• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UIC at Valpo, Jan. 8

Started by valpopal, January 05, 2015, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Excellent preview interview with Coach Drew by Todd. Bryce appears optimistic about Keith's condition:

Valpo Basketball Preview 1|5|15

covufan

We need to play 40!

Valpo  77
UIC     59

HC

Valpo by 11 without Keith...Valpo by 22 with a healthy Keith

valpotx

Without Keith:

Valpo 71
UIC 61

With Keith:

Valpo 75
UIC 57
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo4life

We will win by double digits with or without Keith. I'd prefer he doesn't play even if he can go at whatever percentage you want to call it. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this game is the return of Jay Harris! We're doing just fine without him, but boy do I miss his free throw shooting. Guy was money from the line.

Valpo 76
UIC 62

wh

If Jay were still a Crusader, he would no longer be a Crusader  ;)

circle70

Quote from: wh on January 06, 2015, 02:23:53 PM
If Jay were still a Crusader, he would no longer be a Crusader  ;)

UIC fan here.  You're probably right about Harris.  He got kicked off the team at Wagner and was suspended for his first 3 games at UIC.  Howard Moore is so desperate for any decent talent, that he will go for guys with questionable character (like Barlow last year). 
By the way, he leads UIC in scoring at 14.2 PPG and hits his free throws at a 92.5% rate.

wh

Sorry, I didn't mean anything derogatory. I just meant that had Jay stayed at Valpo he would have used up his eligibility last year. Thus, he wouldn't be a part of this year's roster.

LaPorteAveApostle

Now that Hayden Humes is gone this gives us something to look forward to.

Gosh that was a while ago, huh?  Class of 2010?  We're now looking at recruiting 2016?!?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Currently, the weather outside in Valpo is similar to a blizzard as students cross campus for the first day of classes, and the weather Thursday promises to be even colder with morning temperatures forecast to be about -15 and wind chills in the minus-forties. Therefore, I expect attendance tomorrow evening to be negatively influenced. However, if you are going to the game, remember to arrive early since Jim Cornelison is scheduled to return to the ARC and sing the National Anthem as seen below in my photo from last year.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on January 07, 2015, 09:08:27 AM

Currently, the weather outside in Valpo is similar to a blizzard as students cross campus for the first day of classes, and the weather Thursday promises to be even colder with morning temperatures forecast to be about -15 and wind chills in the minus-forties. Therefore, I expect attendance tomorrow evening to be negatively influenced. However, if you are going to the game, remember to arrive early since Jim Cornelison is scheduled to return to the ARC and sing the National Anthem as seen below in my photo from last year.

Chilly in Dallas today also!  Currently only 35, but sunny.  I'll curl up with an extra blanket to watch the game.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

The wind chill warning will expire by noon tomorrow. 

Basketball is played in the winter months.  In the Midwest that translates to cold and snow.  Dress warmly, and get out of the house!
Beamin' Beacons

Kyle321n

I'm hoping we win easily and this is a game where Max Joseph can see some run at PG. I'd like to see what he can do with Keith out. I think we start E. to run the point though. I really liked the way he played in the second half against YSU.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

E. VICTOR NICKERSON
Executive Vice-Chancellor to the Provost For Stratgery Resources & Point Guard Heightvantage
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

bbtds

I wouldn't assume any wins in the conference season. Anything could happen with the way the Crusaders' shooting sometimes goes cold. If Keith doesn't play and Alec plus Darien's shooting is as cold as the weather it might be a tough game to win. I still think Valpo will pull out a victory with their overall talent but it may be a lot closer in score than everyone, including the odds makers, think. 

UIC     58
Valpo   62

wh

Keith Carter likely sidelined as Valparaiso welcomes Jay Harris, UIC to ARC

The toe was popped back into place — also a painful ordeal, as one would imagine — which should help the healing process. But Carter, who was unavailable for comment, was on crutches on Wednesday, with a boot on his foot.

http://posttrib.chicagotribune.com/sports/32068576-556/mens-basketball-keith-carter-likely-sidelined-as-valparaiso-welcomes-jay-harris-uic-to-arc.html#.VK4XTL5FMZY

talksalot

From the UIC Game Notes:

A Win at Valpo would...
...give UIC its first 2-1 Horizon League start since the 2007-08 season ... give UIC six
wins which matches its season total from last year ... give UIC its first victory against
Valpo since Feb. 15, 2009 ... give UIC its first road win of the year. .

talking about OOC schedule:

Tough Schedule
UIC has played a tough non-league schedule this
season with games against SMU (10-4), Dayton
(11-2), Yale (10-5) and Northwestern (10-5). To
date the Flames' opponents hold a combined
record of 100-85. UIC is one of 47 of the 351
D-I programs in the nation to have its opponents
total 100 wins so far this season. Fellow league
member Oakland has a combined opponent win
total of 106, while Providence tops the list at 131

One of the Nation's Best
The Flames have been one of the nation's best
free-throw shooting teams so far this season as UIC
is averaging 75.1 percent (284-of-378). That figure
currently ranks 13th in the country and tops in the
Horizon League, while UIC's 284 made free throws
ranks 3rd in the NCAA. UIC touts nine players that
are shooting above 70 percent from the charity
stripe.

and more on Mr. Harris:

30 and Counting
Jay Harris has made 30 consecutive free throws
dating back to Dec. 11 when UIC defeated Central
Florida. That total ranks tied for the third longest
streak in program history with former Flame Tony
Freeman. The top spot is held by Josh Mayo who
sank 38 straight foul shots which spanned across
the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Out of 67 free throw
attempts this season, Harris has missed a mere five
shots.

Harris is a Scoring Machine
Fifth-year senior Jay Harris dropped a game-high 25
points against Youngstown State this past Friday and
added 13 against Cleveland State on Sunday. Harris
has scored in double figures in nine of his 13 games
this season. He ranks first on the team in scoring
(14.2) and ninth in the Horizon League.

and I'm confident someone on this board will find something interesting in this list

2014-15 UIC RECORD WHEN...
At Home..........................................................5-4
On the Road ...................................................0-6
Neutral Site.....................................................0-2
Leading at Halftime.........................................2-0
Trailing at Halftime........................................2-12
Tied at Halftime ..............................................1-0
Scoring fewer than 50 points..........................0-3
Scoring 50-59 points.......................................0-1
Scoring 60-69 points.......................................1-6
Scoring 70-79 points.......................................3-2
Scoring 80-89 points.......................................1-0
Scoring 90 points or more ..............................0-0
Opponent scores fewer than 50 points...........1-0
Opponent scores 50-59 points .......................0-0
Opponent scores 60-69 points .......................2-5
Opponent scores 70-79 points .......................2-6
Opponent scores 80-89 points .......................0-1
Opponent scores 90 or more..........................0-0
Shooting under 30 percent .............................0-3
Shooting 30-39 percent ..................................2-7
Shooting 40-49 percent ..................................3-2
Shooting 50+ percent .....................................0-0
Opponent shoots under 30 percent................1-0
Opponent shoots 30-39 percent.....................1-0
Opponent shoots 40-49 percent.....................3-6
Opponent shoots 50+ percent........................0-6
Outrebounding opponent................................5-5
Outrebounded by opponent............................0-7
Making 7 or more three-pointers ....................2-2
Shoots better than 35 percent on threes ........2-1
Games decided by 1-5 points.........................1-4
Games decided by 6-10 points.......................1-3
Games decided by 11-19 points.....................2-3
Games decided by 20+ points........................1-2
Games following a loss...................................4-8
Games following a victory...............................1-4
Overtime games .............................................0-1
Day games .....................................................1-6
Night games ...................................................4-6
In November...................................................2-5
In December...................................................2-6
In January.......................................................1-1

and if you're looking at the kind of game Vashil might have... their tallest possible line up by height is 6'9 - 6'8 - 6'8 - 6'7 - 6'7

They have 42 season blocks... vs their opponents have 89.

Kyle321n

I was going to write this up and talksalot gave a great lead in for me.

If you look most of UIC's games they have shot between under 40%. Out of 351 Division 1 Teams UIC ranks 341st in 3P% and 338th in 2P%. Their effective FG% is 4th worst in the country. Their "tough" schedule includes only 4 top 100 KenPom teams and 6 teams outside of the top 225. Their "difficult" schedule is ranked 155th in the country and it's not like they played well against the tough teams. They are allowing 14.8% of their shots to be blocked, good for 341st in the country. We block 13.7% of the shots that go up against us (44th best in the country).

Here's the key to the game. Keep them off the free throw line. They hit free throws. Make they shoot 2s and 3s because they won't make them. 26.8% of their scoring comes from the free throw line.

Vashil I have one thought for you.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 07, 2015, 09:43:32 AMThe wind chill warning will expire by noon tomorrow. Basketball is played in the winter months.  In the Midwest that translates to cold and snow.  Dress warmly, and get out of the house!

When exactly is the wind chill warning expiring. It's now less than 4 hours till tip off and the wind chill is -18 F and the current temperature is 5 F. It's snowing again.

Exactly when is the weather going to get better? Noon? I don't think that forecast was very accurate.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

For most of us if we were as wrong as weather people are with their predictions we wouldn't even be employed. I haven't decided on going or watching from yet. Having a new tv and E sPN3 through the xbox is making this a tough choice.

humbleopinion

Quote from: historyman on January 08, 2015, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 07, 2015, 09:43:32 AMThe wind chill warning will expire by noon tomorrow. Basketball is played in the winter months.  In the Midwest that translates to cold and snow.  Dress warmly, and get out of the house!

When exactly is the wind chill warning expiring. It's now less than 4 hours till tip off and the wind chill is -18 F and the current temperature is 5 F. It's snowing again.

Exactly when is the weather going to get better? Noon? I don't think that forecast was very accurate.

We are merely in an advisory right now, but as I was about to open the page, I was thinking about what I had posted.  I still plan to dress warmly, get out of the house, and go to the game.  Others have not been so eager.  I have not been able to find anyone to claim two tickets that I have.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on January 08, 2015, 03:59:41 PM
@3:58PM Central time... it was 7.3 degrees with a Wind Chill of -9.4

http://ww2.netnitco.net/~vch/CityhallWeather/Current_Vantage.htm

But,  it is warming RAPIDLY, as at 4:21 it is 7.9 and the wind chill has improved  to -8.6!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hailcrusaders

Oooh I can help here.

NWS Chicago issues wind chill warnings when the wind chill is expected to be -30F or colder with winds of 10 mph or greater. We did get there for a few hours last night:

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KVPZ.html

A wind chill advisory is when the wind chill is expected to be -20F or less with winds of 10 mph or greater. Wind chill at Porter Co. Mun. was actually -12F as of 4 o'clock, not even meeting advisory criteria.  However, as temps fall overnight, I'm sure the wind chill will drop down again. We should also see an inch or two of snow overnight.

I will agree that the crowd may be a little thin tonight. People will say "the weather is nasty", not "the wind chill is only -15, let's go."

In regards to game strategy, UIC's weakness in shots being blocked and their strength in FT shooting may mean that much of the game could be left up to what does and does not get called a foul in the lane. Fortunately, I'm a little less nervous on the officiating in front of a home crowd.
#CrusadersForever