• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #20- UIC Sunday January 22 2pm ARC

Started by talksalot, January 17, 2017, 05:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

ATLANTA 44 GREEN BAY 21....

Finally, I can say the score in THAT game.

wh

This may sound a little crazy given the lopsided nature of the game, but IMO UIC's program has finally turned the corner. They have some skilled young players that run a disciplined offense with a lot of sets and play hard from beginning to end. Definitely a positive sign for the HL.

M

What a complete dismantling of a top half of the league team.  Wow!  In front of several recruits.  This team has really turned it around since those few games over break.  This is a special coaching staff too.  Really like Lottich, Manual and of course Gore. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 22, 2017, 06:45:11 PM
What a complete dismantling of a top half of the league team.  Wow!  In front of several recruits.  This team has really turned it around since those few games over break.  This is a special coaching staff too.  Really like Lottich, Manual and of course Gore.

Saw TAYLOR Bruninga there, who else was a recruit at the game?

VU2014

I heard there was only Taylor Bruninga there. Were there more?

5 NBA scouts were in attendance.
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/823246954805293057

wh

Didn't someone say that Sasha Stefanovic was going to be there?

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2017, 01:41:55 PM
20 min till game time. Sparse crowd. Maybe 40 students.
Considering the weather was unseasonably warm, the game was on a Sunday afternoon and did not conflict with classes or any other competing events on campus, it is early in the semester when there aren't major papers or midterm and final exams, the team is in first place, the opponent was from Chicago (a home to many students), there was television coverage on the Comcast Sports Network, free shirts were given out, and Alec (a future NBA player in his senior year) was definitely going to break Valpo's greatest personal record held by Bryce Drew, the lack of student turnout was embarrassing.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on January 22, 2017, 07:22:13 PM
Considering the weather was unseasonably warm, the game was on a Sunday afternoon and did not conflict with classes or any other competing events on campus, it is early in the semester when there aren't major papers or midterm and final exams, the team is in first place, the opponent was from Chicago (a home to many students), there was television coverage on the Comcast Sports Network, free shirts were given out, and Alec (a future NBA player in his senior year) was definitely going to break Valpo's greatest personal record held by Bryce Drew, the lack of student turnout was embarrassing.

Was standing behind the student section with 3-minutes to tip and there was less than 6 full rows of students in total.  It's sad, I bet good money that a good number of them are watching the game from their dorms.  We didn't have that option 15 years ago, so the student section was pretty robust in the Phil Willie days!!!

valpospartan

Well said Pal.  As a guy who went to every basketball & football game, when I was in school (not VU), I am appalled and perplexed at the lack of students today.

M

Shane has been real good lately. Biggest difference is attacking the lane to score and not looking to pass on those drives. Keep it up!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: valpospartan on January 22, 2017, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: wh on January 22, 2017, 01:41:55 PM20 min till game time. Sparse crowd. Maybe 40 students.
Well said Pal.  As a guy who went to every basketball & football game, when I was in school (not VU), I am appalled and perplexed at the lack of students today.

Student section looked decent to me in the first half, although maybe the kids that painted their chests made it look bigger than it was. I noticed that it really thinned out after halftime though. I bet a lot of students were there just to see AP break the record.

Reported attendance was 3881, which was more than I thought it'd be.
#CrusadersForever

JPEven

Quote from: M on January 22, 2017, 10:49:57 PMShane has been real good lately. Biggest difference is attacking the lane to score and not looking to pass on those drives. Keep it up!

He's managed to not give the ball to his defender 6 times a game these days, too...

JPEven

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2017, 04:16:11 PMAnother dominating performance.  Funny to see Sorolla playing in the clean up role versus Derrik.  I think J is better at this time. Also, unfortunately, Micah still looks like a deer in the headlights.  Concerning...

Valpo is clearly not starting it's best 5 players, and it's working.  We need some support in the second rotation, and balancing the bench while letting smits/micah play with AP and Shane has been what has spurred this team.  Plus, Sorolla is often getting more minutes than Derek anyway.   I've also come to wonder to what extent Lexus' role change has been due to his knee starting to break down... saw him riding the bike towards the end of yesterdays game

valpopal

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 23, 2017, 02:21:03 AM
Quote from: wh on January 22, 2017, 01:41:55 PM20 min till game time. Sparse crowd. Maybe 40 students.

Student section looked decent to me in the first half, although maybe the kids that painted their chests made it look bigger than it was. I noticed that it really thinned out after halftime though. I bet a lot of students were there just to see AP break the record.

Reported attendance was 3881, which was more than I thought it'd be.

Osipoff posted a video on Twitter of Alec's record-breaking shot that shows the whole student section, which was only about half full at that time.

VU2624

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 23, 2017, 02:21:03 AM
Student section looked decent to me in the first half, although maybe the kids that painted their chests made it look bigger than it was. I noticed that it really thinned out after halftime though. I bet a lot of students were there just to see AP break the record. Reported attendance was 3881, which was more than I thought it'd be.

Blowout and a NFL Conference Championship game to watch.

agibson

The student section was thin, maybe half full, but noisy and appreciated. Still, disappointing for a Sunday afternoon game, with even some TV coverage.

The chair backs seemed a little thin to me too. Football fans?

The mezzanine was impressive!