• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Please A New Thread Who Trinity Int'l That's a Thing OK Then 12/10 7PM

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, December 08, 2014, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

As much as so many of you dislike the idea of this game on the schedule, having TIU coming in after 5 games in 9 days brings what should be a welcome respite for the starters and major minutes guys. This will mean, hopefully, seeing Davidson, Chadwick, Joseph, and a couple others getting some minutes because we shouldn't have to rely on the Walkers, Carter, Peters, and Vashil for the entire game. The guys needed this game as a confidence rebuilder, even if it ends up a blowout, they needed a game to get back on track before Ball State on Saturday. As Bryce said in the preview, a lot of teams use this week as a  time to get some non-D-I games in to rest tired legs, banged up/bruised bodies, and a chance to rest some guys. Fans don't like to see these games, but they are what the guys need after a tough holiday/early December schedule of tournament play and travel. Would you really want us scheduling a crappy RPI D-I team, whether from a major or lower, or would you rather have a game that doesn't count against the RPI, so guys can get a bit of a rest? Also, D-I schools take it a little easier these two weeks or so because of finals. They want the guys to focus more on classes and grades, before the needed break from classes and the start of conference play in late December/early January.

Yes, we'll win this game tomorrow night, but it will be a necessary game to get the guys out of their funk, and get a couple of guys some rest after bruises and tiredness from the travel over the holiday and such.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on December 10, 2014, 12:31:29 AMWould you really want us scheduling a crappy RPI D-I team, whether from a major or lower, or would you rather have a game that doesn't count against the RPI, so guys can get a bit of a rest?
I agree with you, but not everyone here does.  PLEASE Y'ALL DON'T START THAT ARGUMENT UP AGAIN

LOOKING AT YOU BIG D
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 09, 2014, 10:19:19 PM
I think Valpo could get a home and home with Northwestern or DePaul. Both programs suck and I think it would get a decent Chicagoland following.  They have not faced each other since 1979 and 1980, respectively.
What we need is to have a three year contract for a double header at the United Center.  Northwestern, DePaul, Valpo and either Loyola or Notre Dame.  Two games and an alumni gathering for each team.  Switch teams each of the next two years.  Maybe, just maybe, if we strike up a relationship with each school and the coaches and ADs become friendly, then we can schedule some one-and-ones with these teams. 

historyman

Quote from: covufan on December 10, 2014, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 09, 2014, 10:19:19 PMI think Valpo could get a home and home with Northwestern or DePaul. Both programs suck and I think it would get a decent Chicagoland following.  They have not faced each other since 1979 and 1980, respectively.
What we need is to have a three year contract for a double header at the United Center.  Northwestern, DePaul, Valpo and either Loyola or Notre Dame.  Two games and an alumni gathering for each team.  Switch teams each of the next two years.  Maybe, just maybe, if we strike up a relationship with each school and the coaches and ADs become friendly, then we can schedule some one-and-ones with these teams.

And the first thing that the sports fans in Chicago would say is "who invited Valpo?" Why not get Marquette, Saint Louis, Butler or Illinois. Valpo has only beat major teams a few times.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: historyman on December 10, 2014, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: covufan on December 10, 2014, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 09, 2014, 10:19:19 PMI think Valpo could get a home and home with Northwestern or DePaul. Both programs suck and I think it would get a decent Chicagoland following.  They have not faced each other since 1979 and 1980, respectively.

And the first thing that the sports fans in Chicago would say is "who invited Valpo?" Why not get Marquette, Saint Louis, Butler or Illinois. Valpo has only beat major teams a few times.

Yeah, no one said it would be an easy sell, but I like the idea.  This is where we live, where we successfully recruit, where our media connection is. Anything we can do to build a greater presence is a good thing. I also think the timing could be right. Hopefully, we will build a great record this year, and the skys the limit the next 2 or 3 years minimum. It's time to do something bold and creative.

valpo64

I believe we played Northwestern for a number of years, but is has been quite awhile ago.  I like the one and one with the Chicago area schools.  Like you stated, with the number of Chicago area recruits it would help the crowds both in Chicago and Valpo.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 10, 2014, 12:55:50 PM
I believe we played Northwestern for a number of years, but is has been quite awhile ago.  I like the one and one with the Chicago area schools.  Like you stated, with the number of Chicago area recruits it would help the crowds both in Chicago and Valpo.

Actually, of Notre Dame, DePaul and Northwestern, we have played Notre Dame most recently and have the most history.  We started playing them in 1920-21 and most recently in 2002-2003, at The United Center, a game we lost by 2.  Overall our record is 3-37

Both Northwestern and DePaul were most recently played in the season 1979-80. The Northwestern history started in 1967-68 and stands at 2-8.

DePaul started in 1953-54 and stands at 8-16.

It has been a long time since we have played either DePaul or Northwestern.  Those would be good games and very well attended given our considerably alumni base in Chicagoland.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 10, 2014, 12:03:27 PMYeah, no one said it would be an easy sell, but I like the idea.  This is where we live, where we successfully recruit, where our media connection is. Anything we can do to build a greater presence is a good thing. I also think the timing could be right. Hopefully, we will build a great record this year, and the skys the limit the next 2 or 3 years minimum. It's time to do something bold and creative.
I just love your aggressive can do attitude! Folks, I think it is time for us to assemble an angry mob and much like the French Revolution drag the old "scheduling king" out on to the street to face the chopping block while we hoist wh on to our shoulders and anoint him our beloved new "king".

Trust me-- You would love this job. It is an ultra-exciting challenge that could totally consume a person with your type of drive (the pay is probably also pretty good). One thing you might want to think about though, is what might happen if the mob gets angry angry again!

Kyle321n

I don't make predictions, but this one is one I'm confident in.

Valpo: 114
Trinity: 3
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Vashil blocked 4, getting him to triple digits and tying him with Rowdy.

wait, wrong thread.

Tickets to this game may have been overpriced.

still wrong thread.

hm.

Nickerson didn't play!

This fulfills my contractual obligation to say something game-related.

Also, I know plus-minus is a wonky stat in b-ball, but Vashil and Tevonn managed a plus-35, while Davidson and Adekoya...firmly in the negs.  (-10 & -7, respectively; that's hard to do in a game you win by 25.)

Smj

I expected lights out shooting from the team after the last game.    Still struggling to make outside shots - wad going this game would build some shooting confidence.

valpo4life

Tuned in to the beginning of this one, watched for a couple minutes as Davidson and Jubril appeared to be inferior to the other team. So I discontinued my viewing and just checked the score every now and then. Hopefully we come to play Saturday.

bbtds

Valpo plays a very poor inside game. When driving one on one and taking their man to the basket Valpo is much better except for Adekoya. I think if Valpo had been playing Ball State tonight the Crusaders would have lost. Until the outside shots start falling we are not going to win many games.

valpopal

I don't usually enjoy games like this one because I think it is very difficult to judge the play, especially since so many unusual combinations of players are on the court for the Crusaders. Therefore, a number of mistakes were made simply since the players didn't seem used to working with one another. In addition, the combined playing time for Davidson, Chadwick, and Joseph added up to 53 minutes. On the positive side, some of the supporting players got game experience they otherwise wouldn't, plus starters had a chance to rest before the next game. Nickerson even sat out the game entirely, so he will be ready to play on Saturday. It will be interesting to see if the team can return to its normal pattern of play and get off to a fast start against Ball State. Nevertheless, the game did seem to be a confidence booster for the backcourt of Carter and T. Walker, as Tevonn led the way with 15 points, including the basket below.

wh

I'm afraid that Darien Walker is now officially mired in a mini shooting slump.  Over the past 3 games he is shooting 5-27 from the field (18.5%) and 2-12 from 3 (17%).  This contrasts with a combined 38-79 (48%) and 17-36 (47%) from 3 in the 8 games prior.  I wasn't at the Trinity game, but some of his shots against NM were so misdirected they barely drew iron to the left or right.  I hope he comes around against Ball State, or we may find ourselves struggling to scratch out a win.

wh

Quote from: justducky on December 10, 2014, 02:40:52 PM
Quote from: wh on December 10, 2014, 12:03:27 PMYeah, no one said it would be an easy sell, but I like the idea.  This is where we live, where we successfully recruit, where our media connection is. Anything we can do to build a greater presence is a good thing. I also think the timing could be right. Hopefully, we will build a great record this year, and the skys the limit the next 2 or 3 years minimum. It's time to do something bold and creative.
I just love your aggressive can do attitude! Folks, I think it is time for us to assemble an angry mob and much like the French Revolution drag the old "scheduling king" out on to the street to face the chopping block while we hoist wh on to our shoulders and anoint him our beloved new "king".

Trust me-- You would love this job. It is an ultra-exciting challenge that could totally consume a person with your type of drive (the pay is probably also pretty good). One thing you might want to think about though, is what might happen if the mob gets angry angry again!

LOL...In all seriousness the more I learn about the challenges of scheduling at the mid major level, the more I have come to respect the job that Luke Gore and others do at Valpo.  I'm sure that no one wants to put together a challenging schedule filled with quality opponents more than they do.   

vusupporter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 10, 2014, 08:50:56 PM
Also, I know plus-minus is a wonky stat in b-ball, but Vashil and Tevonn managed a plus-35, while Davidson and Adekoya...firmly in the negs.  (-10 & -7, respectively; that's hard to do in a game you win by 25.)

That's...not right, at least for Davidson.  Quickly scanning the PBP, he had four stints in the game:
Start of game - (-3)
End of first half - +2
Middle of second half - +1
Last five minutes - +8

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I was just going off the live stats.  http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=66854

It would indeed seem hard to post a number that low in a 25 pt win.

valpopal

I have uploaded a gallery with more than 25 photos from the game against Trinity International at the following link: enjoy!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157649711137251/

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 10, 2014, 02:00:28 PM
Both Northwestern and DePaul were most recently played in the season 1979-80. The Northwestern history started in 1967-68 and stands at 2-8.

Huh.  I have clear memories of attending a basketball game in Northwestern's gym about 10-12 years ago.  Apparently I have less clear memories of the opponent!  I'd assumed it was Valpo.

How fickle memory can be!

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on December 12, 2014, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: vu72 on December 10, 2014, 02:00:28 PM

Huh.  I have clear memories of attending a basketball game in Northwestern's gym about 10-12 years ago.  Apparently I have less clear memories of the opponent!  I'd assumed it was Valpo.

How fickle memory can be!

I believe Valpo scrimmaged (simulated game) Northwestern when Ivan Vujic was on the NW coaching staff. I'm not sure if they keep score but you never hear the result except for what the players could recollect. I believe the Valpo players thought they played well.