• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Keith Carter

Started by usc4valpo, March 02, 2014, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

What is the deal with Keith Carter?  I thought this guy was going to be a savior to take this hoops team to the next level.  Is he injured?  Is the system not compatible with his skills?  Was he overhyped?

Valpofan00

He hasn't even had a full college season yet and has less experience than our freshman. Give him time he'll come around.

classof2014

I think he's been playing much better as of late. I think he'll be our starting PG next season, and he plays with a lot of speed and a lot of passion.

Until mid-December he basically didn't play for almost 2 years straight, only appeared in a few games for SLU. From what I've seen over the past few games he shows a ton of promise and has been seeing more time than Lexus. His quickness reminds me a lot of Erik Buggs but he's a better shooter, not great but Bryce seems to turn mediocre to sub-par shooters into a threat on the perimeter.

He'll be on the HL 1st or 2nd team next season. If the team decided to play yesterday he would've had 7 or 8 assists. There's no question he has a ton of talent and I love the risk taking as well. Give him some time and he'll be very special.

DY219

He definitely doesn't look all that good to me. Hard to believe he was runner up Mr basketball. To me, Lexus is by far a better point guard.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

For someone who is a runner up for Mr. Illinois Basketball and had a lot of hype on his transfer, I think it is fair to say that he has not met expectations.  That being said, Valpo will be better in the next year or two.

LaPorteAveApostle

You asked that in the other thread, after someone had already said

Quote from: HC on March 01, 2014, 10:21:30 PMThe guys didn't look too interested in playing that second half with the exception of Keith Carter who was at least playing hard.

Sooooooo...yeah, don't know what to tell you; maybe he hasn't yet played worthy of "the second-best player in the state of Illinois in 2012 to Jabari Parker", but I'm still hopeful based on flashes of good play.

Especially considering he's had a year away from competitive basketball, because of both injury and transferring.

Do we know for sure we only have him two more years?  Does someone in the know know if the university is applying for the medshirt for him?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

This is just a plain stupid thread.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on March 02, 2014, 11:25:33 PMThis is just a plain stupid thread.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I think sometime we, as a fan base, get a bit stupid about players.....    I remember threads where people were saying we would have won a game if he played.   Over hyping a player makes for questions like this because then some start drinking the cool-aid.

Keith is a good player and ultimately we will be very happy to have him on the team but to expect him as essentially a freshman to make us win every game is insane thinking.   (When I go to a movie thinking it is going to be the best movie I have ever seen I am probably going to be disappointed.)

I think Keith has lived up to my expectations and I am looking forward to watching him play over the next couple years.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on March 03, 2014, 08:04:08 AMI remember threads where people were saying we would have won a game if he played. 
I don't think every game, but given some of our close ones, he would have made a difference.

You think he wouldn't have had something to prove versus Saint Louis?

valpo64

FWalum hit it on the head...it is foolish to be so critical of KC...HE HAS ONLY PLAYED A HANDFUL OF GAMES AS A COLLEGIAN...in fact he has played less than our heralded frosh this year...for cryin' out loud, give the kid a chance to establish himself

usc4valpo

considering the huge hype on this kid in November and December, I would not consider this a stupid thread.  He was a Chicago HS legend.  Just asking, and yes we should give him a chance.

a3uge

Carter seems to play good defense, but his ball handling skills need some work. He can't really create anything and seems to struggle when pressed. I think he will probably take over Dority's spot next year and become more of a como guard instead of a true point. Dority struggled last year at the point too (remember blowing the lead to Detroit when Buggs fouled out?), but look at him this year: he was a 1st teamer.

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

a3uge

Sigh. Never let a typo go to waist.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 02, 2014, 06:16:16 PM
For someone who is a runner up for Mr. Illinois Basketball and had a lot of hype on his transfer, I think it is fair to say that he has not met expectations.  That being said, Valpo will be better in the next year or two.

I would add that last year I was seeing a lot of the same criticism of LVD.  There were posters who wanted him benched. Today he is a HL 1st teamer.  My thought is that this kid needs to be given some slack. 

usc4valpo

OK, OK, I will be nice! All I am saying is that he got a lot of hype in November and early December.

FWalum

The tools are there.  Watch the kid play without looking at the stats. His on the ball defense is excellent and his court vision IMHO is the best on the team. It is tough coming in half way through the year and being given the reins when everyone is use to something else.  I really got the feeling that he was tentative and was never able to get into the flow because he had to fit into the fact that this was someone else's  team. I applaud his attitude of not come in and trying to take over like he did in HS.  He played within the constraints of this team's system.  This will be his team one day and I think he will shine.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

stephengries

Keith can play and hes got confidence out there with that 3

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 04, 2014, 09:56:17 PMhe got a lot of hype in November and early December.
And hype has never won a basketball game or changed the quality of a player. It's just hype and means nothing!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

I figured I could give this topic a bump since it directly relates to KC...

Anyways, anybody have any idea on when KC will be back? Nothing has been said anywhere or any sort of timeline has been given. He's missed a month of the season, he has to be getting close and I'm hoping he's started practicing again? I know he's been off crutches for a while, which is good. Just the no news has been killing me.

humbleopinion

He has started walking, but it doesn't seem he is ready to make a cut.  He is allowing a partially torn ligament to heal.
Beamin' Beacons

covufan

I'm looking forward to getting Keith back as well.  I think that the team is learning how to deal with this adversity, and will become better when everyone is healthy.

classof2014

So long the KC is back to 100% come tourney time I think missing him for a good chunk will pay its dividends. It has definitely helped with the development of EVN who I now trust in key situations handling the ball, if you look at his stats he has cut the turnovers down by quite a bit. Getting EVN experience at the point gives us an extra-dimension very few teams have, a 6' 7" PG, and nobody in the HL does, so if we do play GB in the tourney with a healthy KC, we know that EVN can shut-down Sykes, we also know KC is a lock down defender as well.

I am hoping KC is available in two weeks for the GB return game. If he is we should win. If he's back to 100% come early March we should be the best team in the HL.