• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo (7-1) @ E. Kentucky (4-1), Wed. 12/03/14, 6:00 PM CT

Started by wh, December 01, 2014, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpofan00

swiftmutiny

valpotx

The big sell to Peters on coming to Valpo was that he was told that he would be replacing Rowdy from the start.  Now, consider that Smits is also being told the same thing regarding replacing Vashil, and we have a lot to look forward to over the rest of this season, as well as the following 2!
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Our WarrenNolan RPI went from 69 to 53 in the space of 15 minutes tonight.   New Mexico?   240+  and their game with NMSTate is on ESPN3 right now and State is ahead 17-10 at the under 12 media break in the first half.

talksalot

OH, So EKY's next game is Saturday against Kentucky.   Could that be a trap game for the 'cats?  They have a really good Texas team on Friday night with all of the ESPN hype... and a 22 hour turnaround before playing these guys.  THAT would help our ratings a whole lot.

a3uge

I think I saw more EKU points than Valpo's with that god awful stream, so it doesn't feel like we played much better.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on December 03, 2014, 08:28:05 PM
OH, So EKY's next game is Saturday against Kentucky.   Could that be a trap game for the 'cats?

No.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on December 03, 2014, 07:53:20 PM
Valpo 72-66!  Walden will look better on the stat sheet than the game indicated, because he made several garbage time shots.  Carter did a heck of a job on him all day, Peters is shooting lights-out, and Vashil is proving his doubters wrong ;).  Pretty cool to end EKU's 25 game non-conference home win streak too!

Chef, you asked at the end of the game who thought that Valpo would be 8-1 at this point in the year, and you can look TX's way :).

I believe 8-1 is the best record for all D-I teams in Indiana.  Wow!

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on December 03, 2014, 08:28:26 PMI think I saw more EKU points than Valpo's with that god awful stream, so it doesn't feel like we played much better.

Really? I didn't have any issues at all.

Just kidding!

It did seem like the streaming froze up whenever Valpo had the ball. It was good to see that Tavonn hit those important three point shots but it also would have been nice to see Tavonn actually make the shots.   ;)

Anyone else have issues with the stream freezing?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

And that puts a wrap on the Bracketbuster....
Looking back over the 18 games we've played in that series...

team            season          L/W   Score    Game #    Site    Running Record
Butler        2004-05   Loss   72-69    1    away           0 - 1
Niagara        2005-06   Win   88-82    1    home      1 - 1
Niagara        2006-07   Win   70-58    2    away     2 - 1
Butler        2006-07   Loss   60-47    2    home    2 - 2
Western Mich   2006-07   Loss (ot)   89-80    1    away   2 - 3
Miami (OH)   2007-08   Win (2ot)   99-94    1    home   3 - 3
Western Mich   2007-08   Win   77-65    2    home   4 - 3
Akron        2008-09   Win   74-66    1    home   5 - 3
Miami (OH)   2008-09   Loss   62-50    2    away   5 - 4
Bowling Green   2009-10   Loss   87-70    1    away   5 - 5
Akron        2009-10   Loss   77-57    2    away   5 - 6
Missouri State   2010-11   Win   80-67    1    home   6 - 6
Bowling Green   2011-12   Win   82-79    2    home   7 - 6
Loyola - Marymount   2011-12   Loss   61-53    1    away   7 - 7
Missouri State   2012-13   Win   62-54    2    away   8 – 7
Eastern Kentucky   2013-13   Win   82-60    1    home   9 – 7
Loyola - Marymount   2013-14   Win   80-73    2    home   10-7
Eastern Kentucky   2014-15   Win   72-66    2    Away   11-7

So... 5-4 in the "February Conference Interruptions"... and 6-3 in the rematch.

classof2014

Nice win, it was nice to see some adversity in this game. Going down after being up big and the first 10 of the second half was back and forth. EKY seems to be a pretty decent team and to beat them on their own court is always big. The sky seems to be the limit, the athleticism of this team can match with the best.

This was Vashil's best offensive output, 6-6 and made some really nice shots as well!

Too bad Alec couldn't get some of his 2 point tries to fall in the first half, if he had he could've been in the thirties and not just settle for 21!

Looking forward to Saturday!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: historyman on December 03, 2014, 08:38:21 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 03, 2014, 08:28:26 PMI think I saw more EKU points than Valpo's with that god awful stream, so it doesn't feel like we played much better.
Really? I didn't have any issues at all. Just kidding! It did seem like the streaming froze up whenever Valpo had the ball. It was good to see that Tavonn hit those important three point shots but it also would have been nice to see Tavonn actually make the shots.   ;) Anyone else have issues with the stream freezing?

Sure did here. Paul Oren mentioned having trouble with it on Twitter, and mentioned gratitude for HLN while he was at it. I guess the OVC feed was better than nothing, or a paid site.
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

I was leading a Bible study so couldn't watch the game.  In fact, the only game I've seen any part of live was against Mizzou...looks like I won't be watching any more games live this year!  I'll take one for the team.  It's better for everyone in my house anyway if I already know the result when watching a basketball game.  Go Valpo Go!

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on December 03, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
I think I saw more EKU points than Valpo's with that god awful stream, so it doesn't feel like we played much better.
Glad to hear that someone else was having issues.  Since I have a 50 mbps connection I thought maybe I was having some other problems.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 03, 2014, 08:26:42 PMand their game with NMSTate is on ESPN3 right now and State is ahead 17-10 at the under 12 media break in the first half.

New Mexico came back to win 62-47 over the Aggies of NM State. These games against the Lobos are huge for NMST because they really should win the WAC conference tournament easily. The other WAC members are CSU-Bakersfield, Chicago St., Grand Canyon, UMKC, Seattle, UT-Pan American and Utah Valley. If I was New Mexico State I would have found a new conference by now. I'm sure their location does hurt them in finding a new conference.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2014, 10:17:20 PM
Quote from: talksalot on December 03, 2014, 08:26:42 PMand their game with NMSTate is on ESPN3 right now and State is ahead 17-10 at the under 12 media break in the first half.
New Mexico came back to win 62-47 over the Aggies of NM State. These games against the Lobos are huge for NMST because they really should win the WAC conference tournament easily. The other WAC members are CSU-Bakersfield, Chicago St., Grand Canyon, UMKC, Seattle, UT-Pan American and Utah Valley. If I was New Mexico State I would have found a new conference by now. I'm sure their location does hurt them in finding a new conference.

I don't know, UMKC beat Mizzou when Valpo couldn't... ;)
#CrusadersForever

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2014, 10:17:20 PM

I also had trouble with the stream, and it seemed to only come at key moments in the game!!

NMSU and Idaho both tried to find other conferences, even approaching their former Sun Belt Conference.  Nobody would have them, as the Sun Belt is actually more stabilized/localized than in years' past.

Vashil had some pretty nifty offensive moves demonstrated today.  They weren't quickly performed, but were very effective.  If he can perfect some of those, as well as keep holding onto the ball on alley-oops and high/low passes, he will have positioned himself very well to have a good European basketball career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

"Obviously, Alec Peters is a high-level player," Neubauer said. "I think offensively, he's one of those matchups that's really impossible. He really knows how to score the ball, rebound the ball and he shoots threes. We got to him several times and contested, but he's 6-foot-9 and he just shoots it as smooth as can be."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on December 04, 2014, 12:14:08 AMI also had trouble with the stream
you might have a talk with your doctor, just man to man.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

If we win the rest of our games in December what are our chances of being ranked top 25 in the nation?? Btw how is Eastern Kentucky not ranked top 25 Mid-Major? Solid team!

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 04, 2014, 12:14:08 AMVashil had some pretty nifty offensive moves demonstrated today.  They weren't quickly performed, but were very effective.  If he can perfect some of those, as well as keep holding onto the ball on alley-oops and high/low passes, he will have positioned himself very well to have a good European basketball career.

I think the big key for Vashil during those offensive moves is that he didn't dribble the ball. He kept his head up and made the plays. When you are Vashil's size you don't give the opposing players the opportunity to knock the ball away when you make slow deliberate moves that eventually put you in a position to flip the ball in the basket.

classof2014

That was a fun game to watch, the defense of Valpo is incredibly stingy and they had nothing below the basket and had to attempt 3's, 37 to be exact! Our 8 man rotation I think is set in stone for the season and it seems to be working. The least effective player has been Jubril but he did have a decent night last night which is promising.

KC is starting to show why he was so highly touted when he was recruited by the late Rick Majerus, 7 assists, shut down defender, and can score when need be. Took him a game or two to get going but he has been great over this recent stretch.

Tevonn, showing why he was ranked top 10 in Canada. One thing he has that most freshmen don't is his ability to defend, both he and KC are probably the best defensive backcourt in the league.

Vashil, last season was no fluke, he is a monster in the paint and basically takes away the other teams big. Had a great night offensively as well with a couple of nice moves around the basket. Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble since he does us no good sitting on the bench but other than that he has been strong and confident.

Skara, the biggest surprise of the season. Had 9 boards last night, can make 3's, good FT shooter, and good around the basket. Remind you of a certain Aussie? Not bad for a freshman that I thought would be one of Bryce's reserves.

EVN, nice to see him get more minutes and brings tons of energy. He can shoot the 3 ball as well as make FTs, seems to be getting better day by day but still has a bit to go. Not bad for somebody who couldn't play for over a year.

Jubril, lost his starting job but still sees time off the bench. Had a good game last night, hopefully that's a sign for things to come. He can add another dimension if he can start finishing below the basket.

Darien, another surprise. Reminds me a bit of LVD, just another Chicago kid who is very athletic. Seems to be a streaky 3 point shooter, has games where he can go 20+ then next game be around 10, still not bad. Would like to see his FT numbers improve since last night they seemed to foul  him and he did miss down the stretch.

Alec, he has been GREAT so far. Very versatile, 7-8 from deep yesterday, he can post up. He's 6' 9". He's only a sophomore. I was expecting big things from Alec but didn't expect him to be this good!

Out of those 8 players only 1 is a senior, this team can be very special in the next few seasons. I know it's early but we've taken down some very good mid-majors in convincing fashion. Bryce is an amazing coach, knows how to gameplan, make in game adjustments, he's also a terrific recruiter. Able to find quality players, and quality kids to come to Valpo. And next season he has one of the top centers in the country to fill the role of Vashil. I like where this team is headed!

Beat the Lobos on Saturday!

Smj

classof2014,

If you are going to write a book you might need a publisher...

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show