• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ James Madison 12/29/14

Started by talksalot, December 23, 2014, 07:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 29, 2014, 07:42:47 AM
Quote from: historyman on December 29, 2014, 05:53:56 AMthe day of the return game in Virginia is the first time we have heard of the "colorful" Andre Nation?
in our defense, he was suspended for the last one. and he does have 10 hours to get suspended again. of course I get the feeling the next one won't be a suspension...

Andre and his Nation would have probably been better off if he had sat out.

24 minutes, 2 of 6 shooting, 0 for 2 from three, 1 of 2 FTs, 3 rb, 2 asst, 5 points.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Hats off to the guy on the right for reflecting more on the game than the other two JMU players shown.  After you get your teeth stomped in, I imagine that it is very hard as a college kid to sit there and have to answer questions about why you didn't keep the game closer or win.  JMU didn't play poorly, but rather their shots just didn't fall, and as they mentioned, our D was on for most of the game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Was not expecting a Non-con like this one. 13-2 and many of our wins were in convincing fashion.

KC- is starting to look like the "as-advertised" player as he plays lights-out D, able to score when need-be, and is able to run the offense like a well oiled machine.

Vashil - is well on his way to a historic season, already has 49 blocks on the season, good chance to top 100 against smaller competition in the HL. Vashil will record a triple-double this season. 12 points, 10 boards, 10 blocks. He has been absolutely dominant in the paint and takes a whole dimension away from another team. In the HL that doesn't have very big bigs this could be a historic season for the Vashil

Alec - Hard to believe he's only a sophomore! Averaging 19 already, it's either he or Sykes who will bring home PoY

If I wanted to I can go, on-and-on about the stellar play from everyone on the team. Best ever start to a Valpo season. We match up very well against the HL opponents. I am very excited to see what this team can do the rest of the way.

Crazy, that just about everyone will be back next season. We will lose the talents of Vashil but we bring in one of the best HS in state, who is 7+ feet tall, and has put 30+ performances up multiple times this season. So I guess we go from the Jammin Jamaican to the Dunking Dutchmen 2.0

This Valpo can be VERY special in the next year or so... Not to mention our Lexus will be out of the shop next season

valpopal

This win helped the Crusaders in the ratings. After the victory, Valparaiso moved from 98 to 77 in the Pomeroy ratings, and the team rose from 78 to 59 in the Sagarin ratings. ESPN's Daily RPI has Valpo rising from 80 to 61.

Valpo89

I loved Andre Nation's one-word contribution to that press conference.
I wonder if any of the reporters used it in their game stories.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: historyman on December 25, 2014, 02:39:32 PM

Nothing going to happen with my ACL, guys! I'm planning on scoring 35+ and blow those Dukes away!

What did I tell you. I didn't score 35 because there wasn't a need to score that many. Chadwick and Davidson took up the slack. We sure did blow those Dukes away.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

weird...peters + chadwick + davidson = 35...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 29, 2014, 06:55:08 PMI know it's been said before but how come we never play this way against the Missouris, New Mexicos, and Nebraskas of our schedule?
Because those teams are better.

I had trouble with the video too, had to refresh numerous times.  The upside was that there were short stretches when the video was perfectly synced to Todd's play-by-play.

The play-by-play announcer didn't seem all that partisan to JMU, kinda strange.  I rewatched the first half and there were times when there was more silence than talk from him.

I don't believe Todd mentioned once about Alec's grandfather, so that story was a surprise to me too.

I thought we got a lot of lucky bounces, and indeed the main observation I have of their play is that they just couldn't hit shots for most of the game.

Kyle321n

Kind of ironic that we wondered if he would get suspended days before our game? I guess it was a few weeks after instead.
[tweet]555786514714886144[/tweet]
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

humbleopinion

Nation off the team.  JMU does not fare as well for the rest of the season, our win is less impressive.
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

eh, people thought the Pistons would go further downhill after they cut Josh Smith.  Sooooo...

wh

Coach Matt Brady made the decision public via press release.

"We appreciate Andre's efforts with our program over the past three years," Brady said. "Working with Andre this year, it has become apparent that he no longer fits within our program and the vision we have for the future. I care about Andre and his well-being and wish him all the best in the future. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the season with my team. As such, I will not comment further on Andre."

A lost soul that averaged 15 PPG last year.  Greg "Father Flanagan" Kampe to the rescue!

Grizz

I guess you guys are right, we at Oakland don't have a a like school in this league. We have been in the league 3 se3mesters and no one has even been close to us.
-- The 2014 Fall Academic Honor Roll is comprised of 808 student-athletes representing all nine Horizon League institutions and each of the 19 League sponsored sports. As an affiliate member, Belmont distinguished student-athletes only in the sport of men's soccer.

Candidates for the Honor Roll must meet three criteria in order to qualify: 1) participation in at least one of the League's 19 sports during the most recent (or current) season; 2) completion of three semesters (or four quarters, where applicable) as a full-time student at the same member institution; and 3) a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.20 (on a 4.00 scale).

For the third-straight semester, Oakland paced the conference with 125 student-athletes meeting Honor Roll criteria followed closely by Valparaiso with 115. Milwaukee improved its numbers once again by placing 112 student-athletes, while Wright State also increased by positioning 84 to receive accolades. Detroit honors 80 student-athletes as Green Bay and Youngstown State tally 75, respectively. Cleveland State contributed 67 and UIC rounding out the conference accumulating 63 student-athletes on the Honor Roll.

With 108 student-athletes garnering accolades, women's soccer led all Horizon League sports on the Fall Honor Roll. Women's track and field/cross country also hit triple digits with 100, while men's soccer grew its numbers by placing 80 to lead all male sports. Contributing 76, men's track and field/cross country was the fourth-highest sport represented and women's swimming and diving was close behind with 64. Baseball honored 57 student-athletes, with softball (57) and men's swimming and diving (50) next on the list. Contributing at least 30 student-athletes, women's tennis (38) and women's basketball (34) closed out the female sports. Men's golf (28), men's tennis (22) and men's basketball (13) rounded out the League sponsored sports.

Horizon League 2014 Fall Academic Honor Roll Complete List

Tags: Cleveland State - Academics · Detroit - Academics · Green Bay - Academics · Horizon League - Academics · Milwaukee - Academics · Oakland - Academics · UIC - Academics · Valparaiso - Academics · Wright State - Academics · Youngstown State - Academics

SanityLost17

Quote from: Grizz on January 15, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
I guess you guys are right, we at Oakland don't have a a like school in this league. We have been in the league 3 se3mesters and no one has even been close to us.
-- The 2014 Fall Academic Honor Roll is comprised of 808 student-athletes representing all nine Horizon League institutions and each of the 19 League sponsored sports. As an affiliate member, Belmont distinguished student-athletes only in the sport of men's soccer.

Candidates for the Honor Roll must meet three criteria in order to qualify: 1) participation in at least one of the League's 19 sports during the most recent (or current) season; 2) completion of three semesters (or four quarters, where applicable) as a full-time student at the same member institution; and 3) a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.20 (on a 4.00 scale).

For the third-straight semester, Oakland paced the conference with 125 student-athletes meeting Honor Roll criteria followed closely by Valparaiso with 115. Milwaukee improved its numbers once again by placing 112 student-athletes, while Wright State also increased by positioning 84 to receive accolades. Detroit honors 80 student-athletes as Green Bay and Youngstown State tally 75, respectively. Cleveland State contributed 67 and UIC rounding out the conference accumulating 63 student-athletes on the Honor Roll.

With 108 student-athletes garnering accolades, women's soccer led all Horizon League sports on the Fall Honor Roll. Women's track and field/cross country also hit triple digits with 100, while men's soccer grew its numbers by placing 80 to lead all male sports. Contributing 76, men's track and field/cross country was the fourth-highest sport represented and women's swimming and diving was close behind with 64. Baseball honored 57 student-athletes, with softball (57) and men's swimming and diving (50) next on the list. Contributing at least 30 student-athletes, women's tennis (38) and women's basketball (34) closed out the female sports. Men's golf (28), men's tennis (22) and men's basketball (13) rounded out the League sponsored sports.

Horizon League 2014 Fall Academic Honor Roll Complete List

Tags: Cleveland State - Academics · Detroit - Academics · Green Bay - Academics · Horizon League - Academics · Milwaukee - Academics · Oakland - Academics · UIC - Academics · Valparaiso - Academics · Wright State - Academics · Youngstown State - Academics

I received straight A's during my 1 year of Junior College.   :)   

Just kidding Grizz.  I actually have no problems with your school, but I could not resist. 

I have a suggestion that everybody on all message boards read this book. 
http://www.amazon.com/The-Believing-Brain-Conspiracies-How-Construct/dp/1250008808 
Perhaps once we know why fans from different schools see things so differently, we can all get along a lot better!    :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 15, 2015, 04:46:02 PMJust kidding Grizz.  I actually have no problems with your school,

I agree with this. I never agreed that Valpo should be wanting different kinds of schools in the HL. Oakland is a fine conference opponent and, I believe, a great addition to the HL and should be congratulated for having the most athletes on the honor roll.

He isn't perfect that's for sure but Greg Kampe is one of the better coaches in the HL. I've never understood why Valpo should only support private schools joining the conference. I think Oakland is very similar to Valpo in it's mission. The only difference being where the funding comes from.

valpotx

As stated in another thread, Valpo wouldn't let a kid stay or transfer to their team, that beat the crap out of a woman...I respected Oakland's athletes before, having played against them in baseball, but lost most of my respect for their program once I saw that UT transfer.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 15, 2015, 09:18:53 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 15, 2015, 04:46:02 PMJust kidding Grizz.  I actually have no problems with your school,

I agree with this. I never agreed that Valpo should be wanting different kinds of schools in the HL. Oakland is a fine conference opponent and, I believe, a great addition to the HL and should be congratulated for having the most athletes on the honor roll.

He isn't perfect that's for sure but Greg Kampe is one of the better coaches in the HL. I've never understood why Valpo should only support private schools joining the conference. I think Oakland is very similar to Valpo in it's mission. The only difference being where the funding comes from.

The whole topic of the makeup of the league membership is an interesting one.  Clearly there are examples of like schools sticking together--the Ivy League, the Big East (well, except Butler!!)  One issue that might be a consideration is an academically even playing field.  By this I mean that one school (say a big state school) might accepts students who are great athletes but are majoring in basket weaving.  On the other hand, a private school may not even accept said student for obvious reasons. I don't really think there is a way to "police" this and is just the added challenge facing a coach from a private school.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Watched the JMU - Drexel game from Philly last night... it was 17-12... AT THE HALF ! With the Dukes pulling it out 54-35 at the end... JMU goes to 10-8... the hapless dragons fall to 3-13... sadly slipped into his cave...as green scales fell like rain.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on January 16, 2015, 07:34:04 PMWatched the JMU - Drexel game from Philly last night... it was 17-12... AT THE HALF ! With the Dukes pulling it out 54-35 at the end... JMU goes to 10-8... the hapless dragons fall to 3-13... sadly slipped into his cave...as green scales fell like rain.

I suppose Drexel were really dragon their @ss#s off the court after that game. They certainly weren't ready to put up their dukes to fight.  :P

valpotx

Interesting to see how far Drexel has fallen since a few seasons ago when they were the mid-major talk of the world heading in the tourney.  Just goes to show you how hard it is for a mid-major program to have sustained success like we have been fortunate to have, absent one bad year of unfortunate transfers out.

As long as Drexel keeps producing fantastic interns for my NJ office, I am ok with them being bad in basketball :).  Btw, their campus is a mess within a mess of a city in Philly.  Whatever Engineer was responsible for the design of their streets needs to give back the money that was stolen from that city.  I don't like the feel of in-city schools, I guess, very much preferring the rural feel of a Valpo where the campus can be better laid out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2015, 01:42:31 AMBtw, their campus is a mess within a mess of a city in Philly.  Whatever Engineer was responsible for the design of their streets needs to give back the money that was stolen from that city.  I don't like the feel of in-city schools, I guess, very much preferring the rural feel of a Valpo where the campus can be better laid out.

The blame I believe goes directly to William Penn. He laid out Philadelphia after his father received the grant of land that is Pennsylvania from the king in repayment of a debt owed to the Penns by the country of England. It was a dictatorial position in the new colony for William Penn. He dictated everything about the colony because his family actually owned all the land. The biggest group that moved to the new colony were the Quakers and they had to agree to William Penn's decrees.

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on January 17, 2015, 05:09:26 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2015, 01:42:31 AMBtw, their campus is a mess within a mess of a city in Philly.  Whatever Engineer was responsible for the design of their streets needs to give back the money that was stolen from that city.  I don't like the feel of in-city schools, I guess, very much preferring the rural feel of a Valpo where the campus can be better laid out.

The blame I believe goes directly to William Penn. He laid out Philadelphia after his father received the grant of land that is Pennsylvania from the king in repayment of a debt owed to the Penns by the country of England. It was a dictatorial position in the new colony for William Penn. He dictated everything about the colony because his family actually owned all the land. The biggest group that moved to the new colony were the Quakers and they had to agree to William Penn's decrees.

Okay, good history lesson, but who's responsible for the horrible intersection off 30 to get into the Walmart at Valpo?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk