• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29- Milwaukee Tuesday February 21 7pm ARC ESPN3

Started by talksalot, February 19, 2017, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 21, 2017, 08:49:07 PM
Quote from: valporun on February 21, 2017, 08:39:15 PM
Todd just said the Valpo Sports Radio Network WILL AIR the senior speeches in post game.

We could REALLY invest in a more quality sound product for our radio broadcast.  It's a joke trying to strain to hear it half the time.
I've been complaining about this years!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: a3uge on February 21, 2017, 08:53:03 PMRemember when Valpo played a kind of crappy senior night vs YSU during Broekhoff's last season?

I believe we were down at half and had to come up with a dominant 2nd half to pull out the W. Lost senior night in '14 as well but that was our "down" year and against a 2nd place Cleveland State team. 
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

It was nice to see a close game for once, I just wish it was against a better team.
#CrusadersForever

valpospartan

Quote from: a3uge on February 21, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 21, 2017, 08:49:07 PM
Quote from: valporun on February 21, 2017, 08:39:15 PM
Todd just said the Valpo Sports Radio Network WILL AIR the senior speeches in post game.

We could REALLY invest in a more quality sound product for our radio broadcast.  It's a joke trying to strain to hear it half the time.
I've been complaining about this years!
So have I.  During the game we can hear only half of what John says.

vusupporter

Third game in five days for Valpo, including a 4-hour bus ride back following Sunday's game. Meanwhile, Milwaukee hosted Green Bay on Saturday and hadn't played since the previous Saturday.

crusadermoe

I couldn't listen to Senior Night.  Any notable remarks from Jubril or others?

crusader05

Lottich was pretty emotional regarding Jubril. Praising him for his outstanding leadership and ability to  manage the stress.  Definitely seems like Jubril is the heart of the team which explains why his full suspension has taken the air out of the team. Alec spoke about coming back to play at Valpo and how hard the team will work to get to the NCAA tournament cause the fans deserve it.

I kinda feel bad for Lottich. First year as head coach and you have this giant moral killer and it apparently happens to the de facto leader of the team for what should be the capstone year for your star player. All things considered I think this team has rallied well, despite the last two games. Plus our two big guys have gotten way more experience then we expected from them and they are both in their first year of eligibility. Micah has also got minutes and showed great ability even with inconsistency.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on February 21, 2017, 08:15:01 PM
What is going on? The guys just look content tonight. We need to step on the gas pedal and kill this Milwaukee teams confidence.

Valpo plays to the level of our competition sometimes... We are always going to get the best effort from the bottom feeder teams.

(speak of the devil as I'm typing this out we're showing a little more effort)

I think it's very easy to label a team a poor team when they have several poor performances. What we fail to see is that this Milwaukee has many talented players. They went to OT with Oakland and Detroit on the road. If not for 3 missed free throws would have beaten both of them.

QuoteQuote from: bbtds on January 25, 2017, 10:39:06 AM

January 27, Friday

Milwaukee                  73
Detroit                       69  OT                                7:00 p.m./6:00 p.m.

January 29, Sunday

Milwaukee                  70
Oakland                     79    OT                           1:00 p.m./12:00 p.m.

Milwaukee having their second overtime game in 3 days had to really hurt their chances of upsetting the slumping Grizzlies. The Panthers' Wichman missed 3 straight FT's with 5.5 seconds left with any one of those misses being a made FT would have won Milwaukee the game.

It's easier to think that Valpo is playing to Milwaukee's level when what I saw was that Milwaukee has truly stepped up their game (I saw them play the Crusaders in Milwaukee) and played more to Valpo's level. Yes, Valpo could have played to a higher level and blew out the Panthers but what I saw is much improvement from Milwaukee (especially the long range shooting of Brock Stull) that challenged a "good/not great" Valpo showing.

a3uge

Quote from: crusader05 on February 22, 2017, 07:00:22 AM
Lottich was pretty emotional regarding Jubril. Praising him for his outstanding leadership and ability to  manage the stress.  Definitely seems like Jubril is the heart of the team which explains why his full suspension has taken the air out of the team. Alec spoke about coming back to play at Valpo and how hard the team will work to get to the NCAA tournament cause the fans deserve it.

I kinda feel bad for Lottich. First year as head coach and you have this giant moral killer and it apparently happens to the de facto leader of the team for what should be the capstone year for your star player. All things considered I think this team has rallied well, despite the last two games. Plus our two big guys have gotten way more experience then we expected from them and they are both in their first year of eligibility. Micah has also got minutes and showed great ability even with inconsistency.

I get your overall point, but for the record, Valpo DID play Detroit in between Oakland and Milwaukee and had scrubs in with like 5 minutes left.

It's easier to think that Valpo is playing to Milwaukee's level when what I saw was that Milwaukee has truly stepped up their game (I saw them play the Crusaders in Milwaukee) and played more to Valpo's level. Yes, Valpo could have played to a higher level and blew out the Panthers but what I saw is much improvement from Milwaukee (especially the long range shooting of Brock Stull) that challenged a "good/not great" Valpo showing.

You're on to something - I thought Milwaukee played pretty well at times. They were draining some deep threes, shot clock buzzer beaters, and smooth floaters, while Valpo was missing open looks and commiting stupid fouls. Valpo's defense really kicked in gear at the end, and I didn't ever think Milwaukee had a chance to actually win.

crusaderjoe

I kinda feel bad for Lottich.

Agree with you, and so do I.  He's the guy who had to take over the reigns of the Drew dynasty, as if that isn't enough pressure to begin with.  Then he gets hit with the Skara situation shortly thereafter.  Then comes the Keith Carter denial.  Then comes the NCAA investigation and the JA suspension.  That's a hell of a lot of drama for a first year head coach.  I think he's handled it extraordinarily well all things considered.

One thing though.  I hope Lottich puts the breaks on the JA team protest/statement/movement moving forward.  The black tees need to be packed away.  Alec needs to go back to #25.  The team has made their point.  Enough.  It's over.  Life isn't fair.  Time to get back to putting the entire focus on getting to the NCAA tournament. If we care about the #1 seed, the post season essentially starts this weekend.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 22, 2017, 08:48:25 AM
I kinda feel bad for Lottich.

Agree with you, and so do I.  He's the guy who had to take over the reigns of the Drew dynasty, as if that isn't enough pressure to begin with.  Then he gets hit with the Skara situation shortly thereafter.  Then comes the Keith Carter denial.  Then comes the NCAA investigation and the JA suspension.  That's a hell of a lot of drama for a first year head coach.  I think he's handled it extraordinarily well all things considered.

One thing though.  I hope Lottich puts the breaks on the JA team protest/statement/movement moving forward.  The black tees need to be packed away.  Alec needs to go back to #25.  The team has made their point.  Enough.  It's over.  Life isn't fair.  Time to get back to putting the entire focus on getting to the NCAA tournament. If we care about the #1 seed, the post season essentially starts this weekend.

I agree with you CrusaderJoe, a lot of distractions for a first time first year HC.  But that's the real world as you put it, we all have these distractions and pitfalls in our jobs.

I'm still torn on the Skara situation....THIS IS THE WAY AAU AND NCAAM BBALL IS, why fight up hill both ways?  The Drews weren't perfect clearly, they had their pipeline...

oklahomamick

My opinion on the Skara situation is that it could have been avoided.  Matt has the right to choose his staff.  However, I see nothing wrong adding an alumni to the staff that could help recruit Europe and Skara would have stayed. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

I don't understand why they guarded 13 so close. The guy wouldn't take the shot if he was the only one in the gym. Chasing him left Stull open for several of his 3s.

Happy with a win, happy with a win when challenged. Let's wrap up the (not so) important 1 seed this weekend!!

talksalot

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2017, 09:30:21 AMWhy wasn't there a press conference?

There was one.  The crew that usually tapes it was in the Arena taping the senior speeches and by the time they had all of their cables and cameras set, the conference was ending.  So, they asked ML for a quote in the hallway.

I'm told they had not intended to do a press conference but it happened.

PS.  Kenny Harris sighting at the game... glad to see he's doing well.

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on February 22, 2017, 10:51:59 AMPS.  Kenny Harris sighting at the game... glad to see he's doing well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 22, 2017, 08:48:25 AM

Well said. It's not unlike losing coworkers due to downsizing. There's a time to mourn, but it becomes self-destructive to remain in that emotional state too long. 

The entire team needs to pick up the pieces and move on, or risk bringing the whole ship down. It's Matt's job to lead the way.

frontrowfan

Totally disagree.  Just because you are over it doesn't mean that those guys are.   I say wear it until the season is over. 

M

Pretty certain AP said he's going with 23 til the season is over. I just want him to get back to rebounding like 25.

valpo64

Will there be a video tape of the post-game speeches, etc. available ?

bbtds

Quote from: M on February 22, 2017, 01:55:41 PM
Pretty certain AP said he's going with 23 til the season is over. I just want him to get back to rebounding like 25.

Alec needs to get back to rebounding for sure. Valpo only won the rebounding battle by 2, 27-25. If Milwaukee had shot the few FT's they did take more consistently (4 for 9) that game would have been dangerously close. Valpo shot 9 for 12 from the FT line so it was an improvement over the Detroit game.

Both teams shot 51% from the field but Brock Stull's 3-point shooting made a huge difference as the Panthers shot 38.9% from three with Stull, a freshman from Rockford Boylan, going 6 for 7 from three for 86%. Valpo shot 31.6% from three with Alec going 4 for 9 from three.

VUfan

Valpo has the Best record in the league, the best talent, best rebounders and defensive players, time to get to work and wrap this thing Friday. Time to show that they can over come adversity      :thumbsup:

talksalot

We can't wrap it up on Friday...  Best we can do on Friday is clinch "no worse than a tie" for first place in the regular season (aka banner-time), unless Green Bay does us a favor.   Have I told you how much I like the Green Bay team in the Resch Center?

but you're right... we need to win... that OAK-GB games starts 30-minutes before we do. ...

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on February 22, 2017, 04:15:36 PM
We can't wrap it up on Friday...  Best we can do on Friday is clinch "no worse than a tie" for first place in the regular season (aka banner-time), unless Green Bay does us a favor.   Have I told you how much I like the Green Bay team in the Resch Center?

but you're right... we need to win... that OAK-GB games starts 30-minutes before we do. ...

So does a win ensure a NIT bid?

wh

Quote from: frontrowfan on February 22, 2017, 01:30:11 PM
Totally disagree.  Just because you are over it doesn't mean that those guys are.  I say wear it until the season is over. 

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see they're not "wearing it" well.  Last night's win was another lackluster performance, at best. When the end of this year's story is written, it is not going to be about what happened to Jubril, or how bad the players felt, or how many "23's" they wore. Those are just events along the way. The "story" will either be about the adversity the team dealt with and overcame to reach their goals --or-- how they allowed adversity to destroy everything they had worked for. Right now, I see a team that's staggering to the finishing line at the very moment we need to be playing our best basketball of the year.