• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking to January

Started by wh, December 29, 2014, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict our 1st half conference record for the 2014-15 season:

9-0
2 (5.9%)
8-1
11 (32.4%)
7-2
17 (50%)
6-3
4 (11.8%)
5-4
0 (0%)
4-5 or worse
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 02, 2015, 08:18:27 PM

wh

Following a highly successful November (7-1) and an equally impressive December (6-1), it's time to see how we stack up against the rest of the Horizon League.  Following is January's 9-game conference schedule:

Jan   2     at Oakland
Jan   4     Youngstown State
Jan   8     UIC
Jan 10     Cleveland State
Jan 17     at Wright State
Jan 20     at Youngstown State
Jan 23     at Green Bay
Jan 26     Milwaukee
Jan 31     at UIC

valpotx

I see a loss at GB, and I am sure that we will have a bad game somewhere else, but given many of our performances this season, how can we not be favored to win the HL after the non-conference slate?  I am picking 8-1, in the hope that we still win a few ugly games, as we did against Ball State and IPFW.  That's a sign of a good team, when you can win ugly.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Going any better than 7-2 will be almost unimaginably difficult and I feel that even going that far leaves my neck stuck out quite a ways!

78crusader

historyman

Quote from: justducky on December 29, 2014, 09:45:32 PMGoing any better than 7-2 will be almost unimaginably difficult and I feel that even going that far leaves my neck stuck out quite a ways!

What are you afraid of?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

SanityLost17

I think we will lose 2 of the following 3 games.  Not sure which ones, but we all know how hard it is to win on the road in conference.  7-2 in January on our way to a very solid 12-4 conference season. 

@Oakland
@Wright State
@Green Bay   

a3uge

7-2 sounds reasonable. The only thing I worry about is the team's ability to win during the hand-checky hack-and-grab games that we see in the Horizon all the time.

classof2014

So far we have lost the games that we were supposed to lose, and won the games we were supposed to win, thus we're 13-2. We're supposed to lose in GB so we lose, but everyone else we should beat. 8-1 this month, but anywhere from 9-0 to 6-3 is a possibility.

vu84v2

I will take a different direction on 7-2.  Win at GB, but have two hiccups elsewhere.  Agree that anywhere from 6-3 to 9-0 is possible.

EddieCabot

My gut says 7-2, but I voted 8-1 because this team has exceeded my expectations every month so far.  How's that for logic?

Kyle321n

I've been right so far every month. (Granted last month 2/3s of the voters were right, so take that with a grain of salt). And since I've  predicted one loss each month, I'm going to continue my trend. I think they lose at Green Bay. The 3 game road trip isn't going to be easy so I can see us winning an ugly one at YSU in the middle of that. Hopefully we can win the game we put up a clunker. We were able to do that against Ball St.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

beastkiller

I said the go 7-2 they lose Green Bay and at Youngstown state

VUfan

8-1 Wright Sate loss, GB Close  ::)

StlVUFan

Technically, of course, "first half" is imprecise ;)

Interesting that we play UIC and YSU twice in January (and therefore Detroit twice in February).

I figure we lose at Green Bay and there's a decent chance of another loss somewhere, either at Wright State or at home against CSU.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 01, 2015, 12:35:57 PMTechnically, of course, "first half" is imprecise
I noticed that too--last year it was symmetrical, but not this year.  Wonder why--just too hard to do?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

I went with 8-1.  I'd love to see 9-0, baby!