• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Missouri, Mizzou Arena, Columbia, MO 5:00 p.m. CT Sunday 11/16/14

Started by bbtds, November 12, 2014, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradC

I've read some absurdities on these boards from time to time, but the critique of Brandon may take the cake.

As a 19-20 year old sophomore in college, he does more prep work and due diligence than any media member. I can assure that as I work with him on a regular basis. In addition to covering anything and everything Valpo sports related, his coverage of local prep sports is excellent and unparalleled. Very few college students could juggle the full-time workload he does and be enrolled as a full-time student on top of it. Brandon's already a pro and will enjoy a long, successful career in whatever media-related field he decides to pursue.

Liking/disliking a voice is completely subjective. But if one can't appreciate the content and passion one puts into his craft, then you're truly missing out. I'm sure his professors would concur that he's the most talented and hardest-working communications student to come through Valpo since Adam Amin.

bbtds

I think the only thing for Brandon to do is to ignore it and prove the comment wrong.

historyman

Does anyone know the alternate channel # for SEC network that Valpo/Mizzou game is on?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

JUBRIL,
KILL THE BUNNY!!!!!

historyman

Thanks.

I was never so glad that the 5th set was not nearly as close as the other 4. Way to go MU women's volleyball! Thanks, Ole Miss volleyball!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpofan00

valpotx

Unfortunate loss, but we didn't do enough in the second half.  Not calling certain fouls aside (Peters and Vashil BS charges in a key stretch as well), our guys froze when they had open or step back looks.  We still get those "big arena frights," regardless of the quality of BCS opponent.  Shooting a wide open shot shouldn't be affected by gym size.  I still think that we will have a good season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofan00

Terrible game. Can't win when no one steps up besides EVic. Could've been a totally different game if Alec didn't get in foul trouble so early. Everytime Vashil gets the ball I cringe. He can't handle the ball well, score or ever rebound. He's not what I expected him to be this year. Not even close really. Jubril can not score without being down low. But even when he is down low he misses bunnies or gets the ball blocked. So many stupid fouls.  Keith did not do well on the offensive side at all. Forced a lot of shots but that's okay since he technically is a freshman. Next year he will be a good player. Tevonn played well I think same goes with Skara. Man I can't wait for next year.

valpopal

We now see the game plan for opposing coaches: try to get the refs to call fouls on Alec and take him out of the game. Along with him, the team flow leaves the court as well.

Also, as I have said after the past two games, my main concerns are poor team free throw shooting and the lack of production from two starters: Carter and Fernandez. Carter is now 2-16 in the exhibition and two regular season games. In the two regular season games, they have combined for only 7 total points. The free throw percentage in the first two regular season games is 63%.

On the positive side, potential shown by Skara, Nickerson, and the two Walkers. Also, I don't think it will be possible to control Alec's contributions in too many future games.

justducky

As I said in the ETSU thread it will be necessary for Carter, Nickerson, and Fernandez to all make significant and reliable contributions for this team to really blossom. On top of that we are already seeing some of the limitations that handicap Jubrils particular skill set.

I am in no way panicking but this team will take some time. I suggest that we all remain calm and show our patience.

vu72

Hard to take too many positives from a very bad showing. Next is the flat out speed of Tevonn. An incredible steal for Valpo.  There may be others but I can't see them now.  These early games will be tough on almost everyone as they get to know each other.  Vashil may be my biggest disappointment going forward... :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpofan00

Tevon and EVic are steals. Jubril and Vashil are disappointments. I'm undecided on Keith. Jubril will probably end up being a mediocre player.

truth219

bbtds

What's the ppg average now? If this was "The Price Is Right" I would be sitting pretty on that prediction of 62.9.

vu72

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 16, 2014, 07:38:05 PM
Tevon and EVic are steals. Jubril and Vashil are disappointments. I'm undecided on Keith. Jubril will probably end up being a mediocre player.

At this point I agree.  Right now we are "Rowdy v. Michigan State"  Stop Alec (or allow him to stop himself) and stop the Crusaders.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 16, 2014, 07:38:05 PMTevon and EVic are steals. Jubril and Vashil are disappointments. I'm undecided on Keith. Jubril will probably end up being a mediocre player.
Not so fast on Jubril! He is 2 games into his sophomore season and has a great many positives. I will repeat for about the fourth time since the middle of last year that if he can find or develop a good shot near and at the 3 point line the floor will open up for him like the parting of the Red Sea.

atkins

Terrible showing.  ???  I'm disappointed.  The SEC announcers were far too generous when complimenting many of our players.  You could tell that they (like all of us) were waiting for Alec to show up and lead the team.  He never did.  Alec was lumbering and ineffective.  Don't get me started on Vashil.  I don't understand what's up with Carter; he's far better than he's played so far. 

There were times when Mizzou had 4 reserves on the court, and they still outplayed us.  We continue to demonstrate that we don't belong on the court with BCS-type teams.  We can destroy North-East-South-Whatever State all we want, but until we can stay with a low-tier major conference team, we're not ready for prime time. 

I watched the game on tv with a couple of Mizzou fans.  They were gracious, but it was embarrassing to sit through that game. 

valporun

I think Keith really needs another point guard on our roster that can put some pressure on him to keep his starting spot. I'm not sure that Tevon Walker or Max Joseph could be that guy yet, but with some more games, I hope there is a challenge put to Keith to work on some of the things he's been struggling with so far, or else he'll wind up the first or second body off the bench in the rotation plans.

Alec was seemingly targeted by the officials during this game, otherwise he might have been in a lot longer. Hopefully, Wednesday is a chance to brush off some dust, but I'm not ready to say this should be a game where the starters see limited playing time. This team is too young for that right now. They need to work during this game, even if IUSB isn't going to be a huge challenge, our guys need to work hard during this game all the same. I'll have to watch these games a little closer to see about what Joseph and Chadwick really bring to the table. Also, if Alec said the most improved player was Nick Davidson, why has Nick sat the bench during both games this weekend? It seems like Nick is a walk-on holding a scholarship...

bbtds

When was the last time Valpo has scored as low as 18 in a half? Michigan State in the NCAA tournament when the Crusaders scored 38?

bbtds

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on November 16, 2014, 08:33:31 PMAlso, if Alec said the most improved player was Nick Davidson, why has Nick sat the bench during both games this weekend? It seems like Nick is a walk-on holding a scholarship...

I'm afraid Alec was trying to pump up Nick so he possibly doesn't leave. If you notice during the HL press conference in Chicago Bryce didn't agree but was even handed in his comment. I think Vashil was trying to help Alec in a well timed one-two punch, so to speak.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 16, 2014, 07:38:05 PMTevon and EVic are steals. Jubril and Vashil are disappointment

Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2014, 07:46:46 PM
What's the ppg average now? If this was "The Price Is Right" I would be sitting pretty on that prediction of 62.9.
already thought of that
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Vashil will be fine and contribute average stats by middle of season (5-6 ppg, and 6+ rpg, 1-2 bpg).  That would be enough for me to say that he had a good season.  We are still feeling out our playing style, and once we figure it out, his role will be a little easier.  Just like how we figured out how to use him last season, he will get it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

You know what's great. If we want to make the NCAA tournament, we don't have to beat a single BCS school! Also last year we beat Central Florida and last I checked the American Conference is a "Group of 5" conference.

Back to this game, it would be nice if Jubril or Vashil were studs like Alec, but we can't have 5 guys on the court who will light up the stat sheet every night. If they fill certain roles the team will be successful.

• Vashil needs to be on the court about 25 minutes a night and be a rim protector. Grab 6-7 rebounds, don't let guards have uncontested lay ups, and if you grab an offensive rebound go back up with it quickly and get an easy 2 points. The most frustrating part of his game for me is whenever he has the ball he brings it down to his chest or lower and then tries to go back up with it. That's a recipe for disaster especially when you don't have the best hands or the strongest frame. I know he's still "new" to basketball, but it's been 3 years, the coaches should have beaten that out of him by now.
  • We saw flashes of what Jubril gives us. He's a solid ball handler and can get to the rim off the drive. At 6'7" or 6'8" (I think its more like 6'7", but you know how SIDs are with height) he's going to be able to frequently beat his man off the dribble. Now he needs to finish. As has been stated he's killing us by missing these bunnies, but that might be early season rust or jitters. I fully expect him to be draining those by December.

I still don't know what to expect from Keith, and frankly I fear he might be in a 2013 Dority situation, playing point when he's a more natural 2 guard. I don't know if Tevonn can take over the point or if we'd be better off with Darien or Max at the point, it's really too early for me to make any full assessment of who should be playing the point. I think Keith will be the answer at the end of the season, or I hope he will, but right now we're missing Lexus. He was a floor general and really had the offense rolling. On Friday every offensive possession went through Alec, which makes sense as the star of our team, but there's times when you need your PG to take over, get a pick and roll or motion set running and have your star act as more decoy for 2-3 minutes. Right now Keith has 7 assists to 2 TOs in 54 minutes. His first 60 minutes last year saw him have 9 assists to 7 turnovers so there's some improvement. I'm a little concerned about the scoring, but his defense is nothing to sneer at.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer