• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Team

Started by IndyValpo, November 15, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 09, 2014, 03:02:32 PM
Here are next year's recruits....only our crack staff can make an announcement with no indication of size or points scored last year. My favorite comment:

Coach Dorow on Schofield: "Allison is a knock-down three-point shooter. Nobody gets up more shots than her. She's used to winning, she's a fiery competitor, and epitomizes a team player. Allison committed early because she loves Valpo."

Based on this comment I would assume she must have averaged 20-25 points per game.  Unfortunately, I think it was somewhere around 6. Doesn't mean she isn't good as Heritage has 6-7 D1 potential players. Still the comment implies a scorer.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2014-15/14188/crusader-women-sign-four-to-nli/#.VIdh_bl0y2w

Looks more like 15.  At 5'10" she could be a tough matchup for some.

http://www.ncsasports.org/womens-basketball-recruiting/in/indianapolis/heritage-christian-school/allison-schofield
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Looks like we aren't adding much height.  Marburger is a SF and listed at 5'10.  The aforementioned Schofield is a 5'10" guard and Maredith Hamlet is a 5'8" guard as well.  The "star" msy be Hannah Schaub, who is only 5'5" but ESPN has her as a three star, rated an 88 and the 93rdbest at her position nationally.  We better hope for some great shooters who seldom miss.  If they do, who will rebound??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on December 09, 2014, 01:22:42 PM
I take the rebound numbers by position with a grain of salt when the past two games have been 3 point shooting fests. Longer shots lead to longer rebounds hence why the guards are grabbing about the same amount of rebounds as our posts are. And overall the
rebound numbers were skewed from the Tulsa game because we missed more shots than they did. They only had one more offense rebound (11) than us (10) which lead to only 4 second chance points from them. I'll take that any day of the week. Also, when a girl from Tulsa comes in having scored a total of 14 points all year and puts up 16, that's something you cannot prepare for.

As far as my execution comment, that includes rotation on defense. The girls have to be able to get out to the shooters and were continually caught too far in help side and were not able to recover. And regarding players slashing into the lane, not every offense is suited for that. This team's isn't, same goes for our men's team. In our women's offense a random player making a cut will either add a defender to the lane to clog it up for our posts or will hinder a guard making a move towards the lane off of the ball screen.
[/quote

Unfortunately the coaching staff takes the rebounding stats, apparently as you do, with a grain of salt. Are you watching the SD game? First half - down by 20 - 1.5 min. To go - we need points bad - our two leading scorers are on the bench - neither in foul trouble. Alright then. Granted, we have players that didn't come to play, but we also have some that did. Not fair to put all the blame on the players as you seem to do.

valpotx

I'm just happy that the turnovers have been reduced quite a bit over the last few games.  Our shooting has been poor, which can happen, but we are at least getting more shots up now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2014, 03:32:49 PMLooks more like 15.  At 5'10" she could be a tough matchup for some.

I did a little more research and the 15 must be her AAU stats because the IHSAA program from last year's finals showed 8.9 points per game. Either way the comment 'Nobody gets up more shots than her" is bizarre.

As much as I detest Butler here is how a release should be made on incoming recruits:

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2014-15/releases/20141113n8ywu9

Simple.... name, school, height and somewhere a reference to statistics from prior year.  Then the coach-speak.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2014, 03:32:49 PMLooks more like 15.  At 5'10" she could be a tough matchup for some.

I did a little more research and the 15 must be her AAU stats because the IHSAA program from last year's finals showed 8.9 points per game. Either way the comment 'Nobody gets up more shots than her" is bizarre.

As much as I detest Butler here is how a release should be made on incoming recruits:

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2014-15/releases/20141113n8ywu9

Simple.... name, school, height and somewhere a reference to statistics from prior year.  Then the coach-speak.

Indy, Bedford (maybe the Damon Bailey influence), Evansville and South Bend...........hmmmmmmm.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PMAs much as I detest Butler here is how a release should be made on incoming recruits:http://www.butlersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/2014-15/releases/20141113n8ywu9Simple.... name, school, height and somewhere a reference to statistics from prior year.  Then the coach-speak.
Agreed, better write-up from that school down in Indy.

When I saw the other day that Butler had signed a top player, I was wondering how, especially with all of problems Butler has had with the women's team the last few years. 

From what I can tell, the coach for Butler, Kurt Godlevske, was a girls HS coach at Bedford North Lawrence just two years ago.  His assistant was one Damon Bailey.  Godlevske became an assistant at Butler in May of 2013, then Head Coach in May of 2014.  Damon is now one of his assistants.  I'm guessing that incoming recruit Alexa Bailey, also from Bedford, is Damon's daughter. 

In a short time, Godlevske is doing a good job with in-state recruiting.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PMI did a little more research and the 15 must be her AAU stats
i thought the 15 must be her AGE stats
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jack

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 10, 2014, 05:00:47 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PMI did a little more research and the 15 must be her AAU stats
i thought the 15 must be her AGE stats

Typically a player has better high school stats than AAU stats as they are playing with better talent and aren't needed to be the workhorse like they are in high school. Just saying.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on December 11, 2014, 07:27:13 AMTypically a player has better high school stats than AAU stats as they are playing with better talent and aren't needed to be the workhorse like they are in high school. Just saying.

In her defense, Heritage Christian is probably better than most AAU teams in Indiana.

LaPorteAveApostle

'72, clear it up for us, please:  were you saying she looked 15?  that's how I took it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 11, 2014, 09:20:30 AM
'72, clear it up for us, please:  were you saying she looked 15?  that's how I took it.

Why doesn't that surprise me!  She looks 14 but averaged (per an article in a newspaper--don't ask me which one at this point!) 15 points per completed basketball game played on a regulation size high school court.  Better??   ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

valpo4life

43-19 Illinois at the half. Yikes. Here's to hoping the two PG's coming in next year being an upgrade athletically on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

valpo4life

I will say after Illinois' 18-0 run to start the game with a barrage of 3's and Valpo turnovers, it has been fairly competitive.

valpotx

It doesn't matter, but we won the second half 39-37 in this 80-58 loss.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on December 13, 2014, 02:18:29 PM
43-19 Illinois at the half. Yikes. Here's to hoping the two PG's coming in next year being an upgrade athletically on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Not a fair assessment. I felt our starting PG played as well as she could given the apponent. The many of the Turn overs credited to her were in fact passes not handled by her teammates.
This game may have been a closer contest if we didn't have players out with injuries and if all who participated came to play. Taller more active PGs wouldn't have won this one. We won the second half vs their starters. That showed a ton of grit.

valpo4life

Quote from: jack on December 14, 2014, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: valpo4life on December 13, 2014, 02:18:29 PM

Not a fair assessment. I felt our starting PG played as well as she could given the apponent. The many of the Turn overs credited to her were in fact passes not handled by her teammates.
This game may have been a closer contest if we didn't have players out with injuries and if all who participated came to play. Taller more active PGs wouldn't have won this one. We won the second half vs their starters. That showed a ton of grit.

I do think Carr kind of gets a raw deal having to run the point when she is a set shot 3 point shooter. But my reasoning for hoping for an upgrade next year is because our guards do not handle pressure very well when they have the ball and aren't quick enough to put any pressure on the other team. Guard play is where the team needs to improve as the bigs are holding their own and improving game by game.

jack

I think our guards are about as fast as any we face to be honest. I also think one on one, they do a decent job with the ball while being pressured, and apply decent pressure on the defensive end. The fact that we don't get out on the shooters is more about the defense we run, and not the speed. The issues we have with the press, in my opinion, are because our outlet receivers always seem to be out of position to receive the ball. Watch this aspect the next contest where a team chooses to press. You can't be successful in breaking a press if you don't have an outlet in position. 

valpo4life

We don't even have a problem with the press. Pass it back and forth a couple times between the guards then hit somebody flashing up the sideline or in the middle. The problem is when we're pressured in the half court. The offense gets pushed out too far and the entry passes are from further away than you would want because of the other teams pressure. Teams average 6 fewer turnovers and 5 more steals a game, those numbers should tell you that being "decent" isn't getting anything done at the moment.

I wish we didn't go under ball screens, but I also don't know if we're capable of going over them and being able to stick with the guard. We just try and pack it in and hope that the other team doesn't go off from 3, which they all have lately. 

valpopal

[tweet]544595963055448065[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on December 15, 2014, 02:57:38 PM
[tweet]544595963055448065[/tweet]
Also leading scorer, and within 1 rebound of tying for leading rebounds, but still isn't starting. 

FWalum

Freshman of the week Interview: Dani Franklin Interview: Dani Franklin on Vimeo
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

jack

Congrats to Franklin. She seems to be getting better and stronger with each game. It's tough to take a loss like we did in Edwardsville with the game she and Carr had. They needed a little more help from the others to get this one. Hopefully with this break we can get some others healthy and get ready for league play.
Merry Christmas to all.

valpo4life

In honor of us putting up 109 last night. Figured I'd share the incoming recruit Meredith Hamlet put up 48 points in her last game a couple days ago. Offense! Lol.