• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #28- Detroit Sunday February 19 1pm Calihan Hall ESPN3

Started by VU2014, February 19, 2017, 12:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Everyone still seems concerned about the Oakland loss that we forgot to create a Detroit thread.

We need to finish out the season strong and take care of business.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2017, 12:17:05 PM
Everyone still seems concerned about the Oakland loss that we forgot to create a Detroit thread.

Can't get audio for the radio broadcast....anyone else?  I'm driving on a work trip and that was my only high light this afternoon dang it!!!

humbleopinion

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 19, 2017, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2017, 12:17:05 PM

Can't get audio for the radio broadcast....anyone else?  I'm driving on a work trip and that was my only high light this afternoon dang it!!!

Audio seems to be down.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

QuoteCan't get audio for the radio broadcast....anyone else?  I'm driving on a work trip and that was my only high light this afternoon dang it!!!

If you have a smart phone you can down load the watch espn app and if your cable provider is Xfinity or AT&T, and some others you can stream it from you phone and just listen the broadcast that way.

VU2014

Can someone tell Derrik that he's 7'2"? Use your height and stay in position.

VU2014

That Micah Bradford shot at the end of the half was awesome! To bad that didn't count. Would be SportsCenter Top10

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2017, 01:26:13 PM
QuoteCan't get audio for the radio broadcast....anyone else?  I'm driving on a work trip and that was my only high light this afternoon dang it!!!

If you have a smart phone you can down load the watch espn app and if your cable provider is Xfinity or AT&T, and some others you can stream it from you phone and just listen the broadcast that way.

Driving highway 10 in New Orleans made it tough to do the login, but agreed.  The NBA all star game is apparebtiy here as well while I'm at a trade show next to the arena.  Maybe one day we'll get a VU guy here.  Has GORDON Hayward made it during his years?

ValpoHoops

Quote from: VU2014 on February 19, 2017, 02:07:22 PM
That Micah Bradford shot at the end of the half was awesome! To bad that didn't count. Would be SportsCenter Top10

Shot is currently featured on espn.com front page...at least of the mobile site.

vu72

I'm glad Matt went back to starting the five best at their positions.  Bradford is showing signs of improvement (4 asssists only 1 turnover today).  Still, I thought he was  supposed to be a "scorer"?  Now shooting 27% from the 3 and 58% for free throws.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

To today's TV broadcast team who whined that Matt put Alec back in so he could get his points, Alec played a grand total of 26 minutes. Can't get much more benevolent than that.

a3uge

This conference season has been really boring. I believe we've yet to see a 1 possession game in the final 2 minutes.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2017, 05:15:37 PM
To today's TV broadcast team who whined that Matt put Alec back in so he could get his points, Alec played a grand total of 26 minutes. Can't get much more benevolent than that.

With the exception of that short interchange, I thought that the Detroit commentators throughout the game were actually very complimentary towards the Valpo MBB program, Alec and our height  (they said a lot about our height)  ;D  I've heard out and out homers and these guys were quite balanced in their coverage - and they maintained a pretty professional level of dialogue -- i.e., they didn't go screaming if a call went against Detroit or make excuses for Detroit when they screwed up (except saying that what you get when you area as young as these kids -- a truism.). 

valpotx

Yeah, that Tevonn foul last game was a joke.  It was all a natural reaction to a guy almost falling on him, and not moving his other foot away in time before he did actually land a little on him.  Also a joke that they didn't have someone take our FTs that he earned, and I don't see any explanation given on why we didn't get those from the league or anyone else.

Good win today, and still favor us to win the regular season and conference tournament.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

It was an "ESPN3 exclusive", according to the Valpo schedule page. Have a feeling that means ESPN assigns announcers.

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2017, 06:10:06 PM

With the exception of that short interchange, I thought that the Detroit commentators throughout the game were actually very complimentary towards the Valpo MBB program, Alec and our height  (they said a lot about our height)  ;D  I've heard out and out homers and these guys were quite balanced in their coverage - and they maintained a pretty professional level of dialogue -- i.e., they didn't go screaming if a call went against Detroit or make excuses for Detroit when they screwed up (except saying that what you get when you area as young as these kids -- a truism.).

valpotx

That would make sense.  The announcers were definitely down the middle, and I kept wondering why they were complimenting us so much.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2017, 06:10:06 PM

Truth be told, I only got to watch the last 10 or 12 minutes. Until then I had to follow on game tracker. Glad to hear they were fair on balance.

talksalot

I'm sorry for not getting this thread up after that Grizzlie game ... I was enroute to Michigan on a family thing :)   Did get to the UdM game, Emphasis on the Mercy part when we got up by 27 and coasted.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2017, 06:43:33 PM
That would make sense.  The announcers were definitely down the middle, and I kept wondering why they were complimenting us so much.
Andy Masur is a Chicago area guy, who used to do sports at WGN radio.
Tim Doyle played guard for Northwestern.
Hence the love for Valpo.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2017, 06:11:15 PMAlso a joke that they didn't have someone take our FTs that he earned, and I don't see any explanation given on why we didn't get those from the league or anyone else.

I wondered about this too. Very odd that they didn't even discuss it.

Did the technical foul somehow cancel the FT's? Or is no one else allowed to take them?

oklahomamick

Quote from: agibson on February 24, 2017, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2017, 06:11:15 PMAlso a joke that they didn't have someone take our FTs that he earned, and I don't see any explanation given on why we didn't get those from the league or anyone else.
I wondered about this too. Very odd that they didn't even discuss it. Did the technical foul somehow cancel the FT's? Or is no one else allowed to take them?

The explanation is that he was not in the act of shooting.  It was on the floor not a shooting foul. 

Shows just how bad the refs were.   
CRUSADERS!!!

zvillehaze

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 24, 2017, 09:41:53 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 24, 2017, 09:10:02 AM
I wondered about this too. Very odd that they didn't even discuss it. Did the technical foul somehow cancel the FT's? Or is no one else allowed to take them?

The explanation is that he was not in the act of shooting.  It was on the floor not a shooting foul. 

Shows just how bad the refs were.   

Correct.  Wymer raised his fist to signal the foul, but didn't display 2 fingers to indicate it was in the act of shooting.  He either thought a.) Walker was tripped on the drive, or b.) Walker was attempting a pass, not a shot. 

valpotx

Wow, that is terrible!  He was definitely in the middle of a shooting act...
"Don't mess with Texas"