• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 29, 2013, 10:17:25 PM
Didn't see who was on campus today, but will look into it. Apparently, PG Nick Rogers (2015) will be visiting Valpo on Wednesday. This is a good week for visits because it is the last full week of classes and coaches want recruits to see the atmosphere with students in attendance and players on campus.

An amazing story about Nick Rogers:

Pike player almost all the way back after losing fingertips

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/story/2012-02-13/Pike-guard-recovers-from-mower-accident/53080548/1

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

Ryan Fazekas:  6'7" Small Forward, Marquette Catholic H.S.

Offers:  Valparaiso, Illinois-Chicago

Interest:  Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Xavier

Very good size for a kid who can play on the perimeter.  Ryan can really shoot the ball, and his size lets him get his shot off over just about anyone.  Over the course of the summer he continued to add other dimensions to his game including improving his ball handling and skills down low.  He also may not be done growing.

Fazekas today has an added offer from Providence.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2013, 10:45:41 PMAn amazing story about Nick Rogers
Um...I read that article at TVAS (Tanner Vavra Article Speed, ~= 100 words per second) but I got the gist or at least more than I wanted to.

Wow.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 30, 2013, 01:38:39 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

Ryan Fazekas:  6'7" Small Forward, Marquette Catholic H.S.

Offers:  Valparaiso, Illinois-Chicago

Interest:  Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Xavier

Very good size for a kid who can play on the perimeter.  Ryan can really shoot the ball, and his size lets him get his shot off over just about anyone.  Over the course of the summer he continued to add other dimensions to his game including improving his ball handling and skills down low.  He also may not be done growing.

Fazekas today has an added offer from Providence.

Providence seems to be going after possible Valpo recruits. Apparently, Matt Holba also got an offer from Providence last night as well to go with his one from VU.

Matt Holba:  6'6" Power Forward, Chesterton H.S.

Offers:  Valparaiso

Interest:  Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue

Matt is a great athlete who can really jump.  Also has very good length.  I could see him growing some more still and becoming a big time threat on the low block.  Right now he is at his best when running the floor and using his athleticism and ball handling ability to get to the rim.  Nice athletic "4″ man prospect.

valpopal

From Twitter today:

Matt Holba's father, Tom, said that Valpo was at every game the last two weeks.

valpopal

Word is that Coach Powell is working on recruiting Aaron Jordan of Plainfield East in Illinois. Jordan will be making an unofficial visit to campus.

valpotx

It really surprises me that Powell is not being offered another job at a larger school this offseason.  I guess it is still early and can happen, but it seems that he and Bryce are good to go for next season. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 01, 2013, 12:30:56 PM
It really surprises me that Powell is not being offered another job at a larger school this offseason.  I guess it is still early and can happen, but it seems that he and Bryce are good to go for next season. 

Powell has been an asst coach for a total of two years.  I just think its a matter of experience before bigger programs would want to hire him away as an asst coach.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

2 years or not, other programs must have seen some of the guys that Valpo is picking up from the Midwest.  Just as in the business world, years of experience don't always equate to knowledge :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 01, 2013, 12:30:56 PMIt really surprises me that Powell is not being offered another job at a larger school this offseason.  I guess it is still early and can happen, but it seems that he and Bryce are good to go for next season. 
YOU FOOL WE NEED TO REVERSE JINX THIS STATEMENT IMMEDIATELY

The Office- Season 4- Michael- Superstitious
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

From Kyle Neddenriep of the Indy Star:

Kyle Neddenriep ‏@KyleNeddenriep  34m 

Traders Point guard Nick Rogers (2015) picked up an offer from Valparaiso last night while on unofficial visit.

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2013, 08:52:54 PMHolba said he consistently talks with the Michigan coaching staff over the phone or through text massaging.
I just noticed this in reviewing my earlier post (to make sure that the upcoming one is consistent).

I did not change an iota.

Simply cut and pasted.

But I'm pretty sure that would not only be a violation of NCAA regulations, but possibly also state and federal law.

Also, ewwww.

LaPorteAveApostle

Nick Rogers, ladies and gentlemen.

6'0", 165 PG from the Naptown (Bretton Woods). 
Plays for Traders Point Christian (Whitestown, IN); originally played at Indianapolis Pike. 
AAU:  Grassroots.

Wait that sounds familiar...how do I know Traders Point?  http://www.ihigh.com/centralindiana/article_153046.html
QuoteAfter playing the first season with a roster supplemented by seventh- and eighth-graders, the Eagles are now a program that has won back-to-back Indiana Christian School State championships.
yeah, and...?
He played with Milos Kostic.  The dude who left Bishop Noll, transferred to Traders Point, committed to Northwestern, decommitted, lathered, rinsed, repeated...
OK, that's it.  Whatever happened to him, btw?  Look, we're talking about Nick Rogers.
Actually we were talking about Traders Point. 
Ah yes, as in "they were denied entry to the IHSAA because they were thought to be a basketball mill and were surprised about it".
That's where the Palombizio kid is playing next year, right?  noddingslowly.gif

rocking the high-top fade
Soph year:  10-2 from games I can track down (lost to LaLumiere).

Freshman year played for Pike JV.  Posts own stats (caveat lector): http://new.berecruited.com/athletes/906512

Something you should know about him, although it doesn't define him (just his character!):
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/story/2012-02-13/Pike-guard-recovers-from-mower-accident/53080548/1
The conclusion:
QuoteNick would undo it if he could. He should have been paying closer attention that day instead of thinking about the new video game. But it's also part of who he is now.

And he is comfortable with that.

"When I watch ESPN Classic or other shows, these other players always have stories," he said. "This can be my story. If I work hard enough — and I will — I can still get to where I want to go."
It's stories like this that Coach Coffin used to scare us all to death with during Summer School Health and Safety class.  Kudos to the young man for rising above and becoming part of what he calls #teamambidextrous.

Highlights
Nick Rogers Highlight Mixtape
Clearly a talented kid, although the level of competition is a little suspect.  Makes nice dishes to European big man (cf. 2:54 but there are several), dunks with authority with his left hand (passim).  Interesting-looking shot, although given the above circumstance, no comment (except I'm piqued more by his jump than his hands).  At least it can be said from the looks of this (and every) highlight tape he never ever misses.  Call me old school, but even one "dunk in the layup lane" highlight is one too many for a highlight tape in my book.

I particularly like that he is not afraid to use the glass (cf. 1:48, but esp. the and-one circus at 2:07ff).  Splits defenders well (cf. 3:23), although level of competition caveat applies.  Particularly good at making defenders look stupid when they commit to going to the direction in which he is no longer going.  Block at 2:05 is world-class, and Trey Burke would like you to know that it is not a foul.  Clearly has range, and is good at just pulling up and shooting without telegraphing that he is, in fact, about to do so.

Entertaining to watch.

Somewhat dated stats (as in I'm sure they're even better now):
--36" vertical leap.
--78" wingspan
--195 bench

Offers
Kent State; Mississippi; Northern Illinois; Kennesaw St; and now US

Interest per http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Nick-Rogers-120821 and others
Georgetown, IPFW, Lehigh, Loyola (elite camp 2x), Mercer, Mississippi St, Notre Dame, Western Illinois, Wright State

Twitterzhttps://twitter.com/iAm_nick10
Didn't tweet about VU visit, but retweeted someone else's tweet about his offer...although, did the same for Kennesaw St.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on May 01, 2013, 11:50:49 AM
Word is that Coach Powell is working on recruiting Aaron Jordan of Plainfield East in Illinois. Jordan will be making an unofficial visit to campus.

Jordan will visit this weekend.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2013, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: valpopal on May 01, 2013, 11:50:49 AM

Jordan will visit this weekend.

As valpopal just mentioned regarding a visit by Aaron Jordan, I ran across an article on Illinois Prep Bulls-eye that talks about Aaron Jordan, his upcoming visits, and who is also recruiting him as of now. Sort of ironic that Coach Powell is recruiting him for Valpo, and he is also being recruited as well by the University of Illinois, where Coach Powell played his college ball.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Jordan_Player_Watch.html

Aaron Jordan Is Now On The Map After A Great Weekend At Derby City Classic

By Roy & Harv Schmidt
May 1, 2013
10:00 P.M. C.S.T.   

When one glances at the Illinois Celtics 16-Under roster one immediately realizes that the team is stacked with talent, as it sports at least four potential D1 recruits.  However, after watching them last weekend at the Derby City Classic in Louisville we have concluded that no player on the Celtics sports as much up side as 6'4 2015 2-guard Aaron Jordan from Plainfield East High School in Plainfield, IL.

While 6'5 2014 wing K.J. Santos from Geneva High School in Geneva, IL sat out the Derby City Classic with injured ribs and the rest of the team was plagued by inconsistency, Jordan was hands down the Celtics' most consistent player game in and game out.  And after turning in an outstanding weekend, we are completely sold on Jordan's ability.

Jordan is highly athletic and has a long wing span as well as a great motor.  And there is no question that he utilizes all of these attributes to his advantage.  Not only that, but he plays hard from start to finish.

Skill-wise, Jordan has the ability to get to the basket at will due to his considerable speed and strong upper body.  He also flourishes in the open court as the result of his excellent ball handling skills and the fact that he can repeatedly blow by defenders in one-on-one situations.  This greatly explains why Jordan is almost always in attack mode.

In addition to the aforementioned traits, Jordan also has tremendous scoring ability and is his mid-range game is especially effective.  Jordan is also quite capable of converting shots from beyond the 3-point arc although this is the one area where he still needs to show more consistency.

As far as Jordan's recruitment goes, he currently holds scholarship offers from Fairfield, Hampton and Illinois State with Redbirds head coach Dan Muller having offered after watching him in Louisville. Jordan is also planning upcoming campus visits to both Valparaiso and Illinois.  Crusaders assistant coach Roger Powell and Illini Associate Head Coach Dustin Ford both watched every game Jordan played at the Derby City Classic.

There is no question that Jordan has the makings of being a big-time college prospect.  And without meaning to scare those schools who have already offered, should Jordan continue to play the way he has over the course of the last month, we look for his stock to continue to go through the roof.

classof2014

I sure hope we can get Rogers, not just because he looks like he might be something special... but for the flat top! Next Norris Cole? Wouldn't mind that!

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on May 02, 2013, 12:54:52 PM
I sure hope we can get Rogers, not just because he looks like he might be something special... but for the flat top! Next Norris Cole? Wouldn't mind that!

Dammit you beat me to it.

zvillehaze

I believe Nick Rogers is playing AAU with the Eric Gordon Central Stars this year.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on May 02, 2013, 12:54:52 PMthe flat top
technically a hi-top fade, and the fact that you think Norris Cole where I think "Kid n'Play"!! means that you are like half my age.

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 02, 2013, 04:04:41 PMI believe Nick Rogers is playing AAU with the Eric Gordon Central Stars this year.
Although they have not yet updated their 2015 roster, based on his tweet history, it seems you're right--thanks.  One of the top AAU in the state, no?

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2013, 05:08:54 PM
Although they have not yet updated their 2015 roster, based on his tweet history, it seems you're right--thanks.  One of the top AAU in the state, no?

I think AAU rosters are still moving around a bit, but should firm up a bit in May.  The Eric Gordon program is very good, along with Indiana Elite and the Spiece teams (including the Grassroots teams).  I know AAU basketball gets a bad rap nationally, but there are a bunch of good clubs and coaches involved with Indiana-based programs that do a very good job, IMO.

In April, Nick was playing with Michael Benkert, Brennan Gillis, Ryan Welage and Max Kurkowski(2015).  Eron Gordon (2016) may play with them occasionally, but he's been playing up 2 years with the 2014 team early on.  I talked to someone today who's been to several events so far, but didn't ask about Rogers ... if I get any information, I'll pass it along.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 02, 2013, 10:14:53 PMif I get any information, I'll pass it along.
thanks!  seems like a really great kid.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2013, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on May 02, 2013, 12:54:52 PMthe flat top
technically a hi-top fade, and the fact that you think Norris Cole where I think "Kid n'Play"!! means that you are like half my age.
Quote from: zvillehaze on May 02, 2013, 04:04:41 PMI believe Nick Rogers is playing AAU with the Eric Gordon Central Stars this year.

Speaking of flat tops, what about Rocky's opponent, played by Dolph Lundgren.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

Nick Rogers will be at Fort Wayne for the Spiece Run-N-Slam tournament this weekend.  Looks like a pretty good field.  http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/archives/3513

valpopal

We have another one on the table: Bryce apparently extended an offer to Aaron Jordan during his visit to campus this afternoon.