• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19- Green Bay Monday January 16 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, January 14, 2017, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

GB won last season because Charles Cooper was given 24 FT attempts.  GB's two fans can try and say that they were the better team, but that is just wishful thinking.

I believe that Ryan Miller was the guy always sitting on the end of the court by the concession stand?  I seem to remember that he was always close to the court, when I was in school. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2017, 11:48:12 PMJohn Kiser at 6-5/205 reminds me a lot of Matt Kinney 6-4/205. John averaged 21ppg as a senior at Noblesville. Matt averaged 19ppg at Mooresville. Both have big verticals and similar ball handling skills. Not only has John earned a scholarship, but in time he could Become a major contributor, just as Matt was.

Forgive my ignorance here, but Kiser does have a scholarship, doesn't he? I've been surprised at the amount of playing time he's been getting, although that's not to say he hasn't earned it.
#CrusadersForever

JPEven

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 17, 2017, 01:47:58 PMForgive my ignorance here, but Kiser does have a scholarship, doesn't he? I've been surprised at the amount of playing time he's been getting, although that's not to say he hasn't earned it.

no he is a walk on

Valpo89

No offense to Kiser, but there's no way he's near as athletic as Matt Kenney.

agibson

Re Kiser. Did Valpo refer to him as a "preferred" walk on? First I remember hearing the phrase at VU.

chef

Matt had a great handle, and that's where John needs to improve. I love how hard he plays and defends. He gets the most out of his ability. Matt was far more gifted athletically and could play multiple positions, while John is strictly a 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Very few did the jump pass turnover like Matt Kenney.

a3uge

Quote from: M on January 19, 2017, 09:23:17 AM
Not sure which was cringe-ier during that era - Kenny deciding to jump before knowing what to do with the ball, Cory Johnson's weird traveling mental block, or Bugg's free throw situation.

agibson

Wasn't a young Buggs fairly good at this, as well?

ValpoHoops

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: ValpoHoops on January 19, 2017, 05:02:24 PM

Ali Berdiel

I'd add that he was talented in all facets of the TO.  And if there ever was a player that relied upon his "classmates"......HE DID.  Was in too many classes with the guy.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 17, 2017, 12:20:42 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 16, 2017, 08:59:29 PM
Maybe this is a poor question.  But on the radio broadcast when they sign off, who is the guy with the speech issue?  Is that a real sign off?  I am trying to be polite, but the voice sounds audibly handicap.

Any insight is appreciated.
That's Ryan Miller.  I see him at the ARC whenever I take my Dad, because we also sit in the handicapped section (my Dad will be 88 in a couple of months and needs a walker to get around).  Through his helper (because I can't possibly figure out what he's saying - and he does the best he can), every time he asks me what our RPI is, and through her I have a wonderful conversation with him.  His ears work perfectly, so he understands exactly what I'm saying.

I would tell you what his condition is, but I'm deathly afraid of getting it wrong.

Some of you may remember his father, Rick Miller, who posted a bunch of political "stuff" on previous versions of this message board about 8 or so years ago. Rick did mention his son, Ryan regularly on the board.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 19, 2017, 06:00:14 PM
I'd add that he was talented in all facets of the TO.  And if there ever was a player that relied upon his "classmates"......HE DID.  Was in too many classes with the guy.

So, you admittingly and repeatedly violated the university code...

"I have neither given or received, nor have I tolerated others' use of unauthorized aid."

...and, accordingly, were as guilty as he was.

Of course, none of us believes that, which means most of us would observe only part of the rule, if at all.  That makes the rule fundamentally flawed and designed-to-fail.

We all understand what cheating is - and what it isn't. It IS a violation of an organization rule. It IS NOT a crime. People attach a different sense of obligation to reporting ethical indiscretions than they do reporting violations of the law.

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 19, 2017, 10:21:10 PMOf course, no one believes that, which means most of us would observe only part of the rule, if at all.  That makes this rule fundamentally flawed and designed-to-fail.

We all understand what cheating is - and what it isn't. It IS a violation of an organization rule. It IS NOT a crime. People attach a different sense of obligation to reporting ethical indiscretions than they do reporting violations of the law.

And not all laws are perceived the same, of course. And which are "serious enough to turn someone in" vary from community to community.

Formalizing codes of conduct is a tough business...

bbtds

Quote from: VU2624 on January 16, 2017, 11:29:14 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on January 16, 2017, 10:32:35 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 16, 2017, 09:31:22 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on January 16, 2017, 08:48:04 PMOnly 24 combined fouls in the game. Had more than that in the first half against Oakland.
This was refreshing.  I felt like I was watching a game circa 2011 (before they made defense illegal). There was a lot of contact, but most of it was in the flow of the game.  Bodies are going to bounce off each other on drives to the basket, as long as arms are straight up, let it go.  The game is a lot more tolerable when the whistle isn't going off every time down the floor.
Per Paul Oren one of the refs is an NFL ref. So I guess if a player wasn't tackled and taken to the ground it was no foul. lol

Gene Steratore has been an NFL Referee for a long time. I thought he was a Big Ten BB official. Does the HL use Big Ten officials normally?

Veteran official Gene Steratore is wed to his whistle

http://www.startribune.com/veteran-official-gene-steratore-is-wed-to-his-whistle/389681521/

Steratore, 53, also works as a primary Big Ten basketball official, though he officiates games in other conferences as well.

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on January 19, 2017, 09:56:52 PM
Some of you may remember his father, Rick Miller, who posted a bunch of political "stuff" on previous versions of this message board about 8 or so years ago. Rick did mention his son, Ryan regularly on the board.
Of course, I did.  He liked to Ruffle my feathers when I was the Voy board admin.  I introduced myself to him and Ryan once at halftime thinking that putting a face to my board persona would make me seem more human.  Ryan was very nice, but in the end I think Rick didn't care much for my face, either.

agibson

Steratore, the ref, was a lot of fun on the sidelines: very good attitude, interacting with the fans, etc. Sometimes joking, always light hearted, sometimes some commentary on the game and calls.

Reminded me of some of the very positive interactions (not universally) I've had with refs and especially linesmen in adult amateur soccer games. Professional, care a lot about the sport, respect others' knowledge and passion (even if wouldn't always countenance or appreciate some behavior or language), comes with a certain humility, etc.