• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Portland in Music City, 1:00 PM CDT, Sun 11/30/14

Started by wh, November 29, 2014, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Completely different match-up challenges with Portland, with 2 starters 6-11 and 6-10 and a 6-10 reserve who gets quality minutes.  Highlights from their win over Drake:

Portland Men's Basketball vs Drake Highlights 11-29-14

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

I actually want to see it be a tight game. At this point we have no idea how this group will respond to the pressures of the closing minutes in a back and forth battle.

But ---I still would have to guess Valpo by 6.

I hope we are already working on getting some quality opponents for 2015-16 because it looks like we are going to need them.  :thumbsup:

valpo4life

I think we have an advantage here playing them on the 3rd day of this event. They seem to revolve around using their big men, who typically wear down faster than guards. And now they are going to have to run around the perimeter on defense chasing Vashil setting screens and whoever their 4 man guards, which most likely will be Alec, I'll take that match up any day of the week. I feel we are going to be very tough for them to guard today. When we are on defense we need to trap the post effectively and limit their offensive rebounds and I think we cap off what has already been a very good November with another impressive victory.

LaPorteAveApostle

I saw that a couple guys picked 7-1 for November.

What *I* want to know is, who picked "Arkansas Pine-Bluff" as our closest game?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

SKARAAAAAAA

We are out rebounding these giants on a 2 to 1 ratio halfway through first half.  (Outscoring them by the same ratio, unsurprisingly.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

govalpogo

Jeez,  Let them play all of their games at Nashville Muni!  Very very impressive thus far. 

42 points, get this, with 0 (0-1) free throws! 

classof2014

Thought the game started at 2 central, not 1. Pleasantly surprised to check in and see a 22 point lead at half!!!!

Peters with 15 once again, on his way to another 25-30 point performance in 25 or so minutes of play! And this Portland team is no cupcake. Wow!

Let's keep it going in half number 2.

FWalum

Lets hope we save some of this for the conference portion of the schedule.  Don't know whether I have ever heard or seen of a VU team putting this kind of a series together.  Lets hope these teams (Murray State and Portland) win some decent RPI games in the future.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

govalpogo

No let down after last night.  Would have liked to see them run up the score like last night, but the Pilots kept fighting (well...Tyson kept making shots).  Excellent weekend overall!

valpotx

Valpo 70-55.  Another solid game, and a great week!  I look forward to our home game against New Mexico, but let's get Eastern Kentucky at their place first!

Vashil with ANOTHER solid game regarding what we need from him (rebounding, 4 or less fouls, and defense), with several quality games against big foes.  So, suck it Vashil detractors, AGAIN :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Btw, I love this Pilots' fan comment on their board:

"Who let the 1972 UCLA Bruins into this little mid-major tournament??" lol

http://www.pilotnation.net/t5503p45-challenge-in-music-city-in-nashville
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on November 30, 2014, 02:04:30 PM
Lets hope we save some of this for the conference portion of the schedule.  Don't know whether I have ever heard or seen of a VU team putting this kind of a series together. Lets hope these teams (Murray State and Portland) win some decent RPI games in the future.
[/b]

I don't think some of us realize how good this Portland team is/will be this season.  They return six seniors to a team that beat Idaho, San Jose, Gonzaga, BYU, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, Bradley and...Columbia, Last Year! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Valpo played this weekend like it was some BS early November tournament Michigan State put on in their home gym.

Smj

very impressive tournament.    Didn't just win - they made a statement.   

valpospartan

Quote from: a3uge on November 30, 2014, 06:27:51 PM
Valpo played this weekend like it was some BS early November tournament Michigan State put on in their home gym.
Like most every major school does?  You failed to mention that Michigan State historically plays one of the toughest OOC schedules.

a3uge

Quote from: valpospartan on November 30, 2014, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 30, 2014, 06:27:51 PM
Like most every major school does?  You failed to mention that Michigan State historically plays one of the toughest OOC schedules.

Uh honestly just picked a random power conference team. Really wasn't the point.

valpo95

The reality is that the most recent three wins will look better and better as the season progresses.  While none were against a "Power 5" conference, they are all good wins against solid opponents.

classof2014

After this weekend Valpo should be ranked in the top 25 among mid-majors and if they keep the trend up and win their next 2 games they will probably begin to receive votes for top 25 in the country.

This is Valpo's best start in 60 years at 7-1, they have an opportunity to really make a statement this week. Knock off the Colonels in Richmond and and domesticate the Lobos at home, Valpo can be looking at a special season. This weekend was one of Valpo's best stretches of basketball in recent memory. Hopefully the confidence gained will continue for the rest of the season and each game will build off each other.

Keep it up!

FWalum

Interesting that Darien Walker's JC made the effort to reach out to him following the Challenge's Championship game. Nice article Former Logan standout Walker named All-Tourney for Valparaiso
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on December 01, 2014, 10:15:44 AM
[tweet]539452268039659520[/tweet]
Quote from: valpopal on December 01, 2014, 10:15:44 AM
[tweet]539452268039659520[/tweet]

We are currently ranked #79 in the Sagarin's and The Horizon is the #13 while The Valley is just ahead of us at #12.  Green Bay leads the league, currently ranked #34.

We are really being held down by UIC, at #291, Oakland at #246, and Milwaukee at #243 (out of 350)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Remember, '72, Oakland's contribution to the league's RPI comes not from winning games but from playing the role of the Washington Generals against D-1 majors they can't possibly beat. Isn't that the narrative - do the conference a great service by losing to better teams while paying for your school's athletic budget at the same time?

valpopal