• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

No one is asking for forgiveness. We are simply asking for a reasonable penalty. 2 games suspension, 5...how about 10?
The whole year? seriously?!!!!
NCAA  :crazy:

ValpoHoops

The fact that the University recommended a half-season suspension to the NCAA suggests to me that this wasn't simply an easy issue to dissect. Say what you want about the NCAA (and we all have plenty to say), VU offered 16ish games as a punishment in the hopes that Jubril could return to the court.

The NCAA isn't to blame here. They've got issues for sure, but there's really only one place to point the finger. Whatever happened - and all that came from it - started in one place.

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 20, 2017, 02:21:29 PM
The fact that the University recommended a half-season suspension to the NCAA suggests to me that this wasn't simply an easy issue to dissect. Say what you want about the NCAA (and we all have plenty to say), VU offered 16ish games as a punishment in the hopes that Jubril could return to the court.

The NCAA isn't to blame here. They've got issues for sure, but there's really only one place to point the finger. Whatever happened - and all that came from it - started in one place.
We should expell Jubril then - the only one to blame is him!

bigmosmithfan1

Quit rolling over for the NCAA. This is a punishment that would never be levied against a Power 5 program, much less levied mid-season and left to drag on for two months. I sincerely hope Jubril and VU have talked to attorneys about seeking a TRO at a minimum, and force the NCAA to try and justify their decision out in the open.

usc4valpo

remember that we are all sinners

this punishment is ridiculas man.

Fantastic

J.A. should have been suspended by the coach and the university. For a university that prides itself on high ethics and morals, this is a disgrace. JA let his teammates down, his parents down, the university down, and every fan down. Then he was a distraction for the entire year. His teammates wearing black t-shirts to support him? That's what is ridiculous. It's not like he was in some accident and is showing courage to play again or walk again. He should have been kicked off the team in December. Then the team could have focused on games, not his case.

bigmosmithfan1

OK, guy who trashes a player with his first post based on... ?

valpolaw

Quote from: Fantastic on February 20, 2017, 03:25:15 PMJ.A. should have been suspended by the coach and the university. For a university that prides itself on high ethics and morals, this is a disgrace. JA let his teammates down, his parents down, the university down, and every fan down. Then he was a distraction for the entire year. His teammates wearing black t-shirts to support him? That's what is ridiculous. It's not like he was in some accident and is showing courage to play again or walk again. He should have been kicked off the team in December. Then the team could have focused on games, not his case.

Do you even know the details of what he did?  If you don't, then I don't know how you could come to the conclusions you reached.  Even if he did do something wrong, which everyone does at some point in life, he deserves a fair/reasonable punishment and timely resolution.

78crusader

Fantastic makes some valid points IMO.

Paul

crusadermoe

Painful or not, the best thing for Jubril to do on Senior Night is to own the mistake and the consequences. it would be an emotionally draining and painful thing to do.  But it would spare a lot of awkwardness of the night and set the right tone for him.  That would make him a true hero and make a statement to young kids who are watching all of this play out.

While the punishment might be harsh (we don't know), he should be proud to have admitted  the guilt and stayed to cheer on the team while it was adjudicated. His future in the work world will be better served if he just owns what he did. 

VU2624

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2017, 01:40:30 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on February 19, 2017, 10:44:03 AMLet's keep in mind that Jubril, apparently, may have used whatever unauthorized aid he received to turn into Honor Roll recognition as well as separate NCAA academic leadership recognition. While we don't know the full extent of what aid Adekoya received or for what class whether rollover or not, if that's not troubling to you, no amount of anyone's opinion is going to sway anyone's opinion.
On one hand you state that we don't know the full extent of what Jubril did, yet in the same breath you suggest that he's a serial cheater and academic fraud. In another post you noted that the only one who knows the truth is Jubril, then cautioned that his story might lack credibility. In yet another post, you suggest that the inexcusable length of time this thing has dragged on is immaterial. Whether the university or the NCAA mishandled the investigation - immaterial. Whether the punishment fits the crime - immaterial. So, what is material in your world - that Jubril brought this whole thing on himself. Period. End of story. For others who might be interested, I would suggest that this poster's inference that Jubril is a long term cheater is highly unlikely. According to the university's academic policy, if Jubril had been found guilty of cheating in multiple courses, he would have failed those courses. In turn, he would not have been considered a student in good standing, nor been eligible to participate in athletics. There would have been no need to wait for an NCAA decision.

"Apparently"

If a guy on the Honor Roll and on a student athlete committee for the entire NCAA is caught having a paper or papers written for him I find that to be a pretty big problem.....if that is what "apparently" happened. 

Whether it should result in "x" number of games suspended (including the school which proposed a half season indicating that it had to be pretty serious) is up to anyone's opinion including those who appear to be overly invested in the situation. "I just want my player back!!"

Whatever it is that did happen, it was pretty serious if the school was willing to go with a suspension as long as was suggested. That may shed more light on the level of the problem than anything anyone is sourcing, speculating or throwing up against a wall.

FWalum

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 20, 2017, 03:09:44 PM
Quit rolling over for the NCAA. This is a punishment that would never be levied against a Power 5 program, much less levied mid-season and left to drag on for two months. I sincerely hope Jubril and VU have talked to attorneys about seeking a TRO at a minimum, and force the NCAA to try and justify their decision out in the open.
I am almost certain now that the difference between this happening to a small mid-major program and a Power 5 program is exposure and risk. The NCAA has little or no risk in our situation versus a P5 team and they virtually have no negative exposure.  This issue with JA will not be covered by any significant media, where if this had happened at Kansas or Kentucky it would have been big time news putting additional pressure for a positive outcome on the NCAA.  I find it hard to believe that if a P5 school had said that a player was in good academic standing and actually made that statement public, that the NCAA would not fold to their will.  Valpo has no such leverage.

I also want to say that no one outside of the immediate "players" know what JA's issue really is.  This has never appeared to me to be a "normal" academic issue. We heard some initial rumors about "the manager", but no specifics that have been verified. We have heard nothing about this being taken to or ruled on by the Honor Council and I don't think it is the norm for a school with a good academic reputation to state that a "cheating" student "continues to be a student in good standing" or that this "doesn't change Jubril's legacy as a champion Valparaiso University basketball player or student". None of this makes any sense unless the circumstances are unusual.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ValpoHoops

Quote from: FWalum on February 20, 2017, 05:38:19 PMI don't think it is the norm for a school with a good academic reputation to state that a "cheating" student "continues to be a student in good standing" or that this "doesn't change Jubril's legacy as a champion Valparaiso University basketball player or student".

While I wholeheartedly agree that Valpo wouldn't do that if it were not true, it is well within the realm of possibilities that Jubril WAS in good academic standing and still had this situation occur.

All that I take "good academic standing" to mean is that he is on the proper track to graduate on time and has the GPA to do so. In this situation - WITH ZERO FACTS, AND I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS IS MERELY MY PERSONAL OPINION - the thought that comes to mind is that whatever happened caused Jubril to fail one or more classes, which caused him to fall below the threshold for full-time (even as a graduate student), which caused him to be ineligible. Despite that, he still had the total credits and GPA to be considered in good academic standing.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 20, 2017, 05:38:19 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on February 20, 2017, 03:09:44 PM
I am almost certain now that the difference between this happening to a small mid-major program and a Power 5 program is exposure and risk. The NCAA has little or no risk in our situation versus a P5 team and they virtually have no negative exposure.  This issue with JA will not be covered by any significant media, where if this had happened at Kansas or Kentucky it would have been big time news putting additional pressure for a positive outcome on the NCAA.  I find it hard to believe that if a P5 school had said that a player was in good academic standing and actually made that statement public, that the NCAA would not fold to their will.  Valpo has no such leverage.

I also want to say that no one outside of the immediate "players" know what JA's issue really is.  This has never appeared to me to be a "normal" academic issue. We heard some initial rumors about "the manager", but no specifics that have been verified. We have heard nothing about this being taken to or ruled on by the Honor Council and I don't think it is the norm for a school with a good academic reputation to state that a "cheating" student "continues to be a student in good standing" or that this "doesn't change Jubril's legacy as a champion Valparaiso University basketball player or student". None of this makes any sense unless the circumstances are unusual.

Sucks, it really does.  But for those of you working in the real world, this happens in every aspect of life. 

We should be frustrated, but it's not going to change.  If a customer of mine is small and loud....it just makes them obnoxious.  Big and loud (some would argue is Trump) makes you heard, albeit not in a wholesome way.

Let's effect what we can effect.  This is what makes fandom so gut wrenching....all we can do is watch.  Unless I'm missing something...is one of us a closet billionaire?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpolaw on February 20, 2017, 03:42:35 PM
Quote from: Fantastic on February 20, 2017, 03:25:15 PMJ.A. should have been suspended by the coach and the university. For a university that prides itself on high ethics and morals, this is a disgrace. JA let his teammates down, his parents down, the university down, and every fan down. Then he was a distraction for the entire year. His teammates wearing black t-shirts to support him? That's what is ridiculous. It's not like he was in some accident and is showing courage to play again or walk again. He should have been kicked off the team in December. Then the team could have focused on games, not his case.

Do you even know the details of what he did?  If you don't, then I don't know how you could come to the conclusions you reached.  Even if he did do something wrong, which everyone does at some point in life, he deserves a fair/reasonable punishment and timely resolution.

I think what is being said is that the fair and reasonable punishment COULD have been booting him off the team back in December.  Maybe WE possibly caused all this drama ourselves as an administration?

It's conceivable that WE used the NCAA as the "bad guy" to maintain a relationship with Jubril rather then being the bad cop.  After all, this team is very close knit...I don't envy coach that decision.

Wish Jubril great success in life, but I'm thinking we never find out the true extent.  Sure missed him this year though.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 20, 2017, 10:58:11 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2017, 11:47:02 AM
QuoteThe NCAA does treat criminal issues and issues vs. the "program" differently. Academic problems and aid to an athlete which is outside the rules will be treated more harshly in a lot of cases than issues involving the criminal justice system. Whether that's fair or not is subject to opinion.

There is a reason why the NCAA is so harsh and academic issues and unauthorized financial compensation. It's because it is at the heart of the NCAA business model and financing structure. If they appear to start getting relax on academics and getting soft the student part of student athlete then it softens the case to say that they are student athletes therefore they shouldn't get paid. Same goes for if they start to allow student athletes to be blatantly paid.

If Male Football and basketball athletes start to get paid then 'Title IX' gets to become a problem and maybe through the courts they have to start paying their female counterparts which are a net loss for revenue and actually cost athletic departments $ because they can't sustain themselves financially. If basketball and football get paid then via the court system they maybe have to pay other student athletes in different sports. It's sort of the slippery slope argument. I believe I read in the Washington Post that in most athletic departments only Football and Mens basketball programs make a profit or break even, and those profits are used to subsidize most other athletic sports team at the college.

Thats why I believe the NCAA is so harsh on academic and cases of paying student athletes. If the NCAA was force to actually pay athletes I don't think Schools like Valpo would have a very large athletics program or competitive one. Now there is an argument for small stipends and paying for food while at school but then we're getting into a whole different debate.

I think that wh has a very good point here. I would add that the reason why the NCAA treats academic and aid issues more harshly is that they are within their legal domain to do so. There is no criminal code with laws related to discovery and due process that can supersede anything that the NCAA does. Consider, for example, a student-athlete arrested for theft and the police investigate the crime, charges are filed and the process through the courts ensues. I doubt that the NCAA can gain access to non-public information regarding a criminal investigation. Thus, if they suspend the student-athlete, they are at risk of him or her being found not guilty and they have (at least from a legal perspective) unjustly punished the student-athlete. For academic and aid issues, the NCAA is the governing and investigative body and member institutions agree to give them that power when they sign up as NCAA members.

Keep in mind the revenue from large team sports like VU football and track which pay out no scholarships but attract around 100 tuition paying students in each.

Many of which do NOT qualify for university funded academic scholarships either.

But you all make superb points...this is a give one, give ALL world since title 9.

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on February 20, 2017, 03:51:57 PM
Fantastic makes some valid points IMO.

Paul

Yes, and this board attacks him for making some valid points and somehow surmizing that just because it's his first post that it isn't valid and would be better if it was his 3rd? 5th? 9th? post. This happens way too often on this board and I always feel the new poster gets the shaft simply because he is brand new. Some people lurk for a while and don't post but when a topic comes along they feel obligated to voice their opinion. That is all it is. Their opinion. No better or worse than anyone else's opinion.

valpopal

I think it is significant to remind ourselves that nobody on this discussion board, including those declaring Jubril should have been dismissed from the team, knows the full facts of the situation. On the other hand, those who are familiar with most of the details or even who know all the specifics of the whole episode—the players, the players' families, the head coach, the assistant coaches, the Athletic Director, the legal staff who made the appeal, the President of Valparaiso University, and others—have put themselves and the university on record through expression of their words or by their actions that they believe the NCAA punishment is too harsh for the violation committed. Given those options, I will choose to side with the individuals possessing the most knowledge of the case.

elephtheria47

I agree that he/she made some fantastic points in their initial post.

VUBBFan

Yes, Jubril let his team down by breaking the rules. However the distraction comes from the disagreement between the University and the NCAA on the punishment. I believe there was some sort of gag rule where no one was to talk about it while the disagreement about punishment was being hashed out. That left everyone in the dark and frustrated thinking nothing was being done. The black t-shirts were support for Jabril prodding to get a answer from the NCAA and were made and worn before the final decision was given just before game time. So I don't think it was ridiculous to show support for their team mate hoping for his possible return at that time.

wh

I don't even know how at this point anyone can call what the team did "ridiculous."  Showing team unity can have 1 of 3 possible effects - positive, negative, or no effect. Calling it "ridiculous" erroneously assumes that it can only have a negative outcome, which is no more likely than either of the other 2 possibilities.

Fantastic

It's just my opinion that when the coach and the team talk about their flat performance against Oakland and talk about the distractions I don't see how that can be positive. So I disagree it's "erroneous." It should be an honor and privilege to put on the Valpo jersey and each person that does so should be held to the highest standard. 

justducky

Quote from: Fantastic on February 21, 2017, 05:42:57 PMIt should be an honor and privilege to put on the Valpo jersey and each person that does so should be held to the highest standard. 
As stated that will get no arguments.

Quote from: Fantastic on February 21, 2017, 05:42:57 PMIt's just my opinion that when the coach and the team talk about their flat performance against Oakland and talk about the distractions I don't see how that can be positive.
Since everyone close to this situation thought the punishment to be excessive, the flat performance was predictable and perhaps cathartic. Its a difficult thing for human beings not to behave like human beings.

VU2014

I think we are going in circles around here on the Jubril thing.

It is what is. NCAA made a decision and we have to live with it.

We'd all like to know what happen and all the details but we are not going hear anything about it till the end of the season, if ever. I hope Jubril sits down with Paul after the season to discuss what happened after the season. The team and the athletic department are not going to discuss it. It would be nothing but a distraction to elaborate on what happened right now.

I also find it quite hilarious that some folks are the moral/punishment jury who are declaring the punishment was justified when they know absolutely no details of the situation, while the President, AD, legal team and coaches are publicly disagreeing with the harshness of the punishment. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourselves.

bbtds

Maybe for his future endeavors and employment Jubril would like it all to be forgotten and not discuss it with Paul or any other reporter. I stated this in my first post on this subject way after the thread had gone on for a month or two.

It truly is over, the punishment has been given out by the NCAA. Many deemed it excessive punishment but at the end of the day Jubril most likely wants to put it all behind him and focus on his future.