• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

QuoteThe question was not if more Valpo fans would attend in Rosemont, IL. The question was would more Valpo fans attend the HL tournament in Englewood (the murder capital of Chicago's Southside). I was comparing downtown Detroit, 4 hours away, to Englewood in Chicago, 45 minutes away.

BTW, I have a customer in Englewood who I have visited after dark on the south side of Chicago.

Englewood is on the southside. Downtown Chicago/most neighborhoods closer the north of the City are pretty much like being a different planet.

For people who aren't familiar with Chicago Neighborhoods most of the violence that occurs in the news happens in a few neighborhoods in Chicago. I literally can not stress enough how different downtown and other neighborhoods are compare to englewood.

VU2014

QuoteThe dedicated fans around the NCAA find ways to attend NCAA tournament games farther away than 4 hours. You complain about the excuses students make yet you find ways not to attend HL tournament games with some fairly lame excuses. How many of you attended Mid+Con tournament games in Kansas City and Tulsa? Detroit is a lot closer than that. BTW. I'll be in Oakland County, MI tonight for the big match up with the Golden Grizzlies.

We have to live in reality.

Feel free to continue to question my fandom to Valpo Basketball.

vufan75

Maybe we can hope Chicago or the available All State Arena will bid for hosting the HL tourney now that DePaul is leaving for their own place downtown Chicago? Or would the HL look into DePaul's new arena availability? Decent transportation in/out of town, big city media exposure, lots to do downtown for fans, etc. And much closer for Green Bay, Milwaukee, UIC, Valpo. And
Kampe likes the city, and restaurants so given his apparent influence maybe he likes the idea. 😉

VU2014

QuoteQuote (selected)
Maybe We can hope Chicago or the available All State Arena will bid for hosting the HL tourney now that DePaul is leaving for their own place downtown Chicago? Or would the HL look into DePaul's new arena availability? Decent transportation in/out of town, big city media exposure, lots to do downtown for fans, etc. And much closer for Green Bay, Milwaukee, UIC, Valpo. And
Kampe likes the city, and restaurants so given his apparent  influence maybe he likes the idea. 😉

I forgot they were building the basketball arena downtown. It's suppose to be right next the McCormick Place and right off the South Shoreline Train, which would be at least easy transportation for our NWI fanbase. That would be interesting. It's suppose to be a 10,000 seat stadium which would be perfect capacity for a Horizon League size championship game. I think the bill for that stadium is going to be split between DePaul and the City, so I'm assuming the City would have some say of which events they'd like to be played there. We signed a 5 yr deal with Olympia Sports, so this is a hypothetical. 

talksalot

I wonder what the attendance records were like when the Mid-Con did have their Conference Tournament at the Rosemost... 1993-94...

We beat Eastern Illinois 74-62 in the first game we played... and lost to "Illinois Chicago" 84-79 in our last game. (to finish 20-8)....
=========================================
Mid-con Tourney Calls Chicago Home, But Will Fans Care?
March 07, 1994|By Mike Conklin.

Grin and bear it. This should be the theme for the Mid-Continent Conference's annual basketball tournament, which began Sunday at the Rosemont Horizon.

That's because the tourney was finally in Chicagoland, after years in podunk locations, and Commissioner Jerry Ippoliti wanted to make it a showcase event. For almost a year, his staff worked diligently at making it first class only to have everything blow up in their faces two months ago with news that the league's most important members-Illinois-Chicago, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Cleveland State, Wright State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee-would bolt at season's end. Mid-Con officials desperately want one of their remaining schools to win this thing and get the NCAA berth. Valparaiso is the only possibility following Sunday's quarterfinals.

AND THE FOLLOWING YEAR:

BUFFALO FIGURES TAKE LEADING ROLES AS BULLS JOIN MID-CONTINENT CONFERENCE
By   Mike Harrington  published Fri, Sep 23, 1994

The conference had been scheduled to stage the tournament at the Rosemont Horizon in suburban Chicago, but contractual snags ended that plan. Steinbrecher said he prefers a central location and UBUFFALO has expressed "initial interest" in serving as host as it did for last year's East Coast Conference tournament.

"We're spread out geographically, so it can be an expensive proposition," Steinbrecher said. "Normally, the host has paid for transportation and lodging and that's something that will have to be addressed."

The Mid-Con underwent big changes after last spring, as six schools bolted to the Missouri Valley Conference. In their place came independent Missouri-Kansas City and five East Coast Conference schools -- UB, Central Connecticut, Chicago State, Troy State and Northeastern Illinois. They join returnees Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, Valparaiso and Youngstown State.

The membership changes mean the Mid-Con will not have its automatic NCAA bid in men's basketball this season because it has not had the required consistent membership over a three-year period. Among the defectors was defending champion Wisconsin-Green Bay, which posted an NCAA upset of California.

Steinbrecher is a candidate for the permanent role as conference commissioner. Former conference head Jerry Ippoliti assumed a similar role with the Mid-American Conference over the summer and Steinbrecher, in his sixth year with the Mid-Con, was named to replace him.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 17, 2017, 12:56:32 PM
QuoteThe dedicated fans around the NCAA find ways to attend NCAA tournament games farther away than 4 hours. You complain about the excuses students make yet you find ways not to attend HL tournament games with some fairly lame excuses. How many of you attended Mid+Con tournament games in Kansas City and Tulsa? Detroit is a lot closer than that. BTW. I'll be in Oakland County, MI tonight for the big match up with the Golden Grizzlies.

We have to live in reality.

Feel free to continue to question my fandom to Valpo Basketball.

I'm with you 2014.  People hate what they don't understand.  Super fans are few and far between.  I'm a hybrid with a healthy dose of reality.  The bigger reason these type of tournaments are bound to fail is because the fan base for ALL of the HL schools is crap.  MVC packed each year?  A10 packed each year?  Let's pretend like they do....it's ONLY because the games have 3-4 real competitors for the title.  The HL hasn't had that in our time in the conference.  Certainly not consistently, because it takes more than a couple years to create a habit/attraction to this format.

It ain't going anywhere for 3 more years, sooooo...how about the new offer to Markus Air Jordan?

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on February 17, 2017, 01:09:13 PM

QuoteQuote (selected)
Maybe We can hope Chicago or the available All State Arena will bid for hosting the HL tourney now that DePaul is leaving for their own place downtown Chicago? Or would the HL look into DePaul's new arena availability? Decent transportation in/out of town, big city media exposure, lots to do downtown for fans, etc. And much closer for Green Bay, Milwaukee, UIC, Valpo. And
Kampe likes the city, and restaurants so given his apparent  influence maybe he likes the idea. 😉

I forgot they were building the basketball arena downtown. It's suppose to be right next the McCormick Place and right off the South Shoreline Train, which would be at least easy transportation for our NWI fanbase. That would be interesting. It's suppose to be a 10,000 seat stadium which would be perfect capacity for a Horizon League size championship game. I think the bill for that stadium is going to be split between DePaul and the City, so I'm assuming the City would have some say of which events they'd like to be played there. We signed a 5 yr deal with Olympia Sports, so this is a hypothetical. 

You would have to check dates but I wonder if DePaul might have use for their own new facility during the HL tournament time. The Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden is March 8-11 this season. Would DePaul be having a conference home game just before their tournament?

EDIT: March 4th the Blue Demons play Xavier in Chicago. Of course maybe arrangements in future seasons could be made for DePaul to finish that last game on the road.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20161005/BLOGS04/161009939/photos-inside-depauls-new-basketball-arena

The new DePaul facility is being built at Cermak and Indiana (northeast corner of that intersection) so I imagine that the McCormick Place/Arie Crown Theater parking garages would be available for events at this facility.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S+Indiana+Ave+%26+E+Cermak+Rd,+Chicago,+IL+60616/@41.8529705,-87.624466,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x880e2c7ef5763e45:0x993a4d5a5e58d22!8m2!3d41.8529705!4d-87.6222773

EDIT: newer picture of the new DePaul Arena

VU2014

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_4d5b01d4-f93b-11e6-ad2d-df4ea2c9f167.html

"NWI Times reporter Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood talk about Valparaiso's senior class following the last home game of the 2016-17 season. Former Valparaiso player Clay Yeo joins Union Street Hoops to share stories about coming in with the Class of 2017."

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/834514696048873472

VU2014

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_d0c821be-fd19-11e6-9dc5-db319790e942.html

NWI Times reporter Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood discuss Alec Peters' injury and preview Motor City Madness. The Voice of the Crusaders, Todd Ickow, drops by to discuss Horizon League postseason awards.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/836300597313830914

bigmosmithfan1

Great episode this week and enjoyed Todd's commentary as well. Paul seemed to hint that not many people appreciate how badly Valpo was screwed by the NCAA in the Keith Carter situation and that VU was stunned by the decision. Squares with what I've heard from some folks around VU - there was literally no recent precedent for the NCAA denying a fifth year for a player with Keith's profile. It's almost like the NCAA just made it up.

(If you're wondering why some of us are still calling for VU or Jubril's family to take legal action against the NCAA in an effort to have Jubril restored, this coming on the heels of the unconscionable Carter decision is a big reason.)

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 17, 2017, 02:38:43 AMI'll be in Detroit supporting Valpo wherever they play and enjoying myself. I've traveled there before and it's not the end of the world and not the horrible place that you want to think that Detroit is. Downtown Detroit IS enjoyable!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I heartily concur.

a3uge

I just listened to the podcast. I like Todd's idea of the tiebreakers being decided by RPI. I think the league needs to start propping up and encouraging good records in the non-conference season. I think voters should use out of conference results as well as in conference results when deciding on awards. Ultimately the strength of the league depends on the out-of-conference season. Playing well in conference has little to do with the overall success of the league.

The standards for the Horizon League seem to drop every year. I'm not sure how the coach of the year can have a plus 100 RPI and finish fourth place in a really weak conference.

I think it's hard to put anyone besides lottich as coach of the year. He had to deal with an All-American out for 10% of the year and hurt for another 20%. He lost a starter for the entire regular season and had to fill it with two freshmen. For God's sake he was playing a walk-on significant minutes towards the end of the season. He's still co won the league and the only reason why he didn't win the league outright is because Cody wichmann missed all three free throws at the end of a game. Valpo finished with the best overall record, the best RPI, and probably the best three out of conference wins. I thought it was a slam dunk with all the adversity he had.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on March 02, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
I just listened to the podcast. I like Todd's idea of the tiebreakers being decided by RPI. I think the league needs to start propping up and encouraging good records in the non-conference season. I think voters should use out of conference results as well as in conference results when deciding on awards. Ultimately the strength of the league depends on the out-of-conference season. Playing well in conference has little to do with the overall success of the league.

The standards for the Horizon League seem to drop every year. I'm not sure how the coach of the year can have a plus 100 RPI and finish fourth place in a really weak conference.

I think it's hard to put anyone besides lottich as coach of the year. He had to deal with an All-American out for 10% of the year and hurt for another 20%. He lost a starter for the entire regular season and had to fill it with two freshmen. For God's sake he was playing a walk-on significant minutes towards the end of the season. He's still co won the league and the only reason why he didn't win the league outright is because Cody wichmann missed all three free throws at the end of a game. Valpo finished with the best overall record, the best RPI, and probably the best three out of conference wins. I thought it was a slam dunk with all the adversity he had.

The voters on this honor don't care about our privileged adversity unfortunately.  We won the league 4/5 years prior and that garners coach no equity.

This is not correct thinking, but it's the same reason everyone wanted the choke artist ATL Falcons to destroy New England.  Think it was our turn as the hated in the HL.

Just Sayin

I just listened to the podcast. I like Todd's idea of the tiebreakers being decided by RPI.

I disagree. Head-to-head wins is the best first-step tie-breaker. Sorry, but if Valpo had beaten Oakland at home and away this year, many here would be singing a different tune and would argue that Valpo should go to the NIT if they lost in the conference tourney. If you can't beat the team you are tied with once during the season, you don't deserve to be ahead of them in any capacity, even with identical records.

a3uge

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 03, 2017, 06:02:08 AM
I just listened to the podcast. I like Todd's idea of the tiebreakers being decided by RPI.

I disagree. Head-to-head wins is the best first-step tie-breaker. Sorry, but if Valpo had beaten Oakland at home and away this year, many here would be singing a different tune and would argue that Valpo should go to the NIT if they lost in the conference tourney. If you can't beat the team you are tied with once during the season, you don't deserve to be ahead of them in any capacity, even with identical records.

You could say, if you can't beat Detroit and Cleveland State at home, you don't deserve to be in first place.

But my point wasn't about fairness or teams deserving something - it was about the overall strength of Horizon League. I still firmly believe in protecting the team that will get the best seed in the NCAA tournament.

M

I don't know that that is Valpo anymore.  Would the committee take into consideration the teams best player not playing when seeding a team?  Could that drop Valpo from a 13 to a 14 (or worse)?  Hopefully that is a discussion we can have in 5 days.

VU2014

QuoteThe standards for the Horizon League seem to drop every year. I'm not sure how the coach of the year can have a plus 100 RPI and finish fourth place in a really weak conference.

Brannen won Coach of the Year because of the overall expectations game. Nobody expected NKU to actually be a competitive team in the Horizon League so soon after moving up from D2. Generally a 4th place, +100RPI team coach shouldn't win.

Same goes for next season. Oakland is going to be huge favorites with the heavy amount of seniors on the roster so if Kampe's team doesn't at least live up to expectations then he'll lose.

My WAY to early guess  for next year Coach of the Year will be UIC's Steve McClain as long as UIC doesn't fall off the tracks and fall on their own faces next season. They have a below .500 record this season but they have a crazy amount of talent on that roster so they should be a competitive team with Dixson being ready for next season. Voters will look at the "improvement" in record and say wow McClain must have done a decent job.

Coach Lottich may have a shot next year also if we win the HL or get close after losing Peters. Preseason expectations from media around the league will be lower, but I think the expectations are that Valpo should still be a Top 2-3-4 team next season.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2017, 10:29:58 AMMy WAY to early guess  for next year Coach of the Year will be UIC's Steve McClain as long as UIC doesn't fall off the tracks and fall on their own faces next season. They have a below .500 record this season but they have a crazy amount of talent on that roster so they should be a competitive team with Dixson being ready for next season. Voters will look at the "improvement" in record and say wow McClain must have done a decent job.
The problem I see coming for UIC is that chemistry could be an issue.  Dixson is not going to come back and put up 25 shots per game like he was doing last year.  You can bring in a lot of new pieces to the puzzle, but if they don't fit together you will never see the whole picture.  The Fort Wayne Mastodon's had that problem this year. Things started out great, but by the time conference came along things were not so hunky-dory in the locker room and suddenly you're 8-8, and the 6 seed in a conference you were suppose to win. 

I think we have been lucky through that last few years to have pretty good team chemistry.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on March 03, 2017, 06:46:20 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2017, 10:29:58 AMMy WAY to early guess  for next year Coach of the Year will be UIC's Steve McClain as long as UIC doesn't fall off the tracks and fall on their own faces next season. They have a below .500 record this season but they have a crazy amount of talent on that roster so they should be a competitive team with Dixson being ready for next season. Voters will look at the "improvement" in record and say wow McClain must have done a decent job.
The problem I see coming for UIC is that chemistry could be an issue.  Dixson is not going to come back and put up 25 shots per game like he was doing last year.  You can bring in a lot of new pieces to the puzzle, but if they don't fit together you will never see the whole picture.  The Fort Wayne Mastodon's had that problem this year. Things started out great, but by the time conference came along things were not so hunky-dory in the locker room and suddenly you're 8-8, and the 6 seed in a conference you were suppose to win. 

I think we have been lucky through that last few years to have pretty good team chemistry.

perhaps luck or perhaps good player selection and good coaching.  Witness Lexus giving up a starter role to a freshman.  All went well and the experiment has concluded with the better player back as a starter.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Totally agree. We recruit not just good players but good, unselfish, team oriented kids. Our kids buy into the TEAM or they aren't here.

FWalum

Quoteperhaps luck or perhaps good player selection and good coaching.  Witness Lexus giving up a starter role to a freshman.  All went well and the experiment has concluded with the better player back as a starter.
You guys are right, I used the wrong word and didn't give our coaches and players enough credit.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

zvillehaze

Not USH, but here's a podcast with some Valpo flavor.  Adam Amin joined the NBC College Basketball Talk podcast late last week.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/nbc-sports/nbcsports-college-basketball-talk-podcast

VU2014

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-motor-city-madness/audio_e83eb45c-0386-11e7-ae78-4f0b6fd5a780.html

"NWI Times reporter Paul Oren checks in from Detroit to begin to make sense of Valparaiso's Horizon League tournament loss to Milwaukee. UIC coach Steve McClain shares thoughts on Motor City Madness upsets and Horizon League Commissioner Jon LeCrone gives his "State of the League" address."

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/839930745099546625

VU2014

NWI Times reporter Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood discuss Valparaiso's final days of the 2016-17 season as well as the beginning of the offseason. Parker shares news about his future.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-postseason-wrap/audio_14e4a7ce-0fed-11e7-bef4-5b1fc35cee5d.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/844974364386832384

vu72

Loved the predictions about starting lineups for next year.  Clearly, Lexus saw the handwriting on the wall regarding point guard play.  One thing overlooked was that not only is Joe Burton a highly recruited kid out of high school, he is (I'm pretty sure) the highest ranked player (ESPN) ever the play for Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015