• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

East Tennessee State at Valpo - 11/14/14 7:30 CT

Started by wh, November 11, 2014, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastkiller

It was a great game . There defence as a team was better this game and peters can shoot the ball had some big 3s

historyman

Did you notice that Luke Gore, during the post game interview, was going to call the turnovers down the stretch "uncharacteristic" but then changed his mind. He must have been thinking..........What am I saying........the turnovers are totally characteristic for this team. They need to make them uncharacteristic!!!

It was a great win and I love that we are starting to get very characteristic huge games from our newcomers.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

Quote from: historyman on November 14, 2014, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2014, 09:54:34 PMThis Walker Bros. thing might catch on.

One thing I know, our walkers have wheels!

You should really return those to the chairback section... C'mon its rude to steal from them when they can't chase you.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

govalpogo

I just watched the replay.  This game was a lot of fun to watch knowing what the eventual outcome would be! As Homer Drew would say, "We were really treated to a great game of college basketball." Seriously though, I am impressed with the character shown especially in the newcomers to endure a run and to trade heavy blows with a team with some skill.  A win at Mizzou would give this team some serious momentum!   

classof2014

After watching this game and comparing it to last season's home opener we definitely seem to be in better shape. Is Alec gonna score 27, Darien 20, and Tevonn 16 every night... Probably not but I think this game answered some big questions, can some else other than Alec score? The answer is yes. If Vashil gets in foul trouble is Skara or Chadwick gonna be able to step in? Looks like Skara is the guy. Is KC better than last season? Although he only had 3 points and fouled out, I thought he had a great game and played lights out D. The only question is, is Max gonna be able to step up when needed? I thought he played decently tonight, out of the newcomers on the floor he looked like a newcomer at times but overall he held his own. Is Alec Peters gonna play as advertised in the preseason? 27 points, 9-16, 4-6 3pts, 5-6 FTs, 1 stl, 2 blocks, only 2 giveaways, so you be the judge.

I though all the freshmen played great, combine for 30 points, 7-14 shooting, 1-4 3 pts, 15-16 FTs, 9 boards, 5 Assists, 2 steals, 4 TOs, only 3 fouls. An amazing game played by the freshmen.

If you add Darien's number's in as well as being apart of this newcomer group they get much better, 50 points, 13-25, 6-11 3pts, 18-23 FTs, 16 boards, 6 Assists, 3 steals, 7 TOs, and 6 fouls. Pretty darn impressive for a newcomer group in their first game. (This even with out EVN, once healthy can be a vital part to this puzzle).

Obviously this is only one game, so take it for what it's worth. It's definitely promising to see a performance like this one and have multiple guys step up. See the newcomers step up and make plays in clutch moments, and being able to watch Alec Peters and realize he is only a sophomore. Like I said this is one game, I think we'll know much more come Sunday night about how good this team really is.

Great game by a young team that has a bright future. Take it for what it's worth but definitely a promising game and a fun game to watch at that.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on November 14, 2014, 11:52:55 PMAlthough he only had 3 points and fouled out, I thought he had a great game and played lights out D.
Agreed. Some key assists (like Peters 3).

Speaking of assists, it's like almost everyone had one!  Good sign. (seven of them; only one with >3 minutes without one was Peters, actually)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

Alec Peters shot lights out from 3. Man I can't wait to see that kid play his senior year. What a great way to start the season. I didn't see as many mistakes by the freshman I thought I was going to see. I'm excited to see this team play the next few years!! Does anyone know where I can find the highlights to this game? Could someone possibly share the link? Thanks

a3uge

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 15, 2014, 08:13:42 AM
Alec Peters shot lights out from 3. Man I can't wait to see that kid play his senior year. What a great way to start the season. I didn't see as many mistakes by the freshman I thought I was going to see. I'm excited to see this team play the next few years!! Does anyone know where I can find the highlights to this game? Could someone possibly share the link? Thanks

This was an espn3 game, so if you go to watchESPN, the app or online you can see replays if you have a login through your cable provider. If you have DirectTV, you probably can't log in.

Link for the site is here: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/ - click Replays and search for Valparaiso (Ctrl+f, type Valparaiso)

I'm rewatching from the app - from the WatchESPN app, go to the side menu, hit Men's NCAA basketball, and then replays. The Valpo game is still on there. You have to fast forward a bit for the game - it starts around 1:17:00 or so. I actually use with the app and throw it to my TV using a Chromecast, which has WatchESPN support.

valporun

I watched the replay of the game last night. The technical difficulties still bother me, even if the game is being run by broadcast production students, unless the weather was terrible in Valpo, technical difficulties shouldn't be happening, especially after volleyball season.

I was really impressed with the team composure this game. When the game got close in the second half, I'm glad these guys didn't panic and rush shots or passes. They showed maturity beyond their college years in a game against a team of equal caliber in ETSU. Very impressed with the Walkers bros., and hope to see quite a bit of growth from Joseph. We have a great season ahead of us, and a smart team with a lot of surprises to show us this season. After Mizzou's loss last night, I can't wait to see how the matchup plays out. We have a solid chance, especially if UMKC, a weaker team than we, can upset an SEC team on the road.

Also, does anyone have video on YouTube, Valpo Athletics included, of the Gene Bartow tribute? Don't know if HLN showed it, as I missed the live coverage due to work last night. Thank God for ESPN3 replay for this game.

wh

Add to Tevonn's excellent offensive game that Luke Gore noted that he played "phenomenal defense" in shutting down ETSU'S 1st team all conference player Rashawn Rembert (7 points on 3-11 shooting). Tevonn looked like anything but a freshman playing his first ever college basketball game.   

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2014, 07:49:19 AM
(NWI articles are still available to nonsubscribers...you just have to answer some lame question to 'continue reading')

Up to 5 NWI articles per month are still available to nonsubscribers...you just have to answer some lame question to 'continue reading

valpopal

It was good to see so much contributed by the new players. As others have mentioned, these guys seem fairly confident. Tevonn appears to be a slasher and Darien has a fine outside shot (see my photos below), while Skara is a real battler inside. Only Joseph looked like he might need to adjust a bit. Of course, Alec is starting the season firing on all cylinders, and it is easy to forget he is only a sophomore when you look at his stellar stats. Also, Adekoya's steady solid game is easy to overlook.

The team looked especially good in the first half during which they had only 3 turnovers while recording 3 blocks. After a sloppy stretch in the second half that saw a number of quick turnovers, it was good to see the players not get rattled and close out the game well.

My concerns in this game were the same that I had watching the exhibition, the lack of scoring from Carter and Fernandez. Carter did handle the ball well with four assists and only one turnover, and Vashil did have five rebounds and two blocks for the time he was in the game; however, I'd like to see more offense from both since Keith had only one basket and Vashil took just one shot. In addition, free throw shooting can improve for some who might be getting to the line often this season, especially Vashil (2-6), Jubril (2-6), and Darien (3-7): the rest of the team was a terrific 21-24. Finally, I hope Nickerson gets his game-legs back soon.

a3uge

Here are my observations after watching the game.

* Make your free throws!
* Skara > Jubril. Love that guy! He's going to be starting by end of year.
* Walker, Walker, and Joseph (sounds like a law firm) seemed like the same entity in the first half. All three got a little sloppy with the ball (as expected being freshman). T Walker might be better defensively, had a great rebound at the end and was able to push it up court quickly. They played better down the stretch, so I had to delete my negative review... and by the end of the game I feel much better about the Canadians. Still not sold on Joseph.
* Jubril, and rest of team can't finish at the rim, sans Alec
* Carter was great defensively again, especially in the first half. Made some good passes.
* Reffs had a baffling call when the ball was blocked out of bounds, but had a great makeup call on seemingly nothing a second later. Some really bad calls like Tavon being fouled on his dunk.
* Vashil still promising and frustrating. He was much better at keeping out of foul trouble, almost to his detriment. Did he play at all the second half? The only time I noticed was when he was trying to shoot free throws.
* Banana fan was on ape fans shoulder at about 11 min left.
* Skara, love that guy.
* Too many turnovers. Can't turn it over on 4 straight possessions in the 2nd half. I get the communication turnovers, not being on same page, but the ball handling and passing were really sloppy. Joseph needs some mustard on his passes.
* Peters should force shots more when the team is turning it over. Guy is clutch. 3 attempts in the first 15 min of 2nd half is not enough. I said in one of the previews that "Peters is going to score a lot of points" and so far this is true!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on November 15, 2014, 10:45:33 AMUp to 5 NWI articles per month are still available to nonsubscribers...you just have to answer some lame question to 'continue reading
...or just use the app on your phone </problems>
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 14, 2014, 11:07:25 PMYou should really return those to the chairback section... C'mon its rude to steal from them when they can't chase you.

I have relatives who resemble that remark.

valpo64

Great game for Alec, and he has been under the weather.  His Dad told me Alec threw up yesterday morning, and has been put on a Z-pac.  He was obviously feeling better last night.  After UMKC beating Missouri last night let's hope for a big win Sunday.

wh

Interesting.  That explains Bryce's post game comment that he was afraid Alec didn't have enough legs left to hit the 2 deep 3's at the top of the key in the 2nd half.  It might also explain why Alec was out of the game for an extended period in the middle of the 2nd half. 

valpopal

Quote from: wh on November 15, 2014, 05:47:56 PM
Interesting.  That explains Bryce's post game comment that he was afraid Alec didn't have enough legs left to hit the 2 deep 3's at the top of the key in the 2nd half.  It might also explain why Alec was out of the game for an extended period in the middle of the 2nd half.

Also, the reason Alec was not part of the post-game press conference.

valpospartan

I must have been watching a different Carter.  The one I saw allowed his man, Riley, to hit three after three after three, in the 2nd half. That is not good defense in my book.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on November 15, 2014, 10:56:36 AMMy concerns in this game were the same that I had watching the exhibition, the lack of scoring from Carter and Fernandez.
I am very encouraged that this could be an exceptional team but my time frame for that development stretches out to the end of the 15-16 season and beyond.

For the 14-15 team to be able to compete at the top of the Horizon then the entire trio of Carter, Fernandez, and Nickerson will have to become substantial consistent contributors. If this doesn't play out then 14-15 should be another year marked with up and far too many down  performances. Either way it should be fun to watch these kids develop.

valpo64

As a afterthought, since I do sit in the chairback section, I need to remember not to bring my walker to any games in the future.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 16, 2014, 01:59:14 PM
As a afterthought, since I do sit in the chairback section, I need to remember not to bring my walker to any games in the future.

Please let Tavonn and Darien play!!!

Oh, nevermind!

valpopal

Check out a gallery with more than 40 photos from the game that I have now uploaded for all to enjoy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157649265905176/

LaPorteAveApostle

Great pics! 

Reminded me of something you may find interesting, even if you've never lived in Tuscaloosa:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24806444/is-the-alabama-board-of-trustees-finally-ready-to-kill-uab-football

(bear with me...interesting.  also:  gene bartow.)

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 17, 2014, 09:20:48 AM
Great pics! 

Reminded me of something you may find interesting, even if you've never lived in Tuscaloosa:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24806444/is-the-alabama-board-of-trustees-finally-ready-to-kill-uab-football

(bear with me...interesting.  also:  gene bartow.)

I think it's fairly simple. Paul Bryant, Jr has a perceived conflict of interest and Governor Bentley needs to remove him off the state's System Board of Trustees. You can't have someone will a clear reason to favor one school over another on the state's board. Yes, he'd hear from Crimson Tide fans but this is where the governor MUST act in the interests of all the citizens of Alabama. That must be inherent in all aspects of state government. BTW,

Governor Bentley is a doctor from Tuscaloosa who represented Tuscaloosa as a state representative. So I don't know if UA has too much of a power hold on state government that the Birmingham part of the state does not possess.