• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Season and Career Numbers Basketball

Started by FWalum, January 18, 2017, 02:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

I know that we have been focused on Alec and all of his accomplishment, but watching the post game interviews with Matt, Alec and Tevonn I thought it would be interesting to project out and see where Tevonn would rank at the end of his career.  I admit that I love watching guards with the type of toughness and athletic ability that Walker shows every game, but I was surprised to calculate that he would end up (barring any unforeseen problem) in the top 20 all time players in both scoring and rebound, something only accomplished by 10 other players.  What really would make this an amazing feat is that I think Tevonn would probably be the shortest player on that very tall but short list.  This really puts Tevonn IMO in rare company and I hope that the fans appreciate his talent and abilities despite being in Alec's long shadow.

Dan Oppland 2002-06
Alec Peters 2013-pres.
Lubos Barton 1998-02
Raitis Grafs 1999-03
Ryan Broekhoff 2009-13
Harry Bell 1984-88
Jim Ford 1985-89
John Wolfenberg 1970-73
Jeff Simmons 1978-82
Darryl Ashby 1974-78

I realize that this is all speculation and that other player that maybe didn't play all four years would have made that list.  What other players do you guys think belong?  Are there other categories that produce a similar double accomplishment?

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo89

Great list. I've really liked Tevonn's athleticism since I first saw him play as a freshman. He really has freakish athletic ability, and he has the ability to just come out of no where and make a huge play after you sometimes forget he's on the floor.

I can't think of too many other guards who had his combination of size, strength and leaping ability.

oklahomamick

And to put in prospective Tevon has missed a lot of games due to injury. 
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 18, 2017, 03:31:37 PM
Great list. I've really liked Tevonn's athleticism since I first saw him play as a freshman. He really has freakish athletic ability, and he has the ability to just come out of no where and make a huge play after you sometimes forget he's on the floor.

I can't think of too many other guards who had his combination of size, strength and leaping ability.
At the Detroit game at one point in the second half amidst the Titan onslaught, Lexus' dad was near me and I turned to him and whispered, "Thank god for Tevonn".

Kyle321n

I would say scoring and assists are also an area where it's impressive if you're in the top. That would include the following:

Scott Anselm   1985-89
Tracy Gipson   1989-93
Bryce Drew   1994-98
Milo Stovall   1998-02

One of the crazy things is Rowdy is on all three of these lists.

Here's the other crazy one, Tevonn is going to be in the top 10 for steals at the end of his career.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo84

Although not top 20 for both, Howard Little (886 pts/495 rebs) and Milo Stovall (#16 scoring 1345 pts/506 Rebs) come to mind first as that combination of scoring/rebounds from a 2-3 guard.  Stalin Ortiz in 2 years was 791/309.  Jarryd Loyd was surprisingly higher on rebs than I thought 930/309.  Tevonn thru 2 years and 17 games this year is at 836/312.  He could approach Milo's combined ##s.  He should also pass Shawn Huff 1032/388.   The other one I had forgotten about but was similar to Little, Stovall and Tevonn is Michael Rogers 749/438.  What is amazing about Tevonn is that he has done it from day 1.  A few of the others on this list had huge JR/SR seasons but were brought along more slowly FR/SO.  Agree that Milo may be the best comparison considering all aspects of the game.  If only he didn't get mono before the champ game that one year. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FWalum

Quote from: valpo84 on January 18, 2017, 05:25:08 PMAlthough not top 20 for both, Howard Little (886 pts/495 rebs) and Milo Stovall (#16 scoring 1345 pts/506 Rebs) come to mind first as that combination of scoring/rebounds from a 2-3 guard.

Good catch with those two especially Milo.  Without the Mono bout he would have been even closer to making it into that group.  Loved watching Milo play, what tenacity!! I'm thinking that both Howard and Stovall where at least and inch or two taller than Tevonn.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

24 years ago...

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/gipson-scores-big-in-vu-loss/article_24da8a40-16d3-5517-bc74-ef265ad4bc33.html

as Chef reported... he was in the same seat when Ensminger set the school record...
I was in the same seat when Tracy set this one.   

FWalum

Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2017, 06:59:41 AM
24 years ago...

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/gipson-scores-big-in-vu-loss/article_24da8a40-16d3-5517-bc74-ef265ad4bc33.html

as Chef reported... he was in the same seat when Ensminger set the school record...
Despite the rather underwhelming W-L records of that era, those teams were so fun to watch, albeit frustrating with some of the close losses, as the jump shooters on those teams could be spectacular, you could just sense the growth of the program and the future potential.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2017, 06:59:41 AM
24 years ago...

The growth in the program is very evident today. Recently we beat GB by 24 on a Monday night in the middle of January in the ARC. In 1993, 24 years ago, we lost in overtime to UWGB by 7 on a Monday night in early February. In both games a Valpo record was set by one of the program's best players over the years.