• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Grand Valley State at Valpo - 11/6/14 7:05 CT

Started by EddieCabot, November 05, 2014, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

I was waiting for someone to start this, but I guess I'll go ahead.  Here's a quick overview from the website ... http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/14076/what-you-need-to-know-valpo-mens-basketball/#.VFpVD2d0yfA

I'd be surprised if Nickerson is 100% since he was just recently cleared for practice.  I'll say the starters are Fernandez, Peters, Adekoya, Carter and Walker (hedging my bets with that one).  Everyone will likely get plenty of playing time, since these games are usually pretty one-sided.  I'll also be watching closely to see if Hammink plays or not ... he's the wild card that could take a good team to a great one. 

*(Post modified to correct game date ... I don't want to take the blame if the game doesn't sell out).  :thumbsup: ;)

vu72

I suspect Nickerson won't even suit up.  No need to rush him in.  I think you are right about the starting five.  Yes, my guess is that a guy named Walker will be in the starting lineup!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Several days back I read that GVS is picked 1st or 2nd in their division (too lazy to look confirm which) in a 16-team league.  They also had a player picked for preseason 1st team and another for 2nd team. Given our youth, infusion of new players, experimenting with rotations, etc., i think the game will stay close throughout.

historyman

http://www.gvsulakers.com/news/2014/11/5/MBB_1105143107.aspx?path=mbball

The Lakers first exhibition game also.

Wesley returns eight of his top nine scorers, including leading scorer Ryan Sabin. The senior guard was a Preseason All-GLIAC North Division First Team pick, as he averaged 14.2 points per game and knocked down 69 three-pointers last season. He was on the court for 36.0 minutes per game the second-most of any player in the GLIAC.

While Valparaiso returns 48.3 percent of its scoring from last season, Grand Valley State brings back 81.6 percent of its scoring from 2013-14. Of the Lakers' 1,985 points scored last year, GVSU returns 1,620 of those points, as graduate Rob Woodson's 13.1 points per game comprised most of the missing total.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

While this may be an exhibition game, GVS will be prepared to give Valpo everything they have.  This is not a gimme.  Massey has GVS at #345 in all of NCAA, which is right at 1000 teams this year.  Valpo is at 161.  This team could beat many Division I teams.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cb2015&sub=12801

Valpo   -   75
GVS     -   63

classof2014

This is a D II team we're playing. We return 3 of our starters and most of our scoring we should win by 20 or 25. GVS might not be a good D II, so it'll technically still be a game at half time (up by 12-15) but we should win easily. It probably won't be an 88-38 blowout like against the IU-SB, Goshen, or Trinity.

Valpo - 91

GVS - 68

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman, I just wanted to let you know I also changed the subject line in your honor.  good catch, as always.

(it's also good because i don't know that i could wait another 10 days for b-ball.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

I hate missing games, but if I'm going to miss one I'm glad it's a exhibition. Cheer them on good folks! I'll be at my mom's "Influencial Women" awards ceremony.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

sliman

Let's not be too quick to call this an easy exhibition game.  Grand Valley returns nearly everyone from a 19-8 team that plays in the same league as Hillsdale.  Remember them?  A two point exhibition win just 3 years ago when we had Broekoff, Van Wyck and others on a team that lost in the HL title game on our floor.  Not saying Grand Valley will be as good as us over 25 games, but this game will give them a lot of motivation that we may not have, especially will lots of substitutions as the coaches try to get minutes for a lot of new faces we'll need significant contributions from this season.  Should be a meaningful exhibition.

vu72

Quote from: sliman on November 05, 2014, 06:07:40 PM
Let's not be too quick to call this an easy exhibition game.  Grand Valley returns nearly everyone from a 19-8 team that plays in the same league as Hillsdale.  Remember them?  A two point exhibition win just 3 years ago when we had Broekoff, Van Wyck and others on a team that lost in the HL title game on our floor.  Not saying Grand Valley will be as good as us over 25 games, but this game will give them a lot of motivation that we may not have, especially will lots of substitutions as the coaches try to get minutes for a lot of new faces we'll need significant contributions from this season.  Should be a meaningful exhibition.

Agreed.  This is their "super bowl" but for us, playing before a small crowd, it may be a difficult game to be excited about.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 05, 2014, 04:19:11 PM
I hate missing games, but if I'm going to miss one I'm glad it's a exhibition. Cheer them on good folks! I'll be at my mom's "Influencial Women" awards ceremony.

Congrats to your mom!

bbtds

Quote from: wh on November 05, 2014, 06:41:17 PM

Congrats to your mom!

What is really amazing is that she won the award despite having a schlub for a son. His words, not mine.  ;)

valporun

Ever since the NCAA has changed the rules requiring D-I teams to play NCAA or NAIA teams in the exhibitiions, instead of the international select teams or Athletes In Action teams, I've watched the exhibition games more closely. We have had tougher exhibitions because of this. Better than the days of Valpo opening against a team of guys who were thrown together a week prior just to play against a college team a couple of years younger than they are. The select teams might come in that night having little practice time together, if any at all, and the coaching wasn't very strong. Changing the rules for scheduling exhibition games has made for some better games, as the teams have practiced together, and know each other well, instead of just meeting for the first time that night.

Valpo will be an interesting watch tomorrow night. They should pull this game out, but I don't expect a blowout with all the question marks we have about who will be our 2 guard, what Nickerson will be like, how Chadwick does, and if Hammink will be on the court either.

LaPorteAveApostle

:(  reposted for the old guys ;)

[tweet]530105507055665152[/tweet]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

plenty of other good newsy tweets at

https://twitter.com/NWIOren

f'r instance:
[tweet]530165153770139648[/tweet]

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 05, 2014, 03:47:41 PMhistoryman, I just wanted to let you know I also changed the subject line in your honor.  good catch, as always. (it's also good because i don't know that i could wait another 10 days for b-ball.)

Well, then I am honored.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

A more relevant history lesson:

QuoteDoes anyone remember Grand Valley State 91, Valparaiso 0?
http://valpofans.proboards.com/thread/2794/why-scholarships-football?page=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Valley_State_Lakers_football

Let's beat the ever-loving snot outta them.  No mercy.

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on November 05, 2014, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: wh on November 05, 2014, 06:41:17 PM

Congrats to your mom!

What is really amazing is that she won the award despite having a schlub for a son. His words, not mine.  ;)

Hah! Thanks guys. I expect a full report from here after the game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 05, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

I realize that I don't know all the particulars of this situation, but from the outside this just really ticks me off. 
QuoteFormer LSU point guard Anthony Hickey will be immediately eligible to play for Oklahoma State for the 2014-15 season, according to the school. LSU coach Johnny Jones confirmed last week that LSU signed off to make that possible.

The former LSU point guard was told last month that he would not play in 2014-15 after three successful seasons on the court, but rocky ones off of it. Hickey's scholarship would have been honored and he could've remained in school and completed his degree, but he would not have been part of the basketball program.

Hickey is eligible under the NCAA's run-off rule that gives a player the possibility of immediate eligibility instead of sitting out a season like most transfers.

In order for that rule to take effect, the player must be in good academic standing and the school he is transferring from must provide a statement that verifies he was not invited to remain in the program.
QuoteHickey, a Hopkinsville, Ky. native, started 85 games in his three-year career. He averaged 9.4 points and had 360 career assists while leading the Southeastern Conference in assist-to-turnover ratio in 2013.
He was suspended indefinitely from the team in 2012 by Jones, then in his first season at the helm, and was subsequently reinstated before a road swing to Boise State and UC Irvine.
Hickey was also suspended for the team's game against Houston Baptist later that season.
So the kid that gets run off because of behavior problems gets rewarded, but the kid that got run off just to open a roster spot has to sit, at least that is the way it looks to me.  See my earlier rant on this subject.
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1916.msg47940#msg47940
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on November 06, 2014, 08:49:21 AMSo the kid that gets run off because of behavior problems gets rewarded, but the kid that got run off just to open a roster spot has to sit, at least that is the way it looks to me.  See my earlier rant on this subject.http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1916.msg47940#msg47940
Sadly, it certainly appears that you are correct.  Even if Hammink were with some other team, I'd still feel the same way. 

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 05, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

It looks like we have 11 in the rotation, with Hammink, Lexus and Levingston (Simon?) out this season.  For practice purposes, at least Levingston and Hammink will be able to participate. 

With the number of new faces, guards and SF's, I'd like to see some up tempo situations with the smaller lineups, especially if we can take advantage of match-up situations before their defense gets in position.

vu72

Can't remember where I predicted that Trevon Walker would start at the 2, but I was correct!   ;D  Paul Oren just confirmed it via Twitter.

RS

Just home from the game. Game was rather sloppily played. Everyone got a chance to play extended minutes with many of the starters playing very little in the first half. Very impressed with David Skara. 9 points and 8 rebounds in 14 minutes. good hands and a good feel for the game. Darian Walker also had an excellent second half and his string of 7 straight points gave Valpo the breathing room it needed to win the game. Bryce played many combinations and what may look disturbing in that we shot 4 for 21 on 3 point attempts I hope was just a case of first game jitters. Grand Valley was a good exhibition test for VU. Passing the ball and shot selection can be much improved though. As a side light sat behind the Smits who were at the game, Derrik will definitely be a needed addition next year with his size