• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Skara v. Peters

Started by vu72, November 20, 2014, 02:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

I understand the season is very young, but the performance of David Skara has been pretty impressive.  I looked at Alec's first three games versus David's first three.  Although Alec was a starter, his minutes on the floor aren't significantly bigger then what David has had to date.

For three games, David has played an average of 19.3 minutes.  Last year, over the first three games, Alec played 26.6.  David is shooting 61.1% overall and 66.7% from the 3.  He is also shooting 87.5 from the line and has 8 assts to 2 TOs.  Alec averaged 12 ppg last year while David is averaging 11.0.  Alec shot 55.6% overall and 44.4% from the 3.

The comparison in obvious and I don't see how Bryce can keep David off the floor for too many minutes.  I like the idea of playing them both together.  I also very much liked the idea of playing Max at the point and Keith at the 2.  It seemed to take the load off of Keith and allowed him to relax and just shoot it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Does a starting line-up of Skara, Peters, Carter, Joseph and Fernandez against AR-Pine Bluff make sense?

After Fernandez gets in foul trouble then Nickerson or Adekoya. Darien and Tavonn would get plenty of playing time too.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on November 20, 2014, 03:43:55 PM
Does a starting line-up of Skara, Peters, Carter, Joseph and Fernandez against AR-Pine Bluff make sense?

After Fernandez gets in foul trouble then Nickerson or Adekoya. Darien and Tavonn would get plenty of playing time too.

It does.  David is showing that he can rebound very well.  That is the only area where reducing Jabril's time might hurt.  We would add some very good scoring.  Not sure about starting Joseph but clearly getting the point duties off of Keith seemed to work very well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

That's workable, but I don't think you can take T. Walker out of the starting lineup. He is a weapon offensively, the best on-ball defender on the team, is cat quick, and scraps for the ball in a scrum like a man possessed.  I'm as impressed with Skara as everyone else - on the offensive end, but from what I observed at the ETSU game he still has a ways to go defensively.

LaPorteAveApostle

What should be weighed is that perhaps his high efficiency is a result of limited minutes...perhaps no one thinks he'll keep making 2 outta 3.  (I for one would welcome it, but, regression-to-the-mean.)

Since he and Peters are more similar than Peters and Adekoya, would having both of them out there at the same time result in spacing or sharing issues?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Carter - Walker - Skara - Peters - Vashil

Seems alright to me.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo4life

I would love to see Skara in the starting lineup in place of Jubril. He is smart with the ball and I believe he could help set the tone of the game early on. Instead of coming in and trying to help settle things down, why not do it from the start and hope the "reinforcements", as Calipari would put it, can come in and carry out the tone he, along with the other starters, set in the opening minutes.

wh

Quote from: valpo4life on November 21, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
I would love to see Skara in the starting lineup in place of Jubril.

Gold nuggets eventually find their way to the sluice box.

classof2014

I don't think Skara should start over Jubril at this point of the season. His sample size is 4 games, 2 of which were against inferior opponents. Yes, he has shined and yes, he should be a big part of this rotation but Jubril is a terrific rebounder and I would imagine his scoring will increase once his shots start falling. He's gotten good looks but lacks the confidence to finish in the early going, once he gets his confidence he should manage 8-12 PPG. Both he and Skara are looking to make a terrific 1-2 punch at the 4 position for the next 3 years. Who knows if Skara does keep the pace up he may find his way into the starting lineup. Bryce does reward good play with starts, Jubril, Vashil, and Lexus all worked their ways into the starting lineup. Wouldn't shock me to see Skara worked his way in sometime down the road. But for now Jubril should remain the starter.

SanityLost17

Skara at the 3, Peters at the 4, and Jubril at the 5.  This team will be in desperate need of inside scoring to open up the floor.  Peters and Jubril are more of a scoring threat down low than Vashil.  Jubril will eventually start making those bunnies around the rim (hopefully).

Kyle321n

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 21, 2014, 10:59:47 AM
Skara at the 3, Peters at the 4, and Jubril at the 5.  This team will be in desperate need of inside scoring to open up the floor.  Peters and Jubril are more of a scoring threat down low than Vashil.  Jubril will eventually start making those bunnies around the rim (hopefully).

I thought about this, but I actually switched D. Walker for Skara. As nice a guy as Vashil is he's not a starter on a Horizon League winning team. He's great to have off the bench in limited time when you need defense, but at no point should he have more minutes than Skara or the Walkers.

Right now I'm thinking the rotations should be
1. Carter, T. Walker, D. Walker, Peters, Jubril (First 10 or so)
2. Carter, Joesph, Skara, Peters, Vashil (Next 5)
3. Joseph, T. Walker, D. Walker, Skara, Jubril (Final 5)

Then for the second half run out 2 to start the half for 7 minutes, run 3 out there for 7 minutes and then run 1 out for the final 6.  I know foul trouble and potential in game nicks can't be accounted for, but I think would maximize our best line up (in my opinion) and lead to these minute loads:
Carter: 28
D. Walker: 28
Jubril: 28
Peters: 28
T. Walker: 28
Joseph: 24
Skara: 24
Vashil: 12

I don't know how feasible this is, but I kind of like it. Playing Peters and Carter 15 minutes to start the game might be a little rough on them and having the Walkers and Jubril close the final 13 minutes might also not work.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 21, 2014, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 21, 2014, 10:59:47 AM

I thought about this, but I actually switched D. Walker for Skara. As nice a guy as Vashil is he's not a starter on a Horizon League winning team. He's great to have off the bench in limited time when you need defense, but at no point should he have more minutes than Skara or the Walkers.

Right now I'm thinking the rotations should be
1. Carter, T. Walker, D. Walker, Peters, Jubril (First 10 or so)
2. Carter, Joesph, Skara, Peters, Vashil (Next 5)
3. Joseph, T. Walker, D. Walker, Skara, Jubril (Final 5)

Then for the second half run out 2 to start the half for 7 minutes, run 3 out there for 7 minutes and then run 1 out for the final 6.  I know foul trouble and potential in game nicks can't be accounted for, but I think would maximize our best line up (in my opinion) and lead to these minute loads:
Carter: 28
D. Walker: 28
Jubril: 28
Peters: 28
T. Walker: 28
Joseph: 24
Skara: 24
Vashil: 12

I don't know how feasible this is, but I kind of like it. Playing Peters and Carter 15 minutes to start the game might be a little rough on them and having the Walkers and Jubril close the final 13 minutes might also not work.

Ah...What about the most athletic guy on the team??   ???

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2014, 01:53:19 PM
Ah...What about the most athletic guy on the team??   ???
:censored: Nickerson.

Ok. Well  Let me recalculate this.

Kyle321n

Ok so Vashil should be the 4th guy off the bench. How's that? While I think Joseph helps us out about the same as Vashil (read I don't think he's that good, man I miss Lexus, holy crap this team with Lexus.) The Walkers and Carter in my plan maintain the 1-3 positions and while we could go "big" with Nickerson, Skara and Peters (Or Jubril in one of those spots) I'm not sure how often in our league you want to do that. There's some small and shifty 3s and I don't think I trust Skara implicitly yet. You'll notice 2 players who NEVER see the light of day in my plans either way. Let's keep it that way.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 21, 2014, 02:02:58 PM
:censored: Nickerson.

I think what you meant to say was :censored: [PERIOD I can't believe I forgot] Nickerson.

At least I hope ;)

Kyle321n

It was $hit not Fvck.

Nickerson should be first man off the bench. I wouldn't mind if he got just as many minutes as the Walker brothers, and probably comparable to Jubril.

1. Nickerson
2. Skara
3. Joseph
4. Vashil

Pgmado

Rumors of Vashil's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Pgmado on November 21, 2014, 03:56:49 PM

When they aren't playing Skeeter and Porkchop I'll buy it.

historyman

Best game ever by Vashil in a Valpo uniform.

Milo Stovall, I believe, showed up in the 2nd half & is spending a lot of time talking to Bryce.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 21, 2014, 04:40:05 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on November 21, 2014, 03:56:49 PM

When they aren't playing Skeeter and Porkchop I'll buy it.

Yay, someone got my reference to Bluffington :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

If Skara keeps his high level of play up, I think he will end the season a better player than Alec at the same stage of their respective (albeit young) careers.  Peters was in a multi-game slump last season, and hopefully Skara can avoid the same issue.  Having both of them on the same floor is certainly exciting. 

bbtds

Skara 0 for 5 (0 for 3 from three). It just wasn't David's afternoon.

4 rebounds on D end.

I wonder who the morning guys are on this team.

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, sample size, people, sample size.

just like i'm not ready to throw the towel in on a) Carter b) Max Joseph c) Vashil d) Chadwick e) any or all of the above

i'm not ready to anoint Skara or the Walkers as the second coming either.

things will reveal themselves to be what they are, given the proper sample size.  (hint:  it's more than 5 games.)