• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A little help, please

Started by StlVUFan, January 16, 2017, 04:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

https://twitter.com/jorcubsdan/status/821112619708940289

Apparently I'm not hip to the CBB definition of "true".  Can anyone help me out?  This tweet really hacked me off, but I'm sensing that somehow the one that's off.

M

Our true PGs are Lexus and Max (I'm not sure about Micah). They've atruggled of late so I guess this fella doesn't think much of them.

My issue with this is you don't need a true point to break a press. A few passes and you're there. I'd bet Valpo just throws it in to a big then hits a guy in the middle and goes to work (just like they did the other day).

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 05:12:04 PM
Our true PGs are Lexus and Max (I'm not sure about Micah). They've atruggled of late so I guess this fella doesn't think much of them.

My issue with this is you don't need a true point to break a press. A few passes and you're there. I'd bet Valpo just throws it in to a big then hits a guy in the middle and goes to work (just like they did the other day).

Agreed, a ball handler like Jubril is a quick way of beating the press.  Our bigs aren't there yet, so we start to see 5-4 with the 5th defender shading toward the passing lanes.

Though I'm sure Smits can't handle the ball on the bounce...I'm not positive that we should continue avoiding the pass to Jaume.  Anyone else notice we avoid hitting Jaume at mid court?  I presume it's because they can trap him and he is stuck only being able to dribble or pass forward (avoid over and back).  Either way I'd like to hear some opinions on why we leave Jaume out of the weave.

StlVUFan

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 05:12:04 PM
Enough that they don't fit his definition of "true".  Is this standard usage in CBB parlance?

I also failed to impress upon the guy that that word doesn't mean what he thinks it means.  I hate the way we butcher language these days ;)

I'll admit that my initial response was an emotional one.  I was not under the impression that Lexus was *that* bad.  I also tried to make the point that a year or two ago when Keith Carter was injured you might more reasonably say we didn't have a true PG because those who played the position were playing out of position.

Obviously, I'm with you.  Since Micah replace Lexus in the lineup and the other 2 guards are Tevonn and Shane, I'm thinking he's slotted into the PG position.  Of course, as a starter, he's been gone by the first media TO, so I guess you could see his starting career is off to a rocky start.