• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ James Madison 12/29/14

Started by talksalot, December 23, 2014, 07:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

So uhh, dumb question but is Nation playing this time around or no?
#CrusadersForever

LaPorteAveApostle

If he manages to get to the game and dress without
a) smoking up
b) punching a teammate
c) quitting b-ball to start an overdue rap career without changing his name, making him the only known rapper in history to do so
d) all of the above
then yes.  we are going to see the Nation-als.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

We are pretty good, you guys.

11 straight trips without a basket.  That's hard to do, especially to the home team. 

Up 27-12 1/3 through the game.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

At this rate it will be 80-32.

So.

It's nice to see someone else turn the ball over more than we; yet, even without our 12-0 lead in "pts off TO" we'd ... still be up 28-16.

So.

RESTRAIN YOUR UNBRIDLED OPTIMISM FOR AN UNDEFEATED HL SEASON

...BUT GOOD LUCK DOING SO WHEN WE UNCORK PERFORMANCES LIKE THIS ROUTINELY

EDIT:  also
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1024.msg50855#msg50855

hailcrusaders

What was the Ickow quote from a few weeks ago? "This is the team we saw in Nashville"? Maybe he can help us out once he's done.

I only have video, and it's not crashing but rather jumpy.

I know it's been said before but how come we never play this way against the Missouris, New Mexicos, and Nebraskas of our schedule?
#CrusadersForever

LaPorteAveApostle

wow. JMU comes out swinging and scores 9 pts in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half.

Which, ok, yeah, is pace for 90 for a game.

...except that we got 12 and we're even further ahead.

At some point you have to pool all the good performances (this game, CMU tourney, entire Nashville tourney) and say, this isn't luck or aberration, but merely playing to potential, and doing so routinely.

truth219

David chadwick....stud...I'll eat my own words

HC

Video feed wasn't so hot for me, but I did like the score. Looking forward to league play finally starting. Hooray for meaningful games!

LaPorteAveApostle

Also worth noting:  Nick Davidson with 8 pts in 1:38 of game time.

That's 195.1 pts/40 min.  #morePT

shades of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWE_Wbu80o

bbtds

Wonder how that JMU press conference will go. Ouch!

govalpogo

Well Done lads!  13-2 Non Conf. season!  Let's see something similar in the HL!

valpotx

What an absolutely dominant defensive performance throughout the game.  JMU missed some open 3s, but everything in the paint or out to 16-18 feet was highly contested by VU.  I will keep beating this dead horse, and say to the 4-5 of you on here that were down on Vashil after 3-4 games this season, VASHIL SAYS EAT IT!  He has learned solid body positioning, is doing the slip screen to score points, setting good picks, and other teams are very afraid to shoot when he is around.

Another great game in a 79-52 win!

Almost forgot to mention that it was fortuitous for someone to mention on another thread that it would be great to have a C that could spread the floor through 3 pt. shooting.  Chadwick shows us that if he can get 8-10 minutes per game in order to spell Peters and/or Vashil, that he can bring another component to the team.  Since he has been seeing more floor time over the last 3 games, he appears much more confident when he is in the game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: HC on December 29, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
Video feed wasn't so hot for me, but I did like the score.

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 29, 2014, 06:55:08 PMI only have video, and it's not crashing but rather jumpy.

My video was freezing some also. I thought it might have been my laptop but now that I have read your comments I realize it had something to do with Madizone technical problems. 

valpotx

Also, how about that put-back dunk by Vashil?  He wouldn't have been able to do something as coordinated as that last season, in catching the ball at your chest in mid-air and dunking, all in one motion.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 29, 2014, 08:01:28 PMChadwick shows us that if he can get 8-10 minutes per game in order to spell Peters and/or Vashil, that he can bring another component to the team.  Since he has been seeing more floor time over the last 3 games, he appears much more confident when he is in the game.

I know David would never wish bad things on anyone but if Jubril went out with an injury or caught more Andre Nation disease Chadwick would be happy to step in and grab his playing time.

Oh darn! The president needs some help with the healthcare.gov website. That is a shame.

valpopal

valpopal

Didn't get to listen to the game broadcast tonight, so I'm not sure if it was mentioned that Alec Peters played after learning before the game that his grandfather had passed away. Condolences to Alec and his family.

valpotx

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see anything happen to Jubril, as he is a tough defender against guys much larger than himself.  Jubril is obviously not a scorer, but is still very valuable to our team.  Even when he missed that wide open reverse layup, you still notice his presence on D, as he doesn't let his lack of offense affect his defensive intensity.  However, if Chadwick can be a solid #9 guy for us (6-8 minutes?), that helps us out quite a bit in regards to fouls and rest.

Didn't hear that part about Peters.  He is an absolute competitor.  I rarely mention him in my comments because you have come to expect the type of performances he has put in for us after 1.5 seasons.  When he made the comment as a HS Senior that he looked forward to replacing Rowdy's production, who knew that he would surpass it in his SO year??  You can see that he has worked on his game quite a bit.  He used to be a spot-up guy last season, which is how teams took him out of games, much like teams did against Rowdy FR/SO year.  Well, now he is quick enough to dribble drive past his defender, he can post-up, has some fancy moves around the basket, etc.  It is like poetry in motion with this guy.  I hate to say it because I absolutely love what Rowdy brought to Valpo, but Peters is going to be much better than him, by the end of this season...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Compliments also to KC and TW for excellent guard play on both ends. Also, EVN is really starting to get his game together.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on December 29, 2014, 08:05:06 PM

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 29, 2014, 06:55:08 PMI only have video, and it's not crashing but rather jumpy.

My video was freezing some also. I thought it might have been my laptop but now that I have read your comments I realize it had something to do with Madizone technical problems. 

I have always had problems but tonight my reception was flawless! Comcast was here today working on some different issues and I think they may have inadvertently fixed this!  :o  :thumbsup:  :clap: :dance:

wh

Quote from: wh on December 29, 2014, 08:57:17 PM
Compliments also to KC and TW for excellent guard play on both ends. Also, EVN is really starting to get his game together.

Just noticed from the box score that Darien had a whooping 7 assists, plus 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. He didn't shoot the ball particularly well, but these other numbers are killer. Another very talented player.

SanityLost17

I was very impressed with Davidson (with the exception of 1 major defensive lapse).  It is not easy to shoot the ball after sitting on the bench all day, and this is not the 1st time Davidson has come in cold and drained a few 3 pointers. 

How good is he?  Does he deserve 3-4 minutes a game with a couple of set plays for him?  Is James Madison just that bad or is Davidson just on a REALLY good team where a very solid shooter can't get any playing time?   

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on December 29, 2014, 08:05:06 PM

Feed was great for me. Very good resolution and no problems what so ever.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Did anyone see the video of Chadwick's fall?  Did not look good to me.  I would be surprised if we see David during the next few games at all.  I hope I am wrong.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Only 6 turnovers and 11 for 14 on FT's is an excellent improvement in areas where the team had sometimes done poorly in the past. Bravo!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann