• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Season Ticket Holder Event

Started by Chairback, October 22, 2014, 09:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

Just got back from the season ticket holder event.  The university did a nice job recognizing the season ticket holders and it was a nice event.  Also the players we have a nice kids.  All seemed to have their heads on straight.

I'm a little worried about this years team.  For the first time in a long time I'm buying into the "we are young" theory.  Last year we had plenty of seniors and used the excuse, this year I think it's reality.  If we finish 4th it will be a good season.   We will be lacking scoring this year.

Interesting comment from ML about trying to schedule Butler for a home game.  He said they simply will not play here and we have asked many times.

Speaker system is still lacking....

My assessment from watching the players:

Keith Carter- Looked smooth but no where near the hype this kid got.  Seemed real quick but not dominate.

Nickerson - He didn't practice with the squad but did some shooting drills and some dunk drills with the team.  I like him A LOT.  He did the shooting drills with the guards and has a good shot.  Very mobile and quick.  He also has some serious hops for someone who had double hip surgery.  Had a lot of power.  Bryce said he will be medically cleared in November.  I can see him being a fan favorite.

Tevonn Walker - he stood out far and beyond any of the other newcomers.  Lightning fast and a good shot.  No comparison between him vs Joseph and D. Walker.  Seems like an absolute steal that we got him.  He will do really well for us this year and the future.

Joseph - Looked athletic but I would take Lexus in a heartbeat over him.  Not as quick as Lexus and not as good of a shot as Lexus either.

D. Walker - Seemed like he was one of the slowest of the new guards.  OK shot but nothing that wowed me.

Skara - really athletic but has an odd shot.  Hopefully will be able to bang around and rebound but I thought his stroke look weird and not smooth.

Hammink - They didn't say if we was going to play this year but I liked him.  He reminds me of a upgraded Ritchie Edwards.  Hopefully he will see the court as we will need him.

Vashil - dunked and dunked some more.  They threw a lot of lobs to him.  Everything he touched was dunked.  One thing I did notice is he wasn't bring the ball down when they passed to him.  He was straight up.

Lexus - he was there and was shooting shots on the side.  However he was shooting them flat footed and not running or jumping at all.  I think his injury hurts us big time.  Bryce confirmed again he will be out the whole year. 

Davidson - His stroke seemed better but I still don't see him getting any PT.  If he is out on the court were are either winning big or in big trouble.....

Jubril - seemed really slow.  If E. Victor and him were playing one on one up to 10, I'd take E. Victor each time plus give Jubril 5 pts to start each game.  I'm not impressed.

Alec - hardly missed and looked like the stud that he is.  I hope someone steps up and gives him some scoring support.  I'm afraid that the opposing team's strategy is stop Alec and only Alec and Valpo loses.

Chadwick - looked the same.  No change.

Levingston - looks like his dad in the face.  he didn't practice and just stood on the side and watched.  Similar to how his dad did on the Bulls.

Yeo - playing at Bethel, seriously?????  Come on dude!!!  I still don't get this and would love to know the real story.  I want him back and he should be playing DI. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Chairback on October 22, 2014, 09:14:39 PMLivingston - looks like his dad in the face.  he didn't practice and just stood on the side and watched.  Similar to how his dad did on the Bulls.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: Chairback on October 22, 2014, 09:14:39 PM
Just got back from the season ticket holder event.  The university did a nice job recognizing the season ticket holders and it was a nice event.  Also the players we have a nice kids.  All seemed to have their heads on straight.

I'm a little worried about this years team.  For the first time in a long time I'm buying into the "we are young" theory.  Last year we had plenty of seniors and used the excuse, this year I think it's reality.  If we finish 4th it will be a good season.   We will be lacking scoring this year.

Interesting comment from ML about trying to schedule Butler for a home game.  He said they simply will not play here and we have asked many times.

Keith Carter- Looked smooth but no where near the hype this kid got.  Seemed real quick but not dominate.

Nickerson - He didn't practice with the squad but did some shooting drills and some dunk drills with the team.  I like him A LOT.  He did the shooting drills with the guards and has a good shot.  Very mobile and quick.  He also has some serious hops for someone who had double hip surgery.  Had a lot of power.  Bryce said he will be medically cleared in November.  I can see him being a fan favorite.

Tevonn Walker - he stood out far and beyond any of the other newcomers.  Lightning fast and a good shot.  No comparison between him vs Joseph and D. Walker.  Seems like an absolute steal that we got him.  He will do really well for us this year and the future.

Joseph - Looked athletic but I would take Lexus in a heartbeat over him.  Not as quick as Lexus and not as good of a shot as Lexus either.

D. Walker - Seemed like he was one of the slowest of the new guards.  OK shot but nothing that wowed me.

Skara - really athletic but has an odd shot.  Hopefully will be able to bang around and rebound but I thought his stroke look weird and not smooth.

Hammink - They didn't say if we was going to play this year but I liked him.  He reminds me of a upgraded Ritchie Edwards.  Hopefully he will see the court as we will need him.

Vashil - dunked and dunked some more.  They threw a lot of lobs to him.  Everything he touched was dunked.  One thing I did notice is he wasn't bring the ball down when they passed to him.  He was straight up.

Lexus - he was there and was shooting shots on the side.  However he was shooting them flat footed and not running or jumping at all.  I think his injury hurts us big time.  Bryce confirmed again he will be out the whole year. 

Davidson - His stroke seemed better but I still don't see him getting any PT.  If he is out on the court were are either winning big or in big trouble.....

Jubril - seemed really slow.  If E. Victor and him were playing one on one up to 10, I'd take E. Victor each time plus give Jubril 5 pts to start each game.  I'm not impressed.

Alec - hardly missed and looked like the stud that he is.  I hope someone steps up and gives him some scoring support.  I'm afraid that the opposing team's strategy is stop Alec and only Alec and Valpo loses.

Levingston - looks like his dad in the face.  he didn't practice and just stood on the side and watched.  Similar to how his dad did on the Bulls.

Yeo - playing at Bethel, seriously?????  Come on dude!!!  I still don't get this and would love to know the real story.  I want him back and he should be playing DI. 

Wow, where was I tonight?  I didn't glean 1/10 as much as you did  ;).  I don't have much to add, except to second the comment about the players being nice kids.  We spoke with several players and coaches afterwards.  As we have come to expect with Valpo athletes, every player was warm and engaging.

valpopal

I don't have any comments to add onto what Chairback and wh have already stated, but I did take some snapshots of the men and women players, such as the two included below, which can be seen at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157648507259547/

vu72

Quote from: Chairback on October 22, 2014, 09:14:39 PM

[/quote

Great report chairback, but Im really interested in what you thought of Georgi Donchetz?   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Not that this is much different than what we already know, just thought that Coach Lightfoot's comments were interesting. Also was told by a Bethel contact that Clay had some significant physical issues that even made them question as to how long or how much he would be able to play at Bethel.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yifq-NkQAY
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Well there you have it.  Clay wanted to play at a "Christian" college.  Makes perfect sense.   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Just re-read chairback's analysis.

From what I could gather his impressions of our starting five are:

1. smooth and real quick

2. Lightning fast and a good shot

3. Looked like the stud he is

4. very mobile and has serious hops

5. dunked everything he touched.

I see an undefeated season!   ;D

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2014, 09:05:43 AM
Well there you have it.  Clay wanted to play at a "Christian" college.  Makes perfect sense.   ???

This might have been a mistake..........oooops!

wh

Quote from: FWalum on October 23, 2014, 07:43:51 AM
Not that this is much different than what we already know, just thought that Coach Lightfoot's comments were interesting. Also was told by a Bethel contact that Clay had some significant physical issues that even made them question as to how long or how much he would be able to play at Bethel.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yifq-NkQAY

Some of the coach's one-liners needed the lame joke drum roll:

Lame joke Sound

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah he should quit comedy and go back to recording folky songs like "in the early mornin' RAY-eennnnn"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: wh on October 25, 2014, 05:43:27 AM
Quote from: FWalum on October 23, 2014, 07:43:51 AM

Some of the coach's one-liners needed the lame joke drum roll:

Lame joke Sound

If that was required I'd have to send that with every post.

ARCInsider

Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2014, 09:05:43 AM

I'm sure he meant evangelical.  Some pretty huge differences between VU and Bethel.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ARCInsider on October 26, 2014, 09:38:03 AMI'm sure he meant evangelical.
Nope, I'm pretty sure he said what he meant.  You have to realize how evangelical Protestants regard mainline Protestants.  (The former either don't realize or don't accept that they even are Protestant.)

I've been hearing that sentiment expressed by 'Christians' recruited to VU for at least 15 years.

(Of course, I've also heard on campus that Christ came and died for the Missouri Synod too, so it's a two-way street.)

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 27, 2014, 07:29:46 AM
Quote from: ARCInsider on October 26, 2014, 09:38:03 AMI'm sure he meant evangelical.
Nope, I'm pretty sure he said what he meant.  You have to realize how evangelical Protestants regard mainline Protestants.  (The former either don't realize or don't accept that they even are Protestant.)

I've been hearing that sentiment expressed by 'Christians' recruited to VU for at least 15 years.

(Of course, I've also heard on campus that Christ came and died for the Missouri Synod too, so it's a two-way street.)

I agree.  "Evangelicals", other wise known as "Bible" Christians, otherwise known as Baptists, have their own narrow view which, as Apostle points out, doesn't include folks like Lutherans.

LaPorteAveApostle

Or Catholics, for that matter.  Or anyone, really, who is not Northern Conservative Baptist.

ARCInsider

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 27, 2014, 07:29:46 AM

Right.  Which is what I said.  In his mind, evangelical=Christian. 

ARCInsider

Quote from: vu72 on October 27, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
I agree.  "Evangelicals", other wise known as "Bible" Christians, otherwise known as Baptists, have their own narrow view which, as Apostle points out, doesn't include folks like Lutherans.

This is just as bad as evangelicals who believe that only they are Christians.  There are plenty of evangelicals who a) are not Baptists and b) include Lutherans/Catholics etc within the body of Christ.

LaPorteAveApostle

It should probably be noted that we have benefited more often than not by our coach (and staff)'s connection to evangelical sects--we've gotten some faith-filled people that might not have played here otherwise.  And I'm sure Bryce represents (and probably believes, else he wouldn't work there) to recruits that this is a Christian institution.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 27, 2014, 12:10:25 PM
It should probably be noted that we have benefited more often than not by our coach (and staff)'s connection to evangelical sects--we've gotten some faith-filled people that might not have played here otherwise.  And I'm sure Bryce represents (and probably believes, else he wouldn't work there) to recruits that this is a Christian institution.

I don't think there's much question that Bethel has a more "spiritual" campus environment than Valpo. It's basically 4 more years of going to a private Evangelical high school, other than you're no longer living with mom and dad. For example, the last thing schools like Bethel, Huntington, Taylor, Anderson, and Goshen are interested in is "broadening" their students horizons by welcoming students of other religions like Islam on campus, providing meeting facilities for them, etc. Not criticizing anyone, just saying it's a different business model.

ARCInsider

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2014, 01:10:36 PM

I don't think there's much question that Bethel has a more "spiritual" campus environment than Valpo. It's basically 4 more years of going to a private Evangelical high school, other than you're no longer living with mom and dad. For example, the last thing schools like Bethel, Huntington, Taylor, Anderson, and Goshen are interested in is "broadening" their students horizons by welcoming students of other religions like Islam on campus, providing meeting facilities for them, etc. Not criticizing anyone, just saying it's a different business model.

LaPorteAveApostle

I think the word you are looking for, wh, is "religious", not "spiritual".

humbleopinion

I don't know about the other colleges, but I've never gotten the idea that Goshen was as closed-minded as stated.  From their website:

GOSHEN BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER.
In the 2013 edition of "America's Best Colleges," U.S. News & World Report recognizes Goshen as 30th among liberal arts colleges for most international students and having high ethnic diversity on campus. Our diverse campus welcomes students from 38 countries and many religions outside the Mennonite faith. In fact, more than 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions are represented here.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on October 27, 2014, 03:45:14 PM

I don't know about the other colleges, but I've never gotten the idea that Goshen was as closed-minded as stated.  From their website:

GOSHEN BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER.
In the 2013 edition of "America's Best Colleges," U.S. News & World Report recognizes Goshen as 30th among liberal arts colleges for most international students and having high ethnic diversity on campus. Our diverse campus welcomes students from 38 countries and many religions outside the Mennonite faith. In fact, more than 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions are represented here.

Substitute Wheaton:

Admissions
Known for the quality of its academic offerings, Wheaton College continues to enroll strong, distinctively Christian students. We look at the whole student to assess the quality of the application. This includes evaluating the following:

Quality of course selection
Performance in high school/college
Rank in class
ACT and/or SAT
Essays
Recommendations
Extracurricular activities
Christian commitment (necessary for admission)