• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ IPFW - 7pm ET - Saturday, Dec. 20

Started by ml2, December 12, 2014, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Go Valpo Go!  *CLAP CLAP CLAP*  Go Valpo Go! *CLAP CLAP CLAP*   Listened to the second half and it sounded like quite a battle!  Any Valpo team that comes out of FW with a win is doing very well!  11-2 looks pretty nifty.

Smj

btw - wow - Alec .....  That was awesome - it was like he said "okay guess I need to do a lot in the second half"  -and then he did.   

Also,  i never realized he thought about playing for ipfw.

agibson

Quote from: Smj on December 20, 2014, 06:11:05 PMThe feed is NOT a 6 dollar quality feed.    Maybe 50 cents. .     Looks like there is a strobe light.

Huh.  The production values weren't great.  But, the resolution was OK.  And the feed was rock solid for me.  I don't think it paused once.  I don't remember it even dropping a frame.  I joined a bit before half time.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on December 20, 2014, 08:07:10 PM
Quote from: Smj on December 20, 2014, 06:11:05 PMThe feed is NOT a 6 dollar quality feed.    Maybe 50 cents. .     Looks like there is a strobe light.

Huh.  The production values weren't great.  But, the resolution was OK.  And the feed was rock solid for me.  I don't think it paused once.  I don't remember it even dropping a frame.  I joined a bit before half time.
It is quite conceivable that my crappy laptop was to blame for that (it's about 4 years old and I probably don't take great care of it).

I still don't think much of their sign-up mechanism, though.

oklahomamick

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 20, 2014, 07:52:34 PM
Well, I only got to watch the bad half, but that's fine.

As always, a win is much better than a loss.

You missed Peters get really hot, almost unstoppable.  We switched to more man defense in second.  Audio was still terrible.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 20, 2014, 03:06:31 PM
Obviously Jubril will miss Goshen.  And obviously he will be done serving by conference.

Thus: whether he sits tonight or not will tell us which of these two road games Bryce is more worried about...

I didn't catch why he was sitting? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUfan

FWalum

Quote from: Smj on December 20, 2014, 07:54:33 PM
The announcers for ipfw were hilarious. ...    "When you get tired the ball just falls out of your hands"   and   "he is the player with the full length tights and a headband"    (we thought they were super funny - I was waiting for one of them to say well the winner will be the team with the most points at the end. ....)

lol.....
Well I hate to tell you, but the play by play announcer is 84 VU grad and baseball player Brett Rump. He talked with Homer and ML before the game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on December 20, 2014, 09:07:30 PM
Quote from: Smj on December 20, 2014, 07:54:33 PM
The announcers for ipfw were hilarious. ...    "When you get tired the ball just falls out of your hands"   and   "he is the player with the full length tights and a headband"    (we thought they were super funny - I was waiting for one of them to say well the winner will be the team with the most points at the end. ....)

lol.....
Well I hate to tell you, but the play by play announcer is 84 VU grad and baseball player Brett Rump. He talked with Homer and ML before the game.

Do announcers not realize that during their radio breaks, that the TV audio can still be heard?  You could hear the IPFW announcers the whole time, speaking about how they didn't like the preparation from the people they were working with.  "We should have the video, but we don't," as well as, "We really should know who these people are that are performing right now at halftime, as we are on TV."  ;D  This happens every single time I watch and listen to an opponent's broadcast via the web.  I usually like to listen to chef, but this time, his audio was AHEAD of the video feed, and I couldn't take knowing what was going to happen before I saw it.

For any of those that watched, you noticed how VALUABLE Vashil is, as he was dominating in that second half.  After a poor first 5 minutes for him, where he had 2-3 turnovers and 2 PFs, he was huge in that second half.  He ended up with 8 pts, 5 rbs, and 6 blocks, but the IPFW players were pissing their pants any time they got in the post during the last 10 minutes.  They tried to shake him over and over, and then just looked lost about what to do.  Even the chubby guy was panicked in that second half.

Obviously, Peters and Carter were massive in that second half.  Peters was taking and making tough shots throughout that comeback, and you have to love that from your star player, to see that desire and will to bring the team to victory.  What a fun game!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on December 20, 2014, 10:00:00 PMDo announcers not realize that during their radio breaks, that the TV audio can still be heard?  You could hear the IPFW announcers the whole time, speaking about how they didn't like the preparation from the people they were working with.  "We should have the video, but we don't," as well as, "We really should know who these people are that are performing right now at halftime, as we are on TV." 
in Brett's defense, channel 39 is carrying 6 IPFW games this year for the first time, and this was the first game so there were obviously some tech difficulties and unknowns which they were discovering during this live initial broadcast.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 20, 2014, 08:26:46 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 20, 2014, 03:06:31 PM
Obviously Jubril will miss Goshen.  And obviously he will be done serving by conference.

Thus: whether he sits tonight or not will tell us which of these two road games Bryce is more worried about...

I didn't catch why he was sitting? 

I'm assuming you are not joking just in case you're not.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2025.0

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2025.75
(scroll down to valpopal's post on Dec 18 at 10:04:54 p.m.)

oklahomamick

Thanks for the link of the story.  A friend from valpo posted on Facebook that 100 people were arrested at a party.  I never thought one of the ball players were involved.  I did my share of parties at valpo, maybe once a month.  I only saw a couple bball players once or twice and it wasn't the starters. 

Through my experience on campus (01-05) I always thought they were very professional in their behavior in and out of class.  I was surprised I didn't see them out more. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on December 20, 2014, 11:42:58 PM

Aw, I almost want my like back.  I thought he was trolling.

classof2014

Sadly I was unable to watch the game last night. Sounds like it was a great game. Both Alec and KC are showing why they were such high recruits and Alec is showing why in the next two seasons he's gonna be one of the premier mid-major basketball players, not even halfway through his sophomore season and consistently puts up big numbers and hits big shots. For all the KC non-believers, he really seems to be coming into his own, shots are falling, plays lights out defensively, and runs the offense smoothly. I've also been very impressed with Vashil, 6 blocks yesterday, doesn't turn the ball over much (1 per game), and is shooting okay from FT at 66%, he has continued his trend upwards from last season.

As for everyone else... I've been very happy with (minus Jubril) team seems to play well together, stinks our two worst games were against our 2 toughest opponents but we're just saving the W's for those guys come March  ;D

11-2 is very nice, 12-2 after this afternoon and a possible 13-2 record in OCC play, wasn't expecting that in the least. It'll be interesting to see how they match up with the rest of the HL. 

oklahomamick

Quote from: classof2014 on December 21, 2014, 10:54:15 AMI've also been very impressed with Vashil, 6 blocks yesterday, doesn't turn the ball over much (1 per game), and is shooting okay from FT at 66%, he has continued his trend upwards from last season.

Vashil had good numbers last night.  But when he doesn't have good numbers, he still is a big presence.  His turnovers were when he put the ball on the floor.  I loved the alley-hoop dunk off the pick and roll with KC.  Vashil also has developed a hook shot.  Big fan of his progress from his first days at Valpo.  Remember that he got a little playing time and increased his minutes as he has gotten better and older.  Who is that person now?  Vashil will be gone at the end of the season.  Who is getting a little playing time and progressing like Vashil did in his early years?  Who will take his spot at the end of the year?  Please don't say Jubril or Chadwick.  We wont have a 5 next year with experience. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on December 21, 2014, 10:16:12 AM
Quote from: bbtds on December 20, 2014, 11:42:58 PM

Aw, I almost want my like back.  I thought he was trolling.

You can "unlike" a post anytime you want.

vu72

I unfortunately missed the game yesterday but will be anxiously awaiting the battle today with Goshen.  So the box score says that there were 1249 people at the game.  Was there a blizzard in town?  I would have expected 1249 Lutherans to be at the game!  Very disappointing.  How does IPFW expect to have a successful program when they can draw for a game against a Indiana team like Valpo??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

There was a very large Valpo contingent at the game.  We had close to 90 at the Alumni Pre-game reception.  Homer and ML both spoke about the fall sports and this years MBB team. It was a really good time and great to cap it off with a W.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: vu72 on December 21, 2014, 12:54:24 PM
I unfortunately missed the game yesterday but will be anxiously awaiting the battle today with Goshen.  So the box score says that there were 1249 people at the game.  Was there a blizzard in town?  I would have expected 1249 Lutherans to be at the game!  Very disappointing.  How does IPFW expect to have a successful program when they can draw for a game against a Indiana team like Valpo??

The reasons I can think of:

1. It's IPFW. As close as they were to the tourney last year, I'd hesitate to call them a program.
2. I don't think school is in session, which doesn't help student attendance
3. Their arena is a bandbox, which isn't necessarily a cause/excuse for low attendance, but it does show what kind of crowds they expect over there.
Nonetheless, that does sound awfully pathetic for a Saturday night game against a familiar opponent. High schools routinely draw more.
#CrusadersForever

valpo64

IPFW has had more than one home game this season with less than 1,000 attending.  Their crowd looked about normal to me.  Good band and many cheerleaders almost out numbered the regular student section. Everything considered, they are not a "qualified" candidate for the Horizon League, even thought they are a much bigger school than VU.

covufan

Brett Rump attended VU, but I don't think ever graduated. He was a sophomore in 1984, spending many hours on WVUR. He really liked being on the radio and took a job in Ft Wayne.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on December 17, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 15, 2014, 03:39:08 PMYou mean it won't be 65-62???  I called Vegas and placed a bet.
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 04:21:16 PMYou mean it won't be 65-62???  I called Vegas and placed a bet.
If the score ends up being 65 - 62, someone from the University better get on this board quickly with an "I told you so!"
Did the same three point spread help your bet?  They were only off by a digit!

LaPorteAveApostle

at one point we were winning 65-62 and I got excited

then they hit a trey and i was much less excited
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on December 22, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
Quote from: covufan on December 17, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 15, 2014, 03:39:08 PMYou mean it won't be 65-62???  I called Vegas and placed a bet.
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 04:21:16 PMYou mean it won't be 65-62???  I called Vegas and placed a bet.
If the score ends up being 65 - 62, someone from the University better get on this board quickly with an "I told you so!"
Did the same three point spread help your bet?  They were only off by a digit!

The bookie didn't make a sound when I said that I should get something for being only 10 off each score. Oh well, there goes my $7.43.