• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Please A New Thread Who Trinity Int'l That's a Thing OK Then 12/10 7PM

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, December 08, 2014, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I hereby declare the previous thread to be Olde Mexico.

Let's discuss Tertullian, who I believe is the founder of Trinity International, and such here.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Trinity International runs a tricky defense that looks like a man-to-man but is also simultaneously a 1-3-1 zone.

Obviously they run the triangle offense, and...

...ok i'm done.

for now.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 08, 2014, 10:19:34 PMTrinity International runs a tricky defense that looks like a man-to-man but is also simultaneously a 1-3-1 zone. Obviously they run the triangle offense, and... ...ok i'm done. for now.
Yes, they on occasion run a triangle offense but with a flair for the international basketball rough style of play? Many times the big centers (if you can call them that) do a lot of banging with like-sized opponents. In Trin Int'l's case it means with Valpo's guards.  ;)

Do they call time out at the 10 minute mark of each half so they can call it the 2nd & 4th quarters? Do they stand on the edge of a trapazoid 3 second zone/lane for free throws?

Aha! FIBA rules don't have a trapazoid lane anymore!!!!!   :o

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2010/OfficialBasketballRules2010.pdf

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Perhaps Bill Hybels from Willow Creek Church, a Trinity Int'l Anum, can conduct a mini Global Leadership Summit at halftime!

http://www.willowcreek.com/events/leadership/

Anyway, I would rather see Valpo face more local competition like DePaul, Loyola, Ball State, Butler or Evansville than face ham and eggers in December.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 09, 2014, 06:13:21 AMAnyway, I would rather see Valpo face more local competition like DePaul, Loyola, Ball State, Butler or Evansville than face ham and eggers in December.

Again. Again. Again.

I don't remember who started the metaphor but if you are only attractive to yourself nobody is going to date you. Why play at the ARC? Why play Valpo when you can beat a Loyola or UIC or Chicago State or Ball State or IUPUI in the same area or state?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

SanityLost17

Since the Horizon league does not distinguish between D1, D2, D3, or NAIA competition when giving weekly awards; perhaps this is a good week to win by 40, not improve at all as a team, and collect some weekly honors so that we can feel good about ourselves in the process!  *Sigh*

covufan

Quote from: historyman on December 09, 2014, 07:51:46 AMI don't remember who started the metaphor but if you are only attractive to yourself nobody is going to date you.
He who has a date with Rosey Palm, has no date at all.

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 09, 2014, 06:13:21 AMAnyway, I would rather see Valpo face more local competition like DePaul, Loyola, Ball State, Butler or Evansville than face ham and eggers in December.
I think we all would.  The trouble is getting them scheduled.  I would like to believe that like minded institutions that believe in the student-athlete and keeping them in class as much as possible would welcome the home-and-home series that is just short drive away.  This logic somehow does not compute with those that "do not want to lose be embarrassed by a school like Valpo.  I would think that DePaul and Evansville are no longer elite enough to still have these feelings, but getting them to commit to home-and-homes just hasn't happened. 

I'd also like see more home-and-homes with MAC, OVC and MVC schools, even a double header in a location where all teams have a fair number of alumni. 

covufan

I think that some players will be padding their playing minutes, while others practice their cheering.  When in the game, each player needs to take each minute, shot and defensive situation seriously - not even thinking about the score.

Valpo   102
Trinity    49

valpo4life

We should win in a blowout, and normally I would complain about this type of game on the schedule. But after our performance against New Mexico I believe this is needed to regain a little confidence. Especially for guys like Darien or Jubril. Seeing the ball go into the basket a couple more times in a game like this can bust anyone out of a mini slump. Good game for us to take what was worked on in practice and take it to the court as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

classof2014

Good game to have on the schedule after such a dismal performance. Time to regain the swagger!

talksalot

Here's the TIU roster
1  Tommie Ramsey  Sr.  G 6-0 185 Chicago, Ill. / Black Hawk East CC
3  Justin Peeples  Sr.  G 6-0 180 Chicago, Ill. / Timothy Christian HS  <<Starter>>
4  Josh Markum  Jr.  G 6-0 180 Mission Viejo, Calif. / Saddleback Christian HS
5  Sean Smith  So.  G 6-0 190 LaGrange, Ill. / Homeschool
10  Dillon Wadsack  Sr.  G 6-1 190 San Antonio, Tex. / Ramstein HS
15  David Chatman  Jr.  F 6-4 200 Chicago, Ill. / Kishwaukee CC  <<starter>>
21  Joshua Ajayi  Fr.  G 6-1 175 Beltsville, Md. / Montrose Christian HS <<starter>>
22  James Glass  Jr.  F/C 6-7 205 Archamps, France / Valencia HS (Calif.)   <<starter>>
23  Thomas Amrine  So.  G 6-1 180 Ramstein, Germany / Ramstein HS
32  Deon Garrett  So.  F 6-5 240 Chicago, Ill. / Ventura College
33  Paul Badgley  Sr.  F 6-4 195 Rushville, Ind. / North Decatur HS
34  Nate Ball  Sr.  C 6-7 210 Galena, Ill. / Tri-State Christian HS   <<Starter>>
45  Sam Salem  Sr.  G/F 6-4 190 Maple Grove, Minn. / Maple Grove HS

and here's the link to their season statistics through their 1-9 start (the two games in Fairbanks Alaska were exhibition games)... they've lost 9 straight.

http://tiutrojans.com/custompages/stats/basketball_m/2014-15/teamcume.htm

LaPorteAveApostle

vu72

Let me just guess that Vashil will set a new single game record for blocks.  I'll think of other records to fall...give me a few more minutes
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

LaPorteAveApostle

He already part-shares the old one (with the Moose) -- 7.  Vashil's was against UIC and Moussa's against Oakland 8 days later. 

Btw, Vashil up to 96 now.  Whoops better update the record thread.

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

usc4valpo

I think Valpo could get a home and home with Northwestern or DePaul. Both programs suck and I think it would get a decent Chicagoland following.  They have not faced each other since 1979 and 1980, respectively.

valpotx

I doubt that NW or DePaul want a home and home with Valpo, or really even a single game at their place.  It would only hurt their recruiting to lose to us.
"Don't mess with Texas"