• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Youngstown St at Valpo, Sunday, 1/4/2015 1:35 p.m. CST

Started by bbtds, January 01, 2015, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

I always miss the Roos a bit whenever we get ready to tackle the Penguins.

Chairback

Valpo by 17.

I can see another good game from T. Walker.

wh

Smj

Outcome might depend on which refs show up and who pays them better.    Sorry just kidding (not really)...   just a joke (well not really)   #horizonleagerefsarebad

Smj

wow ...  All I can say is wow.    Just had a couple plays in a row where the refs swallowed their whistles.    Bryce stayed composed but he should not have....

a3uge

The over the back jump ball was pretty hilarious. Can't say I've ever seen that.

oklahomamick

Quote from: Smj on January 04, 2015, 02:01:12 PM
wow ...  All I can say is wow.    Just had a couple plays in a row where the refs swallowed their whistles.    Bruce stayed composed but he should not have....

I know the two plays you were talking about.  What about the jump ball they just called, when it was clearly over the back on Youngstown.  They also missed a travel on Keith Carter
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Alec not playing well again.  Doesn't look good in the post today. 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 04, 2015, 02:07:59 PMThey also missed a travel on Keith Carter
So funny...I saw that, and really chose not to see it, if you know what I mean?  It's like autocorrect for a fan's eyes :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 04, 2015, 02:09:55 PM

I must be watching a different game because he had the first 10 points had at least 5 rebounds in the first 10 minutes and seems to have his hands in a lot of plays?

oklahomamick

Quote from: Smj on January 04, 2015, 02:20:19 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 04, 2015, 02:09:55 PM

I must be watching a different game because he had the first 10 points had at least 5 rebounds in the first 10 minutes and seems to have his hands in a lot of plays?

I started watching with 13 minutes left.  I saw a couple block shots by his defender when going to the basket. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Keith goes down, he's in pain.  This is not good.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofan00

If Keith Carter is sidelined we can kiss this season goodbye. Just when we thought we had a real chance. :'(

VUfan

Good win with poor shooting, hope Keith is not badly hurt.  :(

Valpo2010

According to Todd on the post game show, it was a dislocated toe.  Hopefully not too long to bounce back from that.  Definitely thankful it wasn't as bad as it appeared to be initially. 

valpotx

It looked like he landed on someone's foot, or rolled his ankle on the way down.  Hopefully it is just a few weeks severe sprain.

I know that I am probably thought of as overly positive on Vashil, but how can you not like what this guy brings each game?  He had 8 pts, 13 rbs, and 3-4 blocks (should have 2 more, but they called questionable fouls instead), and he doesn't turn the ball over anymore.  Also, take into account 6-8 shots that he affects each game because the shooter sees him coming, and misses badly because of it. 

We were lucky that our defense and rebounding came to play, as we shot horrendously.  I really hope that Darien is going through a cold streak, and that the first 10 games are a better indication of his ability than the previous 3-4.  He does several other things for the team that help, but we can't have him shooting 20% each game and expect to win, especially when Peters and Tevonn are off too.  Glad to 'escape' with this 15 point win.
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

"Carter did in fact hurt his big toe. Drew: "We will know more in the next couple days." #HLMBB"

--Paul Oren on Twitter
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on January 04, 2015, 03:46:43 PM
It looked like he landed on someone's foot, or rolled his ankle on the way down.  Hopefully it is just a few weeks severe sprain.

I know that I am probably thought of as overly positive on Vashil, but how can you not like what this guy brings each game?  He had 8 pts, 13 rbs, and 3-4 blocks (should have 2 more, but they called questionable fouls instead), and he doesn't turn the ball over anymore.  Also, take into account 6-8 shots that he affects each game because the shooter sees him coming, and misses badly because of it. 

We were lucky that our defense and rebounding came to play, as we shot horrendously.  I really hope that Darien is going through a cold streak, and that the first 10 games are a better indication of his ability than the previous 3-4.  He does several other things for the team that help, but we can't have him shooting 20% each game and expect to win, especially when Peters and Tevonn are off too.  Glad to 'escape' with this 15 point win.

Vashil is big time.  Last year we had another shot blocker and had 5 extra fouls to give.  Do we have a shot blocker for next year? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I think that it would be unfair to expect Smits or Relvao to come in and replace Vashil's shot-blocking ability.  It seems that Relvao has prior success in blocking shots, averaging 3.3 bpg at the 2014 FIBA U18 Championship for Portugal, but you never know how that will translate to the American college game.  From reports by other posters, Smits will have to learn the defensive side a bit more, but he probably has good potential on the shot blocking side as well.  Alec Brown was an offensive threat who learned the defensive side over his last few seasons at GB, and have to think Smits can do the same.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

With Smits Valpo is an entirely different team.  In addition to Ralvao, we add Hammink and Simon, both 6'7".  We may not be able to block as many shots but we will add a fifth scoring option and be much deeper in the front court.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015