• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17- Youngstown state Thursday January 12 7:45pm (6:45pm CT) Beeghly Center

Started by talksalot, January 08, 2017, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

M

Hopefully Jubril is in valpo doing his homework!

I like the short leash Lottich seems to have tonight.

a3uge

Valpo is playing great defense in the second half. Also, I love how Slocum calls a timeout AFTER Valpo had already got the game to 23. Horrible coach.

VU2014

I'm perplexed with the shooting percentage our defense is giving up at the 3 point line this season. They are shooting around 35-40% currently from 3pt line. What I'm starting to realize is that we are pretty darn short at the guard position... Guys below or just above 6 foot which is short for D1 basketball: Micah, Lexus, Max, Tevonn.

I'm trying think the reasons for this. Last year we had much much more size: We had E., Shane, Alec, Skara, Jubril, and Vashil all playing huge minutes that gave us the height advantage and more match up problems for other teams defensively. We are sort of in a weird roster situation losing Jubril and David last season, that were suppose to be leaned on heavily this season, which would have changed the dynamic of the team defensively.

If we look at our recruits or signed freshman next season:
-6'2" PG Bakari Evelyn
-6'6" SF Joe Burton
-6'7" - 6'8" F Parker Hazen
-6'8" (still growing) F Mileek McMillan
-6'5" Kizer is going to get a bit more playing time next season. I know this is debatable but I think Lottich is going to give Kizer one of the open scholarships next season. You can tell they like him more then the average walk-on. We'll see what happens there.

Potentially:
- 6'4" - 6'5" SG Sasha Stefanovic (Fingers crossed)
- 6'8" F Taylor Bruninga (not offered yet, but lots of buzz and like to see him here but I trust coaches judgement more then mine)

I think the coaching staff recognizes the need to add height and length back on the roster.

FieldGoodie05

Alec is just too unselfish to average 25 ppg.  And I'm too selfish to let it go!!!

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 12, 2017, 08:28:13 PM
Alec is just too unselfish to average 25 ppg.  And I'm too selfish to let it go!!!
The refs are allowing too physical of play for him to keep up the 25 ppg average. He's no longer taking 15-20 shots a game from the block because he's getting grabbed down low in the post.

wh

valpotx

I liked seeing Davidson and Kiser playing many minutes tonight.  They bring some ball control presence, when Hammink does his best to just give the ball to other teams :).  Jay has vastly improved over the course of his first season.  He is going to be a phenomenal player for us over the next few years.  He seems to have learned how to stand straight up on defense in order to alter shots, and his hook shot has improved tremendously.  He used to leave it too low, but now it is right on.  He is going to be a beast down low for Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Coach Gore mentioned Jubril in his post game interview...Said don't give him (Gore) credit for the advancement of our freshmen centers....give credit to Jubril and Levingston-Simon in practice

FieldGoodie05

Not to mention that Jaume and Smits are getting high percentage shots and should continue to have the ball fed into them with the shot clock rolling below 10.  This is a big time positive drain on Alec's overall chucks.

PG play was still sloppy tonight.  Liked that we had a chance to give minutes to Bradford...he needs to get real game time minutes because Lexus looks fatigued to me.  Not the same bounce as the Ball State game and before.

VU2624

Quote from: sliman on January 12, 2017, 07:57:38 PMMost of us are dealing with spinning minds with this situation, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's not with the team in Youngstown.  I suspect he was allowed to sit on the bench at home, but not travel with the team.  This is the first distant road game since he went to the sidelines.  I was not at the UIC game, but it's possible Jubril attended it on his own but I don't recall if he was there and/or if he was on the bench.

He would also be attending classes at this time which hasn't been an issue for nearly a month

vusupporter

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2017, 08:18:45 PM
I'm perplexed with the shooting percentage our defense is giving up at the 3 point line this season. They are shooting around 35-40% currently from 3pt line. What I'm starting to realize is that we are pretty darn short at the guard position... Guys below or just above 6 foot which is short for D1 basketball: Micah, Lexus, Max, Tevonn.

I'm trying think the reasons for this. Last year we had much much more size: We had E., Shane, Alec, Skara, Jubril, and Vashil all playing huge minutes that gave us the height advantage and more match up problems for other teams defensively. We are sort of in a weird roster situation losing Jubril and David last season, that were suppose to be leaned on heavily this season, which would have changed the dynamic of the team defensively.

If we look at our recruits or signed freshman next season:
-6'2" PG Bakari Evelyn
-6'6" SF Joe Burton
-6'7" - 6'8" F Parker Hazen
-6'8" (still growing) F Mileek McMillan
-6'5" Kizer is going to get a bit more playing time next season. I know this is debatable but I think Lottich is going to give Kizer one of the open scholarships next season. You can tell they like him more then the average walk-on. We'll see what happens there.

Potentially:
- 6'4" - 6'5" SG Sasha Stefanovic (Fingers crossed)
- 6'8" F Taylor Bruninga (not offered yet, but lots of buzz and like to see him here but I trust coaches judgement more then mine)

I think the coaching staff recognizes the need to add height and length back on the roster.

Opponents are shooting 33.0% from 3-point range against us this year - our defensive 3-point percentage ranks 105th nationally.
Last year, opponents shot 33.9% from 3-point range against us - last year's defensive 3-point percentage ranked 131st nationally.
Two years ago, opponents shot 33.4% from 3-point range against us - we ranked 123rd nationally in defensive 3-point percentage.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2017, 08:18:45 PM-6'5" Kizer is going to get a bit more playing time next season. I know this is debatable but I think Lottich is going to give Kizer one of the open scholarships next season. You can tell they like him more then the average walk-on. We'll see what happens there.
He seems to be strong enough, athletic enough, and quick enough to be a future contributor. His rebounding instincts are good, his offensive potential seems solid, but so far any decently set screen leaves him 2 steps behind.

Most of his weaknesses should improve with experience, playing time and maturity, but I still have no clear vision of how good he can be.

vu72

Missed the gme but just finished the replay.  Love the major coaching change in playing so many people.  I think the Santa Clara game opened some eyes to a problem.  I thought Bradford played well but obviously playing not to screw up.  Smits struggled but J was great.  Both are continuing to improve.  I thought it was a very solid performance all around.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

Observations from the igloo.

1.  Micah started.  This hasn't been discussed much, but a clear "change" after the rough past 5 games.  Point of emphasis is turnovers.  An example, after Max was stripped from behind, he was pulled.  Turnovers were down.
2. Better and harder cuts.  Early in the game, cuts led to easy layups and attacks to the basket. 
3. AP garners attention.  Besides the press coverage all week.  Every team is scheming for AP and to not allow him space to cut or move or post.  Blatant example, at the end of half, he was held on a baseline cut.  The bounce pass to the spot he would have been for the layup/dunk went out of bounds.  Foul disparity at half 9-4.  We went into the bonus for the first time with 4 mins left on the clock...in the second half. 
4. 3 D.  We are slow rotating to the wing 3 when teams rotate the ball against us.  Without Vashi to patrol the middle, we are focused on preventing the strong side/middle drive.  As they swing back to the 3, the wing defenders are late getting to the shooter or if the guard has the responsibility they are behind the shooter.
5. Centers of attraction.  Jay and Derrick are playing with lots more confidence.  We discussed at the game that Jay can be unstoppable if he perfects that lefty hook to go with the righty hook and soft touch from 5-10.  If he adds the drop step, he could be a dominating post in the mid-majors.  Needs to be more aware on cleaning up when drivers get by but progress is happening.  Derrick needs confidence in his shot.  He's playing with more intensity down low and had some looks.

Who will we see from the Board Saturday.  Sounds like there will be a good contingent of Valpo friends, family and fans. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

Quote from: sliman on January 12, 2017, 07:57:38 PMMost of us are dealing with spinning minds with this situation, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's not with the team in Youngstown.  I suspect he was allowed to sit on the bench at home, but not travel with the team.  This is the first distant road game since he went to the sidelines.  I was not at the UIC game, but it's possible Jubril attended it on his own but I don't recall if he was there and/or if he was on the bench.

I don't definitively remember seeing him at the UIC game, but I think the crew I was watching with, or surely someone on the board here, would have been watching for him. I definitely did not note his absence at the UIC game (how's that forms double negative?).

I've missed his dad in the student section at the ARC. Admittedly, it's been a while since we've had something deserving the name.

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on January 13, 2017, 08:34:50 AM3. AP garners attention.  Besides the press coverage all week.  Every team is scheming for AP and to not allow him space to cut or move or post.  Blatant example, at the end of half, he was held on a baseline cut.  The bounce pass to the spot he would have been for the layup/dunk went out of bounds.
Great anticipation by the defender. My eyes were on the passer (Derrik) so I saw no foul against Alec only his futile struggle to get around and open. If a hold is not spotted it did not happen so I will call this play terrific defense!  :)

vu72

Quote from: agibson on January 13, 2017, 09:05:09 AM
[/b]
I don't definitively remember seeing him at the UIC game, but I think the crew I was watching with, or surely someone on the board here, would have been watching for him. I definitely did not note his absence at the UIC game (how's that forms double negative?).

I've missed his dad in the student section at the ARC. Admittedly, it's been a while since we've had something deserving the name.

He was there as was his mom and a group of friends.  I saw them at a restaurant across the street after the game.  I also saw his on the bench during the game as I pointed him out to a couple of friends.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2017, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 13, 2017, 08:34:50 AM3. AP garners attention.  Besides the press coverage all week.  Every team is scheming for AP and to not allow him space to cut or move or post.  Blatant example, at the end of half, he was held on a baseline cut.  The bounce pass to the spot he would have been for the layup/dunk went out of bounds.
Great anticipation by the defender. My eyes were on the passer (Derrik) so I saw no foul against Alec only his futile struggle to get around and open. If a hold is not spotted it did not happen so I will call this play terrific defense!  :)

I think they showed a replay on the web stream, and I happened to watch the end of the first half twice besides. There was a lot of contact between Alec and the defender as Alec tried to cut to the baseline. Alec didn't seem too upset about the no-call.

I thought it was a good idea, a pretty good pass from Derrik, and it just didn't quite work out. I don't know if it was a "correct" play, but hardly a fiasco.

VU2014

QuoteOpponents are shooting 33.0% from 3-point range against us this year - our defensive 3-point percentage ranks 105th nationally.
Last year, opponents shot 33.9% from 3-point range against us - last year's defensive 3-point percentage ranked 131st nationally.
Two years ago, opponents shot 33.4% from 3-point range against us - we ranked 123rd nationally in defensive 3-point percentage.

I stand corrected. I less mean the defense hasn't been the same this year.

Opponent FG%: 2016: 42.5% 2015: 39.0%
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-shooting-pct

I'm sure your could find more stats to support it but this team is not at the same level defensively that we were last year. Which is understandable given the roster construction and losing key players unexpectedly like Jubril for the last 10 games and losing David Skara to the Don Bosco drama. Also most importantly we lost one the best defensive players in college basketball in Vashil, who was great at protecting the paint, and replacing them with two freshman centers (that have a bright future).

If you just do the eye test we aren't the same team defensively this season. Maybe it has to do with defensive philosophy/scheming between Lottich and Bryce, but I don't think so considering the guys we lost.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on January 13, 2017, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2017, 09:41:54 AM

I think they showed a replay on the web stream, and I happened to watch the end of the first half twice besides. There was a lot of contact between Alec and the defender as Alec tried to cut to the baseline. Alec didn't seem too upset about the no-call.

I thought it was a good idea, a pretty good pass from Derrik, and it just didn't quite work out. I don't know if it was a "correct" play, but hardly a fiasco.

I also recall an AP shot attempt from ~12' on the right side of the key.  AP faked, got his defender airborne  and went up for the jumper.  The guy was draped all over Alec as he went up - heavy contact.  No call.  But, luckily, Alec followed the altered shot underneath the rim and came up with a 2 point play despite being clobbered on the initial attempt.

Which brings me to a pet point I have regarding today's players:  They launch their jumpers but hardly ever follow the shot toward the rim.  MY DATED PERSPECTIVE:  Evansville and Jerry Sloan in the 60's.  Sloan was an All-American. He had a  great 15' jumper and could leap.  But most impressive about his performance was that as soon as he released his jumper his next steps were always toward the basket in the direction of his shot regardless whether the shot was sure to go in or not.  I watched him clean up on a couple of misses by doing that in one game and it registered (obviously). I later heard a coach at a clinic say that the shooter has the best view on the floor of the shot and the best perspective on how the ball will bounce based on the angles and depth of the shot.  I'll bet our players would get more second chance attempts if they applied a follow-their-shot mindset -- Alec's intensity on that one play above supports that, IMO.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 13, 2017, 11:13:36 AMI also recall an AP shot attempt from ~12' on the right side of the key.  AP faked, got his defender airborne  and went up for the jumper.  The guy was draped all over Alec as he went up - heavy contact.  No call.  But, luckily, Alec followed the altered shot underneath the rim and came up with a 2 point play despite being clobbered on the initial attempt.

Yep - that was a good one. It did seem like very heavy contact. I'm no basketball ref, but it sure felt like a foul.

Alec did a great job of continuing with the play despite the contact.

There was a similar sequence, in terms of physicality and endurance, with J later on. It seemed that he got poked in the eye, or similar, but he fought through it and made key contributions to the next two or three plays in succession. He and Alec both did a great job of fighting on, and not hanging their heads, or complaining about the no calls (something I could learn from, myself, on the soccer field!).

It seemed for a couple of games that Alec was getting some of the star treatment and getting a lot of whistles, maybe sometimes even getting favors from refs. I've not seen much of that in the last few games.

But most impressive about his performance was that as soon as he released his jumper his next steps were always toward the basket in the direction of his shot regardless whether the shot was sure to go in or not.  I watched him clean up on a couple of misses by doing that in one game and it registered (obviously). I later heard a coach at a clinic say that the shooter has the best view on the floor of the shot and the best perspective on how the ball will bounce based on the angles and depth of the shot.  I'll bet our players would get more second chance attempts if they applied a follow-their-shot mindset -- Alec's intensity on that one play above supports that, IMO.

I love to watch these kind of plays, for sure.

My basketball IQ often seems to run out (it's pretty low in the first place!) when it comes to rebounding. My first instinct is to want to see players fighting for every rebound, chasing down missed threes with their long bounces, etc. But, I do wonder when defensive responsibilities force them to get down the court instead.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on January 13, 2017, 09:57:31 AMHe was there [at UIC] as was his mom and a group of friends.  I saw them at a restaurant across the street after the game.  I also saw his on the bench during the game as I pointed him out to a couple of friends.

Paul Oren states on twitter that Jubril go to the UIC game on his own, not on the team bus.

And that it's standard procedure for non-players to _not_ travel to road games. That Burton and Evelyn also aren't traveling.

So, maybe nothing to read into Jubril's absence from the bench. (Admittedly, during the game, I was all "Is he on campus? Attending classes?"). But, from Luke's post-game comments, we could assume that he's still at practice. And practicing?

VU2014

If we don't see Jubril back on the court by the Green Bay Game next monday then I think we should expect Jubril is out for the season. It would be  a full week since classes start and a time for the honor council to meet and decide (if its even up to the honor council).

It's a big week.

a3uge