• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Youngstown St at Valpo, Sunday, 1/4/2015 1:35 p.m. CST

Started by bbtds, January 01, 2015, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on January 04, 2015, 04:59:58 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 02, 2015, 06:54:32 PM
Valpo 77
YSU 62

Also, nailed the spread, only off by 2 for both Valpo and YSU :).

I parlayed Valpo -13 and Detroit -8.  CSU did not cover their spread of -8 against UIC.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

As expected, after the painful overtime loss Friday, the travel, the emotional weekend for Alec, and the quick turnaround to an early afternoon game, play was often ragged. The shooting was off, especially from long distance. In fact, despite his good numbers of 18 points and 9 rebounds, Alec's face displayed exhaustion in the second half, and tired legs probably contributed to his poor 1-9 from the 3-point line. Still, it never kept him from hustling, even to the point of diving out of bounds after a loose ball when the game was already won, which led him to slightly injure his left hand. Indeed, it appeared to be bleeding a bit, and I was surprised the Youngstown players didn't bring it to the attention of the refs to try and get Alec out of the game.

Vashil played a very good game, collecting 8 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks, outplaying Hain, who is considered by some to be the best center in the league. Though, it should be noted that Alec also seemed to be guarding Hain quite a bit during the game. In addition, Rik and Derrik Smits were at the game, and it was good for Vashil to show Derrik how to play center for Valpo.

Nevertheless, Keith Carter was the obvious story of the game. His double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds were evidence that perhaps he was having the best game of his Valpo career, and he was showing everyone the player fans had hoped he would become. Then he got injured, and the whole place went silent. I was as close as anyone and I got the whole play with my camera, and honestly there was nothing to indicate a problem until he fell to the ground. I could see his face, and he seemed to be in great pain. At first, I though it was a season-ending broken ankle or knee injury, but he grabbed the toe of his left shoe. Also, though I am a doctor, I'm not a medical doctor; still, the way Rod Moore was treating Keith seemed different than I would have expected if it were the ankle or knee. In the post-game conference Bryce said it was his big toe, and I heard speculation that it might be dislocated. Let's hope it isn't severe or a long-lasting injury. It would be a shame to have Carter sidelined just when he was beginning to reach the heights of play he had wanted to achieve.

Here is my photo of Rod Moore assisting Carter, as Hammink and Levingston-Simon prepare to carry Keith off the court. This image seemed to capture the crucial moment of the game, perhaps of the season. However, most interesting for me is the concern and empathy on the face of Lexus, as well as the sight of David Chadwick sitting on the bench, where he spent the whole time with head down, apparently praying for his teammate.     

valpotx

Any update on if Chadwick is out for the season, or just needing a really long rest?

Good to know that Smits was at the game, to see some of the fundamental things that Vashil has learned.  I forgot to mention some of the plays he makes where he seals of his defender to let someone drive to the basket.  That created several layups for Nickerson and Tevonn, and is not often mentioned.  Vashil will be playing somewhere in Europe, probably in a middle-tier league, and still has a really solid upside.  If he can get that sky hook to drop, there isn't anyone that can defend that type of shot with his length. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

It was the play that he threw the alley hoop to E.Victor? 
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

Alec did a nice job despite his poor outside shooting. Some folks here seem to think he can't play inside. When those threes aren't dropping he is playing under the hoop, posting dudes up, getting buckets, getting offensive rebounds, and/or getting to the line. Drew does a great job getting Alec in positions where he can be successful.

Great game Vashil. I liked him playing off Hain. He was able to roam and help and had no fouls until late in the second half. Keith was great, get well fast! D.Walker has a funny looking shot, is it just me (it can't be just me). I hope it starts working for him again. I thought Jubril has played well, well better, these first two conference games.

HC

KVW was an expert at that seal off the defender for a layup by your teammate move! Glad Vashil has picked it up.

wh

Not sure I've noticed this before, but Slocum was doing a lot of animated complaining throughout the game, as well as bending some ref's ear about something at nearly every time out.  Moreover, when Bryce called a substitution time out with less than a minute left, he shook his head and waved his hand in Bryce's direction to show his disgust. He came off kind of looking like a cry baby.  I don't know if that's typical Slocum, or if he was just having a bad day. 

valpotx

Slocum is just pissed that we are 14-2 against YSU since entering the HL, and has always been whiny. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: valpopal on January 04, 2015, 05:59:25 PM

As expected, after the painful overtime loss Friday, the travel, the emotional weekend for Alec, and the quick turnaround to an early afternoon game, play was often ragged. The shooting was off, especially from long distance. In fact, despite his good numbers of 18 points and 9 rebounds, Alec's face displayed exhaustion in the second half, and tired legs probably contributed to his poor 1-9 from the 3-point line. Still, it never kept him from hustling, even to the point of diving out of bounds after a loose ball when the game was already won, which led him to slightly injure his left hand. Indeed, it appeared to be bleeding a bit, and I was surprised the Youngstown players didn't bring it to the attention of the refs to try and get Alec out of the game.

Vashil played a very good game, collecting 8 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks, outplaying Hain, who is considered by some to be the best center in the league. Though, it should be noted that Alec also seemed to be guarding Hain quite a bit during the game. In addition, Rik and Derrik Smits were at the game, and it was good for Vashil to show Derrik how to play center for Valpo.

Nevertheless, Keith Carter was the obvious story of the game. His double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds were evidence that perhaps he was having the best game of his Valpo career, and he was showing everyone the player fans had hoped he would become. Then he got injured, and the whole place went silent. I was as close as anyone and I got the whole play with my camera, and honestly there was nothing to indicate a problem until he fell to the ground. I could see his face, and he seemed to be in great pain. At first, I though it was a season-ending broken ankle or knee injury, but he grabbed the toe of his left shoe. Also, though I am a doctor, I'm not a medical doctor; still, the way Rod Moore was treating Keith seemed different than I would have expected if it were the ankle or knee. In the post-game conference Bryce said it was his big toe, and I heard speculation that it might be dislocated. Let's hope it isn't severe or a long-lasting injury. It would be a shame to have Carter sidelined just when he was beginning to reach the heights of play he had wanted to achieve.

Here is my photo of Rod Moore assisting Carter, as Hammink and Levingston-Simon prepare to carry Keith off the court. This image seemed to capture the crucial moment of the game, perhaps of the season. However, most interesting for me is the concern and empathy on the face of Lexus, as well as the sight of David Chadwick sitting on the bench, where he spent the whole time with head down, apparently praying for his teammate.     

What other message board has it's own game photographer?  Tremendous, as always!

valpo4life

If the speculation of Keith's injury being a dislocated big toe. I personally breathe a sigh of relief. That is something that is extremely painful, but once popped back into place isn't too serious because dealing with soreness. Not saying to expect him back for the next game or anything. Just suggesting he may be able to make a quicker recovery than everyone was thinking as he was carried off the court. Another thing in our favor is we only play 2 games between today and January 17th when we are at Wright State. Schedule working in our favor here. Just trying to be positive here   :)

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpo4life on January 04, 2015, 08:11:18 PM
If the speculation of Keith's injury being a dislocated big toe. I personally breathe a sigh of relief. That is something that is extremely painful, but once popped back into place isn't too serious because dealing with soreness. Not saying to expect him back for the next game or anything. Just suggesting he may be able to make a quicker recovery than everyone was thinking as he was carried off the court. Another thing in our favor is we only play 2 games between today and January 17th when we are at Wright State. Schedule working in our favor here. Just trying to be positive here   :)

I hate to be Debbie downer but I found this when searching dislocated toes.  Obviously, we will know exactly Keith Carter's situation at the end of the week. 

Siena forward to miss a month after dislocating a toe on his right foot

Raphielle Johnson
Dec 6, 2014, 4:56 PM EST

After dropping their first two games of the season the Siena Saints have won three of their last four, most recently beating Quinnipiac 88-67 in the MAAC opener for both Friday night. Unfortunately for head coach Jimmy Patsos the victory was a costly one, as senior forward Brett Bisping went down with a dislocated toe on his right foot.

According to a report from Mark Singelais of the Albany Times-Union, the injury is expected to sideline the starter for at least a month.

"We're going to need them because Brett Bisping's hurt and he's going to be out at least a month," Patsos said. "I don't know what it is. I'm not a doctor. But I said, `Hammer (Siena athletic trainer Greg Dashnaw's nickname), week or a month?' A month, and there wasn't hesitation. So we'll see if our depth plays in."
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2015, 07:26:23 PMWhat other message board has it's own game photographer?  Tremendous, as always!

Thanks, wh!

valpopal

Quote from: HC on January 04, 2015, 06:20:36 PMKVW was an expert at that seal off the defender for a layup by your teammate move! Glad Vashil has picked it up.

Good point, HC! Here's an example:

FWalum

Any who are expecting Keith to play this coming week would be engaging in wishful thinking.  However, it would be great if wishes come true.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2015, 06:41:41 PM
Not sure I've noticed this before, but Slocum was doing a lot of animated complaining throughout the game, as well as bending some ref's ear about something at nearly every time out.  Moreover, when Bryce called a substitution time out with less than a minute left, he shook his head and waved his hand in Bryce's direction to show his disgust. He came off kind of looking like a cry baby.  I don't know if that's typical Slocum, or if he was just having a bad day. 

Yes, that is very much the everyday, run of the mill, Slocum. He has been that way ever since he took over at YSU. Before this current job at YSU, Slocum was a successful NAIA and Div.II coach at Nyack College (75-89), Geneva College (87-96) and Gannon University (96-05) and they say he was the very same way.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on January 04, 2015, 09:37:42 PM
Quote from: wh on January 04, 2015, 07:26:23 PMWhat other message board has it's own game photographer?  Tremendous, as always!

Thanks, wh!

So you didn't "like" this post. hmmmmmmmm. Wonder what Laporte thinks of that.  ;)

valpotx

Come on Valpopal, give the credit on the point to the individual that made it first lol ;)!  Yes, I want all of the glory, and none of the criticism in life :).

Quote from: valpotx on January 04, 2015, 06:13:54 PM
Any update on if Chadwick is out for the season, or just needing a really long rest?

Good to know that Smits was at the game, to see some of the fundamental things that Vashil has learned.  I forgot to mention some of the plays he makes where he seals of his defender to let someone drive to the basket.  That created several layups for Nickerson and Tevonn, and is not often mentioned.  Vashil will be playing somewhere in Europe, probably in a middle-tier league, and still has a really solid upside.  If he can get that sky hook to drop, there isn't anyone that can defend that type of shot with his length. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on January 04, 2015, 11:40:59 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 04, 2015, 09:37:42 PM

Thanks, wh!

So you didn't "like" this post. hmmmmmmmm. Wonder what Laporte thinks of that.  ;)

Actually, I almost always review messages in the "latest posts" format, which for some reason doesn't display the "like" button.

Kyle321n

Ugliest 15 point win ever? Quite possibly.

I constantly forget how goofy Hain looks in person but he is a load to handle and has some really good back to the basket skills. If only they had some complementary players around him, maybe a 6' guard who can create his own shots, scores about 21 points a game, dishes out around 4 assists and gets 2 steals on the defensive side. If he could be a solid rebounder for his size, say 3-4 boards per game, and could get to the free throw line, then I think this team would be competitive. (What I'm trying to say is I miss watching Kendrick Perry play because he was my favorite guard in the league)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer