• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

All due respect, Paul, but if we reviewed your HS stats, would we have projected "successful lawyer" from them, even after you verbally committed to VU? ;)

I suppose this means the Lithuanian (Rokas Ulvydas) is off the table...did you think we'd have "too many forwards" a couple months ago?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

...and just like that, 2015 class is full.*  Who'd'a thunk it just a couple weeks ago?

*barring of course decommitments and/or transfers.  you are always recruiting, surely.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

The curve shaped by the CDC's available statistics, however, does allow one to estimate the number of American men between the ages of 20 and 40 who are 7 feet or taller: fewer than 70 in all. Which indicates, by further extrapolation, that while the probability of, say, an American between 6'6″ and 6'8″ being an NBA player today stands at a mere 0.07%, it's a staggering 17% for someone 7 feet or taller. - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/05/what-percentage-of-7-footers-are-in-the-nba.html#sthash.Gm7agZ08.dpuf

If there are 70 7-footers in the US over a 20 year age range, that might suggest that there are only 14 between the ages of 18 and 22. The only reason 1 of them landed at a little school in NWI is because he is not yet fully developed as a basketball player. IF that were to occur in the next year or 2, he could well become one of the best players in Valpo basketball history. Even if he's just "good," he will be of great benefit. Last, but not least, he's a 4-year player. When was the last time we had a 4-year, 7-footer?  The potential benefit to The future of Valpo basketball should have every Valpo fan excited.

valpotx

Antti Nikkila was the last 4 year player at that height, as far as what we listed him at.  He has been listed as 6'11" on his pro teams
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Yes, at the moment I have too much time on my hands.  Having said that, I just went through the composite rankings for Derrik's class.  He is ranked 184 in the class.  Of 6'10, 6'11 or 7' and taller players, 6 are five star recruits.  Of players not rated a five star, 9 are rated higher than Derrik. So of the top 184 players, 15 players in his size group are rated higher, 9 at 6'10", 4 at 6'11" and 2 at 7' or taller.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on October 15, 2014, 11:27:39 AMI think we need to remeber that the stats you mentioned were from their JUNIOR year in high school.  Derrik in particular is still growing into his body.  This season will be a much better way to evaluate where they are at maturity wise.  I'm guessing both will add weight and much more as they matriculate to Valpo.  These are centers, not point guards.

Hard to compare these guys to someone like Deshaun Thomas who was a 6'7" man-child in 9th grade and then never grew another inch.  Really tough to develop certain skills when your body is morphing so dramatically.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 15, 2014, 11:27:39 AMI think we need to remeber that the stats you mentioned were from their JUNIOR year in high school.  Derrik in particular is still growing into his body.  This season will be a much better way to evaluate where they are at maturity wise.  I'm guessing both will add weight and much more as they matriculate to Valpo.  These are centers, not point guards.
Thinking backwards-- had Adelsperger committed in July to us instead of Belmont would any of us be talking about either of these two? I am optimistic that maybe someday we could actually owe Seth a word of gracious thanks.   :)

valpo84

Another swimmer who started playing bball in HS and had a pretty decent college and pro career -- Tim Duncan, Mr Fundamental.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on October 15, 2014, 04:00:45 PM
Thinking backwards-- had Adelsperger committed in July to us instead of Belmont would any of us be talking about either of these two? I am optimistic that maybe someday we could actually owe Seth a word of gracious thanks.   :)

I don't know a darn thing about the 2 big guys we just picked up.  However, I saw Adelsperger play a couple of times and I was not at all impressed with him.  Perhaps he is somebody who will make great strides at Belmont as he adjusts from his high school growth spurt, but based on what I saw, he will struggle against D1 competition.

It will be interesting to compare stats here in a few years to see how things worked out for us/Belmont.         

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on October 15, 2014, 10:43:02 AM
FIVE ppg for this guy?

Smits with 3-4 RPG?

Their height is impressive.  Stats, not so much. 

Paul
I always remember former Utah Jazz coach Frank Layden when asked about impressive height: "Can't coach 7' 0"", or for that matter 6' 9"!

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/10/this-is-the-average-mans-body/280194/

interesting except perhaps strikes too close to home.  posted here because we need to continue to recruit the DUTCH:

QuoteGeorge Maat, a professor emeritus of anthropology at Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands, has said that within another 50 years, the Dutch Todd could be six-foot-three. Several years ago the Netherlands was compelled to increase building code standards for door frames.

(Let's hire KVW to be our Vujic asst/recruiter when his playing days are done)

vu72

I did a little more digging on Daniel Relvao and found some encouraging numbers.  In the 2014 U-18 European Championships, he was a significant contributor to the Portugal team.  Over 9 games he averaged 21 minutes and shot 52.5% from the floor and 66.7% from the line.  He averaged 5.2 Rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 8.2 points while comitting 3 fouls on average.  Not too bad for a guy who has been playing basketball for only a couple of years.

He could be a real steal as could Smits.  It will be interesting to watch their stats as the year progresses.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

From Mountain Mission's twitter page:

Mtn. Mission Hoops
‏@mmshoops1921
2015 Daniel Relvao with 15pts, 8rbs, 2as, 5blks in our 52:42 win over The Rock!
5:38 PM - 22 Nov 2014

I see Mountain Mission plays a prep school schedule against some very good schools including powerhouse Oak Hill Academy.  I think its also noteworthy that a guy with only 2 years of basketball experience can put up numbers like this at this stage of his development. It will be interesting to check in on Daniel from time to time. 

Twitter http://twitter.com/mmshoops1921

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mmshoops1921

FWalum

Don't think I had seen this posted.  Here is last years highlight video for Daniel. www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKnPlQawhU8
They also have someone who does video highlights of a number of their games.  Here is a recent outing. www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGgE2wy3kE
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

http://www.team1sports.com/index.php/videoPlayer/view?broadcast=93650

The Zionsville at Carmel game is on TV 40 WHMB tonight. Carmel is up by 7 points in the 2nd quarter. Sorry, I had missed it earlier.

wh

Zionsville lost 51-37.  Derrik had 19 points, including 16 in the 2nd half.  A very good opening night performance by Derrik against the 3rd ranked team in the state.

valpopal

valpopal

I know we are all keeping an eye on the high school games of Derrik Smits, but here is an update on our other recruit, 6' 9" 240 lb. Daniel Relvao. Relvao may be one of those "projects" who surprise with significant development following arrival at Valpo. From what I have seen on video, I like his footwork, his inside strength, and his medium range shot. After 16 games, Relvao's per game averages: 7 pts. 5 rebs. 50% FG 70% FT

valpotx

If he can only turn out like another swimmer turned basketball player later in his teens, Tim Duncan :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Here is a full game of Mountain Mission (Daniel Relvao's school).  I like what I see of him.  A soft touch to 15 feet, good screener, good free throw shooter, good, straight up shot blocker and very good hands.  What we need to remember is Daniel is NOT growing into his body as could be the case with Derrik.  Daniel is a legit 6'9" 240# with a 7'3" wingspan. He just needs some coaching and MUCH better guard play!

vs Hagrave Military (Toyota Classic) on Vimeo

wh

Next year's group of "monster-sized" forwards and centers:

Derrik Smits             7-0, 230 lbs
Alec Peters               6-9, 225
Daniel Relvao           6-9, 240
David Skara             6-8, 215
E.V. Nickerson          6-8, 180
Jubril Adekoya          6-7, 230
Shane Hammink       6-7, 210
C. Livingston-Simon  6-7, 220

LaPorteAveApostle

<jump cut to John Becher, shaking head in disbelief>

bbtds

I noticed some things about that video of the full game with Daniel Relvao. Mountain Mission was playing this game in Georgetown, KY (Scott County HS) which is just north of Lexington, KY. It's a 200 mile drive from the mountains of Virginia to Georgetown, KY and takes well over 3 hours on those mountain highways. That is quite a drive and a major commitment to basketball by the school. The HS that Mountain Mission was playing in the Toyota Classic was Hargrave Military. The fact that Scott County was not playing in this game is why there are not many fans at the game. Actually Hargrave Military is in Virginia also.

That same Scott County HS of Georgetown, KY played Zionsville and Derrik Smits on Jan. 10th and the Eagles beat the Cardinals of SCHS in New Castle, IN 56-48. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/scott-county-cardinals-%28georgetown,ky%29/basketball/schedule.htm

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs381.htm

valpotx

I believe that Hargrave is where Chadwick went, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: wh on January 19, 2015, 07:52:26 PM
Next year's group of "monster-sized" forwards and centers:

Derrik Smits             7-0, 230 lbs
Alec Peters               6-9, 225
Daniel Relvao           6-9, 240
David Skara             6-8, 215
E.V. Nickerson          6-8, 180
Jubril Adekoya          6-7, 230
Shane Hammink       6-7, 210
C. Livingston-Simon  6-7, 220

It's noteworthy that 7 of these 8 will be returning for the 2016-17 season, along with Lexus, Tevonn, Nick and Max. As hard as it is to imagine, we should definitely perform at at a higher level next year and even higher the year following.  We have the potential to be a national mid-major power.