• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Next years transfers

Started by IndyValpo, January 01, 2017, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2017, 09:34:19 PMSo, he is enrolled and attending classes at a different university, and Valpo's paying for it?  Is that correct ??? That's a new one on me.

Pretty sure it's nothing like that... his scholarship is just "burned" for this year in terms of the total scholarships allowed by NCAA. I'm not as familiar with the complexities of this rule as I used to be, but if I recall, once a player is on scholarship during an academic year, he counts towards VU's total for NCAA purposes, even if he leaves later that same year. The way the NCAA counts is pretty straightforward and unforgiving, to prevent some schools from pulling circumvent-the-salary-cap type of shenanigans. (In fact, I remember a couple of midseason transfers during Homer's tenure who had to pay their own way for their first semester on campus for that very reason - the way the rule is - or at least was - written, you basically had to prove a transfer over the scholarship limit was a paying walk-on, to prevent teams from stashing transfers on track scholarships and the like to get around it).

VU2014

Remember near Valpo transfer Tom Wilson's teammate Froling from SMU? He transferred to Marquette in 2017 and is now transferring again. Could Valpo be in play this time around? He's a former 4 star C/PF. He's a good shooter for that size. His brother is Top 100 recruit who is going to play his college ball at Creighton next season. He may be going pro though.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/977324117073514497
https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/977300274892087296

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/harry-froling-1.html

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/harry-froling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGaHQP53GI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHwDovrzKZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5fxmYgk3ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk39Wh5ArYY

Pgmado

Froling is turning pro back home for a year and then automatically entering the NBA Draft in 2019. He won't go to another college.

valpo64

It looks like transferring is out of the question but who in the world would want a guy who has already transferred twice??

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on March 24, 2018, 10:22:50 AM
It looks like transferring is out of the question but who in the world would want a guy who has already transferred twice??

Brandon Wood

Chairback

Lots of chatter out there about a 6'7 transfer coming to campus this week. 

VUGrad1314

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Is it the kid from Arizona who is best friends with Sackey? (please say yes)

vufan75

Names. We need a name pretty please! Inquiring minds want to know. Promise not to tell anybody. [emoji6][emoji459][emoji102][emoji91]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 24, 2018, 08:12:54 PM
Is it the kid from Arizona who is best friends with Sackey? (please say yes)

I wish lol. Akot said he's returning to Arizona.

VU2014

Quote from: Chairback on March 24, 2018, 05:30:52 PM
Lots of chatter out there about a 6'7 transfer coming to campus this week. 

All this info is from verbal commits. This is VC's list of D1 transfers between the heights of 6'6" to 6'8". This list doesn't include JUCO guys. I feel like an immediately eligible transfer might be more likely if it's a PF. It could be a JUCO guy like Tyshawn Davis who is rumored to have received a offer from Valpo.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018?division=D1

List of available Transfers who are 6'7":
-SF Carson Williams NKU SO   (he was being recruited to NKU while Coach Rags was on their staff)
-PF   Nolan Taylor SO   Pepperdine   
-PF   Darius Hicks SO   NC State   
-SF   Devin Haygood JR   Youngstown State
-PF   Kellen Manek RS FR   Oral Roberts   
-PF   Nelson Nweke SR   Arkansas State (grad transfer)
-PF   Damien Sears RS FR   Jacksonville   

List of available transfers who are 6'8":
-SF   Xeyrius Williams JR   Dayton
-PF   Jack Williams RS JR   Pacific (grad-transfer)
-PF   Kenechukwu Chukwuka SO   Pittsburgh      
-PF   Evan Clayborne SO   Cleveland State      
-PF   Harrison Curry JR   Louisiana Tech      
-3 star   PF   Ellis Dozier RS SO   Ohio   (grad transfer)   
-PF   Devenir Duruisseau JR   Washington   (grad transfer)   
-3 star   PF   Keith Fisher III RS FR   San Jose State      
-PF   Otas Iyekekpolor RS JR   Central Arkansas   (grad transfer)
-SG   Robert Johnson FR   The Citadel
-3 star   PF   Josh Martin RS JR   Cal Poly (grad transfer)
-2.7 star   PF   Donovan Mitchell SO   Wake Forest
-PF   Andrew Moemeka RS SO   Wyoming
-3.3 star   C   Quadri Moore SR   Cincinnati
-PF   Jalen Morgan RS JR   Western Illinois      (grad transfer)
-PF   Shawn O'Connell RS JR   Georgia Southern   (grad transfer)
-SF   Malik Osborne FR   Rice      
-PF   Ramses Sandifer JR   Louisiana-Monroe (grad transfer)
-PF   Austin Stone JR   Portland      
-PF   Roderick Taylor RS JR   Louisiana-Monroe   (grad transfer)

List of available transfers who are 6'6":
-PF   Gerald Blount SO   Saint Joseph's
-SF   Armani Branch SR   VMI      (grad transfer)
-3 star   PF   David Caraher FR   Houston Baptist
-PG   Jamaal David RS FR   Charleston Southern      
-2.3 star   SG   Ar'Mond Davis SR   Alabama      (grad transfer)
-SF   Duncan Douglas RS JR   Maine
-PF   Charles Dudley FR   Bryant      
-PF   Solomon Hainna JR   Evansville      (grad transfer/I bet he'll be blocked from transferring to Valpo)
-SG   Braun Hartfield SO   Youngstown State      
-SG   Jaycee Hillsman JR   San Jose State      
-SF   D'Angelo Hunter JR   West Virginia   
-3 star   SF   Shamiel Stevenson FR   Pittsburgh
-SG   Ryan Taylor RS JR   Evansville      (grad transfer/he going to be blocked from coming to Valpo)
-3 star   SG   Richard Washington SO   Wake Forest   

valpotx

If you are a grad transfer, I don't think that you can be blocked from any schools.  Can you?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 24, 2018, 10:41:02 PM
If you are a grad transfer, I don't think that you can be blocked from any schools.  Can you?

I believe that's true. I just don't see any of the Evansville transfers coming here. Ryan Taylor is apparently getting serious interest from Nebraska.

VUGrad1314

Which would mean fewer minutes for Nana Akenton...

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 24, 2018, 11:06:06 PM
Which would mean fewer minutes for Nana Akenton...

On twitter he just said he's looking for a videographer. Maybe to make a new highlight package to send to coaches? Probably a stretch but he'd be amazing get for Valpo. It does look like he might be buried on the bench with freshman coming in at the same position as him and with 2 upper classman SFs ahead of him in the depth chart. He had 26 DNPs for Nebraska and only played 21 total minutes this season (1 minute of conference play).
https://twitter.com/nbasfuture/status/977704560025374720

ValpoDad89

Michael Finke from Illinois is set to transfer.

elephtheria47

To grad transfer you need to enroll in a graduate program at the New school that your original school didn't have....so not really a major holdup if you're wanting to transfer, but, a potential hold up if you're really wanting a certain grad program.

VU2014

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 26, 2018, 07:27:30 PM
To grad transfer you need to enroll in a graduate program at the New school that your original school didn't have....so not really a major holdup if you're wanting to transfer, but, a potential hold up if you're really wanting a certain grad program.

Yeah it sounded in one of the quotes that he's weighing academics into where he transfers to. Actually pretty refreshing to hear. I'd love to see Finke transfer here. He's not the best athlete, rebounder or passer but he's an experienced tough player with size who can stretch the floor. He should be able to do damage offensively at our level. He was hampered by injuries last season. I wonder if the Coaches would gauge his interest. It would be great to get more experience at the 4 and maybe he could be a mentor to Mileek at the position.

M

Mentor Mileek how? You said he isn't a good athlete, rebounder or passer...we are going to need Mileek to be at minimum those first two! Haha. Mentor him on setting screens!

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 26, 2018, 09:50:58 PM
Mentor Mileek how? You said he isn't a good athlete, rebounder or passer...we are going to need Mileek to be at minimum those first two! Haha. Mentor him on setting screens!

Many of the good coaches weren't the best players. Mileek has a higher ceiling but I think he could benefit from someone who played 3 seasons (another season RSing from the bench) in the B10 if Finke was a willing and eager mentor. Both guys have stretch 4 abilities. It also might be nice to have some veteran depth at the position.

We're going to have some great size next season between Fazekas, Mileek, Golder, Marty, Smits, Sorolla and probably another transfer all being above 6'6".

vu72

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 26, 2018, 05:07:57 PM

This kid could really put us over the top and we may be what he is looking for.  At 6'10" 230# with BIG experience and a pretty local guy who happened to play AAU ball for the same team as Alec, it could be a very good fit.  Let's hope so.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Quote from: Pgmado on March 23, 2018, 11:55:01 PM
Froling is turning pro back home for a year and then automatically entering the NBA Draft in 2019. He won't go to another college.

Froling, by all accounts, seems like a good person with no discipline, academic or other non-court issues. He was just the weakest interior defender and rebounder on a Marquette team with mediocre interior play.

vufan75

Quote from: vu72 on March 27, 2018, 11:07:04 AM
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 26, 2018, 05:07:57 PM

This kid could really put us over the top and we may be what he is looking for.  At 6'10" 230# with BIG experience and a pretty local guy who happened to play AAU ball for the same team as Alec, it could be a very good fit.  Let's hope so.
Finke and his experience and size would be a nice 1 year stopgap and give Mileek more time and a mentor of sorts. But his recent stats shooting 3's and FT are not great (30% from 3 and 61% FT last season. He avg 5 rebounds/game. We really need a premier rebounder IMO with some shooting skills. I don't see Smits or Sorolla getting a whole lot better in terms of rebounding, so I would prioritize that as a team need. Hope Smits and Sorolla prove me wrong!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

justducky

Quote from: vufan75 on March 27, 2018, 12:31:11 PMFinke and his experience and size would be a nice 1 year stopgap and give Mileek more time and a mentor of sorts. But his recent stats shooting 3's and FT are not great (30% from 3 and 61% FT last season. He avg 5 rebounds/game. We really need a premier rebounder IMO with some shooting skills. I don't see Smits or Sorolla getting a whole lot better in terms of rebounding, so I would prioritize that as a team need. Hope Smits and Sorolla prove me wrong!

There are never many immediate impact, immediate eligibility players available.

From what I believe we will have on hand and coming in we could already be considered as a top 100 and top of the Valley contender. If we could add to this an immediately eligible PF with Capo- Sr level skills or better and a guard with Bogan-Sr level stability then the team will be measurably more dangerous. I don't think we need a home run at either position but we do need good fits.