• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19- Green Bay Monday January 16 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, January 14, 2017, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Quick Turn around... and big minutes for most of the starters at Cleveland State.   Students are back, playing for first place in the Conference.  The ARC should be ROCKIN' on Monday night.

Phoenix Roster:
http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=13663&SPSID=110000

Stats:  six players averaging 9+ points
https://admin.xosn.com/pdf9/5079420.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=22500&

They are 6-1 at home and 5-0 in conference.

vusupporter

Quote from: talksalot on January 14, 2017, 04:52:00 PM
and big minutes for most of the starters at Cleveland State.

2 players played more than 25 minutes.

M

Who cares what their home record is?! (I think you need some sleep talksalot 🙂)

Valpo breaks the GB press with ease (thanks Detroit and CSU for the practice) and wins this one 74-66. AP drops 24 and guarantees a big crowd for the next home game.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 14, 2017, 04:52:00 PMThey are 6-1 at home and 5-0 in conference.

Looks like 4-4 in true road games, including a 58-76 loss at Pacific, RPI 200 with a losing record.

They did edge what looks like a decent Toledo team 78-77 on the road, and swept the same road trip we just swept.

JPEven

Quote from: agibson on January 14, 2017, 07:29:07 PMLooks like 4-4 in true road games, including a 58-76 loss at Pacific, RPI 200 with a losing record. They did edge what looks like a decent Toledo team 78-77 on the road, and swept the same road trip we just swept.

I was telling a friend this earlier, too.  While we shouldn't sleep on them, GB has played poor on the road and lost to some garbage teams when traveling.  They've played a who's who of HL basement dwellers mostly at home so far.... while GB is probably a top 3-4 team in HL, I think the 5-0 start is inflated.

But watch us lose by 15.... 

talksalot

Quote from: JPEven on January 14, 2017, 07:37:12 PMBut watch us lose by 15.... 

Nope, we've already lost our 2nd home game.

ARC Record:

2016-17   8   2
2015-16    17     1
2014-15    15     1

HailVU2014

While I (and many others) agree that our post-season aspirations rest on our team's performance over a couple days in Detroit in March, we still have a regular season championship for which to fight! I believe this game will determine the course for the remainder of the season.

This is a home game against the lone undefeated team in conference. This is a revenge game from the semi-final loss in Detroit last March. This is a game to begin to rebuild confidence at home, since we struggled over the long Christmas Break. We have a lot to fight for in this game and I hope we show up to play it so that we can go back to controlling our own destiny in the Horizon League. Otherwise, losing to #1 and #2 in conference at home with only the return road games at #1 and 2 does not bode well for a team with such high aspirations and talent, after a good non-conference.

With all that we have to play for, we have to put up or shut up. No excuses about rest or missing Jubril or lack of students/atmosphere. We need to start this home stand with a positive note! Thanks for listening!

M

Game thread is awfully quiet leading up to this one. 🤐

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 09:10:05 AM
Game thread is awfully quiet leading up to this one. 🤐

Think it's because we aren't so confident.  But then again I imagine that's your point!

M

8.5 point favorites, GB has played the easiest schedule so far, and we've had practice against they press defense the last few games. Valpo had this one!

I'm interested to see how they guard Cooper. Personally, I think I'd put Shane on him and have him play off with his hands down and dare Coop to shoot from outside.

oklahomamick

Walker should match up with cooper.  Have you seen Shane's perimeter defense and lack of rotating?  Walker usually guards their best attacker
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 09:30:52 AM
8.5 point favorites, GB has played the easiest schedule so far, and we've had practice against they press defense the last few games. Valpo had this one!

I'm interested to see how they guard Cooper. Personally, I think I'd put Shane on him and have him play off with his hands down and dare Coop to shoot from outside.

Now I see your play...bait then evisorate!  A good defense against us is a poison pill.  That's my biggest concern.  BYU ALABAMA & URI didn't play much defense + we hit some outside jumpers imo.

I'm hoping for the best because right now, we are making all of our HL opponents look much much better than they are.

M

I also recognize that Tevonn is much smaller then Cooper and has a tendency of getting to foul trouble.  Cooper makes his living attacking the hoop and getting to the line. That's why I'd sag off, go under screens where he has the ball, and make him beat us from deep. The rest of them you best get a hand up, they hit 14 3s last time out.

oklahomamick

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 10:08:30 AMI also recognize that Tevonn is much smaller then Cooper and has a tendency of getting to foul trouble.  Cooper makes his living attacking the hoop and getting to the line. That's why I'd sag off, go under screens where he has the ball, and make him beat us from deep. The rest of them you best get a hand up, they hit 14 3s last time out.

Good point.  Cooper shot 27 free throws last time against us. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Talk about being quite on the boards.....UW Green Bay forum only has two posts regarding this game. 

Valpo has been noticeably down this year. Yes, they have good wins against Rhode Island and BYU, but they've also lost to Santa Clara and have been on the ropes in many games that they expected to have big wins in. Their second best player Jubril Adekoya is out for the season, apparently due to academic dishonesty issues. Their other remaining go-to guy, Shane Hammink is apparently a head case who their fans are complaining about for having a terrible attitude and not hustling at all. Outside of Alec Peters, Valpo hasn't really been able to get anything going offensively. They are 311th in the nation in 3 point shooting at 30% and have shot 19% from 3 over their last four. The key deficiency for Valpo is their bench, which does not bode well for them against us, who have no fewer than 9 guys that can reliably contribute on both sides of the ball. Another key for us will be free throw shooting. We are nearly at 70% which is a huge improvement over the last few years. Last time against Valpo, Cooper had 27 free throw attempts. If we are drawing that many fouls and can force Valpo to shoot the long ball, I see absolutely no reason as to why we can't win this one on the road. The Crusaders are no longer the top dog, they are vulnerable and they are certainly beatable.

Prediction:

GB 82 - Valpo 80, Peters misses a three at the buzzer

Read more: http://phearthephoenix.proboards.com/thread/782/game-19-valparaiso#ixzz4VwUaqOJw
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 16, 2017, 10:25:15 AM
Talk about being quite on the boards.....UW Green Bay forum only has two posts regarding this game. 

Valpo has been noticeably down this year. Yes, they have good wins against Rhode Island and BYU, but they've also lost to Santa Clara and have been on the ropes in many games that they expected to have big wins in. Their second best player Jubril Adekoya is out for the season, apparently due to academic dishonesty issues. Their other remaining go-to guy, Shane Hammink is apparently a head case who their fans are complaining about for having a terrible attitude and not hustling at all. Outside of Alec Peters, Valpo hasn't really been able to get anything going offensively. They are 311th in the nation in 3 point shooting at 30% and have shot 19% from 3 over their last four. The key deficiency for Valpo is their bench, which does not bode well for them against us, who have no fewer than 9 guys that can reliably contribute on both sides of the ball. Another key for us will be free throw shooting. We are nearly at 70% which is a huge improvement over the last few years. Last time against Valpo, Cooper had 27 free throw attempts. If we are drawing that many fouls and can force Valpo to shoot the long ball, I see absolutely no reason as to why we can't win this one on the road. The Crusaders are no longer the top dog, they are vulnerable and they are certainly beatable.

Prediction:

GB 82 - Valpo 80, Peters misses a three at the buzzer

Read more: http://phearthephoenix.proboards.com/thread/782/game-19-valparaiso#ixzz4VwUaqOJw

1.  Jubril is likely our 4th best player (Peters/Tevonn/Hammink)
2.  Our losses are to Oregon/Kentucky/Oakland/Santa Clara.  Only 1 bad loss in there and it is not as bad as last years bad loss to Ball State.   
3. In a draft, I would take Peters and Tevonn over their best player. (argument could be made for Hammink, but he keeps dribbling the ball of his friggin leg!) 
4.  I agree that they are the deeper team and we do suck at 3 point shooting and that we are very beatable this year. 
5. That said, we still have a better team then they do.  They would have had a losing non-con record playing our schedule.  Doesn't mean they can't beat us, but we are still the better team.   

valpotx

Valpo is still 'top dog,' which will be proven tonight ;):

Valpo 71
GB 57
"Don't mess with Texas"

JPEven

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 16, 2017, 12:12:52 PM1.  Jubril is likely our 4th best player (Peters/Tevonn/Hammink)

I'd agree that Jubril isn't our second best player (by far).  Every time Hammink misses a 3 or turns the ball over or commits another stupid foul, I start to think he belongs after Jubril on that list....  hard to say. 

I'd agree that, without a doubt, Tevon is our second best player.  He is the best defender on the team, shoots free throws well, and is the only other person on the team propping our three point percentage up (Peters).  He rebounds really well for a 2 and seems to be fairly in control of his emotions.

vu72

I guess according to Green Bay fans the Alabama win wasn't a "good win"  ;D  right...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

VU 78-UW-GB 69 The Growth of the Bench Continues (going Pretty well but they Act like Freshman  ???)

oklahomamick

BYU and Alabama are top 100 wins. 
Rhode Island is a top 50 win. 

Best Green Bay win is Toledo at 141. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

You should go tell both their fans that on their board😂

elephtheria47

Best player does not necessarily correlate to most important player.  Without tevvon or SH, we would struggle a little more than normal but would likely be okay. Without JA, we are struggling and are not okay.

Itd be nice to find out what is actually going on. If we get JA back a few weeks before the tourney, then the team will be extremely dangerous with JS and DS as the backups. If he doesn't return, then IMO, how far we go depends on how much JS and DS develops.

oklahomamick

I saw the UW Green Bay message board poking fun of us and suggesting we aren't realistic in being the HL team to beat.  Even went as far as saying we weren't the better team last year because we couldn't beat them on a neutral floor.  I guess they forgot we did sweep them prior to the game in Detroit.  I will give them credit, the new coach has done a good job in recruiting.  They are a decent team now and going to be a really good team in the future.
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 16, 2017, 10:25:15 AMTalk about being quite on the boards.....UW Green Bay forum only has two posts regarding this game. Valpo has been noticeably down this year. Yes, they have good wins against Rhode Island and BYU, but they've also lost to Santa Clara and have been on the ropes in many games that they expected to have big wins in. Their second best player Jubril Adekoya is out for the season, apparently due to academic dishonesty issues. Their other remaining go-to guy, Shane Hammink is apparently a head case who their fans are complaining about for having a terrible attitude and not hustling at all. Outside of Alec Peters, Valpo hasn't really been able to get anything going offensively. They are 311th in the nation in 3 point shooting at 30% and have shot 19% from 3 over their last four. The key deficiency for Valpo is their bench, which does not bode well for them against us, who have no fewer than 9 guys that can reliably contribute on both sides of the ball. Another key for us will be free throw shooting. We are nearly at 70% which is a huge improvement over the last few years. Last time against Valpo, Cooper had 27 free throw attempts. If we are drawing that many fouls and can force Valpo to shoot the long ball, I see absolutely no reason as to why we can't win this one on the road. The Crusaders are no longer the top dog, they are vulnerable and they are certainly beatable. Prediction: GB 82 - Valpo 80, Peters misses a three at the buzzer Read more: http://phearthephoenix.proboards.com/thread/782/game-19-valparaiso#ixzz4VwUaqOJw

Reading through that game thread renewed my dislike for their fanbase. All that is an awful lot of talk from a team with the fifth most wins in the conference and a mediocre OOC SOS. Probably all Packers fans too. I don't like UWM or Oakland very much, but all three of us seem to have respect for each other's programs.
#CrusadersForever