• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

It's like deferring in football. Trust the defense.

This board gets off task so easily.

agibson

Quote from: M on January 14, 2017, 09:00:47 PMIt's like deferring in football. Trust the defense.

But it's a contest! Who likes to lose contests?

valpolaw

I can't imagine why Jubril would hang out in street clothes on the bench at home games if he isn't going to come back this year.  That doesn't make any sense because he doesn't have another year of eligibility.  The other possibility is that the suspension hasn't been decided yet, which would also be hard to believe given the amount of time that has passed, but who knows.  It sounds like the honor council is some sort of kangaroo court and unfortunately that process may take time to play out.

I also can't imagine Jubril coming back and not jumping right back into the starting line up and getting significant minutes.  Smits/Jay have done a good job replacing him for the time being, but lets be honest, our team was much much better with Jubril in the line up.  Our point guard play hasn't been very good and that leads to sloppy play on both ends.  If I was going to play us, I would full court press us given that we continue to struggle with the press.   

agibson

Quote from: valpolaw on January 15, 2017, 09:28:51 AMI can't imagine why Jubril would hang out in street clothes on the bench at home games if he isn't going to come back this year. 

Condition of his scholarship? But you've got to wonder about the locker room dynamic.

oklahomamick

Regardless if Jubril plays another game in a Valpo uniform, we all hope that he ends up with a degree from Valparaiso University.  I don't know how close he is to obtaining that but no matter what happens I hope he gets that diploma. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2624

Quote from: valpolaw on January 15, 2017, 09:28:51 AMI can't imagine why Jubril would hang out in street clothes on the bench at home games if he isn't going to come back this year.  That doesn't make any sense because he doesn't have another year of eligibility.  The other possibility is that the suspension hasn't been decided yet, which would also be hard to believe given the amount of time that has passed, but who knows.  It sounds like the honor council is some sort of kangaroo court and unfortunately that process may take time to play out. I also can't imagine Jubril coming back and not jumping right back into the starting line up and getting significant minutes.  Smits/Jay have done a good job replacing him for the time being, but lets be honest, our team was much much better with Jubril in the line up.  Our point guard play hasn't been very good and that leads to sloppy play on both ends.  If I was going to play us, I would full court press us given that we continue to struggle with the press.

At this point, the best guess is this is a non Valpo holdup. The Honor Council, if involved, would have met and issued their decision by this time. So while it's convenient to blame the Honor Council because....well we have to blame someone....I'm not sure that blame it appropriately place. Fact is, none of us know what the actual situation is and we are unlikely to ever find out what it is.

VUSL98

The Valparaiso basketball team site indicates that Jubril graduated after his junior year and is pursuing a master's degree.

Chairback

Kudos to Valpo for keeping this somewhat hush hush.  Also, kudos to the university for not rushing to any type of decision just because he is an athlete.

If he truly cheated, there is no excuse and he needs to be expelled from the team and the school.  Simple.

I'm a firm believer in Vu's honor code and think it is great.  Each time I wrote it and signed my name next to it I new if I cheated not only would my true character be majorly flawed but I'd be gone as a student.

If he didn't, and this holding pattern was due to the honor council process it needs to be changed to expedite it for all students.  Kind of like TX brought up, no student should have to wait that long. 

FieldGoodie05

Expelled from the team, possible.  The school after 1 incident...not sure that ever happens or happened.  Severity aside, football players have an anual quota for cheating in the years I was at VU.  Not sure many even served a games suspension.

Times could have changed, but this isn't Singapore where spitting out chewing gum onto the street leads to caning.

VU2624

How about a worst case scenario in which the story about the manager writing papers for Jubril is true and it goes back some time to past semesters? Where would that leave him.....and the team?

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on January 15, 2017, 04:53:23 PM
How about a worst case scenario in which the story about the manager writing papers for Jubril is true and it goes back some time to past semesters? Where would that leave him.....and the team?

My thought exactly.  This could end up being an eligibility issue and if so it could possibly lead to forfeiting games.  Let's hope not.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on January 15, 2017, 03:26:13 PMIf he truly cheated, there is no excuse and he needs to be expelled from the team and the school.  Simple.
How do you or the university define cheating? I only ask because open access to repeated lab files removes up to 90% of the thinking and learning. So by my experience and judgement perhaps 60% of those who passed certain classes at certain unnamed schools should have taken them over.

What is help exactly? If I ask a prof then anything he tells me is fine, but if I ask another student then reengineer his steps and conclusions what exactly have I learned  ???

Quote from: VUSL98 on January 15, 2017, 02:52:26 PMThe Valparaiso basketball team site indicates that Jubril graduated after his junior year and is pursuing a master's degree.
This thickens the plot. Did he really graduate? How many classes might retroactively change to F? Is that even a possibility? I am so confused!

Chairback

Quote from: justducky on January 15, 2017, 05:54:05 PMHow do you or the university define cheating?

I have neither given or received, nor have I tolerated others' use of unauthorized aide.

vu72

Define "Unauthorized".  Asking another student for help understanding an issue is not unauthorized.  Having another student write a paper is.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 15, 2017, 07:11:08 PMHaving another student write a paper is.
This is obvious and I agree.
Quote from: vu72 on January 15, 2017, 07:11:08 PMDefine "Unauthorized".  Asking another student for help understanding an issue is not unauthorized.
This is still murky. As I said before "What is help exactly?" If the learning process has been short circuited by acceptance of others doing your hard thinking what is its value?
Quote from: justducky on January 15, 2017, 05:54:05 PMbut if I ask another student then reengineer his steps and conclusions what exactly have I learned 
Let me ask this again. If the only way you can solve a problem is by having someone else do the thinking for you, have you cheated?

OK I agree. This thread hyjacking now has very little to do with Jubril. Sorry!

M

I'm starting to think we've seen the end of Jubril Adekoya in a Valpo uniform. (By stating this I'm hoping that he will be dressed and ready to go tomorrow.)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 15, 2017, 08:42:04 PM
I'm starting to think we've seen the end of Jubril Adekoya in a Valpo uniform. (By stating this I'm hoping that he will be dressed and ready to go tomorrow.)

It's getting down to this game or Sunday and then he's out for the year I've got to think. 

Undoubtedly we had bad timing with end of semester, but this is the first full week back.

4throwfan

Kind of a dumb question, but if the period of "suspended play" continues much longer, does Jubril and the team have the option of redshirting this year?  Did he play too many games already?  Does suspension for cause count toward sufficient reasons for missing games?  If the fact-finder (whoever that is; HC, NCAA) determines that Jubril did nothing wrong, then the suspension would be without cause?  Obviously, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I like to look at positive options.  If the option is there, may want to think about that soon.  Jubril can just get another degree.

M

I would bet my next paycheck that a suspension is not grounds for issuing a redshirt.

4throwfan

I wouldn't bet against you.  What if the suspension is later deemed unfounded?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 15, 2017, 09:29:55 PM
I wouldn't bet against you.  What if the suspension is later deemed unfounded?

It's my belief that WE as a program are holding him out.  If it were the NCAA then there's a leg to stand on, if it's our call he's done

wh

I think we need to consider the possibility that the Council had already decided Jubril's fate in early December, when we first became aware that he had been suspended. In other words, rather than currently being suspended from the team while awaiting his "sentence," maybe his suspension is part of his sentence.

Tonight will be the 10th game since Jubril last played. Just pure conjecture, but IF he received a 10-game suspension as part of his "sentence," this whole issue could be almost over.

VU2624

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2017, 05:21:10 AMI think we need to consider the possibility that the Council had already decided Jubril's fate in early December, when we first became aware that he had been suspended. In other words, rather than currently being suspended from the team while awaiting his "sentence," maybe his suspension is part of his sentence. Tonight will be the 10th game since Jubril last played. Just pure conjecture, but IF he received a 10-game suspension as part of his "sentence," this whole issue could be almost over.

I'm not sure the Honor Council would be in the business of issuing sports suspensions. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that they act on academics...a failing grade, suspended scholastically for a semester, expulsion. How the Basketball program would react may be more the answer. Maybe the Basketball program has, for instance, a 5 game suspension per HC violation and he had 2 HC dings.

All this is speculation though and we'll probably never find out what the deal really is.

valpotx

I hate saying it, but this Jubril absence has really developed our future big men.  Smits and Sorolla would not be anywhere near what they are now, without the last 9 games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JPEven

Quote from: agibson on January 15, 2017, 09:31:05 AMI can't imagine why Jubril would hang out in street clothes on the bench at home games if he isn't going to come back this year.  Condition of his scholarship? But you've got to wonder about the locker room dynamic.

Well, I'd say he has some coaching value.  Certainly in practice. 

Additionally, since Valpo is a school that gives a crap about character and making these guys in to decent adults, I'd say the best punishment for something like this is having a front row seat to how much your stupid actions have cost your friends...