• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Started by valporun, November 25, 2016, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

valpopal

Quote from: jack on February 17, 2017, 11:41:28 AM
Is the box score correct that Oakland stole the ball from us 29 times?? Is that even possible?

The box score at Valpo web site says 25 turnovers, but it seemed like a lot more in person. Oakland took the ball away from our dribblers at will. In one section of the game, I counted four steals in a row. Schaub alone had 6 turnovers in only 13 minutes of play. It was brutal to witness.

vu72

Quote from: jack on February 17, 2017, 11:41:28 AM
Is the box score correct that Oakland stole the ball from us 29 times?? Is that even possible? 

Yes, unfortunately it is not only possible, it happened.  When your starting point guard has 6 turnovers it can happen pretty quickly.  I watched all I could stand.  After every Oakland basket they would apply full court pressure and as we tried to throw the ball over the top it was interception after interception after interception...well, you get the idea.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

I watched for about 2 minutes near the end of the game and OU stole the ball 3 times... like taking candy from a baby!  It was another embarrassing  loss.  Having a "down year" is one thing...but this is ridiculous..It is hard to believe that we have won 5 games this year.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 17, 2017, 11:44:18 AM
It was 'only' 19.

According to the Box Score, steals by OU were 19, which responded to Jack's simple statement that OU stole the ball 29 times. Turnovers by VU were 25 (which I assume includes the ball being stolen 19 times).  Regardless those are incredible numbers.

Valpo89

Hey - at least the excessive number of turnovers revived this thread after about two weeks of silence.
But guess what? If you go to Motor City Madness, you can watch the women play too!

NativeCheesehead

I disagreed with the decision to bring back Dorow in the only real way I can. For the first time in the 20 combined years i've lived in the Region, I did not go to a single women's game. If we bring in a new coach, record aside I will attend my usual amount (7-10)

IndyValpo

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/konieczny-receives-ibca-award/article_d2dd30ee-f36d-11e6-a74f-03aff8734294.html

Here is next year's point guard. She leads South Bend St Joe vs. traditional power Heritage Christian in the semi-state on Saturday in Crown Point.

Additionally, Katie Collignon who left as an assistant for the AD/Women's Basketball coach at Michigan City Marquette has the Blazers in the Semi-State as well with a group
headed by sophomores. Look for MCC to dominate 1A for the next 3 years.

M

Pretty confident you can blame the previous head coach for recruiting those girls to Marquette.

IndyValpo

Good win over Detroit. I basically only saw the last 14 seconds. Up two, we miss 2 free throws. Detroit sets up a nice play to tie with 6.1. We immediately throw it in to Donchetz who for some reason was just holding the ball under Detroits basket when they fouled her for no reason. 2 made free throws...we win.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 18, 2017, 03:34:02 PM
Good win over Detroit. I basically only saw the last 14 seconds. Up to we miss 2 free throws. Detroit sets up a nice play to tie with 6.1. We immediately throw it in to Donchetz who for some reason was just holding the ball under Detroits basket when they fouled her for no reason. 2 made free throws...we win.

Detroit was sitting in third place at 10-4.  Great win and could be a job saver!  How 8-6 Oakland takes us apart by 28 two days earlier is a head scratcher.   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on February 18, 2017, 04:15:14 PM

Detroit was sitting in third place at 10-4.  Great win and could be a job saver!  How 8-6 Oakland takes us apart by 28 two days earlier is a head scratcher.   :crazy:

This is the scary part, last year after losing 9 in row we won our last game and first game of the conference tourney and it was deemed progress. This year we are going to win basically the same number of games as last year but we will probably win 3 of our last 5. Progress? My opinion no but I have a feeling the AD will.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 19, 2017, 06:14:18 PM

This is the scary part, last year after losing 9 in row we won our last game and first game of the conference tourney and it was deemed progress. This year we are going to win basically the same number of games as last year but we will probably win 3 of our last 5. Progress? My opinion no but I have a feeling the AD will.

I agree with IndyValpo. I did not see any progress with the women's team this season and find it difficult to see what the AD sees in the coach to continue her stint at Valpo. I think since she has a two year deal she will finish out next season but if there is no progress again the coach is the one who needs replaced. I'm sure it's tough for ML to have to let "good" people go but we lose so much when our teams are not competitive.

jack

Every season it seems to be another excuse. First it was, they are playing with Freeman's recruits. In my opinion, most of them were better than the players this staff has brought on board. We haven't had a true point guard since Freeman's recruits moved on. 19 steals the other night is proof of that. Basically, they keep bringing in #2 guards. Then, it's the injuries. Every team has them, and work through them. If memory serves, in one of Freeman's last seasons here, he was playing with 6 healthy players, and a couple of times he had 5. he still managed to win 10 games.
Our lack of success greatly affects our recruiting ability. It also wears on the team, players, and fans. Our coach has had seasons with decent, healthy players and has never matched our potential. To me, it's a flawed philosophy and coaching ability. Regardless of how things end, it's time for a change. The AD owes it to school, players and fans to put this team in the best position to win. Another season of the same won't get it done.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 19, 2017, 06:14:18 PM

As I predicted we win 3 of the last 5 then beat #8 YSU to open the tourney and finish with 10 wins. And we out scored GB by 10 in the 4th Q today (therefore only losing by 29). Will we have a coaching change? If so it should happen soon...

usc4valpo

This result is unacceptable. The coach needs to be canned the program needs a fresh plate. These student athletes get $45000 scholarships every year and they cannot recruit? Seriosuly, this is a no brainer. We need to win. It should not be this difficult.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 04, 2017, 01:13:48 PM
This result is unacceptable. The coach needs to be canned the program needs a fresh plate. These student athletes get $45000 scholarships every year and they cannot recruit? Seriosuly, this is a no brainer. We need to win. It should not be this difficult.

Is that the real face value of a VU athletic scholar?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2017, 01:29:22 PM

[/b]

I would assume so. Basketball and Volleyball are the only true "full ride" scholarships.  All other sports are partial.  So, if you are getting a full ride, I would think that that covers the sticker price, currently $46,680.

valpotx

If that were the case, than every single program at every single school should have a winning program.  Just because you have a full ride, doesn't mean that you guarantee success.  For people that get academic scholarships, do they only make straight A's?  Come on, man :).

It will be a tough decision to make.  We lose 2 Seniors after this season, and both were not key players.  If everyone comes back and we have a coaching change, any success next season will be because of Dorow's recruiting progress with these FR and SOs.

Green Bay is a top 25 program every year in Women's Basketball.  The difference between those programs and the rest of NCAA Women's Basketball is huge.  These types of scores are very common with the haves and have nots.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2017, 01:48:08 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2017, 01:29:22 PM

[/b]

It was $26,000 in the early 2000s.  Inflation calculator says the days money would be $36,279.  So still a $10,000 increase in today's money.

I would assume so. Basketball and Volleyball are the only true "full ride" scholarships.  All other sports are partial.  So, if you are getting a full ride, I would think that that covers the sticker price, currently $46,680.

usc4valpo

tx, I disagree, if you have a Mercedes at $45K, should it beat a Sonata at $24K in a test drive? I think so. 10-21 is unacceptable and they have played poorly the past 3 years. We are not getting the results for the investment and the situation looks like a mess.

"For people that get academic scholarships, do they only make straight A's? " Of course not, but they should not be getting D's and F's.

valpotx

My whole point is that just about every D-1 basketball program gives out full rides to each student-athlete.  The majority of those schools fail on a yearly basis.  YSU gives out full rides to their Men's Basketball players, yet they are routinely at the bottom of the league.  Have those student-athletes failed the school, or was it just that other schools recruit the players they would like to have, but who don't want to go to a school such as YSU?  There are only so many top D-1 Women's Basketball players to go around, and the rest are just usually 'good enough' for D-1, but so far beyond the top players, that it is laughable when they play against the better schools.  This doesn't happen in the Men's games as it does with the Women's.  You often see UConn beating teams by 60 that are in the same conference in the Women's game, which you wouldn't see Duke or UNC do against the rest of the ACC in Men's games. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Tx, you may want to revise that YSU statement....  8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

NativeCheesehead

Bottom line: we are no closer to being a viable, competitive mid major women's program than we were when Dorow was hired. Time to move on.