• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24- Green Bay Saturday February 4 Noon Resch Center

Started by talksalot, February 02, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Bad bad bad...get over it and get back to winning next week.

crusadermoe

As our new Prez would say,..."just horrible....a complete disaster."

"But we are going to replace it with something much better..sonething really terrific" 

Can we repeal this game?  Shameful effort that I thought a star senor would prevent.  He needed to just denand the ball late in first balf and drive the hoop.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 04, 2017, 01:32:57 PMThis game has everything to do with energy and effort. We're not showing either. Credit to GBW for out hustling us on every level.
Quote from: rink on February 04, 2017, 01:35:40 PMApparently it doesn't matter who's in the game, Smits or otherwise. We're Swiss cheese on D. Perhaps partly to blame on putrid O setting up GB to run.
A quick team that jumps ahead will frequently require you to use a smaller lineup. Vashil saw fewer than average minutes against GB in recent years. Had Jubril been available I doubt if Derrik and J would have played a combined 20 minutes. You have to match up.

When you are beaten at every aspect of the game there isn't much to say. My pride is a bit hurt but I otherwise see no damage. JLA is still our only path to the dance, and we have plenty of time to prepare our adjustments.

ValpoFan

How is it possible that the two 7 footers we have combine for a total of 1 rebound the whole game?
Rebounding doesn't take speed, athleticism, or experience... it is just effort and willingness to box out and fight. Ask T. Walker, he is 6-2 and had 7.

vu72

Just a flippin disaster from start to finish.  Derrik with another 2 point 1 board day only to J play even worse, 2 points 0 rebounds.  Only 61% from the free throw line and were out rebounded by 21!!!!  Alec did look disinterested and turnover prone.  Just a wholesale mess.  Move on...it can't get worse.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

I liked GBs defense. They made AP handle the ball outside the arc under pressure and he gave it up a few timeS and was forced to defer to teammates.

justducky

Awfully quiet around here for a game day. You folks still pouting?

Well we have seen Oakland at their best and GB at their best and when we travel to Dayton we will likely see the same. I think the HL has gotten our attention and overconfidence at JLA will not be an issue. But---full strength we still have the best combination of talents to give any 7, 6, 5 or 4 seeds nightmares. Matt just has to figure out a way to make it happen.

Did anyone else get the feeling that today Matt was the guy playing possum? Why else would he have allowed some of the repeated mistakes that we witnessed?

crusadermoe

You know i thought the same thing.  He is a calm guy but he really seemed content to let them flail.

Odd... but maybe there was something going on.  Maybe he saw early that they were mailing it in and decided to let them feel the result.

They were horrrible. But in reality a great RPI does nothing if you go to the JLA and  sleep walk a game.  So maybe he was dumb like a fox.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on February 04, 2017, 05:47:21 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that today Matt was the guy playing possum? Why else would he have allowed some of the repeated mistakes that we witnessed?

Who else is he going to sub in when the whole starting lineup and 6-7-8 men haven't got their heads in the game?

Nice way to trap us into commenting on asanine comments.  You win!

But seriously, can't put that loss on Coach.  They was 75% effort from the entirety of VU.  Games like these are going to happen.  We have (4) scholarship players unable to suit up.  Should have had (5) if Jaume is indeed guilty of being a freshmen who likes to down a few.

We have very little margin for error with this team.  And Hammink being a headcase, Tevonn getting hacked all game, Alec in a different head space and two freshmen centers aren't always going to win.

I'm still optimistic because not many HL teams can play lock down defense like GB decided to do with (6) seniors on their roster.

We aren't (overall) athletic enough to overcome some teams that also have good coaching.  Was bound to happen.  Oklahomamick is right, we seriously need a strong class these next two years (3* and up) because if we want to be like the other big boys (Butler, Wichita State, Zags etc)....we need to have deeper benches to do so.

Go VU...we are going to come out during next week.  Jubril ought to be back, Jaume gets a little mental/physical rest.  Derrick gets some playing time. 

It's HL tournament champs or nothing!!! Always has been.

valpo64

We got out rebounded 53-32!!!!   And Matt talks about the officiating?????   How about lack of effort!

valpolaw

I'm not buying the officiating complaints and surprised ML would hint at that. We got it handed to us from beginning to end. It's as simple as that. We could've had any refs in the country and that poor effort would've got us the same result. It seemed like we came to play from about 8 minutes to 2 minutes left in the game but that was it.

talksalot

Quote from: valpo64 on February 04, 2017, 07:28:55 PMWe got out rebounded 53-32!!!!   

We were ahead in rebounds 19-18 at the half.

This shall become a game that is never mentioned again.   

VU2014

QuoteHow is it possible that the two 7 footers we have combine for a total of 1 rebound the whole game?
Rebounding doesn't take speed, athleticism, or experience... it is just effort and willingness to box out and fight. Ask T. Walker, he is 6-2 and had 7.

Agreed most of rebounding is effort and just out scrapping the other team for rebounds. But I think experience definitely helps. Experience in the way learning technique and learning to properly box out and positioning yourself for rebounds.

No excuse for the 1 rebound between the two of them.

valpo84

2, 3, 5, 7 & 8 all knocked off today so far but they all won't be penalised as much as we will.  Teams have off nights and pick up an occasional loss. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

a3uge

Quote from: valpo84 on February 04, 2017, 09:41:29 PM
2, 3, 5, 7 & 8 all knocked off today so far but they all won't be penalised as much as we will.  Teams have off nights and pick up an occasional loss.
Right?

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 04, 2017, 08:43:19 PMThis shall become a game that is never mentioned again.   

As the color guy on the ESPN3 broadcast said it is the perfect game for a teaching moment on Lottich's part. And if you think that after this thread that no one on this board will ever mention this game again then you're crazy!  ;)

FieldGoodie05

usc4valpo

84 - let us have a reality check. Valpo has no chance for being at large team. Valpo was better last year, and losing by 20 to Woogie Boogie is not a good indicator of a team worthy of an at large bid.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on February 04, 2017, 05:47:21 PM
Awfully quiet around here for a game day. You folks still pouting?

Well we have seen Oakland at their best and GB at their best and when we travel to Dayton we will likely see the same. I think the HL has gotten our attention and overconfidence at JLA will not be an issue. But---full strength we still have the best combination of talents to give any 7, 6, 5 or 4 seeds nightmares. Matt just has to figure out a way to make it happen.

Beg to differ.  I was sitting in row M behind our bench. ML was pissed most of the game and in the second half was very animated in timeout huddles. He WAS coaching, but the players continued to not do what they are capable of.  Even my wife commented on how many offensive RBs and put backs GB had.  When was the last time we got killed on the boards like that?

Have to second comments on Derrik being a step slow in reactions and also seemingly in the wrong place many times. GBs 6-10 center from Turkey, took him to school inside the paint.  DS needs a year or two to bulk up and work on his vertical. He also needs to develop intensity and stop the pouting after every call against him -- sign of immaturity.   

In my opinion, we let some poor calls by the officials get into our heads.

Also, when was the last time you saw Tevonn miss two dunks?

Finally, I am still waiting to see more set plays for Alec to free him up. IMO he should be working off creative screens and double screens (not just the singletary high post screens that are being set up top) that give him clear looks at the basket and, as mentioned previously, not being forced to handle the ball and get trapped outside the arc. Last year Vashil got a number of pick and roll baskets from that outside dbl team on AP, but our two freshman centers aren't getting that done.

It also appeared to me that the vets do not yet have a lot of confidence in them.  So even on open opportunities they are reluctant (more so with Derrik than Jay) to give them the ball.

VULB#62

Not to put us at tbe same level as the top Ncaa seeds, but did you notice that it wasn't only favored Valpo who was embarrassed?  I think it was 4 of the top 6 went down yesterday -- some by over 20.  Something in the air?

usc4valpo

Iowa State was outstanding last night and caught Kansas a bit flat. the PAC 12 is very tough this year.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 05, 2017, 10:14:02 AMBeg to differ.  I was sitting in row M behind our bench. ML was pissed most of the game and in the second half was very animated in timeout huddles. He WAS coaching, but the players continued to not do what they are capable of. 
At some point in the second half with the starters in total disarray; he should have stomped to the end of the bench, grabbed any 5 guys and sent them all to the scorers table at once. When the substitution is made just glare at all of them  >:( and send them to the empty seats. Its called making a point.  :thumbsup:

I can't remember the last time Matt or Bryce pulled Alec with a display of visible anger. Yesterday Alec and  especially Shane needed it in spades! You succeed as a team and you fail as a team. I will clearly remember this game as a team loss.