• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mexico at Valpo Sat Dec 6 7:05 pm CT

Started by justducky, December 03, 2014, 12:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motowntitan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 08, 2014, 09:57:17 PM
GAH YOU MANIACS YOU BLEW IT UP SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE! 

It is? Damn, they are offering it up in the hospital cafeteria tomorrow.  I was going to grab some more.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: motowntitan on December 08, 2014, 10:01:41 PMBig East bottom feeder?  They are 8-1 right now, and ranked 15th/19th in the country.

You should jump at the chance for a 2 for 1.
OK I'M JUST GOING TO SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME AND THEN I'M GOING BACK TO MY NEW THREAD THAT LOOKS FORWARD NOT BACKWARD

EDDIE CABOT IS A SARCASTIC BUTLER FAN

TAKE NOTHING HE SAYS SERIOUSLY THERE IS AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE AND A PINTERIAN-TYPE SUBTEXT

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on December 08, 2014, 08:44:11 PMThe attendance number was accurate...sitting in the chairbacks and was surprised to see the numbers in the "upper deck".  The seating chart on line  showed the chairbacks were basically sold out early in the afternoon.   As for NM getting a lot of pressure on our shooters, yes they did, but we had many open shots that didn't fall.  Let's face it , it was a lousy shooting night.  Let's look ahead!!

Yes, the middle sections of the chairbacks were full but did anyone even really look at section F (1/2 as many as G) and section J (1/2 as many as I). I can't believe those sections were half full at game time and most likely people moved into those seats at half time. I didn't buy season tickets this year but I used to sit in section G and most of the people sitting in that section moved in after the game began and didn't hold tickets for those seats.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Northwestern may be in a power conference but they are certainly not a power team.  The basketball program has problems, including a terrible facility that is similar or worse than ours.  They also do not have a vision of what they want to be .  Chris Collins has a very difficult job, and did the previous coaches.

valpo84

BTW, as to the butler 2 for 1, we should try to work the deal 1-1 and 1. The 1 can be anywhere Butler wants outside of Hinkle -- Conseco, Ft Wayne Coliseum, United Center, the Q, etc. Shoot, give them more than half the gate on the neutral site. Indiana Rivalry TV game. And, by the way, why can't we get a 2 for 1 with DePaul? If they want to help their attendance, they should schedule us so they can get people to go to their games....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: valpo84 on December 09, 2014, 02:21:58 PM
BTW, as to the butler 2 for 1, we should try to work the deal 1-1 and 1. The 1 can be anywhere Butler wants outside of Hinkle -- Conseco, Ft Wayne Coliseum, United Center, the Q, etc. Shoot, give them more than half the gate on the neutral site. Indiana Rivalry TV game. And, by the way, why can't we get a 2 for 1 with DePaul? If they want to help their attendance, they should schedule us so they can get people to go to their games....

I was in attendance at the preseason practice event for season ticket holders when ml announced that they had recently tried to engage Butler on several occasions, but to no avail.  Butler's refusal to play Valpo is nothing new.  Former Butler regimes consistently declined to play Valpo, until finally they had to as part to the b-buster and for the 5 years we were together in the HL.  How many times does the spoiled snot that lives down the street have to say "F-U" when you ask if he would like to come out and play before you look for new friends?  It's time to say you can kiss my ass and move on.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo84 on December 09, 2014, 02:21:58 PMThe 1 can be anywhere Butler wants outside of Hinkle -- Conseco,

Some in Indy now call it BLF on a regular basis, for Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Bankers Life and Casualty Insurance Company is a company that Conseco had bought. It's original headquarters are still just north of the Loop and the Chicago River/Wacker. Conseco has offices near 106th in Carmel. One of the other insurance companies that Conseco owns is the company that Alex Trebeck is a spokesman for, Colonial Penn.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on December 08, 2014, 06:58:47 AM
Quote from: DrewBLOOD on December 06, 2014, 10:01:05 PM

LOBOS just plain out killed it tonight in chilly Indiana!!
A mediocre team huh?!?  show some respect, UNM just shut it down ...   This board is weaker then the team! I'm out of here...

GO LOBOS! 

Since you're feeling disrespected, I wrote a storybook in your honor:

Once upon a time a college basketball team from the land of enchantment traveled to the hoosier state to play another college basketball team.  They played good interior defense, forcing the other team to score from the perimeter - which they could not do.  They showed less skill on the offensive end, but scored enough points to equal their season average.  The team felt happy all the way back to the land of enchantment, while the team from the hoosier state sadly went home and went to bed.  The winning team's fans were happy, too, except for one whiny, perpetually offended individual, who didn't think the fans of the other team praised his team enough while in their state of sadness.  The next day, everyone returned to their normal lives, and they all lived happily ever after - except for one.  The end.

wh, I think you have to concede that he was provoked by rink's comment.  He didn't start it.

It is ludicrous to call NM a mediocre team from a mediocre conference.

While we're at it, what about Green Bay laying an egg at Georgia State?  If you're going to call NM mediocre, what does that make GSU?  Granted, at least GB was the visiting team in that game, but still.  The Lobos play in a higher caliber conference than the Horizon League for sure.

That said, I do agree that Mr. DrewBLOOD is pretty thin-skinned -- making him a common, garden variety irrational fan.  A member of a fairly large fraternity who can claim some Valpo fans as members as well.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 09, 2014, 07:01:23 PMmaking him a common, garden variety irrational fan.

The average common, garden variety, irrational fan looks like this.......who else would lay down in the dirt with the vegetables?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 09, 2014, 09:40:02 PM

Oh, sure. Your memes have words all over them and I get dinged for a see-through word overlay.  >:(   ;D

rink

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 09, 2014, 07:01:23 PM

Really? They're not receiving votes, so they're not one of the top 50ish teams in the country.  The conference ranking for the MWC hovers around 10? Only a couple spots better than the Horizon? All in all, nothing particularly special.

Maybe they're on the good side of mediocre, but mediocre team / mediocre conference still seems like a fair opinion to me.  Saying it's ludicrous is ludicrous!

StlVUFan

Quote from: rink on December 12, 2014, 12:37:01 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on December 09, 2014, 07:01:23 PM

Really? They're not receiving votes, so they're not one of the top 50ish teams in the country.  The conference ranking for the MWC hovers around 10? Only a couple spots better than the Horizon? All in all, nothing particularly special.

Maybe they're on the good side of mediocre, but mediocre team / mediocre conference still seems like a fair opinion to me.  Saying it's ludicrous is ludicrous!
I could have sworn they were ranked.  Maybe I was mistaken.  I know they've been ranked the past couple of years.  I also think I saw their RPI has greatly improved lately (I suppose you're going to tell me it improved because of they're win over Valpo ;) ).

It is really hard to reconcile the word "mediocre" with what I saw last Saturday night.  And I can't see doing it simply by saying that Valpo sucked, as if NM would suck against anyone else.  That seems ludicrous to me.  I think a good part of why Valpo sucked on Saturday is precisely because NM was good enough to make them suck.

They did shoot lights out, that's for sure.  Man, the basket was an ocean for them (though my vantage point on the end-line -- handicapped section with my 85 year old Dad -- may hinder my perspective).  And we shot horribly.  But shooting percentage is not something you control.  You can certainly influence it with hard work in practice, concentration, conditioning, etc.  But shots either go in or they don't *to some extent* as a function of cosmic whimsy -- especially the further away from the basket you are.

And no, I would not call a 10th ranked conference (10 out of 32 or 33????) mediocre.  I would call it good.

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 12, 2014, 11:07:25 AMAnd no, I would not call a 10th ranked conference (10 out of 32 or 33?) mediocre.  I would call it good.
I agree.  There are now 351 teams and 33 conferences in NCAA Division I Men's Basketball.  According to Massey's College Basketball Ranking Composite, an average of 36 rankings/ratings systems, New Mexico is at 85, with the Mountain West Conference at 10.  I would hardly call that mediocre.  At the end of 2014, New Mexico was ranked 26th, with the MWC 10th.  In 2013 they were 16th and the MWC was 5th.  Hardly mediocre. 

http://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Smj

snarc....   selfishly I don't want to say they are mediocre.

(What does that say for us)

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on December 12, 2014, 03:48:57 PM
snarc....   selfishly I don't want to say they are mediocre.

(What does that say for us)

Of course, we lose to a lot of mediocre teams in our own conference already.