• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking to December

Started by wh, November 30, 2014, 11:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict our December record:

7-0
4 (13.3%)
6-1
20 (66.7%)
5-2
6 (20%)
4-3
0 (0%)
3-4
0 (0%)
2-5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: December 03, 2014, 11:06:57 AM

wh

Following is the 7-game schedule for DEC:

DEC 3 at Eastern Kentucky
DEC 6 New Mexico
DEC 10 Trinity International
DEC 13 Ball State
DEC 20 at IPFW
DEC 21 Goshen
DEC 29 at James Madison

What will our DEC record be?

classof2014

We lose to Eastern Kentucky on the road but beat New Mexico at home. I do want to say 7-0 but going undefeated in a month is incredibly difficult. Although if we win our first 2 games nobody else scares me too much.

BrettD07

6-1.

Not 7-0 because I'm predicting one bad game in that stretch.  We'll beat the Non-D1 teams. 
Who we will lose to is irrelevant--we're so hot right now that only one team on our schedule CAN beat us--US.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: BrettD07 on November 30, 2014, 01:37:45 PMonly one team on our schedule CAN beat us--US
i didn't know the University of Suffolk was on our schedule! uh oh.

(welcome to the board : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

BrettD07

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I've actually been around a while but today's my first login of the season.

It seems the "Forgot password" function is broken (it doesn't actually send an e-mail, though it "says" it does), so I had to make a new account.

valpotx

Another overly enthusiastic prediction by me, at 7-0.  No one scares me on the road, and I think that being at home will get us a victory over the Lobos.  Could we truly end up 14-1 after the first 2 months? :o
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

I'm gonna low ball it at 5-2.  I think we will take one of two from EKU and NM and then we will have a gaff somewhere either with Ball St, IPFW, or JMU.  If we were to continue to play like this weekend shows we can, then 7-0 is a very real possibility...I'd rather be pleasantly surprised when it happens than disappointed if it doesn't. 

Valpofan00

6-1, I think we will loose to the Lobos at home.

Valpo2010

6-1...lose at E. Kentucky and bounce back with a close win at home over the Lobos

crusadermoe

Loss to the Lobos seems the obvious prediction and beating the others.     

What am I missing?    The ARC is a factor......but......

EddieCabot

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 30, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Remember that the Lobos aren't nearly as good this year and will be short-handed (or short-footed?) at the ARC.  Valpo will be favored in every game in December, but I voted 6-1 because it's still likely they might slip up one time with such a young team.

The other question is how many more wins will it take before Valpo cracks the top 25?  Also, is it too early to start wondering if they'll reach/exceed the school record for wins?

Valpofan00

Valpo won't be ranked this year, we don't face enough quality teams. Our schedule is weak...

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 30, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on November 30, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Remember that the Lobos aren't nearly as good this year and will be short-handed (or short-footed?) at the ARC.  Valpo will be favored in every game in December, but I voted 6-1 because it's still likely they might slip up one time with such a young team.

The other question is how many more wins will it take before Valpo cracks the top 25? Also, is it too early to start wondering if they'll reach/exceed the school record for wins?

IMO we won't know if this is going to be a "special" season until the 1st half of conference play is complete.  GB and CSU were picked ahead of us and Detroit will be very competitive, as well.  There's no question that we should be better than anyone originally thought, but so might GB or CSU or Detroit.  Will some of our key new guys like T. Walker and Skara hit the proverbial "freshman wall" at some point?  What if one of our key players suffers a major injury?  How will the new players adapt to the more physical playing style of the HL? 

So many questions, so few answers... ;)

WiscoCrusader

Valpo is up to #83 in the KenPom rankings today.

Regarding the top 25, I expect the Crusaders to get some votes this week (from 2 or 3 good voters paying attention to margin of victory), and 26 or 27 overall next week if we beat EKY and NM.  We would be 9-1 with some good wins.  That's got to be close.

classof2014

If we do get ranked we need to beat EKY and NM and both by decent margins of victory. Our road loss to a mediocre Missouri team hurts. If we do finish December with only 1 in the loss column we could be ranked depending on how the traditional powerhouses are looking.

It would be nice to see a number next to Valpo but it really doesn't matter. Win the HL and you're in no matter what. It was a fantastic first month and it seems that everyone has made major strides this season and the newcomers are performing at a high level. The only disappointment so far has been Jubril, he has been replaced by Darien. Great first month, hopefully we can have another outstanding week and really make some heads turn throughout the country.

78crusader

I'll say 3 December losses.  How can anyone pick us to beat New Mexico? It seems like every time we play a "name" program we get a case of the bright light jitters and wind up scoring something like 45 points.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on November 30, 2014, 05:59:44 PM
I'll say 3 December losses.  How can anyone pick us to beat New Mexico? It seems like every time we play a "name" program we get a case of the bright light jitters and wind up scoring something like 45 points.

Paul

You might be right, but, you also thought we would have a difficult time beating Drake!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on November 30, 2014, 06:16:21 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on November 30, 2014, 05:59:44 PM

Paul

You might be right, but, you also thought we would have a difficult time beating Drake!  ;)

Yes, what vu72 said :).  This isn't Alford's UNM anymore.  They recently lost to USC at home by 12, which is a team that lost at home to Portland State, Akron, and Penn State.  We have a very good chance of beating them at home, regardless of our traditional 'freezing up' against name programs.  With a top player also out for UNM, it only makes it more likely.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/167/new-mexico-lobos
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

I'll be at the New Mexico game so I can't help but predict we'll go undefeated

VUfan

This team has learned to play defense and roles on offence. As long Mr. Peters leads this team can go far.  6-1  ;D

historyman

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on November 30, 2014, 05:47:22 PMValpo is up to #83 in the KenPom rankings today. Regarding the top 25, I expect the Crusaders to get some votes this week (from 2 or 3 good voters paying attention to margin of victory), and 26 or 27 overall next week if we beat EKY and NM.  We would be 9-1 with some good wins.  That's got to be close.

A big welcome to WiscoCrusader also. Have you been lurking like myself and BrentD07 did before posting for the first time?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: VUfan on November 30, 2014, 08:46:49 PMThis team has learned to play defense and roles on offence. As long Mr. Peters leads this team can go far.  6-1  ;D

If you watched the highlights of the Valpo/Murray game at the end of the first half you see Alec Peters with his arm on Keith Carter's shoulder talking to him and encouraging him as they walk off the court. That is the kind of leadership we will be getting from Alec both on and off the basketball court for another 2 plus years.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

I picked 6-1.  Would love to see 7-0, but this team is too young and we have not been a team in the past that could win all of the games we "should" win.  Would love to be wrong this year!