• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

anybody else looking forward to Thursday January 8th?   Flames Visit the ARC

Smj

We better shut him down. ...   Every weakness the coaching staff knows should be exploited.    (outside of us playing him - hope he had a good year. )

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on December 12, 2014, 03:46:24 PM
We better shut him down. ...   Every weakness the coaching staff knows should be exploited.    (outside of us playing him - hope he had a good year. )

Jay's problem is he doesn't allow himself to play enough. Transferring and behavioral issues have cut him down way too much. He'll probably get in trouble again the night before UIC's first Valpo game. (Jan.8 & Jan.31)

valpotx

Just let him shoot from half court, like he did at Valpo...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Maybe not (4-9) -- and don't foul him. 

FG       3PT       FT      PTS     MIN
HARRIS, Jay g     9-16     4-9     10-12      32      35

historyman

Quote from: historyman on November 17, 2014, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 17, 2014, 02:07:19 PMBethel's Clay Yeo Earns Crossroads League Player of the Week Looks like he's doing well as the big fish. Also when did valpopal start doing graphics for other schools?
I'm wondering if Greg Tonagel and his National Champion Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats will find some way to shut down Yeo at Bethel on Nov. 25, next Tue. or Jan. 24 in Marion. By the way, Bethel plays IU-S.Bend at IU-SB tomorrow, Tue, at 7:00 p.m. EDT (Bethel has radio coverage  http://www.audiosportsonline.net/2014winter/bethel/)

Indiana Wesleyan knocked off Bethel for the Pilots only loss of the season so far. Yeo had 22 points while Schauss had 25. Final score 78-73 in Mishawaka.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

I don't think I recall seeing this very "newsy" interview with Dan Oppland from Sept.:

https://germanhoops.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/dan-opplandrent4office-basketball-is-at-a-very-high-level-in-germany-so-i-have-always-wanted-to-come-back/

Dan certainly has had a terrific professional career - and still going strong at 30.

talksalot

Thanks wh... great article... and what a great interview with Dan.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Saw Rob Cavanaugh down here with his whole family in tow (all five, although I was shocked to find the eldest is a HS jr, considering she had just finished 2nd grade when I left Valpo) today, visiting his parents.

Made sure his sons are learning the Valpo Free Throw : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Greg Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats lost their first game of the season at Marian U in Indy, 78-72 on Jan. 3rd, Saturday. It was the former Valpo player coaching against the former Butler coach, Todd Lickliter. I hate to see a Valpo guy lose to a Butler guy in any game!

Currently the IWU Wildcats are 16-1 after rebounding for a win against Huntington U of Huntington, IN on Tuesday, Jan. 6th.

The Wildcats kept their hold on the #1 ranking in NAIA Div.II after the loss to Marian.

<a href="http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/indiana-wesleyan-s--game-winning-streak-snapped/article_0a508f47-6035-5412-9b65-31d44dfac4a8.html">Indiana Wesleyan's 20-game winning streak snapped</a>

agibson

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2015, 10:45:48 PM
Lickliter? NAIA?  Huh?

<a href="http://www.muknights.com/coach/0/1.php">Todd Lickliter--Marian University Indianapolis head men's basketball coach</a>

Lickliter came to Marian University from the Miami University (Ohio) where he served as an assistant coach. Prior to Miami, Lickliter amassed a 169-119 career record as a head coach at the University of Iowa (2007-10) and Butler University (2001-07). He also served two stints as assistant coach at Butler (1988-89 and 1999-2001) and a stint as an assistant coach at Eastern Michigan University (1997-99).

In three seasons at the University of Iowa, Lickliter went 38-58 (.396) with the Hawkeyes before working in 2011-12 season with Charlie Coles at Miami University (Ohio).

In six seasons at Butler, Lickliter earned a 131-61 (.682) record and led the Bulldogs to four post-season basketball tournament berths, including trips to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2003 and 2007. He was named the 2006-07 Division I Coach of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and was recognized as the High-Major Coach of the Year by collegehoops.net. He was also named 2007 Horizon League Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year after guiding the Bulldogs to a school and league-record 29 victories.

He led Butler to the regular season championship in the Horizon League in 2007. The Bulldogs advanced to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament before falling to eventual national champion Florida (65-57). Butler, in 2008, repeated as Horizon League champions.

In posting a 29-7 record in 2006-07 Butler led the nation in fewest turnovers per game (9.5), ranked fifth in scoring defense (57.1), seventh in free throw percentage (76%), 13th in won-loss percentage (.806), 17th in scoring margin (10.5) and 20th in three-point field goals per game (8.9).

Butler was ranked in the national top 25 for 16 consecutive weeks during the 2006-07 season and became the first team in the history of the Horizon League to be ranked in the top 10. The Bulldogs won three games over top 25 opponents (Tennessee, Gonzaga, Maryland) and recorded eight victories over teams that participated in the NCAA Tournament.

Butler averaged 22 wins in six seasons under Lickliter, winning league titles in 2002, 2003 and 2007. The Bulldogs won four in-season tournaments, including the 2006 NIT Season Tip-Off and the 2006 Wooden Classic.

Along with winning at least 20 games in four of six seasons at Butler, Lickliter's student-athletes also excelled in the classroom. Butler's graduation rate of 82% for men's basketball in Lickliter's final season ranked best among all Sweet Sixteen teams in the 2007 NCAA Tournament. Butler also held the top graduation rate among NCAA Sweet Sixteen teams when the Bulldogs advanced past Mississippi State and Louisville in the 2003 NCAA Tournament.

Lickliter's 2006-07 team captured the Midwest Region title of the NIT Season Tip-Off with back-to-back victories over Notre Dame and Indiana. The Bulldogs continued their roll in New York, defeating 22nd-ranked Tennessee and 23rd-ranked Gonzaga to capture the pre-season NIT.

The Bulldogs began the 2006-07 season with 10 straight victories, including a triumph over Purdue in the Wooden Tradition. The 10 wins matched the second-fastest start in school history and the fifth-longest winning streak in school annals. Butler cracked the "Top 25" on Nov. 27 and was nationally-ranked for a school and league record 16 consecutive weeks. Lickliter's club became the first team in Horizon League history to break into the nation's "Top 10" on Feb. 5.

At mid-season Lickliter was named the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year, presented by Collegeinsider.com. He also earned the mid-season Hugh Durham Award, which at mid-season recognizes the top coach at the mid-major level.

The 2006-07 Bulldogs became the first team in league history to record 20 wins before February and the first Horizon League team to win 26 regular season games. Butler had three wins over teams that were ranked in the "Top 25" and eight victories over squads that advanced to the NCAA Tournament.

Lickliter became the first coach in Horizon League history to be honored by the NABC as Coach of the Year. He owns three of the top single-season win totals in Butler history, including 29 wins in 2007, 26 in 2002 and 27 in 2003. The Bulldogs also won 20 games in 2004.

Lickliter ranks fourth on Butler's all-time list for basketball coaching victories. He ranks second among Butler head coaches with at least three seasons in winning percentage (.682) and second in number of 20-win seasons (four). He became the first Butler coach to reach 50 career wins in just two seasons and the first to achieve 100 victories in five seasons. And, he's one of just four coaches in the history of the Horizon League to guide a team to the NCAA "Sweet Sixteen".

Lickliter led the Bulldogs to an unbeaten home record (12-0) in 2002-03, and mentored Butler to a 70-12 (.854) home mark in his six seasons. Lickliter also directed Butler to 61 victories away from Hinkle Fieldhouse. His Bulldog teams were 6-5 against teams ranked in the "Top 25" in the nation.

In 2005-06, Butler's men's basketball program earned the Horizon League Outreach Award, compiling the highest number of community service hours among all teams at Butler University. In his six seasons as the head coach at Butler, 19 of 20 seniors earned their degree.

In his first season as Butler's head coach, Lickliter guided the Bulldogs to a then school-record 26 victories and a third consecutive Horizon League regular season title. He led Butler to regular season tournament championships at the Top of the World Classic in Alaska and Indiana's Hoosier Classic. The win at the Top of the World Classic marked Butler's first regular season tournament title in 41 years. The victory at the Hoosier Classic ended Indiana's streak of 19 consecutive titles in the 20-year history of the event.

Lickliter was the first basketball coach in Butler history to win his first 13 games, and he became the first coach to lead Butler to more than 20 regular season wins. He set school and conference records for most wins by a first-year coach, and he led the Bulldogs to the third-highest single season win total in league history. He had Butler ranked in the "Top 25" for the first time in 53 years, and guided the Bulldogs to their first-ever unbeaten non-conference record.

Lickliter guided the 2003 Bulldogs to an even more impressive season in his second year. He led Butler to a 27-6 record, breaking the single-season mark for victories for a second consecutive year. His squad earned a second straight Horizon League regular season title and returned to post-season play for the second consecutive year. Butler earned its first "at-large" bid to the NCAA Tournament since 1962, and the Bulldogs went on to reach the Sweet Sixteen with upset victories over fifth-seeded Mississippi State and fourth-seeded Louisville.

Lickliter began his collegiate coaching career at Butler in 1988-89 under Joe Sexson, his former college coach. He left Butler after one year to accept a head coaching job at Danville Community High School, where he remained for three seasons. He returned to the collegiate ranks in 1996 as an administrative assistant on Collier's staff at Butler. Lickliter accepted an assistant coaching position at Eastern Michigan in 1997 and remained on the Eagles' staff for two seasons before returning to Butler in 1999. In six Division I seasons, he contributed to teams that won three conference regular season championships, four conference tournament titles, made four NCAA Tournament appearances, and compiled a 106-73 record.

In addition to his collegiate coaching experience, Lickliter had high school head coaching stints at Park Tudor High School in Indianapolis (1979-87) and Danville High School (1987-88, 1989-92). He also coached a partial season in Saudi Arabia with the Ah Ahli Sports Club-Jeddah.

Lickliter has had a presence in Indiana basketball dating back to his days as a three-year starting guard at North Central High School in Indianapolis, where he played for his father, Arlan. He began his college career at North Carolina-Wilmington before transferring to Central Florida Community College. He played one season at Central Florida, earning his associate degree in 1977, and then transferred to Butler, where he played his final two collegiate seasons, 1977-79. He earned a bachelor's degree in secondary education from Butler in 1979.

Lickliter was born April 17, 1955. He and his wife, Joez, have three sons, Ry, Garrett and John, and a daughter-in-law, Molly. Ry graduated from Marian University in 2006 and Garrett graduated in 2007. John serves as an assistant coach with the MU program.

That is quite a history for an NAIA coach. I wonder how many NAIA coaches have coached a Big Six school (Iowa in the B1G). You can see that the Lickliter family has quite a history with Marian University so it made sense for Todd to end up coaching there.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Too funny.....   I just joked in another thread because I thought my post was too long and then I came to this thread and saw this. ..      Actually LOL.

wh

I enjoy reading every post from both of you. Oh, and we're 16-3; aren't we supposed to be having fun?  ;)

valpopal

[tweet]555752153529462784[/tweet]

covufan

agibson

That's fantastic news!  It seemed like, for a while, he was getting a lot of playing time in European competition but not much in the Turkish league - maybe something to do with restrictions on the number of non-Turks that could appear.  And, I'd noticed more recently that it seems like he was a regular starter even for the domestic stuff.

But, I didn't see this coming (OK - I'm not following _so_ closely), really terrific news!

Hopefully they can turn it around in the European competition.  They're through to the 2nd stage, but got off to a bad start (against a Turkish opponent, actually).

agibson

Anybody know the details from Turkey? How the European vs. Asian teams are split up, how the voting works, that sort of thing? I wonder if he could have gotten an international assist on the voting;not that he needed it!

Looks like his club coach is coaching.

koala

agibson, Google Turkish Basketball League and you should be able to find out some news on it.   

The teams are picked as to where the teams are situated either on the European side of Turkey or the Asian side. 

The fans vote for the players they want to play in the game and for Ryan to be chosen is a huge honor being he is from the Southern Hemisphere and only into his second year in the league.   He is definitely a fan favorite which is fantastic  :)

The game is this Sunday so it should be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Thanks for still remembering him  :thumbsup:

FWalum

Quote from: koala on January 15, 2015, 08:18:52 PMThanks for still remembering him 
How could we forget! Congratulations!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

nkvu

Quote from: koala on January 15, 2015, 08:18:52 PM
agibson, Google Turkish Basketball League and you should be able to find out some news on it.   

The teams are picked as to where the teams are situated either on the European side of Turkey or the Asian side. 

The fans vote for the players they want to play in the game and for Ryan to be chosen is a huge honor being he is from the Southern Hemisphere and only into his second year in the league.   He is definitely a fan favorite which is fantastic  :)

The game is this Sunday so it should be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Thanks for still remembering him  :thumbsup:

Koala, we'll always "barrack" hard for Rowdy wherever he plays!  ;)

wh

Koala - As Valpo basketball addicts, we could never forget one of the top 2 or 3 players to ever don a Valpo uniform.  You never forget a player that leads you to 2 HL championships and a return to the NCAA tourney after a several year absence, who won the leave MVP award (and should have won 2), and who hit the 2nd biggest shot in Valpo basketball history.  At our last home game my 5th grade grandson asked me if anyone on the team wears a mouth guard.  After giving it a little thought I said I don't think so.  He said, "Well, Ryan Broekhoff always did."   :)   

koala

Thank you wh that's really nice to know.   None of us will ever forget Valpo either and we still keep an eye on how the team is going  :thumbsup:   

Tell your gorgeous grandson that Ryan still wears his mouth guard to protect his mouth and teeth.   He listens to his mum who always worries about errant elbows  :o