• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UIC at Valpo, Jan. 8

Started by valpopal, January 05, 2015, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Quote from: justducky on January 09, 2015, 11:20:26 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on January 09, 2015, 10:32:51 AMif you go back and look at the monthly predictions, up to this point I had them at 16-2. Find me an unwinnable game on the schedule.
I can't find any unwinnable games but without Carter I can't find many that can not be lost. OK so you have to play the cards you are dealt and even with Keith out I would liken our situation to being dealt "kings-up" in a draw hand (good but not great). If Keith is out or badly hobbled for the rest of the month there is a fair chance that we finish January with at least 4 losses even if we play pretty well overall.

Injuries are always part of the game but getting any more could be devastating! I wonder if Bryce is out walking the VU hallways trying to scout out some potential walk-ons?

Oh I was talking about the games we've already played. I agree that we could very well struggle without Keith. I think Saturday will be very telling.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2015, 10:27:53 AMI thought E. Victor did a good job, but if I'm the UIC coach I have my guys go after him a LOT harder than what they did.
I imagine Gary Waters already has that figured out.
Given that it is the "no holds barred" CSU team coming to town I hope that everybody will be taped and padded up to the extent that the whole team could be mistaken for a group of Sumo wrestlers.

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on January 09, 2015, 11:20:26 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on January 09, 2015, 10:32:51 AMif you go back and look at the monthly predictions, up to this point I had them at 16-2. Find me an unwinnable game on the schedule.
I can't find any unwinnable games but without Carter I can't find many that can not be lost. OK so you have to play the cards you are dealt and even with Keith out I would liken our situation to being dealt "kings-up" in a draw hand (good but not great). If Keith is out or badly hobbled for the rest of the month there is a fair chance that we finish January with at least 4 losses even if we play pretty well overall.

Injuries are always part of the game but getting any more could be devastating! I wonder if Bryce is out walking the VU hallways trying to scout out some potential walk-ons?
Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2015, 10:27:53 AMImpressive performance by the Crusaders. I thought E. Victor did a good job, but if I'm the UIC coach I have my guys go after him a LOT harder than what they did.
UIC ball pressure was nonexistent and their D in general was poor dreadful.  We will be seeing a ton of increased pressure on our guards and I think will have trouble handling it against CSU. 

We can win all of these games, but without Keith it just got exponetially harder.  And NO Bryce is not out walking the halls looking for walk-ons.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 08, 2015, 10:27:49 PM
Anyone else notice how bad Alec has played in conference play? Don't let him slide for the passing of his grandfather anymore. It's time to play.
I don't agree. I don't see how you thought Alec had a "bad" game. Please explain what made it a "bad" game for Alec. I would actually call it a fair to good game for Alec.

VULB#62

BBTDS, I agree.  Bryce has sold these kids on unselfish play and there is no "I" in team.  They are playing that way and Alec is right in there.  i was watching some of the highlights on the VUATHLETICS release.  Alec scores when it's his turn and in the flow of the game.  Don't you think opponent's game plan is to overload on Alec?  Against UIC it was the Vashil show -- I loved seeing that.  If this keeps evolving, by the HL tournament, opponents won't know who to focus on (see background below).

Background:  I'm from New England and lived through the Celtics runs under Auerbach, Russell, Cowens eras and absolutely loved seeing 6-7 guys always in double figures and never the same guy being the leader.  I follow the Pat's religiously and love the fact that the guy who ran for 206 yards one week is deactivated the next -- and they win again.  This VU team has to be ready to win if Alec is taken out of the game plan. If KC is out, the next guys steps in (looking that way, no?).  We lose Vashil, so we go small and run an opponent off the floor. 

Being a FB guy, I'm probably out of sync with all of you BB gurus, but I like what I think I see Bryce doing.

BTW:  I LOVE THE FACT THAT THE TO'S ARE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS LATELY.  That's good for the youth of this squad.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2015, 10:27:53 AM
First time I've seen a VU game in person this season vs. a Division I team.
UIC is awful, with Kelsey Barlow. Without him, UIC would be triple awful.
How does Howard Moore remain the UIC coach?

Impressive performance by the Crusaders. I thought LaVonte did a good job, but if I'm the UIC coach I have my guys go after him a LOT harder than what they did.

backdated it for you to make it even more a timeless comment
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Max Joseph looked very confident after his first few minutes.  He wasn't pressing as much as when he knows that he is only getting 2-3 minutes.  He looked like he belonged, and is pretty quick in his own right.  I think that he will show this again now that he knows that he needs to be a solid contributor throughout the games while Keith is out, and not just try to 'show something' in limited action to gain more playing time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on January 09, 2015, 01:05:20 AM
. [PS: In addition, I had the pleasure of another introduction at the game, as I had a chance to meet Valpospartan!)

The pleasure was all mine, Pal!
Nice pic of Max.

valpopal

I have now posted a photo gallery at the following link with 25 images from the UIC game for all to enjoy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157650200373862/

valpotx

Since this was Vashil's game, how many people knew that he already received his Bachelor's degree from VU, and just had a kid in November?  Yes, I am connected to him on FB lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"