• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21- Wright State Friday January 27 7pm ARC *NOTE GAME TIME

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2017, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on January 28, 2017, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: M on January 28, 2017, 09:09:21 AM

Speaking of the upper deck, the announced attendance was at 3400ish.  It looked more full on TV.

That is good attendance considering Valpo High School was playing a big game against Merrillville at the same time. There were probably 3,000 at VHS as well. That's a pretty good combined attendance. I guarantee many at the VHS game would have been at VU if the game was today vs. Wright State.

agibson

Quote from: M on January 28, 2017, 09:50:18 AMAlso, did anyone else see Lottich giving the ref the business when they wouldn't review Tevonn getting grabbed by the face and thrown aside? This was right after they reviewed the play looking to see if Walker elbowed Flopstork under the basket.

I was doing my best version of that from Section EE. My wife claims the refs couldn't hear me.

Crowd was decent. I don't mind seeing the frats or sororities in their dozens - people in the seats, and hopefully they cheer a bit and some become fans.

But, here's a fan etiquette question. Is it not a thing in basketball to wait for a timeout, or at least a dead ball, before moving around the seating area? That's gospel in baseball, and probably hockey, right?

I'm maybe more affected than most because I tend to sit on an aisle. And I mostly put up with it if it's one person, moving quickly. But, when it's a group of two dozen together, it's a bit much! In Section EE I'd suggest the stairs against the wall, if they really can't wait for a timeout.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 28, 2017, 07:20:03 AM
Quote from: wh on January 27, 2017, 10:43:41 PM
Apparently, you have blocked last year's game at the ARC out of your mind. We took the foot off the gas in that one too and got run over by a MAC truck.

I believe that if Tevonn hadn't sparked the scoring and tough defense and Benzinger had been hitting his threes (he missed all of his threes all game) and if their former coach Donlon had been around to choreograph a comeback that Wright State would have Wrong Stated us again.

Odd take. If Alec makes a couple more threes, it would have been even more lopsided. We scored our 56th point with over 9 minutes left. Wright State had some semblance of an offense at the end before Valpo kicked it in gear on defense at the end once Wright State got it to 7, which was still a massive lead considering their offensive performance. I don't think Tevonn was the only player playing well on defense. Sorolla had some shot alterations late, and Joseph was playing good defense.

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 27, 2017, 09:22:16 PM
Oakland looked so dominant against us.  Why have they been losing? 

I watched a bit of their Green Bay game tonight and didn't see Stevie Clark.They look lazy and confused a lot.   Of course they had shot 1 of 13 from 3-point line so that kills anyone.

Just wondering what happened to the stud team we saw at the ARC.
Been wondering the same thing, but with a smile!  We need to remember how they played then, especially in the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agibson

Quote from: VU2624 on January 28, 2017, 10:13:46 AMHe should have tossed a red hankercheif and asked them to review for a facemask penalty.

My wife did think one of the refs looked like Steratore. This comment made me do a double check for NFL connections!

VU2014

Post Game Press Conference

Coach Lottich was pretty critical of the officiating and non-calls during the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzuswcAWB-I&t=33s

M

He is right to be critical and fight for his guys. Alec is continuously grabbed/held when going through the lane and rarely gets that called in his favor.

hailcrusaders

I've noticed fans move freely through aisles during gameplay at other mid major level bball games. Although I bet it's highly dependent on the venue/event. I doubt that'd fly at a Bulls or Hoosiers game. Perhaps a direct relationship with ticket prices and usher vigilance.
#CrusadersForever

valpospartan

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 28, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
I've noticed fans move freely through aisles during gameplay at other mid major level bball games. Although I bet it's highly dependent on the venue/event. I doubt that'd fly at a Bulls or Hoosiers game. Perhaps a direct relationship with ticket prices and usher vigilance.

Even worse,  people are allowed to walk along side the court level while the game is in progress. This goes on throughout the game.  Even the High school doesn't allow this.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on January 28, 2017, 07:20:03 AM
Quote from: wh on January 27, 2017, 10:43:41 PM
Apparently, you have blocked last year's game at the ARC out of your mind. We took the foot off the gas in that one too and got run over by a MAC truck.

I believe that if Tevonn hadn't sparked the scoring and tough defense and Benzinger had been hitting his threes (he missed all of his threes all game) and if their former coach Donlon had been around to choreograph a comeback that Wright State would have Wrong Stated us again.

Another example of taking our foot off the gas happened against Detroit 6 games ago. We had a 12 point lead (67-55) with 5:47 to go. The Titans then went on a 13-4 run over the next 4:07 to close within 3 with 1:40 to go. It was anyone's game at that point.  Fortunately, Tevonn saved the day again, scoring 5 of our final 8 points on 5 of 6 FT's.

wh

I almost forgot this. A VU student was holding up a sign for the Wright State team to see as they entered the ARC from the locker room. It was mocking WS's logo, and on it he had written the words "this is not a Raider" with an arrow pointing to the wolf on the logo.

That got me to thinking - why in the world do they have a wolf on their logo, when they call themselves the Raiders?  Does anyone know the back story on this?  Wouldn't that be like the NC State Wolfpack displaying a raider on their logo? ;)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 29, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
I almost forgot this. A VU student was holding up a sign for the Wright State team to see as they entered the ARC from the locker room. It was mocking WS's logo, and on it he had written the words "this is not a Raider" with an arrow pointing to the wolf on the logo.

That got me to thinking - why in the world do they have a wolf on their logo, when they call themselves the Raiders?  Does anyone know the back story on this?  Wouldn't that be like the NC State Wolfpack displaying a raider on their logo? ;)

http://m.wsuraiders.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205213920&DB_OEM_ID=27000&

hailcrusaders

Political correctness at its finest once again...

The article wasn't conclusive on whether there was public pressure to change the mascot, or if it's something university administration decided was a problem and sought out to fix.

Do the women of Wright State University feel better represented by a wolf than they do the viking-looking character? At least the viking is the same species. Cleveland State hasn't had a similar problem with their masculine viking logo, have they?
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 29, 2017, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: wh on January 29, 2017, 08:05:39 PM

http://m.wsuraiders.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205213920&DB_OEM_ID=27000&;

In 1996, in a drive to update and eliminate singular gender considerations, a marketing firm was hired to come up with a new mascot, and the WSU wolf was born. So, in 1997, WSU athletics retired the "Viking" Rowdy and introduced the wolf as its official mascot. "We wanted a symbol that would take us into the future," said Iris Harvey, WSU assistant vice-president of communications and marketing. Too much equity had been spent on the Raiders nickname to change that. Did you know WSU - founded in 1964 - is the only state school in Ohio named after a person or persons (the flight-inventing Wright brothers)? Flight-oriented names were shunned in deference to crosstown University of Dayton, whose teams are known as the Flyers.

Since this is the case maybe WSU should have themed the Wright Brothers in the nickname and called themselves Inventors, Cyclists, Editors, Printers, Kite men, etc.

FWalum

Just thinking that it is a crazy mixed up world where a "Raider" is a more socially acceptable nickname than a "Crusader".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Quote from: M on January 28, 2017, 09:50:18 AM
I do want to give props to Mark Alstork. He's been watching a lot of LeBron film...his flopping might be tops in the league.

Also, did anyone else see Lottich giving the ref the business when they wouldn't review Tevonn getting grabbed by the face and thrown aside? This was right after they reviewed the play looking to see if Walker elbowed Flopstork under the basket.
LOL, and Justin Kinnear (covers WSU) went ballistic on twitter when they didn't give Tevonn a flagrant on that play.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2017, 10:27:55 AMBut, here's a fan etiquette question. Is it not a thing in basketball to wait for a timeout, or at least a dead ball, before moving around the seating area? That's gospel in baseball, and probably hockey, right?

Can't speak about hockey, but having been to many baseball games, it's a gospel that's NEVER EVER FOLLOWED.

I'm even more alone in my position than you are, because I also frown on standing up unless the people behind you are standing up (during the game).

We're dinosaurs, apparently ;)

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 30, 2017, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2017, 10:27:55 AMBut, here's a fan etiquette question. Is it not a thing in basketball to wait for a timeout, or at least a dead ball, before moving around the seating area? That's gospel in baseball, and probably hockey, right?

Can't speak about hockey, but having been to many baseball games, it's a gospel that's NEVER EVER FOLLOWED.

I'm even more alone in my position than you are, because I also frown on standing up unless the people behind you are standing up (during the game).

Just showing your age. If the young people today can't put down their iphones to actually look at you when you're speaking to them do you think they care that they are blocking your view at a sporting event?

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 30, 2017, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 30, 2017, 07:10:09 PM

Just showing your age. If the young people today can't put down their iphones to actually look at you when you're speaking to them do you think they care that they are blocking your view at a sporting event?
Au Contraire.  I get yelled at for not understanding what a basketball game is.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on January 30, 2017, 10:14:29 AM
Just thinking that it is a crazy mixed up world where a "Raider" is a more socially acceptable nickname than a "Crusader".

I'm with you, but there we are.

I can well imagine that the Uhlans were bad dudes, but I'd be happy for a return.

bbtds

It has much more to do with Raider not being a nickname that offends muslims (supposedly) while the background of the word "crusader" is rooted in anti-muslim history.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 31, 2017, 12:03:20 AM

It has much more to do with Raider not being a nickname that offends muslims (supposedly) while the background of the word "crusader" is rooted in anti-muslim history.

Perhaps you meant to say is rooted in protecting Christians from invading muslims.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I suspect there were bad hombres on both sides of many conflicts in the Middle Ages.

I equally suspect we can guess who the losers were.