• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who is on your Mount Rushmore of Valpo Basketball?

Started by smitty, February 15, 2017, 03:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty

Alec Peters, Bryce Drew, Ryan Broekhoff, and Lubos Barton

Valpo89

Bob Dille, Bruce Lindner, Bryce Drew, Alec Peters.

FWalum

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 15, 2017, 03:46:17 PMBob Dille, Bruce Lindner, Bryce Drew, Alec Peters.
Go ahead and chisel those four in stone.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Don't know Bob Dille, but my four would be Bruce Lindner, Homer Drew, Bryce Drew and Alec Peters.

vu72

Alec Peters, Bruce Lindner, Bryce Drew, Dan Oppland and--this is tough.  Could be Rowdy, could be Lubos, could be Chuck Kriston, but I'll pick.....John Wolfenberg. (Single season:3rd ppg, 2nd field goals,8th rebounds, 6th rebounds per game.  Career: 13th scoring, 9th rebounds, 3rd ppg, 3rd rebounds per game, 4th field goals all in less than 125 games.  Not sure but freshman may have not been able to play varsity in those days.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

I liked the four that got the go ahead from two others:  Diller, Lindner, Drew, and Peters.  Rowdy and Oppland were great, but not on that level. 

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 06:44:23 PM
Alec Peters, Bruce Lindner, Bryce Drew, Dan Oppland and--this is tough.  Could be Rowdy, could be Lubos, could be Chuck Kriston, but I'll pick.....John Wolfenberg. (Single season:3rd ppg, 2nd field goals,8th rebounds, 6th rebounds per game.  Career: 13th scoring, 9th rebounds, 3rd ppg, 3rd rebounds per game, 4th field goals all in less than 125 games.  Not sure but freshman may have not been able to play varsity in those days.
Pretty sure you only get to pick 4.
I'm not sure why, but when I think great VU basketball players, Dan Oppland doesn't pop into my mind.

valpolaw

It is called Homer Drew Court right???  I don't see how Homer wouldn't be one of the top 4 then.  My picks would be Homer, Bryce, Alec, and then likely Ryan Broekhoff.  I don't know the others that were before my time so I'm biased for Ryan filling the last spot. 

VU2014

QuoteIt is called Homer Drew Court right???  I don't see how Homer wouldn't be one of the top 4 then.  My picks would be Homer, Bryce, Alec, and then likely Ryan Broekhoff.  I don't know the others that were before my time so I'm biased for Ryan filling the last spot.

My guess is this was intended to be players Mt. Rushmore.

I'm a more recent fan so I can only go off of what I'm familiar with: Bryce Drew, Alec Peters are Locks in my book. The next 2 are tougher, its debatable between Rowdy, Lubos, Oppland, Ensminger, Bob Dille, and Bruce Lindner.

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 16, 2017, 08:14:37 AM
Pretty sure you only get to pick 4.
I'm not sure why, but when I think great VU basketball players, Dan Oppland doesn't pop into my mind.

I never was very good at math!   :rotfl:  Oppland is top 10 in 10 categories. Top 5 in career scoring and rebounding.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

O.P. Kretzmann. He was the university president that set the vision and course for Valparaiso to move to Division 1. His statement "a great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport" set the vision for Valparaiso to move to D1. His actions were the catalyst.

VU2014

QuoteO.P. Kretzmann. He was the university president that set the vision and course for Valparaiso to move to Division 1. His statement "a great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport" set the vision for Valparaiso to move to D1. His actions were the catalyst.

I've heard stories of Kretzmann going to parties and doing keg races on Mound Street. He sounds like he was a pretty awesome President.

But as for you 'Vision' comment, Our leadership could use some VISION right now for where they should want the program to go. I wish President Heckler and the Board would share Kretzman's thoughts on "a great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport".

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on February 16, 2017, 09:37:58 AMMy guess is this was intended to be players Mt. Rushmore.

I like the constraint of four faces. But, hey, rules were meant to be broken.

As for players vs. coaches or others. I figure, "Hey, it's your mountain!". I say use your judgment.

valpolaw

Quote from: VU2014 on February 16, 2017, 09:37:58 AMMy guess is this was intended to be players Mt. Rushmore.

You know what happens when you assume things.....

bbtds

I second the John Wolfenberg nomination.

NativeCheesehead

Chris Sparks, Mike Oppland, Phil Willie, and Jason Karys

VU2014

QuoteChris Sparks, Mike Oppland, Phil Willie, and Jason Karys

Hahaha we should make a Mt. Rushmore of Valpo Walk-ons.

Jason Karys (raining deep NBA 3's), Jon Groll (someone said he was an intramural legend), Nick Shelton, Drew Ferry (for one yr)

valpotx

Jason Hawkins would be on that walk-on list.

In order: Alec Peters, Bryce Drew, Ryan Broekhoff, Lubos Barton
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

ml2

Can anyone who was around at the time comment on Tracy Gipson and what kind of player he was? He has more career points than Ryan, Lubos or Dan Oppland, but doesn't have a single mention yet. I also see he ranks 12th in assists. Does he get passed over because the teams he played on didn't win a lot of games? Or maybe it's harder to compare a guard with a group of forwards (Peters, Broekhoff, Oppland, Barton). How does he compare with the best guards to play here the last 30 years (Drew, Wood, Stovall, Redmon, Schmidt)? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Valpo89

Tracy was awesome. He had such good numbers because he was basically the only scoring option until he was joined by Schmidt and Redmon his senior year. He had no quality big guys during his time on the team. He is only 5-10 and could jump out of the gym. He is from Michigan City Rogers High School.  It was a big deal when he broke Lindner's scoring record.

After VU, Tracy kind of disappeared. I think he went to California and I can't say if he's ever come back to VU for anything, even his Hall of Fame induction (I think he's in).

humbleopinion

I have a picture in my mind of Tracy driving, stopping, and then popping into the sky to release a ten foot jumper.  He was incredibly quick and could get into the air.
Beamin' Beacons

valpo84

Tracy was a scorer! He had an outside shot and could attack inside as 89 pointed out.  He was THE scoring option and THE reason to watch Valpo hoops during some pretty bleak years.  A short post VU bio below, looks like he is coaching a little bit!

http://www.topflightelite.com/tracy-gipson

His father played at IU: http://indylb-2135524474.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/newsroom/production/sports/standing/iu_db_presto/?xt=5&xd=Gipson  That last team 70-71 had McGinnis and Joby Wright.  Tracy would not be the last son of an IU player to go to Valpo....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUfan

"O.P. Kretzmann. He was the university president that set the vision and course for Valparaiso to move to Division 1. His statement "a great university needs to be nationally recognized in at least one sport" set the vision for Valparaiso to move to D1. His actions were the catalyst." Why not they tried to make him a Saint in Valpo, haven't you noticed all those ST O.P. signs at each corner!!!!!   ::)