• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Next years transfers

Started by IndyValpo, January 01, 2017, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

He's not staying for the espn2 Oakland game Friday? 

I always thought having a recruit attend one of of our HL tourney games on campus was a huge advantage.  To be able to show them a packed Arc, meaningful game and a game usually on ESPN2 or espnU would be a great on campus recruiting experience. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusader05

If he's looking to make his decision quickly than I can see him making two quick trips if he plans to be a mid season transfer.

FieldGoodie05

Interesting picture.  Who is defending Tom Wilson here?

talksalot

If weather is an issue... for those out of town, we received a dusting of snow overnight... and it's a bit chilly... BUT... here's Boise's forecast for Friday morning:

Temp and Windchill

6:00 AM  clear FRI, JAN 6   Clear -3°   -15°    5%   80%   SE 5 mph
7:00 AM  clear FRI, JAN 6   Clear -3°   -15°    5%   79%   SE 6 mph
8:00 AM  clear FRI, JAN 6   Clear -4°   -16°    5%   79%   SE 6 mph
9:00 AM  sunny FRI, JAN 6 Sunny -4°   -15°    5%   80%   SE 5 mph
10:00 AM sunny FRI, JAN 6 Sunny 0°     -11°    5%   79%   SE 5 mph
11:00 AM sunny FRI, JAN 6 Sunny 3°      -7°    5%   73%   SE 5 mph

Valpo Wins again.

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on January 05, 2017, 02:00:14 PM
If weather is an issue... for those out of town, we received a dusting of snow overnight... and it's a bit chilly... BUT... here's Boise's forecast for Friday morning:

Temp and Windchill

Valpo Wins again.
Maybe those days only.  Having lived in the Rocky Mountains for nearly 10 years, I would take a Sunny 3 degree day in Boise over an average day in Valpo.  Dryer air = feels warmer in the winter.  Where Valpo can go three weeks without seeing the sun, Boise probably rarely goes 3 full days without the sun peaking out a bit. 

The average high for Jan/Feb in Boise is 38/45.  The average for Valpo is 31/35. 

:twocents:

valpo84

Quote from: covufan on January 05, 2017, 02:49:05 PM

Temp and Windchill

Valpo Wins again.
Maybe those days only.  Having lived in the Rocky Mountains for nearly 10 years, I would take a Sunny 3 degree day in Boise over an average day in Valpo.  Dryer air = feels warmer in the winter.  Where Valpo can go three weeks without seeing the sun, Boise probably rarely goes 3 full days without the sun peaking out a bit. 

The average high for Jan/Feb in Boise is 38/45.  The average for Valpo is 31/35. 

Hey, you're not helping here....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on January 05, 2017, 03:17:48 PM
Quote from: covufan on January 05, 2017, 02:49:05 PM

Temp and Windchill

Valpo Wins again.

Hey, you're not helping here....

Trying to add reality.  Yes, I think Valpo would be a great landing spot - basketball and degree-wise.  Just don't try to sell me (or recruits) on Valpo weather.  That spin may work on some...

VU2014

https://twitter.com/BJRains/status/817452571317018624

Just checked the weather there, its 8/-1 degrees in Boise today. Not great weather. Maybe it could make the trip to Boise feel worse and may have an impact on the decision. I'm looking for every reason for this kid to want Valpo over them haha.

Whats better? To be the first team he see or the last team? I'm completely biased, but I if I take off my Valpo FanBoy blinders, I still think we are a better fit/opportunity from an outsiders perspective.

Apparently Boise has senior player named Nicholas Duncan from Australia.

I wonder if Rowdy could put in a good word for us. I'm sure they know each other from both competing on the National Team.

wh

I looked at the Forbes university rankings 1-650. Valpo is 61st percentile; BSU 7th (meaning 93% of universities are ranked higher. So there's that.
VU is 60 miles from an international airport with daily non-stops to/from Melbourne. Boise State is in the exact middle of nowhere.
Boise has prettier scenery and cold dry (instead of cold damp) weather.
Oh, I almost forgot, Valpo's bb program is superior with a better national reputation and a soon-to-be 1st round draft choice.
Oh, Valpo has a great reputation of recruiting successful international players.

I report, Tom decides. Fair and balanced.

VULB#62

BSU is 10-4 right now, just beat UNLV and plays San Diego State (8-6) tomorrow (when Wilson is there).

He is searching for a fit but.... his knowledgebase is SMU and some great facilities and a big budget.  Valpo cannot say that.  Boise perhaps can.  It's whether he, like, for instance Derrick, feels comfortable in a family setting vs. a big state university.  That's where Rowdy could help us out.

Enrollment: 19,122 UGs
Taco Bell Arena (on campus):  14,480  12,380 now after renovation

They have a recently built 10,000 sq.ft.  basketball complex.

http://www.broncosports.com/facilities/bosu-arguinchona-basketball-complex.html

That's what we are competing with at the D-I level for top flight recruits, folks.  Sorry to say that if I was a 20 year old I'd be blown away. I'm not holding my breath.

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 06, 2017, 04:15:56 PMI looked at the Forbes university rankings 1-650. Valpo is 61st percentile; BSU 7th (meaning 93% of universities are ranked higher. So there's that.
VU is 60 miles from an international airport with daily non-stops to/from Melbourne. Boise State is in the exact middle of nowhere.
Boise has prettier scenery and cold dry (instead of cold damp) weather.
Oh, I almost forgot, Valpo's bb program is superior with a better national reputation and a soon-to-be 1st round draft choice.
Oh, Valpo has a great reputation of recruiting successful international players.

I report, Tom decides. Fair and balanced.
Hmmm  Brief. Reasoned. Logical. Seems like the simpler that wh argues his points the easier they are for me to understand.

Hmmmm   What might that say about me?

VULB#62

I might add that the, yes, Rocky Mountain schools are generally in the middle of nowhere.  But Boise is a city of over 200,000 and the university is a major player in the area.  And Rocky Mountain college towns are fun places to be -- my daughter lives in Bozeman, MT and the Montana State influence is all over as is U of M in Missoula.  They have a friendly small town atmosphere with a big town flair. People there come to games and it is pretty much the only show in town.

Average attendance figures for BSU games:
09-10       3061
10-11       4594
11-12       4367
12-13       6394
13-14       6810
14-15       5774
15-16       6271

I'm not giving up on the kid, but we are up against a pretty impressive set of factors.  Plus there's already an Aussie out there.

valpopal

Quote from: VU75 on January 01, 2017, 05:54:33 PM
So I'm guessing that Middleton will transfer to a junior college next semester and be eligible to play next season.
Middleton has apparently signed with Palm Beach State and has already enrolled for the spring semester.

valpotx

Good luck to Middleton, regardless of why he couldn't play here.  Boise State is a terrible choice, if you ever have to fall back on your degree...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on January 06, 2017, 07:44:41 PM
Boise State is a terrible choice, if you ever have to fall back on your degree...

He's an Aussie.  Think he'll stick around the US of  A?  It's about basketball.  Period.  After he exhausts his eligibility he'll go either to Europe, if he's good enough, or back down under and there no one cares about where in the US he got his degree. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hope he'll see the light and commit to Valpo  ;).

FieldGoodie05

So what's the official ruling on Middleton's now open scholarship?  Are we punished by not having his scholarship available for this semester?  Or can Tom Wilson be given his slot to get him into this semester on scholarship? 

I mean having that open scholarship and not being able to sign up a mid season transfer seems a little ridiculous?

M

VU2014

QuoteHe picked Boise State 😡

damn...

I guess we didn't have a scholarship open. Burned a scholarship on Middleton who didn't player a single minute.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/817938846298112000

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/817939056034217985

The Boise State Basketball coach...
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/816749846061268992

https://twitter.com/BroncoSportsMBB/status/817902139867439105

IndyValpo

So 43 posts in......no one has seen our transfers practice I guess.

valpotx

Good for him, and I can understand if we didn't have an immediate scholarship for him to slot into.  On to the next one!
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2017, 06:32:39 PM
Good for him, and I can understand if we didn't have an immediate scholarship for him to slot into.  On to the next one!

I had assumed Middleton's scholarship would be available for the spring semester, but Paul is much closer to the situation and I assume he's done his homework. 

sliman

I'm with Zville.  If Middleton left because he wanted to go somewhere else, why wouldn't his scholarship become available? Doesn't someone on scholarship usually have to get a release before they can transfer?  And we all know that scholarships are not guaranteed for four years, and maybe they are semester by semester.  Perhaps there is some "face saving" going on here.

wh

So, he is enrolled and attending classes at a different university, and Valpo's paying for it?  Is that correct ???

That's a new one on me.

M

His scholarship is available, c'mon fellas. That Aussie dude just wanted to go elsewhere. I say, give this new scholly to Sasha's best hooper friend as a package deal to get Sasha.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on January 07, 2017, 11:42:42 PM

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/817939056034217985

I think it's a huge positive that this kid would even take a visit to Valpo knowing he couldn't get a scholarship.  Says a lot about the reputation of this program.