• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Re: Game #27- Oakland Friday February 17 6pm ORena ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 11, 2017, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlumStreetBum

QuoteI have to admit I really enjoyed this quote from Kampe and comparing their current run to a boxing match.

I really like Kampe, despite the, ah, character trouble with some of his players. He's definitely my favorite coach in the league. And sometimes at mid-majors you have to play the hand you're dealt as far as recruiting, so I can't even really blame him, you know? There's pressure to win everywhere.

justducky

If we can agree that none of us wants another NIT appearance then it is a short step to accept that there is near zero advantage in being the HL top seed.

There are two teams in the league who have already beaten us and two more who certainly can (with or without Jubril). So the 1 seed might face CSU, WSU and Oakland; while the 2 seed might get Detroit, GB- NKU winner and Oakland. Ho-Hum there isn't a dimes worth of difference in difficulty between either bracket. Either way we have to be playing our very best basketball and anything less will place us on the sidelines.

Big Picture------   Oakland has 2 and GB 3 more losses than we do. On paper we might still be able to lose 3 games with NO, I repeat NO significant drop in probability of HL tournament success. OK some small degree of pride is on the line and maybe some potential recruits could be watching ESPN2, but otherwise this as good a place as any to sit Jay on the bench next to the coaching staff. Why should Matt show Kampe anything new? Personally I might view another double digit loss as being no worse damageing than winning by an equal margin. Certainly Matt will want the kids to play hard but I do not expect the VU game plan to be what is developed for JLA.

covufan

I think Alec and the coaches will have this team ready for Friday.  FT's and rebounding will help us towards the finish.

Valpo  75
Oakland  69

Valpower

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 12, 2017, 05:56:02 PM
Quote from: Grizz on February 12, 2017, 05:28:50 PMYou mean like your guy who got arrested on the night before a game for MIP and yet he's still playing. Yea. I get what your saying.
My friend, hello!  You keeping an eye on Stevie Pees Publicly?  We will watch our guys...you watch yours. Good evening.
Fun fact: "O'Rena" is where Oakland plays and "orina" means "urine" in Spanish.  More fun when you think about the fact that they have bowl seating.

talksalot

This is game #27 on the schedule... we've won the last three of these (@ Clev, H to GBay and @ Milw)

semi-old timers will remember that in 1990-91 and 1991-92 game #27 was the last game of the year.   In 1992, we lost game #27 at Green Bay 69-25 to wind up at 5-11; and 1991 we lost #27 at home to Green Bay 69-64 to end the season 5-22

M

Valpo89

Quote from: M on February 13, 2017, 02:54:53 PM
We scored 25 points only!c :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes. I think Homer would tell you that was the lowest of the low points in his first five years as coach.
At that time, I think Homer would have had to go undefeated for 3-4 years in a row just to hit .500 on his VU coaching record.
Those were very good GB teams (Tony Bennett was the star), and very bad VU teams (but still entertaining, at times, with Tracy Gipson).

talksalot

it was in the Old county arena (still next to the Wretch center); we sat on 2x8s in the corner of the arena.... like the Wrigley Bleachers, without the atmosphere....yes, I was there, March 2, 1992... 5,737 people in that place.... fortunately, I can't find the box score.

zvillehaze

Quote from: talksalot on February 13, 2017, 04:14:07 PM
it was in the Old county arena (still next to the Wretch center); we sat on 2x8s in the corner of the arena.... like the Wrigley Bleachers, without the atmosphere....yes, I was there, March 2, 1992... 5,737 people in that place.... fortunately, I can't find the box score.

Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena ... right across from Lambeau Field and the original home to the Packers Hall of Fame.  I recall visiting the HOF after a shoot-around back in '83 ... sure things have changed quite a bit since then!

Valpo89

Even walk-on Jon Groll, apparently an Intramural Legend at the time, saw action in that "game."

bbtds

I listened to that game on the radio. Only 3 players made any shots--Gipson, Barker and Beesley--as Valpo hit 18.6% of their attempts. Cavanaugh 0 for 6 and Suiter 0 for 8 were the real killers. I wonder when was the last time Valpo scored only 9 points or less in a half.

vu84v2

You don't see a game in which a single player outscored the entire other team very often. But at least Valpo had a better assist-to-FG ratio than Green Bay (had to work hard to find the pony in that box score).

The Oakland game will be Lottich's first major road game against an opponent who seriously thinks they can unseat Valpo for the regular season conference title. Should be a big crowd at Oakland and their players will be pumped. I kind of expect Valpo to come out and play like they did against Alabama and Rhode Island in this one. Not the prettiest play, but efficient and tough winning basketball. Oakland will try to push the pace a little bit, but Valpo will do a good job of making it more of a half court game. Valpo 71 Oakland 67

78crusader

I dislike being the downer but I don't see us winning this game.  82-75 Oakland.  I think the conference title will come down to the final week.  We play @Wright St and @NKU, no easy task.  Oakland finishes @GB and @Milwaukee.  Jay will serve his two game suspension @Detroit and home vs Milwaukee.

Paul

agibson

Anybody going up on the fan bus?

Hopefully a noticeable Valpo presence.

SanityLost17

We make teams shoot a lot of 3 point shots.  Pretty simple really, when they make them we lose.  When they don't, we win.  Same as last year.  I suspect Oakland hits their 3's against for national tv.  They seem feed off that kind of energy. 

VU2014

Yeah this Oakland team is a really talented/athletic and underachieves at times. Going into this game is probably the least confidence I've had for our chances all year in conference play. 

Oakland is always one of those teams that gets up for the match up. Oakland is playing the 1st seed in the conference, at home, getting healthy and its on National Television.

This game is sort of 50-50 for me. If Valpo shows up motivated and with energy and we don't have one of those poor shooting nights then I think we come out with the win.

If I'm Coach Lottich I would plaster this message all over the locker-room: "NO SECOND CHANCE POINTS! WIN THE REBOUND DIFFERENTIAL!" They KILLED us the last game with second chance points on grabbing the offensive rebounds.

Valpo89

I think Oakland's problem over the years is that Kampe puts WAY too much emphasis on the Valpo game. They get up for Valpo, and if things go well in the early going then they can cruise to a win. If Valpo maintains an early lead, Oakland's players start to feel the pressure, feel the wrath of Kampe, and self destruct. They put so much energy into the Valpo game, they end up with the inevitable Valpo hangover. Without looking up statistics from the last couple years, it seems like a trend to me.

valpo64

I have heard interviews with "KIng" over the years and there is no doubt that he says the Valpo game is their biggest of the year.  He has also commented on more than one occasion that he wants to build a program like ours.

VU2014

QuoteIf Valpo maintains an early lead, Oakland's players start to feel the pressure, feel the wrath of Kampe, and self destruct.

Wrath? What wrath? Self destruct? Kampe has no idea of what you may be referring too lol  ;)

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14533539

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14809727

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 14, 2017, 11:03:55 AM
I think Oakland's problem over the years is that Kampe puts WAY too much emphasis on the Valpo game. They get up for Valpo, and if things go well in the early going then they can cruise to a win. If Valpo maintains an early lead, Oakland's players start to feel the pressure, feel the wrath of Kampe, and self destruct. They put so much energy into the Valpo game, they end up with the inevitable Valpo hangover. Without looking up statistics from the last couple years, it seems like a trend to me.

You are on to something 89.  I just looked back over the last five years and in the two games following the Valpo game Oakland is 9-7 over that time period.  This year they beat UIC by 1 then lost to Detroit. In 14-15 after beating us in overtime, they lost two in a row.  In 13-14 they beat us then then won in  overtime and then lost.  Clearly a hangover, no doubt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUOR63

We don't need to go undefeated in Michigan in February.  We need to go undefeated in Michigan in March.  This would be a great game to go out, lay the proverbial egg, get trounced and rest the starters.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 14, 2017, 01:06:44 PM
We don't need to go undefeated in Michigan in February.  We need to go undefeated in Michigan in March.  This would be a great game to go out, lay the proverbial egg, get trounced and rest the starters.

I'd prefer we trounce them, rest the starters and then go to Detroit.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer