• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #25-Cleveland State Thursday February 9 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, February 04, 2017, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 09, 2017, 07:23:05 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 09, 2017, 07:12:42 PMAttendance is horrific. Students especially, but I'd guess no more than 2500 total on hand tonight to watch this first place team. Excuses will be: Weeknight, bad opponent. Anyone know if VHS plays this evening?
Do we know each games attendance going back to early 2000s?  If so, what's the actual data show? When we were students in the early 2000s quite a few of us spread out around the seat backs section.  Just saying we should probably see some data overall.  Still need more student involvement though.

2455 was the official attendance this evening. I'd give myself a pat on the back for my 2500 guess, but that's like being proud of predicting a loss.
#CrusadersForever

NativeCheesehead

Seriously. There is a full time marketing position in the athletic department.  One of two things is true:

1. That person does not have a plan to increase basketball attendance.

2. That person's plan has failed miserably.

VULB#62

Not being able to attend games on campus, can someone fill me in on what the half-times are like.  The reason I ask this is that at both the UWM and UWGB games I attended this past week, every time out and the whole half-time were filled with audience-engaging activities that involved mostly students: e.g., Slingshooting rubber chickens into a shopping cart from 50', pizza box pickup races, Tee Shirt Cannons, etc., etc. That was in addition to the dance squad doing routines. It kind of held my attention and filled what otherwise would be very quiet breaks in the game.

If we are doing those things (you can't really tell on ESPN3 because they immediately go to commercials) then great -- keep it up.  If not, perhaps that would add to the fan experience and be a better draw.  Just asking.........

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 10, 2017, 10:54:30 AM
Not being able to attend games on campus, can someone fill me in on what the half-times are like.  The reason I ask this is that at both the UWM and UWGB games I attended this past week, every time out and the whole half-time were filled with audience-engaging activities that involved mostly students: e.g., Slingshooting rubber chickens into a shopping cart from 50', pizza box pickup races, Tee Shirt Cannons, etc., etc. That was in addition to the dance squad doing routines. It kind of held my attention and filled what otherwise would be very quiet breaks in the game.

If we are doing those things (you can't really tell on ESPN3 because they immediately go to commercials) then great -- keep it up.  If not, perhaps that would add to the fan experience and be a better draw.  Just asking.........

Good point, the tumblers back in 2000-2004 were awesome!  The two games I've attended were grade schoolers playing a game at halftime.  Entertaining to those who enjoy sports (barely) but alienates many. 

I see the value of getting the regions future talent familiar with our program...but at what cost!

NativeCheesehead

The promotions are awful. Same ones every game. And I am now intentionally not going to Family Express because of those ads which sap the energy out of the crowd at every time out.  >:(

M

Hopefully the majority of students are staying away in some sort of protest until they FreeJubril

covufan

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 09, 2017, 10:20:22 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 09, 2017, 07:23:05 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 09, 2017, 07:12:42 PMAttendance is horrific. Students especially, but I'd guess no more than 2500 total on hand tonight to watch this first place team. Excuses will be: Weeknight, bad opponent. Anyone know if VHS plays this evening?
Do we know each games attendance going back to early 2000s?  If so, what's the actual data show? When we were students in the early 2000s quite a few of us spread out around the seat backs section.  Just saying we should probably see some data overall.  Still need more student involvement though.

2455 was the official attendance this evening. I'd give myself a pat on the back for my 2500 guess, but that's like being proud of predicting a loss.
Until we average 4500 per game for a few seasons, we should table any talk of expanding the ARC or getting a new expanded venue.  Update/improve the ARC and game day experience - continue discussion.

talksalot

Halftime...

The last couple of week-night games there was nothing after the Crusaderettes performed.   It was the pep-band.

Last night, we had a sponsored-free-throw shooting contest for 1 minute; followed by the St. Mary's of Crown Point 6th grade girls team running a scrimmage for 8 minutes.  Then a 60-second video board presentation of John Kizer doing a white board drawing of a Hippo; which was interrupted by the pep-band playing the fight song when the team returned to court about a minute ahead of when they usually do.

We've had several middle school teams come in to play at halftime, I'm told they buy A LOT of tickets.   When the student section is "present"; they generally get into these games and cheer at every basket.

We had a number of other promotions last night, including "scads" of Motor City Madness Tshirts being tossed out; a three-point-shooting contest, the bounce the ball into the Luke Oil coffee cup.  We had several "tweeting" things going on... Tweet @ValpoAthletics and @Dominos for a chance at a free pizza delivered to you after halftime (I'm told they get quite a few hits every game); if you re-tweeted the ValpoAthletics tweet about the Motor City Madness, you had a chance to win tickets to the tournament.

On the side, there was a make-a-wish foundation silent auction for a Patrick Kane jersey at a table in the mezzanine.

VU2014

QuoteUntil we average 4500 per game for a few seasons, we should table any talk of expanding the ARC or getting a new expanded venue.  Update/improve the ARC and game day experience - continue discussion.

Probably right but I think the even bigger reason is until some very wealthy and generous people decide write a big check we won't be seeing a renovation. Our most generous alumni won't be writing a check unless the University leadership makes that a priority in fundraising (not going to happen anytime soon from the looks of it). It's sort of a moot point at this point. Even if we were drawing a consistent 4,500 I'm not sure the leadership would be open minded about a new/renovated ARC. I'm just not convinced thats in their vision or at least they sure have never hinted at it.

a3uge

I wonder where ML's head is at with our bigs. Smits and Sorrola played pretty well offensively last night. One of those guys, if not both, are going to see reduced minutes if/when Jubril returns. Smits may be too big of a liability with his rebounding. Sorrola has been coming off the bench despite poor starts, so that tells me Sorrola will come off the bench first for Jubril.

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on February 10, 2017, 12:39:28 PMI wonder where ML's head is at with our bigs. Smits and Sorrola played pretty well offensively last night. One of those guys, if not both, are going to see reduced minutes if/when Jubril returns. Smits may be too big of a liability with his rebounding. Sorrola has been coming off the bench despite poor starts, so that tells me Sorrola will come off the bench first for Jubril.

Or play Jubril at the 4?
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

QuoteI wonder where ML's head is at with our bigs. Smits and Sorrola played pretty well offensively last night. One of those guys, if not both, are going to see reduced minutes if/when Jubril returns. Smits may be too big of a liability with his rebounding. Sorrola has been coming off the bench despite poor starts, so that tells me Sorrola will come off the bench first for Jubril.

Good problems to have. Jubril is not a center. He's a true 4. Alec can play either the 3 or the 4. Shane could play the 2 or the 3. But you could definitely play Jubril with one of the freshman centers. Early in the season Jubril was pretty solid from the 3 pt line which could space the floor for the big guys or at least keep defenders honest.

crusaderjoe

Who needs halftime promotions or better game day atmosphere?  Just put your running shoes on and walk around the track a few times to get your cardio in during media timeouts.  Nothing says "D-I program" more than that.

I kid, I kid.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 10, 2017, 12:56:51 PM
QuoteI wonder where ML's head is at with our bigs. Smits and Sorrola played pretty well offensively last night. One of those guys, if not both, are going to see reduced minutes if/when Jubril returns. Smits may be too big of a liability with his rebounding. Sorrola has been coming off the bench despite poor starts, so that tells me Sorrola will come off the bench first for Jubril.

Good problems to have. Jubril is not a center. He's a true 4. Alec can play either the 3 or the 4. Shane could play the 2 or the 3. But you could definitely play Jubril with one of the freshman centers. Early in the season Jubril was pretty solid from the 3 pt line which could space the floor for the big guys or at least keep defenders honest.

An opinion:  Alec is awesome, but a liability defending the speed of the SF spot.  Also, his rebounding is key for us...the SF spot pulls him away from the hoop to get chance at a defensive rebound.  We are best with Alec at the PF spot defensively.  Offensively he is known as Lord Peters....all is his domain 🤴🏻

Thoughts?

valpo64

Regarding your comment on "Lord Peters",  I agree with your offensive comment.  AP appears to be able to score at will, whether it be from outside or inside.  My only comment is that the team ought to get him more touches.  If you watch Alec work in the offensive court, he works hard to get open.  When he is open it usually is not for very long so the team needs to pay more attention to when he is open then get the ball to him.  It often is not Alec's fault that he doesn't take more shots.  He just does not always get the ball when he is open

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 10, 2017, 12:56:51 PM

Having Jubril, Alec-Shane and a "Smirolla" playing simultaniously was something I was expecting but Matt never got the chance to get around to it. With Jubril back and Jay and Derrik maturing the timing for its introduction is even better. Short stretches of this combination with 2 of Max-Tevonn-Lexus might be particularly successful. I left Micah out of this hypothetical because I would want 2 experienced ball handlers on the floor with that combination of bigs. If Jubril returns the last 6 games of this regular season could be just as experimentally interesting as our first 6! Who knows how many "cocktails of destruction" Matt might be able to blend.  :o   

I love it when the HL doesn't know what to expect or how to react!

VU2014

Kind of crazy to think there are only 6 games left. This season went by fast.

wh

Quote from: talksalot on February 10, 2017, 11:49:25 AM
Halftime...

The last couple of week-night games there was nothing after the Crusaderettes performed.   It was the pep-band.

Last night, we had a sponsored-free-throw shooting contest for 1 minute; followed by the St. Mary's of Crown Point 6th grade girls team running a scrimmage for 8 minutes.  Then a 60-second video board presentation of John Kizer doing a white board drawing of a Hippo; which was interrupted by the pep-band playing the fight song when the team returned to court about a minute ahead of when they usually do.

We've had several middle school teams come in to play at halftime, I'm told they buy A LOT of tickets.   When the student section is "present"; they generally get into these games and cheer at every basket.

We had a number of other promotions last night, including "scads" of Motor City Madness Tshirts being tossed out; a three-point-shooting contest, the bounce the ball into the Luke Oil coffee cup.  We had several "tweeting" things going on... Tweet @ValpoAthletics and @Dominos for a chance at a free pizza delivered to you after halftime (I'm told they get quite a few hits every game); if you re-tweeted the ValpoAthletics tweet about the Motor City Madness, you had a chance to win tickets to the tournament.

On the side, there was a make-a-wish foundation silent auction for a Patrick Kane jersey at a table in the mezzanine.

Good decision. The garbage is where they belong.

bbtds

Quote from: M on February 10, 2017, 11:02:13 AM
Hopefully the majority of students are staying away in some sort of protest until they FreeJubril

Jubril humor. You better explain it to you know who.

HailVU2014

Quite simply, I think that folks responded to the theme of Thursday Night's Game quite well. It was Motor City Madness Night at the ARC, so what speaks better to Motor City Madness Night showing the Horizon League, our team, other teams, etc., what Motor City Madness means: folks dressed up like empty seats, little-to-no student section, and a very poor atmosphere for a first place team. All of this will be repeated on the road come March, so everyone might as well get used to it now, so I think our fans did an amazing job trying to prep them for that atmosphere! Great Job!

^^^ Note the above is intended as a joke and sarcasm.

Ok, on a serious note... When I was a student at VU, Thursday games were by far the most difficult to attend. With wrapping up homework, quizzes and exams that were usually on Fridays, all intermixed with balancing campus jobs and other student organizations, it was a very difficult sacrifice of time to get to a game. Sometimes, if the game wasn't over by 9pm (it was a blow out), I would leave early just so I could get my stuff done and get something that resembles sleep. Also, with the exception of 2015, we've had very lackluster attendance for Cleveland State home games. I made the trek to the ARC last year and it was light, and I infamously remember how empty it was for Senior Day in 2014. So perception of the opponent may be built into it somewhat.

I think that the attendance will greatly improve on a Saturday night. Go Valpo!

usc4valpo

Dude, that is a lame excuse. I am sure Duke fans have the same excuse. What's next - fraternities and sororities have songfest practice?

Valpo Joe

Back in the day - practice for Song Fest was mandatory. The PRIZE for winning was a KEG shared by sorority and fraternity winners. Who paid ???  VU  :o . Under age drinkers  :-X     :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

usc4valpo

I graduated in 1984 and that was no way the college would pay for the keg, even if it were Old Milwaukee. Personally I loathed songfest. What cracked me up was how some sororities treated this as regional warfare and how critical it was for them to place. You can only laugh about it today as we have all grown up.

agibson

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 09, 2017, 10:15:48 PMare they allowed to sit in the mezzanine, which is rarely full? Or just the official student section behind the basket?

Last I checked the official policy for students was student section, AA, or EE (side section bleachers in the mezzanine). But, as for faculty/staff, nobody's going to hassle them if they're in BB, CC, or DD when those aren't full (most games).

As I've mentioned, I often see athletic teams in AA. Other students too. Sometimes frats in EE, and certainly a fair number of students in DD. Probably BB too. To include a fair number of international students.

JPEven

Quote from: M on February 10, 2017, 11:02:13 AMHopefully the majority of students are staying away in some sort of protest until they FreeJubril

It's already a movement and it's #LetJubrilPlay :)