• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UIC at Valpo, Jan. 8

Started by valpopal, January 05, 2015, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUfan

HC

If there is such a thing as a pretty huge game this early in the conference season....Saturday night would be it.

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, and i'd feel a lot better if i knew keith would be back...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 08, 2015, 09:24:47 PM

According to Luke Gore in the post game radio interview, Keith will not play Saturday.  Todd asked him twice.  The first time sounded like 'no.'  The second time was a definite 'no.'

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2015, 09:47:07 PM

According to Luke Gore in the post game radio interview, Keith will not play Saturday.  Todd asked him twice.  The first time sounded like 'no.'  The second time was a definite 'no.'

Homer said before the game that there was torn ligament in addition to the dislocation.  I'm not a trainer, but it didn't sound as if a quick return would be likely.  Luke sounded much more optimistic in the interview.
Beamin' Beacons

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 08, 2015, 09:24:47 PMyeah, and i'd feel a lot better if i knew keith would be back...

Todd did preface the question by saying nobody truly knows the answer and then Luke Gore said he thought it was very doubtful but he also added you never ever count a guy like Keith out and that it didn't look very likely. Of course that is in my own words.

Basically everyone is guessing and there always is a chance but it is unlikely.

I think it comes down to how much pain that Keith can take while trying to run on some very tender ligaments in his foot. From the history that Keith had at SLU he tried to play hurt at SLU and thought he shouldn't have tried to play hurt. He left the SLU program because of the decision Jim Crews made to have him play and because Majerus had passed away and Majerus was the reason he came to SLU.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

Quote from: HC on January 08, 2015, 09:20:47 PM
If there is such a thing as a pretty huge game this early in the conference season....Saturday night would be it.

I agree for 2 reasons.  First, whoever wins the league will almost definitely run the table at home, and secondly, we already have a loss.  To go 2-2 in our first 4 conference games would be a disaster.     

SanityLost17

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 08, 2015, 09:59:21 PM

Homer said before the game that there was torn ligament in addition to the dislocation.  I'm not a trainer, but it didn't sound as if a quick return would be likely.  Luke sounded much more optimistic in the interview.

A dislocated toe is pretty serious and I think the coaches are being "optimistic" in order to keep their opponents guessing.  I am guessing 4 weeks minimum.   

a3uge

Just remember, Jay Harris was the highest rated Valpo has had since Bryce.

LaPorteAveApostle

i think we were confused the "89" was actually his ft%

also i have been waiting to repost this link to Mr. Tai Odiase, as I originally posted it after he committed to UIC:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.msg35586#msg35586

hailcrusaders

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 08, 2015, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 08, 2015, 09:24:47 PMyeah, and i'd feel a lot better if i knew keith would be back...
A dislocated toe is pretty serious and I think the coaches are being "optimistic" in order to keep their opponents guessing.  I am guessing 4 weeks minimum.

Hate to agree but I think I have to. No doctor obviously, but to me "torn ligament" does not equal "will only miss one (or two, or three) game(s)"
#CrusadersForever

Valpofan00

Anyone else notice how bad Alec has played in conference play? Don't let him slide for the passing of his grandfather anymore. It's time to play.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 08, 2015, 10:27:49 PMAnyone else notice how bad Alec has played in conference play? Don't let him slide for the passing of his grandfather anymore. It's time to play.

Apparently he cut his hand rather badly diving for a loose ball the other day, and it was bothering him a bit today. Thank goodness we didn't need him to go off.
#CrusadersForever

wh

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 08, 2015, 10:26:50 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 08, 2015, 10:20:48 PM

Hate to agree but I think I have to. No doctor obviously, but to me "torn ligament" does not equal "will only miss one (or two, or three) game(s)"

It doesn't sound like Keith's return is anytime soon:

Valpo Basketball Press Conference: UIC 1|8|15

wh

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2015, 10:31:49 PM
Valpo Basketball Press Conference: UIC 1|8|15

It never ceases to amaze me how much maturity and character our guys show when they're in the spotlight.  Everything they say is totally team-focused - "...just trying to be a good teammate," "doing what I can to contribute to the team," etc.  Nothing sounds contrived; it's just what they're about. 

bbtds

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 08, 2015, 07:54:13 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 08, 2015, 07:42:42 PM
Why did J.Harris leave? 

2 fouls early

Are you talking about in the game tonight or his 2 suspensions (1 at Wagner and 1 at UIC)?   :lol:

valpopal

Though the overall play of the team seemed admirable, especially the great game by Vashil (6-6 from the field, 4 blocks, and 0 turnovers) and the continuing improvement of Jubril, who had 10 pts. and 9 rebs. to just miss a double-double, the evening appeared to provide an introduction to Max Joseph. Max took advantage of the opportunity created with Keith's injury by shooting 3-3 (2-2 on 3-point shots) for a career high of 9 pts. while committing only 1 turnover in 26 minutes of play, and presenting me with an opportunity to include my photo of Max scoring his two-point basket. Joseph also had 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a block for a well-rounded game. [PS: In addition, I had the pleasure of another introduction at the game, as I had a chance to meet Valpospartan!)

oklahomamick

I was talking about the why he left valpo.  I suppose it was recruiting and brining in two guards.  He has been suspended several times at his last two stops.  Was his behavior ever an issue at valpo?
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 08, 2015, 10:27:49 PM
Anyone else notice how bad Alec has played in conference play? Don't let him slide for the passing of his grandfather anymore. It's time to play.

Not sure what game you watched. In 25 minutes he put up 11 and 6 on 5 of 9 shooting. Did he miss 2 threes? Yes, but he dominated inside the paint and wasn't noticably poor on defense (or great really, he was there defensively). If you're looking for a super star performance every night, that's not Alec's game. He can take over a game when needed, but if others are getting off, he's going to let them take advantage of that.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo95

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2015, 10:18:23 PM
Quote from: HC on January 08, 2015, 09:20:47 PM

I agree for 2 reasons.  First, whoever wins the league will almost definitely run the table at home, and secondly, we already have a loss.  To go 2-2 in our first 4 conference games would be a disaster.     

I beg to differ: While Saturday is a big game, losing would not be a disaster - Cleveland State is 3-0 in conference, but their best conference win was at home against Oakland 65-61, the same Oakland team that VU lost to in an away game in overtime.   

Valpo is 15-3 and 2-1 in conference.  Was there anyone out there that predicted that the team would be 15-3 at this point in the season?  Saturday will be a good test for the team, and I expect it will be a competitive game against two of the top teams in the conference.  We all want to see another win, but a competitive loss is not a disaster.

Valpo89

First time I've seen a VU game in person this season vs. a Division I team.
UIC is awful, with Jay Harris. Without him, UIC would be triple awful.
How does Howard Moore remain the UIC coach?

Impressive performance by the Crusaders. I thought E. Victor did a good job, but if I'm the UIC coach I have my guys go after him a LOT harder than what they did.
I imagine Gary Waters already has that figured out.

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo95 on January 09, 2015, 10:17:09 AM

Valpo is 15-3 and 2-1 in conference.  Was there anyone out there that predicted that the team would be 15-3 at this point in the season?   

Hi, if you go back and look at the monthly predictions, up to this point I had them at 16-2. Find me an unwinnable game on the schedule.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 09, 2015, 10:32:51 AMif you go back and look at the monthly predictions, up to this point I had them at 16-2. Find me an unwinnable game on the schedule.
I can't find any unwinnable games but without Carter I can't find many that can not be lost. OK so you have to play the cards you are dealt and even with Keith out I would liken our situation to being dealt "kings-up" in a draw hand (good but not great). If Keith is out or badly hobbled for the rest of the month there is a fair chance that we finish January with at least 4 losses even if we play pretty well overall.

Injuries are always part of the game but getting any more could be devastating! I wonder if Bryce is out walking the VU hallways trying to scout out some potential walk-ons?