• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #25-Cleveland State Thursday February 9 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, February 04, 2017, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPEven

Quote from: talksalot on February 10, 2017, 11:49:25 AMIt was the pep-band.

I was one of the more dedicated music majors in my class and when we were at VU, EVERYONE who was actually serious about music avoid the pep band like the plague.  This isn't a dig at the style of music, but the band was so horrific, anyone who seriously enjoyed music of any style didn't want to associate with the band.  Also, I lived on an intensive steady floor, played a piano for four hours a day, and my friends and I still managed to be supremely more socially functional than most of the pep band.  Even worse, most of them didn't even understand basketball.  That atmosphere at the arc would have been so much better if they just played recorded music.

I went to a large state school for grad school, and they payed the better music students to play in the band at home games.  The director was a staff member and not a student volunteer (like VU) They probably spent a couple grand a game on the pep band + it was about 1/4 of the instructors full time job.  You get what you pay for, I guess....

JPEven

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 10, 2017, 12:49:45 PMOr play Jubril at the 4?

Jubril is a former 6 man of the year, and outside of energy no show games that go way beyond Smirolla, the team has been playing pretty well.  Of course, smirolla will see diminished minutes (especially the smits part), but I think Jubril is going to come of the bench.  I bet he gets a shade over 20 minutes  across the 3, 4 and 5.  Peters is gassed and hasn't had someone competent to back him up all year.  Especially if we can get a couple big leads, we'll see a fair amount of Jubril at the 4 (where he played exclusively his first two years and some last year) whether or not he is the starting center.