• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ball State player suspended indefinitely

Started by vufan75, November 25, 2014, 11:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Perhaps the player suspension will still be in effect when Valpo hosts Ball State on Saturday, December 13th. I ran across this news in an article I read on chicagohoops.com today. Will have to wait and see if the player is reinstated by then, or what the punishment will mean to the Ball State team. Sounds like a pretty key guy to me, being a pg for BSU. Just like us losing Lexus for season due to injury, losing your pg who gets you into your offense is always tough.   

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/hoops-247-network-news/4357-ball-state-suspends-zavier-turner

Ball State Suspends Zavier Turner

Category: Hoops 247 Network   Published on Sunday, 23 November 2014 12:04   Written by Hoops 247 Network

Ball State head coach James Whitford has suspended Zavier Turner indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

Turner, a 5'9 sophomore point guard, was named Freshman of the Year in the Mid-American Conference last year after averaging 12.1 points and 3.7 assists per contest.

In two games this season, Turner was averaging 12.5 points and 3.0 assists per contest.

Sophomore Kaleb Mallory, who came into the program as a walk-on, will assume the starting point guard role.

talksalot

December 2, 2014:

MUNCIE, Ind. - Ball State head coach James Whitford has reinstated sophomore guard Zavier Turner.

Turner, a Pike High School graduate, had been suspended two games into this season for a violation of team rules.

"Young people sometimes make mistakes, and you have to hold them accountable," Whitford said. "Proper decision-making on and off the court is an integral part of our program. Zavier and all of our players have to hold themselves to a very high standard."

Turner was named MAC freshman of the year last season. The Cardinals travel to Eastern Illinois Wednesday before returning home to host Indiana State on Saturday afternoon.

"This has been a learning experience that has forced me to grow and mature," Turner said. "I am thankful to have a second chance and the opportunity to rejoin my teammates."

wh

Turner should transfer to the HL. He would fit right in with the many rule violators and law breakers we already have.

LaPorteAveApostle

Perhaps his greatest crime is spelling his name that way.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

What is with all the "team rules" suspensions?

What team rule would be suspension worthy that would not be a ncaa rule as well ....   It seems like when it is a ncaa rule it is in the news.    Not that I need to know why the kids is suspended but I don't understand the difference.

vu72

Quote from: Smj on December 03, 2014, 07:35:58 AM
What is with all the "team rules" suspensions?

What team rule would be suspension worthy that would not be a ncaa rule as well ....   It seems like when it is a ncaa rule it is in the news.    Not that I need to know why the kids is suspended but I don't understand the difference.

Oh, how about being late for several meetings.  Being out past curfew (several times).  Saying bad things about teammates.  Missing classes.  failing to give the academic advisor sufficient time to write a paper for you,  shop lifting, speeding tickets, getting in a fight with anyone.  Being intoxicated in public (or private for that matter) etc., etc., etc.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015