• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rest in Peace - Dave Hildebrand "The V Man"

Started by talksalot, December 02, 2014, 12:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Dave ~~Throwing the "V"s~~ Hildebrand ('66) passed away yesterday, (12/1).  Arrangements are pending through Moeller Funeral Home.   I understand he was active in the VU Pep-Marching Band.  Thoughts and prayers are with Pat and the Hildebrand Family....

Donjon VU07

Great man. 
Anyone still hanging on to their Dave Hilldebrand caricature "Valpo Victory" shirts, circa . . . 2005ish?

a3uge

I actually have one in my possession.

Sad news though.

valporun

I will always remember looking over to the chairbacks, and finding Dave with his V's out during the fight song. At first, I thought it was weird/strange, but I enjoyed looking for him every time.

wh

I never met Dave, but I've seen the "flying V's" in action over many years.  Many times while watching pre game warmups, we would hear a sudden roar from the student section, only to look over and see Dave leading the students in a cheer with his "flying V's."  When he was done he would give the students a big thumbs-up and head over to his seat to a big round of applause.  He was obviously a guy who knew how to have fun and raise the spirits of others around him. People like Dave are few and far between and will always be missed. 

koala

We had the pleasure of meeting him a real character, VU just won't be the same.   RIP Dave, you made watching the games so much more fun.   Our thoughts are with his family.

valpopal

humbleopinion

Visitation at Immanuel on Thursday, Dec 4 from 3-7pm.
Funeral at 2:00 on Friday at Immanuel Lutheran in Valpo.

I remember Dave sitting behind the Valpo bench in Hilltop gym back in the late 60's or early 70's.  He was memorable for his wild gesticulating when he disagreed with a call even back then.

A great guy and the epitome of a fan for both the men's and women's teams. 
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

It was very sad to see this update on Facebook earlier today.  I didn't know the guy, but I think any Valpo fan over the last few decades felt that they 'knew' the guy.  I remember wondering what the heck he was doing during my FR year, and then finding myself watching what he was doing every game thereafter.  You will be missed, 'V-man!'
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Wally McCormack. Neal Boyer. Dick Harlan. Dave Hildebrand.

"The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students, our teachers, our parents and our friends. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight."

Smj

I think the game announcer (sorry - don't know his name) choked up a bit when he asked for a moment of silence in the game yesterday....

valpopal

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on December 07, 2014, 09:43:29 AM
I think the game announcer (sorry - don't know his name) choked up a bit when he asked for a moment of silence in the game yesterday....

I'm sure talksalot will soon tell you how tough that moment was. I was right there with you, talksalot. Only nobody was witnessing me do it in my living room.

BTW, Kentucky is stomping all over Eastern Kentucky.

talksalot

Quote from: Smj on December 07, 2014, 09:43:29 AM

That would be me... and yes... Dave (and Pat) and I have been friends for over 30 years...tough to attend the funeral.   In case you didn't hear; the VU crusader pep band performed at his funeral (Dave's request) to have the Fight Song... several people in attendance threw some "V"s during the recessional.    Damn right I got emotional.