• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #25-Cleveland State Thursday February 9 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, February 04, 2017, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Hey, how about that Milwaukee game last Thursday?

A cure for what ails you may be Cleveland State.   Here's the box score from their "game" against Oakland Today (Saturday)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400918491  32% FG and 4-22 from 3; out rebounded 49-30.  The only part that is trouble-some is the 12 steals (10 from starters).

Here's the box from our first game with them.  Alec with 30-9... spending most of the evening at the free throw line, with both AP and TW MAKING 10 FTs each.

M

Get one back and sit one down, Valpo wins this one 78-55.

NativeCheesehead

I hope the long layoff between the Milwaukee game and this one don't effect us too much. 

valpo64

Now that the GB game is behind us, let's get it on again vs. CSU.  We need to be looking for AP more.  If you watch closely, we very often are a "count or 2" late in getting the ball to AP coming off a screen. When we are late in getting him the ball, the defense has reacted and covered him. Let's not waste this talent that may be the best of all time at VU.  I just don't understand how the second leading scorer in the Country only gets around 15 shots per game.  I think that Hammink is the worst of our guys in getting the ball to AP.  Very often he doesn't appear to be looking for him, especially off of a screen.  With the attention AP gets from the defense, when he does get open it isn't for a long period.  Our guys need to be looking for that "right" time.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2017, 10:33:59 AM
Now that the GB game is behind us, let's get it on again vs. CSU.  We need to be looking for AP more.  If you watch closely, we very often are a "count or 2" late in getting the ball to AP coming off a screen. When we are late in getting him the ball, the defense has reacted and covered him. Let's not waste this talent that may be the best of all time at VU.  I just don't understand how the second leading scorer in the Country only gets around 15 shots per game.  I think that Hammink is the worst of our guys in getting the ball to AP.  Very often he doesn't appear to be looking for him, especially off of a screen.  With the attention AP gets from the defense, when he does get open it isn't for a long period.  Our guys need to be looking for that "right" time.

Hammink has shown himself to be our most selfish player.  He's a key player for us, but I don't celebrate his personal victories like I do the other players.  Team sport and all.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 05, 2017, 10:41:40 AM

Hammink has shown himself to be our most selfish player.  He's a key player for us, but I don't celebrate his personal victories like I do the other players.  Team sport and all.
[/b]

Totally unfair, and if you think that Matt wouldn't have pulled him if he thought so, you are wrong again.  Shane is doing what he needs to do as is Max, Lexus, Tevonn and others.  With Alec drawing double and triple teams there needs to be drives to the basket to hopefully leave a shooter open on the wing.  Whether or not Shane is doing that effectively is up for grabs. Shane is drawing fouls and making 82.2 % and is hitting baskets at the highest rate for anyone in the normal rotation.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2017, 11:38:07 AM

[/b]

Totally unfair, and if you think that Matt wouldn't have pulled him if he thought so, you are wrong again.  Shane is doing what he needs to do as is Max, Lexus, Tevonn and others.  With Alec drawing double and triple teams there needs to be drives to the basket to hopefully leave a shooter open on the wing.  Whether or not Shane is doing that effectively is up for grabs. Shane is drawing fouls and making 82.2 % and is hitting baskets at the highest rate for anyone in the normal rotation.

Not here to argue semantics, he is our most selfish player to me.  Degree to which is hardly worth arguing.  My observation is Shane needs to look up on his drives, because the defenders are crashing down EVERY STINKING TIME because they know he has a high dribble.

His TO are too high because he gets into beast mode and closes out the other 4 players.  Fair is hardly my intention, I'd enjoy seeing progress.  This is my armchair QB observation.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 06, 2017, 11:58:04 AMHis TO are too high because he gets into beast mode and closes out the other 4 players.
How many times at GB did he drive down the floor ahead of our trailers only to go 1 on 3 for a turn over or poor shot? Was that in the game plan? What about Alec getting stripped 3 times from behind in transition? Was that in the game plan?

Anybody got copies of the CSU and GB game plans?  ::)  I'd like to try to understand just what Matt is and was thinking.

covufan

Get back on track, forget about previous games.

Valpo   77
CSU     53

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Here are the game notes from the CSU view...

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016-17/releases/20170208i9ouk8

•    The Vikings used a 57 point second half shooting 19-of-31 (.613) from the field in the second half and hit eight straight shots at one point to key a 19-0 run.

•    CSU has hit a three-pointer in a school-record 590 straight games.
•    The Vikings have hit at least three three's in 139   straight games.
•    The last time CSU failed to make a three-pointer was Feb. 21, 1998, when the Vikings were 0-for-8 in a 60-57 win over Detroit.

vusupporter

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 06, 2017, 11:58:04 AM

[/b]

Not here to argue semantics, he is our most selfish player to me.  Degree to which is hardly worth arguing.  My observation is Shane needs to look up on his drives, because the defenders are crashing down EVERY STINKING TIME because they know he has a high dribble.

His TO are too high because he gets into beast mode and closes out the other 4 players.  Fair is hardly my intention, I'd enjoy seeing progress.  This is my armchair QB observation.

Hammink's turnover rate is down 3% this year, his assist rate is up 2%, and he's getting to the foul line nearly a third more than he did last year. Within league only play, year to year, his turnover rate is down 5.5%.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vusupporter on February 08, 2017, 06:28:04 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 06, 2017, 11:58:04 AM

[/b]

Hammink's turnover rate is down 3% this year, his assist rate is up 2%, and he's getting to the foul line nearly a third more than he did last year. Within league only play, year to year, his turnover rate is down 5.5%.

Progress, are his MPG up too?  He just makes some very poor decisions each game, when he dribbles in traffic or drives the lane my blood pressure goes through the roof anticipating disaster.

VUfan

Well here we are no Room to give up a game, seems to get down to this point in every season. Losing any of the next four games means, that Valpo depends on help to win the league. Lets see what this team is made of.
Valpo 78 CSU 64, Rebounds Valpo 45 CSU 31, foul shots 25 Valpo  14 CSU   ;)

wh

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 08, 2017, 09:58:43 PMThe spread: Valpo -12.5

Big spread with a lot of uncertainties such as Jaume or Jurbril.   
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

awfully quiet around here.  Did we lose some off the bandwagon after the GB loss?  >:(

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2017, 09:42:39 AMQuote from: wh on February 08, 2017, 09:58:43 PM
The spread: Valpo -12.5

Big spread with a lot of uncertainties such as Jaume or Jurbril.   

I do sometimes wonder to what extent gamblers are unaware of these issues, particularly if it's not a star player, not a Top 25 team, or how detailed their models of the various possibilities might be.

Quote from: valpolaw on February 09, 2017, 10:12:36 AMawfully quiet around here.  Did we lose some off the bandwagon after the GB loss? 

I'm definitely starting to share some of the students' excuses. The semester's getting busy! I'll try to be at the game Saturday, but not tonight.

To do triple duty in this post: It probably deserves its own thread if it doesn't have one, but registration for the Oakland game events closes soon. Fan bus from Valpo. Dinner at the Red Ox. The game of course.

wh

Let me the first to declare:

The ARC is no longer a special place. End of an era. Sad.

valpolaw

a3uge

hailcrusaders

Attendance is horrific. Students especially, but I'd guess no more than 2500 total on hand tonight to watch this first place team.

Excuses will be: Weeknight, bad opponent. Anyone know if VHS plays this evening?
#CrusadersForever

FieldGoodie05

Hammink, great 3 to start the game. 

But takes early shot clock 3, bad possession.  And two times he drives the lane with little control as the ball dribbles out of bounce....good aggression.  But also prone to forcing it.  First 4 minutes.

But gonna be hard to replace him.