• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Re: Game #27- Oakland Friday February 17 6pm ORena ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 11, 2017, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

I think it comes down to this.  How much have Sorolla and Smits grown in their skills and confidence since the OU game in Valpo?  We miss Jubril most vs. Oakland's attitude.

I think Sorolla can be a big upgrade since last time.  My sense is Smits will still play scared and tentative vs. this tough bunch even though his skills are improving. 

They will dog Alec relentlessly again so the two big guys have to spare his defensive energy.

justducky

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 14, 2017, 01:06:44 PMWe don't need to go undefeated in Michigan in February.  We need to go undefeated in Michigan in March. 
This is the only thing Matt should focus on. Everything else is meaningless in the big picture.

If Jubril can play I would sit Jay. If Jubril can't play I would sit Jay. Time to get this matter wrapped up so we can focus on JLA.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 14, 2017, 01:35:36 PM
I think it comes down to this.  How much have Sorolla and Smits grown in their skills and confidence since the OU game in Valpo?  We miss Jubril most vs. Oakland's attitude.

I think Sorolla can be a big upgrade since last time.  My sense is Smits will still play scared and tentative vs. this tough bunch even though his skills are improving. 

They will dog Alec relentlessly again so the two big guys have to spare his defensive energy.

Actually, J and Derrik combined for 15 points and 12 boards in the last game. Alec had his pretty normal 20 and 11.  Shane was off his average at 10 and 3.  We scored 66 which is only 9 points less than our average in conference play.  The problem was our defense, allowing 78 points when we have given up 65 on average.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

QuoteThey will dog Alec relentlessly again so the two big guys have to spare his defensive energy.

Yep we have to get ready for that intense 2 man press. No excuses this time because we all know its coming.

X-Factors:
-Sorolla and Smits winning the rebound battle and not allowing second chance buckets
-Shane and Tevonn being able to execute when the are doubling Alec. If they get going they will ease up on Alec as the game goes on.
-Ball security and avoiding turnovers when they are in the press. We look so uncomfortable last time and we didn't get our offensive sets going till half way through the shot clock.

FWalum

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 14, 2017, 01:06:44 PM
We don't need to go undefeated in Michigan in February.  We need to go undefeated in Michigan in March. 

This would be a great game to go out, lay the proverbial egg, get trounced and rest the starters.
While the first part of this statement is technically true the second part is just a horrible outcome.  As a coach the last thing I would want to do is give Oakland more confidence, than they already have, that they can beat us come tournament time. Laying an egg is the last thing I want a team to be doing  at this point in the season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2017, 10:06:33 PM
Quote from: VUOR63 on February 14, 2017, 01:06:44 PM
We don't need to go undefeated in Michigan in February.  We need to go undefeated in Michigan in March. 

This would be a great game to go out, lay the proverbial egg, get trounced and rest the starters.
While the first part of this statement is technically true the second part is just a horrible outcome.  As a coach the last thing I would want to do is give Oakland more confidence, than they already have, that they can beat us come tournament time. Laying an egg is the last thing I want a team to be doing  at this point in the season.

There's some seriously lame, Oakland-type,  maybe we should try to be 3-seed so we can avoid having to challenge ourselves when it counts kind of nonsense going on here.

VULB#62

This may not be significant, but on our last road trip to Wisconsin, we played a Thursday/Saturday combo leading off with a  weaker UWM who we beat rather handily (71-53) and then faced the tougher of the two, Green Bay, and lost (69-86).  Many felt that the team looked tired and lacked drive in that contest -- and the totally out-of-character lack of rebounding sorta confirmed that.

On this trip it is reversed. We head into this road trip facing the better of the two Detroit teams and will probably be very motivated to revenge the earlier loss.  As was pointed out, OU will see a much better two-headed 5 combination in Jay/Derrik that was not nearly as good over a month (and 11 games) ago.

I think these conditions point to a win at Oakland.  I'd worry a bit about a Saturday "let-down" match-up with Detroit, but if the kids' heads are on straight after a win on Friday and it gives them an even greater sense of confidence and purpose, then Detroit falls as well. 

Having said the above, if a two game suspension is in order for Jay, I'd sit him against Detroit and UWM.  However, I'll go out on a limb regarding a Jay suspension and say that he'll only get a 1 gamer (UWM).  The reason I say this is that, as many have speculated, while Jay was at the party (and athletes are cautioned over and over to not go to these parties), he only blew something like 0.003 (0.08 is intoxicated isn't it?) on the breathalyzer, which means he maybe had a couple of swigs is all.  Add to this that he comes from a culture that allows drinking at 16 and that he, for the first time, was handcuffed and booked by the city police  -- not only embarrassing by scary as well.  These could be mitigating circumstances that would support Matt in exacting some in-practice punishment in conjunction with, maybe, a single gamer.

Finally, if Jubril's case is closed by the NCAA in time for the OU game, Kampe will have two new variables to prepare for: (1) Improved play at the 5 and  (2) a new player [relatively speaking] to prepare for as Jubril was suspended the last time the two teams played.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 15, 2017, 08:51:56 AMif a two game suspension is in order for Jay, I'd sit him against Detroit and UWM.
I tend to agree with these two games, if the suspension comes this season.  If it were me, I might be inclined to wait until full county court finalization, and if that is after the season, sit J the exhibition games next year.

FWalum

[tweet]831981076734173192[/tweet]
[tweet]831981170913116161[/tweet]
[tweet]831983182664826881[/tweet]
Is the "situation" what I think it might be?  No mention in today's Valpo Basketball Preview....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 15, 2017, 08:51:56 AMHowever, I'll go out on a limb regarding a Jay suspension and say that he'll only get a 1 gamer (UWM).  The reason I say this is that, as many have speculated, while Jay was at the party (and athletes are cautioned over and over to not go to these parties), he only blew something like 0.003 (0.08 is intoxicated isn't it?) on the breathalyzer, which means he maybe had a couple of swigs is all.

Reported as .03. No idea how many beers that adds up to but it doesn't matter. He was charged and will have to answer to it. That is actually the larger point with any discipline. If he pleads not guilty and wins his case (the judge doesn't care how much he blew just that he blew a positive number) which would be unlikely with a breathalyzer reading, then there is no suspension. If he takes a guilty plea or goes into a diversion program to have the case dismissed, he gets two games. That has been the punishment in the past for the MBB program.

VU2014

http://wdfn.iheart.com/media/play/27666057/

Greg Kampe's coaches show. They break down the upcoming Valpo Game. Interesting listen too. I wish we had some kind of weekly coaches radio/podcast like Oakland has with Kampe. I know a lot of Coaches do this form of weekly hour show. This upcoming Oakland/Valpo game is Coach Kampe's 1000th game coached.

Paul Oren appears on the radio show. Breaks down the match up with Kampe and Oakland broadcaster Neal Ruhl. They break down the all league ballot.

VU2014

Wow I'm surprise how much Kampe actually talked about what Oakland is going to do and talked strategy.

He revealed that Oakland uses a program called Synergy Sports Technology that is basically computer program that scouts and give analytics for coaches. Valpo does a ball screens and hand offs and the analytics say Oakland one of the best teams in the country at defending that so they match up well defensively to what we like to do.

Also breaks down how Valpo doubles down in the post defensively and we have a history of that. The 2 big 7 footers allow us to beat up on Horizon League/Mid-Major teams but when we go to Kentucky it doesn't workout as well against higher level talent.

I highly encourage you guys to give it a listen. Kampe breaks down the last Valpo/Oakland game. I really appreciate how honest Kampe is about strategy and breaking down offense and defense. 99% of coaches wouldn't be as candid about breaking down games as he is. Interesting discussion.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on February 16, 2017, 09:50:10 AM99% of coaches wouldn't be as candid about breaking down games as he is.

I 100% enjoy this about Coach Kampe. Great engagement with the fan base, and opposing fan bases!

NativeCheesehead

This will be one of the first real pressure "coaching" tests for Mr. Lottich. He was thoroughly out coached both before and during the game.

VU2014

I'm really concerned about the teams emotional response to finding out the official news on the Jubril situation a few hours before the biggest game of the year on the road.

M

I agree. I hope they will continue to rally around Jubril and make a bigger statement to the league and Oakland...but I can just as easily see them showing up and going through the motions and get run out of that uglyazz gym.

SanityLost17

We will either lose by 20 or win by 20.   There will be no inbetween.  Only 2 ways to react to this sort of news.   

hailcrusaders

Slow start for both teams thus far. Normally I'd say a low scoring game favors Valpo, but I remember reading somewhere that a low scoring game favors the team with the most points  ;D
#CrusadersForever

NativeCheesehead

This team has dealt with so much, but I honestly question our desire right now. Even Alec looks like he'd rather be somewhere else tonight.

NativeCheesehead

And here comes the most important half of basketball of the year.  You come back and win and you break OUs spirit. You lose and both the regular season and tourney are in serious doubt. Let's go!   

hailcrusaders

Valpo bench is wearing black warmup t-shirts that read "Free boogie 23" which I imagine refers to Jubril. Probably had that planned before today's news broke.

As for the game, Oakland has a lot of weapons to throw at you and we need to find someone not named Peters to step up in the second half.
#CrusadersForever

M

If Shane and the other PGs let us get a few more shots up we will be fine.