• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking to November

Started by wh, October 28, 2014, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict our November record:

8-0
1 (3%)
7-1
2 (6.1%)
6-2
15 (45.5%)
5-3
10 (30.3%)
4-4
3 (9.1%)
3 or fewer
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 13, 2014, 06:50:39 AM

vu72

Starting five: Vashil, Alec, Jabril, Keith and ????  Next question:  Who are the first five off the bench and in for whom?

My picks:  Starter--Trevon Walker 

Off the bench;  Nickerson for Alec,  Joseph for Keith, Skara for Jabril,  Chadwick for Vashil  and Darien for Trevonn.

We may aslo see Jabrill playing the five and Chadwick at the four.

Thoughts??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on October 28, 2014, 09:26:52 PM
4 and 3 or 3-4 both seem equally likely. The starting 5 could be solid but I will need to view all the backup players before I can up my expectations. Generally the more negative I am the better the team does so with that in mind I have voted 3-4 . I also will refuse to predict the exhibition game and could care less about its results.

We won't be that bad. That would include losing to Central Mich or AR-Pine Bluff and the Crusaders are much better than that. Vashil, Alec, Keith, E.Victor and any other teammate could beat those teams without any help.

EDIT: watch those beat/be auto corrections. I just had to fix this post.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on October 29, 2014, 11:23:37 AMlosing to Central Mich
autocorrect can't fix everything ;)

I will go out on a limb and guarantee that we don't lose to CMU this year.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

I took 5-3.   

Losses forecast  to Mizzou, Murray State (game is near their home), and Portland (mid-rated in a decent conference).

historyman

Quote from: justducky on October 28, 2014, 09:26:52 PMI also will refuse to predict the exhibition game and could care less about its results.

You meant the other "real" game that is an exhibition game. Didn't you?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on October 10, 2014, 10:18:31 AMIt is really hard to say with so little knowledge of so many new players.

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PMSeveral things.  Sure we lost two bigs who were slow and not scoring threats.  We also lost Lexus and Clay.  We gain E. Victor.  When was the last very athletic big we have had?  My sense is he is major conference athletic.  Next, and probably most important is experience.  Alec, Jubril and Vashil all gained starter minutes with Alec and jubril only being freshman.  Bryce has also said that Alec is much better then last year.  Lastly is Keith Carter.  As with LaVonte, who also became eligible at mid-year, Keith looked uncomfortable but showed some signes of brilliance.  LaVonte went from part-time contributor to first team all conference.  I expect great things from Keith.  As for the loss of Clay, he really didn't give us much last year and we have picked up three guards who are athletic to very athletic.  Hammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.  He and E. victor have major conference experience.

You sure didn't have troubling saying anything closer to the season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 29, 2014, 06:04:54 PM
I took 5-3.   

Losses forecast  to Mizzou, Murray State (game is near their home), and Portland (mid-rated in a decent conference).

If we are ever going to beat Mizzou it will this year.  New coach, early in the year, relying on new guys.  This is the type of game many have called for.  Major conference, lower level team.  They are picked seventh in the SEC.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

Agree with vu72 regarding the game against Mizzou. However, we apparently have some sort of cosmic inability to defeat a state school from a major conference.  It's time for us to show that we can win this sort of game.  Otherwise, we will remain a middling mid-major for the foreseeable future. 

crusadermoe

When was last win vs. Big 6 conference team?.....other than U. of Washington in 2007?    Ohio State in Alaska in 2000?

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 31, 2014, 05:40:01 PM
When was last win vs. Big 6 conference team?.....other than U. of Washington in 2007?    Ohio State in Alaska in 2000?

Last year when we beat Central Florida.  Oh wait, I'm sure you think that isn't a Big 6 conference--right?  Well, I'd be hard pressed to say they aren't with teams like Cinninnati, U Conn, Memphis, Louisville and Temple.  Yes, these teams were part of the American last year when we beat UCF.

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on October 31, 2014, 07:22:15 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on October 31, 2014, 05:40:01 PM

Last year when we beat Central Florida.  Oh wait, I'm sure you think that isn't a Big 6 conference--right?  Well, I'd be hard pressed to say they aren't with teams like Cinninnati, U Conn, Memphis, Louisville and Temple.  Yes, these teams were part of the American last year when we beat UCF.

This.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2014, 09:36:09 PMFirst game is just over a week away and still no word on Hammink's eligibility?   
Just the briefest mention in the morning Post-Trib saying that "the Crusaders have continued to pursue a waiver that would allow LSU transfer Shane Hammink to play this season". Shouldn't this be a simple yes or no decision? How much research do they need to do to arrive at an answer? If this drags on for another 6 weeks then maybe he gets redshirted even if he wins!

wh

Quote from: justducky on November 01, 2014, 09:40:18 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2014, 09:36:09 PMFirst game is just over a week away and still no word on Hammink's eligibility?   
Just the briefest mention in the morning Post-Trib saying that "the Crusaders have continued to pursue a waiver that would allow LSU transfer Shane Hammink to play this season". Shouldn't this be a simple yes or no decision? How much research do they need to do to arrive at an answer? If this drags on for another 6 weeks then maybe he gets redshirted even if he wins!

Here is that article:

Valpo building chemistry as season nears

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/30776947-556/valpo-building-chemistry-as-season-nears.html#.VFZnNktFNfM

By the way, now that the NWI Times has become a pay site I won't bother to post links to their articles any longer.  I'm guessing that not many on the board have elected to pay for this service, although I could be wrong.   

classof2014

I think we'll go 6-2 during the month. I think we'll beat either Mizzou or Murray State (not both) and lose to a team we shouldn't lose to. Unlike last year we return 3 starters (including Vashil) and KC was a contributor off the bench, hopefully he can have the season like LVD did last year but only time will tell.

This team is better than last year's team. We have more experienced starters and athleticism off the bench. With the volume of new faces on the team a few players will step up off the bench. I think a top 3 finish is very possible with this team. Like last year there are a lot of questions but instead of the questions being who will start it's who will come off the bench. So we're in better shape than we were last season.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on November 03, 2014, 08:30:13 AM
This team is better than last year's team. We have more experienced starters and athleticism off the bench. With the volume of new faces on the team a few players will step up off the bench. I think a top 3 finish is very possible with this team. Like last year there are a lot of questions but instead of the questions being who will start it's who will come off the bench. So we're in better shape than we were last season.

I love your logic because it fits the narrative I want to see play out. I also love the optimism of the person who is predicting we will go 8-0 in November. Just imagine the excitement on this board a month from now if that were to occur!

Kyle321n

I took 7-1. Mizzou is worse than Nebraska of 2 seasons ago and we shot like poo that game. No way we have an Evansville-esque game on this schedule in my mind.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Final call. 

Poll closes early Thursday morning...

wh

Our November poll is officially locked and loaded.  Good luck to all 33 prognosticators!

wh

Quote from: valpotx on October 29, 2014, 01:47:54 AM
I get to be the overly-enthusiastic prognosticator here, picking 7-1.  I believe that it will be 6-2 with losses to Missouri and Murray State, but we have had similar teams that beat Murray State, and I went with my heart over brain.

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 05, 2014, 04:28:26 PM
I took 7-1. Mizzou is worse than Nebraska of 2 seasons ago and we shot like poo that game. No way we have an Evansville-esque game on this schedule in my mind.

If we can grind out 2 more wins this weekend, 2 smart guys will be adding a bit of swagger to their gait.  ;)

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2014, 02:53:45 PM
What do Kyle and I win ;)?

Your prize is the intrinsic good feeling you are currently experiencing, stemming from a unique sense of personal accomplishment.  You have earned the respect and admiration of your peers.  You are energized and motivated.  You suddenly feel empowered to take on the world and conquer it.  Congratulations to both of you!   

Smj

vusupporter

Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 28, 2014, 12:20:36 PM
Also 6-2, with a close loss to Murray State and Missouri.   I wanted to pick 7-1 hoping for the Murray state win.  If we end up 5-3, it could be another up and down year, especially in the Horizon.

LAA - I'm waiting for this season's O/U.

What will make the difference from last season? Pluses seem even with minuses. Hope is the only thing. We get that every year and yet never really materializes in a positive way, just up and down.

Several things.  Sure we lost two bigs who were slow and not scoring threats.  We also lost Lexus and Clay.  We gain E. Victor.  When was the last very athletic big we have had?  My sense is he is major conference athletic.  Next, and probably most important is experience.  Alec, Jubril and Vashil all gained starter minutes with Alec and jubril only being freshman.  Bryce has also said that Alec is much better then last year.  Lastly is Keith Carter.  As with LaVonte, who also became eligible at mid-year, Keith looked uncomfortable but showed some signes of brilliance.  LaVonte went from part-time contributor to first team all conference.  I expect great things from Keith.  As for the loss of Clay, he really didn't give us much last year and we have picked up three guards who are athletic to very athletic.  Hammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.  He and E. victor have major conference experience.

We hope E Victor is this good. He's coming off surgery. We hope Bryce is correct about Alec. We hope Keith can fill in better. We hope Vashil is much better. We hope we get great contributions from newcomers.

It's funny how possibilities become guarantees as they get talked about more and more here.

We know Lexus won't play this year. We know Clay is gone. We know one clog up the middle on D is gone. We know LeVonte is gone.

Time to get the hanky out and clean the brown and gold off our glasses.

So far: check (in limited action - wait til he's 100%!), check, check, check and check!

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

bbtds

Quote from: vusupporter on December 01, 2014, 02:26:54 AM
Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 28, 2014, 12:20:36 PM
Also 6-2, with a close loss to Murray State and Missouri.   I wanted to pick 7-1 hoping for the Murray state win.  If we end up 5-3, it could be another up and down year, especially in the Horizon.

LAA - I'm waiting for this season's O/U.

What will make the difference from last season? Pluses seem even with minuses. Hope is the only thing. We get that every year and yet never really materializes in a positive way, just up and down.

Several things.  Sure we lost two bigs who were slow and not scoring threats.  We also lost Lexus and Clay.  We gain E. Victor.  When was the last very athletic big we have had?  My sense is he is major conference athletic.  Next, and probably most important is experience.  Alec, Jubril and Vashil all gained starter minutes with Alec and jubril only being freshman.  Bryce has also said that Alec is much better then last year.  Lastly is Keith Carter.  As with LaVonte, who also became eligible at mid-year, Keith looked uncomfortable but showed some signes of brilliance.  LaVonte went from part-time contributor to first team all conference.  I expect great things from Keith.  As for the loss of Clay, he really didn't give us much last year and we have picked up three guards who are athletic to very athletic.  Hammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.  He and E. victor have major conference experience.

We hope E Victor is this good. He's coming off surgery. We hope Bryce is correct about Alec. We hope Keith can fill in better. We hope Vashil is much better. We hope we get great contributions from newcomers.

It's funny how possibilities become guarantees as they get talked about more and more here.

We know Lexus won't play this year. We know Clay is gone. We know one clog up the middle on D is gone. We know LeVonte is gone.

Time to get the hanky out and clean the brown and gold off our glasses.

So far: check (in limited action - wait til he's 100%!), check, check, check and check!

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Yes, a lot of the things that were only hopes at the beginning of the season have become reality. Especially the hope that Valpo gets help from the newcomers. Tavonn, Darien and David Skara have really played way beyond any expectations many of us had for the team. In this particular event in Nashville Keith Carter was absolutely great along with Alec Peters going beyond what Bryce was predicting for him. EVic really injects a much needed boost many times when the offense is starting to go flat he really revives it. Although Nickerson still has a ways to go before he is fully fit. He was begging to come out of the game after a few minutes and really gasping for air when he got to the bench. Another huge impact was that Vashil is playing with great confidence and playing tremendous defense (which includes blocking shots from the opponents big men).

But I do emphasis that there is no guarantee that the team will continue to play at this high a level, as was evident in the Missouri game, but my hopes for it happening are much greater than at the beginning of the season. Yeo who?

covufan

With a November like this, I'm looking forward to this team getting us back to the top of the HL this season!